Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick v. Wexford, SHC QF, Semple Stadium @ 2pm

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Browney7 wrote: »
    If they wanted to see Croke Park they should have beaten Dublin for a spot in the Leinster final.

absolutely. Croke Park shouldnt be some sort of divine right. You earn your place there. The game wont be moved, and its ridiculous to even ask for it to be moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

GAA made a mess of this, but dublin wont use a fraction of their tickets and these should filter back to wexford when not used, plus limerick tipp have bought tickets on line and id say limerick will have returns. based on last years 34k its hard to see it selling out. Just some wexford fans will get their tickets late in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭shmeee

bruschi wrote: »
    I'll be on the terrace myself, but you dont magically turn up at the time the game starts and leave as it ends. Anyone who will watch both (if not all 3 games) will be standing for at least 4 hours and walk to and from the ground. I know people who wouldnt be able for that, and as you say, kids and elderly people would find it difficult. So why eliminate them?

2,000 seating tickets in a ground that supposedly has 24,000 seats is a ridiculous amount to be given. the GAA made a mess of this. Selling tickets before one of the counties was known, and then giving them a paltry amount was really bad management.

There is 26,589 seats in Thurles. Seating tickets were on general sale online and in shops up until lunch hour yesterday. Wexford bet Waterford over 36 hours earlier and had the option to buy this tickets. They had the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

I think comparing last years matchs to this years matches is a moot point is correct me if i am wrong but wexford footballers were playing in longford on the same day so that took some of the followers from the game. Also Limerick would also bring alot more followers then kilkenny and the same for tipp as supposed waterford.

The fact is 2000 stand tickets for one of the sides in an all ireland quarter final is just not right . there is over 5000 been requested to the wexford cb from clubs. In the 3000 that wont get stand tickets are a percentage that wont be able stand for that long for a game.

Wexford people are not looking for more than Tipp Limerick or Dublin. We are looking for our equal share

shmeee wrote: »
    There is 26,589 seats in Thurles. Seating tickets were on general sale online and in shops up until lunch hour yesterday. Wexford bet Waterford over 36 hours earlier and had the option to buy this tickets. They had the chance.

they werent. I tried get them myself yesterday. The new stand was sold out and there was limited single seats available in the old stand. hence I bought terrace tickets.

and you are still missing my main point. Giving them 2,000 tickets when they have that capacity is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

The way tickets are distributed is the Counties with the largest populations get most tickets as far as I know, which makes sense though dunno if Dublin's allocation will be that big. I think theyll return plenty anyway.

Joke that they sold tickets on general release before the quarter finalists were confirmed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Talk about stupidity. Just when Wexford needed to concentrate on the team, off they go complaining about tickets and if not tickets the quality of the tickets, having to stand instead of sit and then to go look for a change of venue which was never going to happen. Talk about taking your eye off the ball just before throw in. If they are beaten I for one wont have any sympathy for them after this carry on and I was delighted to see them beat both Clare and Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

The chairman makes a valid point. 2,000 seated tickets for an All Ireland quarter final is wrong when the facilities are available in other grounds to hold more but it is too late in the day now.

I am sure many Wexford, Dublin, Limerick, Tipp etc...fans go through their respected clubs to get tickets and wouldn't have gone online.

Just poor ticket allocating again.

There was 33,000 in Thurles for last years 1/4 finals. Why would the GAA think that Thurles is not big enough again this year? No reason whatsoever.

There is a massive reason. Tipp were not involved last year. They could easily bring 33,000 themselves to a 1/4 final.

Talk about stupidity. Just when Wexford needed to concentrate on the team, off they go complaining about tickets and if not tickets the quality of the tickets, having to stand instead of sit and then to go look for a change of venue which was never going to happen. Talk about taking your eye off the ball just before throw in. If they are beaten I for one wont have any sympathy for them after this carry on and I was delighted to see them beat both Clare and Waterford.

yeah, Liam Dunne and the players are hopping over it. They've been really distracted alright.

but yet you dont think being given an allocation of 2,000 seats in a stadium that seats 26,000 is not worthy of complaining about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Wtf is this thread about? The match or the venue? Same s**** as the Munster final. Only one Cork fan posted he couldn't get tickets. He should've chanced his arm. I passed half a dozen touts between the city and PUC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

AGC wrote: »
    There is a massive reason. Tipp were not involved last year. They could easily bring 33,000 themselves to a 1/4 final.

No they couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

marco_polo wrote: »
    Its great that it looks like the QFs will have a serious attendance for the first time in ages.

34k last year and 39k the previous year ,pretty good attendances .

JeffKenna wrote: »
    No they couldn't.

Sorry an exaggeration.

I was in Thurles in 2011 for Tipp v Cork and there was in around 35,000.

There will be bigger crowds this year than last. I don't think the issue is the sell out, the issue is the lack of seats and the distribution of tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

If they wanted to see Croke Park they should have beaten Dublin for a spot in the Leinster final.

Candidate for most ridiculous post of the day. Sure if Meath, to take a random example, wanted a leinster title they should have just beaten Dublin on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

Candidate for most ridiculous post of the day. Sure if Meath, to take a random example, wanted a leinster title they should have just beaten Dublin on Sunday.

Why should there be an entitlement to play in Croke Park like a previous poster suggested?

yeah, Liam Dunne and the players are hopping over it. They've been really distracted alright.

but yet you dont think being given an allocation of 2,000 seats in a stadium that seats 26,000 is not worthy of complaining about?

No I do not think it is worth complaining about. As I have already said it is plain stupidity when there was never going to be a change of venue. It is pure distraction and nothing else. If there was a snowballs hell of getting a change a venue there might be some justification but there was not and is not. If for a second you think that Liam Dunne and the players have not been distracted think again, every dog in the street in Wexford have jumped on the bandwagon and are looking for tickets. The first place they will go is to players and management if they have even the slightest nodding acquaintance with any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭The Letheram

Why should there be an entitlement to play in Croke Park like a previous poster suggested?

Not saying there is. Just saying that "wanting" to play in Croke park is nothing to do with the call to change the game. It is to do with Wexford getting 1/13th of the allocation of stand tickets.

No I do not think it is worth complaining about. As I have already said it is plain stupidity when there was never going to be a change of venue. It is pure distraction and nothing else. If there was a snowballs hell of getting a change a venue there might be some justification but there was not and is not. If for a second you think that Liam Dunne and the players have not been distracted think again, every dog in the street in Wexford have jumped on the bandwagon and are looking for tickets. The first place they will go is to players and management if they have even the slightest nodding acquaintance with any of them.

so you think they should just accept 2,000 tickets for seating in a 26,000 seat stadium? And you think that would make it easier on the players by having less tickets than the demand is there? By trying to get more tickets surely any logical sense would say that means there would be less people hassling players.

Or you cant see that the request of a change of ground is making shapes about getting more tickets? Of course the venue wont be changed, but surely making noise would force the GAA's hand a bit more.

so you think they should just accept 2,000 tickets for seating in a 26,000 seat stadium? And you think that would make it easier on the players by having less tickets than the demand is there? By trying to get more tickets surely any logical sense would say that means there would be less people hassling players.

Or you cant see that the request of a change of ground is making shapes about getting more tickets? Of course the venue wont be changed, but surely making noise would force the GAA's hand a bit more.

This whole thread has proven my point it is all about the quality of the tickets and not even the number of same, rather than on the game itself. The same is happening and even more so in Wexford itself and has to impact on the management and team. They knew they were not going to change anything so why bother with the whole distraction. They could have vented their opinion after the match.

• Advertisement

They want more tickets not really a venue change. And from the county boards point of view, they don't want to be seen doing nothing for their players.

What's with the indignant attitude over people annoyed that they are being given a poor initial allocation, and also not even getting a fair chance of purchasing them through the general release.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with Liam Dunne and the players. I really don't understand your attitude. Were you in charge of allocating the stand tickets or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Stand tickets are not sold out, the stand tickets that went on general sale are. All the clubs still have tickets to distribute around and county boards likewise. A few thousand go on general sale online and in the shops. The rest go to clubs.

Many people are over reacting in a big way. Anyone that wants to be at the match on Sunday will be. It won't be a sell out.

Last years 1/4 finals in Thurles involving Cork, Kilkenny, Galway and Clare pulled in only 34,000. So add in another 10,000 max, still way below capacity.

most sensible post of this thread so far.!!
    Shmeee is correct. Everyone that wants to be in Thurles will get a ticket.
    There was a lot of hype around Limerick too in the lead up to the Munster final because PUC was restricted (supposedly) to 36,800
    But as the game drew closer there were plenty of tickets around, always happens, and will be the same come Sunday.
    People need to chill out, especially Wexford people.!
    Does anyone really believe that there will only be 2,000 Wexford people seated in Thurles.
    Cop on FFS. Relax and come Friday the tickets will make their way to each county.

BTW, are Wexford the only county who do not have a thread on Boards.ie Gaa forum.?? Surely some one of those 30,000 die hard fans could start one.

washman3 wrote: »
    most sensible post of this thread so far.!!
    Shmeee is correct. Everyone that wants to be in Thurles will get a ticket.
    There was a lot of hype around Limerick too in the lead up to the Munster final because PUC was restricted (supposedly) to 36,800
    But as the game drew closer there were plenty of tickets around, always happens, and will be the same come Sunday.
    People need to chill out, especially Wexford people.!
    Does anyone really believe that there will only be 2,000 Wexford people seated in Thurles.
    Cop on FFS. Relax and come Friday the tickets will make their way to each county.

BTW, are Wexford the only county who do not have a thread on Boards.ie Gaa forum.?? Surely some one of those 30,000 die hard fans could start one.

So they have to have 30,000 fans for the allocation of 2,000 to be a joke?

If Kilkenny or Limerick got 2,000 stand tickets I can't see people taking it lying down. There will be more, but there wouldn't if everyone put up and shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

If Wexford were only allocated 2,000 seated tickets and every other county competing got more, then that is unfair, they have a right to complain. How many seated tickets did every other county get, do we know this?

I don't think Wexford really expected the venue to be moved, and it's never going to happen at this stage... I don't think anybody expects this to sell out. That is just sensationalism to try and get more tickets, which is fair enough.

I don't have a problem with Wexford creating a fuss to try and get as many tickets as possible for their fans if there is a big demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Grats

They want more tickets not really a venue change. And from the county boards point of view, they don't want to be seen doing nothing for their players.

What's with the indignant attitude over people annoyed that they are being given a poor initial allocation, and also not even getting a fair chance of purchasing them through the general release.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with Liam Dunne and the players. I really don't understand your attitude. Were you in charge of allocating the stand tickets or something?

As you would say yourself - what's it got to do with you!

Fireball07 wrote: »
    If Wexford were only allocated 2,000 seated tickets and every other county competing got more, then that is unfair, they have a right to complain. How many seated tickets did every other county get, do we know this?

I don't think Wexford really expected the venue to be moved, and it's never going to happen at this stage... I don't think anybody expects this to sell out. That is just sensationalism to try and get more tickets, which is fair enough.

I don't have a problem with Wexford creating a fuss to try and get as many tickets as possible for their fans if there is a big demand.

Exactly. A complete cock up. As was posted previously, tickets were on sale last week before the last team into the quarter finals was known. The other three counties would have had a head start unless that is the GAA held back a quarter of the tickets for Wexford they do get their quarter share, buy them and get to Thurles and roar on the team no matter where your tickets are for.

Grats wrote: »
    As you would say yourself - what's it got to do with you!

Mother is from Wexford, I have cousins from Wexford etc.

I notice it's the same two KK boys having a go again about the tickets. Was wondering when you'd join the party. Given the way they turned out at their last game, in yet own City, I would have thought that ye of all people could see that 2,000 stand tickets out of 26,000 is unfair. Not sure how much tickets.ie and centra shops got, not much I would say.

In any event, Limerick, Tipp and Dublin fans also had the opportunity to buy that in advance of Wexford which is also unfair.

I see now you actually agree and just wanted to have a cut. I guess at least you've a bit of common sense anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Another good reason to have a Season Ticket. Heard from someone involved in doing turnstiles at Nowlan Park that Waterford and Wexford only have 150 Season Ticket holders between them, was quite surprised at the low number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I imagine the real reason Wex want the game up in croke park is they know Limk have a dreadful record there.

• Advertisement

Mother is from Wexford, I have cousins from Wexford etc.

I notice it's the same two KK boys having a go again about the tickets. Was wondering when you'd join the party. Given the way they turned out at their last game, in yet own City, I would have thought that ye of all people could see that 2,000 stand tickets out of 26,000 is unfair. Not sure how much tickets.ie and centra shops got, not much I would say.

In any event, Limerick, Tipp and Dublin fans also had the opportunity to buy that in advance of Wexford which is also unfair.

I see now you actually agree and just wanted to have a cut. I guess at least you've a bit of common sense anyway.

So we must declare our family tree to participate on particular forums! Joke, btw!

Yes I do fully agree on ticket situation. Complete shambles. Wonder who is actually handling it - Croke Park, Munster Council or Tipp County Board?

Advertisement