Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick v. Wexford, SHC QF, Semple Stadium @ 2pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭shmeee

Fireball07 wrote: »
    If Wexford were only allocated 2,000 seated tickets and every other county competing got more, then that is unfair, they have a right to complain. How many seated tickets did every other county get, do we know this?

I don't think Wexford really expected the venue to be moved, and it's never going to happen at this stage... I don't think anybody expects this to sell out. That is just sensationalism to try and get more tickets, which is fair enough.

I don't have a problem with Wexford creating a fuss to try and get as many tickets as possible for their fans if there is a big demand.

To be honest seated tickets are difficult to come by in Tipp also but no one is complaining yet, they always surface! I've mine got so am happy, a few rang me today asking for tickets also and nothing I could do really, but have them in mind as come Friday and Saturday they will be sent back from other counties and so. And I'd be confident on getting my hands on some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

So they have to have 30,000 fans for the allocation of 2,000 to be a joke?

If Kilkenny or Limerick got 2,000 stand tickets I can't see people taking it lying down. There will be more, but there wouldn't if everyone put up and shut up.

Saying that Wex have 30,000 looking for 2,000 tickets is rubbish and you know it. At the moment, Wex have 2,000 stand tickets and come Thurs/Fri that will double/treble.

Don't know how many more times we have to explain it.
    There will be PLENTY tickets for this game.
    Late last Sunday night, Old Stand tickets (best stand in Thurles) could be bought on tickets.ie and printed there and then at no extra cost. I don't know at what stage they sold out but I assume it was sometime Monday.

Personally, I forwarded my name to my club last weekend for a ticket.
    Tomorrow night our tickets will be distributed, I will get a ticket, it may be a stand or a terrace, I don't know. Just happy that my team are still in the championship and I will be there to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

There's only on reason for the clamour over tickets. This is going to be the end of the road for WX. It's going to boil down to who can convert more of their chances. In spite of some wastefulness in the Munster final, I think LK have the better forwards. I also think their backs can contain the WX forwards and keep their scoring low. In Mulcahy and Dowling, LK have real goal threat. Rossiter will be sorely missed here. They didn't score a goal in the MF as they were outnumbered (due to their own tactics). I would love to see WX do it and make the semi but I think this match has come too soon in their development.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

34k last year and 39k the previous year ,pretty good attendances .

Bit higher than I realised in 2012 thats not too bad I suppose, still think low thirties is mildly disappointimg for a double header at that stage but I guess alot depends on what teams are involved, how far they have to travel and how optimistic the supporters are etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Came on here hoping to read about the game have instead sifted through four pages of ****e about tickets. Whoever wants a ticket will get one end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

There were a few hundred Wexford supporters in Ennis a few weeks ago and now they are looking for thousands of tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

How about this? After giving up hope of getting a stand ticket online I decided to settle for a terrace one. So I went to book one for the Town End and got this:

Under the heading "Seat" : G18 848

Ok so I cancelled that and tried under Killinan End and got

G10 286

Whats all that about???

And to everyone saying there will be plenty of tickets on Thursday and Friday...where? It says all stands sold out. Not everyone has access to a club.

Tickets were on sale since early last week (of course I was lazy, and waited) so I suppose in fairness to Wexford they couldnt buy them at that stage. County allocation is different.

h

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

There were a few hundred Wexford supporters in Ennis a few weeks ago and now they are looking for thousands of tickets

In fairness that was one game,
    Also a Saturday, also 220 km away, also it was on tv.
    There's been a strong consistent following through the league aswell!
    And this happens every year.
    Ever wonder about all those who will only go the the all Ireland final? Every year? No matter what county?
    If your team are doing sh!t it's hard to pull a crowd if there in form and a bit of a stirr and a buzz people will follow the team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

hawthorn wrote: »
    How about this? After giving up hope of getting a stand ticket online I decided to settle for a terrace one. So I went to book one for the Town End and got this:

Under the heading "Seat" : G18 848

Ok so I cancelled that and tried under Killinan End and got

G10 286

Whats all that about???

And to everyone saying there will be plenty of tickets on Thursday and Friday...where? It says all stands sold out. Not everyone has access to a club.

Tickets were on sale since early last week (of course I was lazy, and waited) so I suppose in fairness to Wexford they couldnt buy them at that stage. County allocation is different.

h

The G number is just tracking purposes for tickets.ie, theyre standing tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

That's one hell of a trip for a sat day. Sure Clare had feck all in Wexford and they were the champions.

Munster teams don't travel outside munster

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

Ah, ok, thought that, thanks.

h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Grats, I never said anything of the sort. I just told you why it would have been of interest personally as you asked. The reason I said the other comment was I was getting a bit sick of the slander from one of your comrades whose latest contribution is to say that Wexford fans are complaining about tickets because they think they will lose.

Ill temper my thoughts on that statement given the source and just leave it at that.

But you are right. The only thing that might make this allowance alright is if that was an initial allocation teams were given but doubt that. Would love to see the breakdown.

There was around 14,000 Wexford fans in Nowlan Park at the weekend Id say. Washman I never said anything about 30,000, you did, and if I am correct I think the County Secretary said they have ten times the demand for the 2,000 stand tickets which I assume is a rough estimation. Does 18,000 lets say sound completely off the wall? Not to me given the crowd that travelled Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Mother is from Wexford, I have cousins from Wexford etc.

I notice it's the same two KK boys having a go again about the tickets. Was wondering when you'd join the party. Given the way they turned out at their last game, in yet own City, I would have thought that ye of all people could see that 2,000 stand tickets out of 26,000 is unfair. Not sure how much tickets.ie and centra shops got, not much I would say.

In any event, Limerick, Tipp and Dublin fans also had the opportunity to buy that in advance of Wexford which is also unfair.

I see now you actually agree and just wanted to have a cut. I guess at least you've a bit of common sense anyway.

It has nothing to do with the game. Not one word just on and on and on about a non event with the usual few anti Kilkenny digs thrown in.

What is Thurles Capacity as a matter of interest?
    Wexford Co. board have warned clubs that their allocation may be onpy half of what they ordered. We are a very small rural club and have phoned in an order for 130 tickets. As far as I know we are the smallest parish in the county and have nobody on the panel.
    Tickets are tight in the county.

Thurles is approx. 53,000 with around 26,000 seats.
    From my experience of being involved in my own clubs ticket distribution over the years I can virtually guarantee you that of those 130 requests, dozens will already have sought tickets elsewhere too as is human nature. For the Munster final we had 1 guy begging for a ticket 10 days before the game. He travelled to Cork early on Sunday morning as he had finished up with 5 tickets, trying to offload them, which luckily for him he did, to Cork supporters.!!!

I have a great fund-raising idea for you small rural club for this game. Rather than guess the final sore, I suggest you get people to guess the official attendance. Would come up with some interesting guesses.!!

I predict it will surpass the 120,000 that watched Munster beat the All-Blacks at Thomond Park in 1978...:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

It has nothing to do with the game. Not one word just on and on and on about a non event with the usual few anti Kilkenny digs thrown in.

Where are the anti Kilkenny digs? Anti three posters would be more accurate.

But lads if ye want to talk about the game, go right ahead. The only thing worse than not talking about the game in my book, is complaining about people not talking about the game. The irony!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭qwert55

When a team gets a run of games like wexford it's always an advantage compared to a team that's idle. The only proviso is when injuries are an issue.
    It's actually very unfair on teams like limerick because they have a major disadvantage compared to teams that get a run in the qualifiers.
    Wexford are learning things about themselves in every game and because they are a younger less experienced team they have more room for improvement.
    Let's be honest limerick are a good but limited team who probably won't improve much more . Even if they do win on Sunday they won't win the all ireland,

On the other hand wexford have more potential and room for improvement. Another advantage for wex is that they probably have smarter people on the line. I think griffin is probably more involved than we know .
    Wexford by 4 or 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Cant bate a Gaa bandwagon, where were all these Wexford fans for the last 10 years?

They only want it moved to Croker cause they couldn't get refund from the hotels they booked for Garth Brooks that weekend :)
    glued wrote: »
    There was something like 300 Wexford fans in Cusack Park. Bandwagon indeed.
    shmeee wrote: »
    How many Wexford fans made the journey to Ennis?

1,000 max?

Pure bandwagon is all it is not, best fans in the world and so on.

Would ya ever listen to yourselves? Isnt it the bandwagon that fills croker in September. Isnt it what the GAA is all about, building excitement as your team get better and it opening to more supporters the further you go in the league/championship etc

Jaysus

qwert55 wrote: »
    When a team gets a run of games like wexford it's always an advantage compared to a team that's idle. The only proviso is when injuries are an issue.
    It's actually very unfair on teams like limerick because they have a major disadvantage compared to teams that get a run in the qualifiers.
    Wexford are learning things about themselves in every game and because they are a younger less experienced team they have more room for improvement.
    Let's be honest limerick are a good but limited team who probably won't improve much more . Even if they do win on Sunday they won't win the all ireland,

On the other hand wexford have more potential and room for improvement. Another advantage for wex is that they probably have smarter people on the line. I think griffin is probably more involved than we know .
    Wexford by 4 or 5.

Would you say that any of the other teams have potential for improvement.?
    Where can Cork improve.? we can see where Tipp have come after their defeat by Limerick, back as serious contenders after wins over Offaly/Galway. Can Dublin improve or do you completely write them off like all the TV pundits.
    Griffin won 1 All-Ireland in 96, almost 20 years ago. where was he since. Its amazing how these guys resurface when a decent team appears again.
    Seen plenty of that in Limerick...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Grats

A small support from Wexford in Ennis and likewise from Clare in Wexford Park confirms my earlier post regarding home advantage. It shouldn't happen for a knock out game, too much at stake. Had the a Wexford v Clare game been in Thurles you would have had an equal number of supporters.

Thurles next Sunday will have a huge Tipp support and a very small Dublin one. Had the game been in Portlaoise you would get more Dubs down.

Don't anybody try to convince me that home advantage doesn't matter. Tipp have a clear advantage on Sun. Their supporters are back following them having almost abandoned the team just a few games ago.

Limerick and Wexford will be a fairer match in terms of support and venue. I do think that Limerick won't allow Wexford the same room as Waterford did. Another noticeable thing from the game in Nowlan Park was the time a player had on the ball without a challenge and how slow the ball was moved at times. Wexford won't have that same luxury against Limerick. I expect Limerick to shade it.

• Advertisement

Grats wrote: »
    Don't anybody try to convince me that home advantage doesn't matter. Tipp have a clear advantage on Sun. Their supporters are back following them having almost abandoned the team just a few games ago.

When did they abandon the team?

Played Limerick in first round munster, 24,962 in attendance. 60/40 support, 15,000 from Tipp

Played Galway in first round of qualifers, 18,467 in attendance. 13/14,000 from Tipp.

Played Offaly in 2nd round qualifers, 10,000, 70% from Tipp that Saturday evening, 7,000.

All the above games were live on TV also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Lads can anyone tell me how the terraces are being segreated, is it just a free for all, I know that there is usually a mix but one end is usually mostly made up of one team and the other is usually made up of the other, does anyone know which terrace the Limerick fans will be in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭slegs

shmeee wrote: »
    When did they abandon the team?

Played Limerick in first round munster, 24,962 in attendance. 60/40 support, 15,000 from Tipp

Were you there, it was the talk of the place that day that Limerick outnumberd Tipp in Thurles. Dont know where you are getting your 15,000 from

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

slegs wrote: »
    Were you there, it was the talk of the place that day that Limerick outnumberd Tipp in Thurles. Dont know where you are getting your 15,000 from

None of it can be proven anyway unless someone counted everyone wearing green and blue individually! I felt Limerick had a larger Attendence that day but you just can't put a number on it.

Pretty sure Limerick clubs got kilinan end tickets but I'd say a lot of people buying on tickets.ie might have gone for town end. Will be a real mix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

Also, Barry Kelly is down to ref the game. He owes Graeme Mulcahy a goal from the Tipp game too!

Yes I was there in the Old Stand and from the reactions and roars in that stand it would have indicated a favour for the home team, again we have no figures exactly. And no one can prove anything, I was giving my estimation from being at the games and ticket sales during that week in the Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Thurles next Sunday will have a huge Tipp support and a very small Dublin one. Had the game been in Portlaoise you would get more Dubs down.

Limerick and Wexford will be a fairer match in terms of support and venue.

One thing to bear in mind. There'll be three sets of supporters cheering on Dublin. If the dubs give them something to cheer about the Tipp fans could be drowned out on their home patch. Wouldn't that be a sight?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

citykat wrote: »
    One thing to bear in mind. There'll be three sets of supporters cheering on Dublin. If the dubs give them something to cheer about the Tipp fans could be drowned out on their home patch. Wouldn't that be a sight?

wont happen. The Limerick fans will be leaving early after getting beaten, and the Wexford fans will leave after the game to go on the beer in anticipation of beating Kilkenny in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Grats

Spot on above.

Easy to throw out figures now but it is common knowledge that the Tipp team were abandoned. Fine to talk about the "huge" support at the Offaly game but the bandwagon was up and running at that stage. Tipp players and management team spent the entire league and early stages of Championship trying to fend off the abuse they were getting, not from outsiders but from their very own supporters. That's a fact, read any number of articles and you'll have it confirmed.

I know this is the Wx v Lk thread, I've already posted my views on that game. My latest post is a follow on regarding home advantage.

• Advertisement

Spot on above.

Easy to throw out figures now but it is common knowledge that the Tipp team were abandoned. Fine to talk about the "huge" support at the Offaly game but the bandwagon was up and running at that stage. Tipp players and management team spent the entire league and early stages of Championship trying to fend off the abuse they were getting, not from outsiders but from their very own supporters. That's a fact, read any number of articles and you'll have it confirmed.

I know this is the Wx v Lk thread, I've already posted my views on that game. My latest post is a follow on regarding home advantage.

Your not making any sense, a year earlier when Tipp played Limerick in the 1/4 final, the attendance didn't break the 20,000 barrier even. Were the team abandoned then also?

Yes, people within the county weren't happy with what was going on and I'm not denying that one bit.

But the attendance's don't stand out as a team that was abandoned. Wexford barely had 1,000 in Ennis, now they want 1,000's of tickets for Sunday, were they abandoned also if we are using attendance's to compare that fact?

Advertisement