Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick v. Wexford, SHC QF, Semple Stadium @ 2pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Browney7 wrote: »
    If Wexford win this it will be because Limerick beat themselves and in fairness most Limerick fans would always have a fear of this.

Plenty has been said about Limerick losing to Cork in Cork. I felt Limerick played quite well in Cork and the game was nip and tuck until the first Cork goal. Fair play to Cork they were deserved winners but lets not forget Cork had never lost a Munster Final in Cork (looked back as far as 1920 :o).

A lot has been said about Wexford in the media and in fairness to them they've been the story of the championship this year. But lets look at their performances so far:

Lost to Dublin down in Wexford park comprehensively enough 22 points to 1-14. That's 22 scores to 15. Granted it was the first game of the championship and may have been rusty but they had home advantage which I feel is worth about three points to a team (plenty said Limerick only won Munster last year because they had two home games:rolleyes:).

Next they went to Ennis and put in a great performance away from home against the All Ireland champions (who were comprehensively beaten by Cork in a neutral venue Thurles - a late goal put a bit of gloss on the scoreboard) but really should have closed the game out. They have a dangerous full forward line and they exposed the weaknesses in the Clare full back line early in the game to great effect to give them a strong foothold in the game. I'd give them great credit for getting the replay after extra time when it went back to 15 on 15.

The replay in Wexford park was a nervy encounter but how they didn't win in normal time with two extra men for more than 20 minutes I'll never know. Again, I would give them massive credit for winning in extra time. I really can't figure them out on this front. They seem to thrive on adversity.

They never looked like losing against Waterford but again they left Waterford in the game for long periods. How good was this Waterford team? They rattled Cork in May but in the replay Cork made a few changes and really cut loose on them. The Cork under 21s, who many on the Cork thread didn't hold out much of a candle for, beat Waterford 21s (who have numerous senior players) in Walsh park and most Waterford fans would acknowledge they wouldn't have much faith in their senior manager.

On paper Limerick should win this by 4 or 5 points but the game ain't played on paper. If Limerick have their heads right (it isn't Croker we're playing in so hopefully they should be) they should be too strong. Nonetheless I'm expecting a good battle with Limerick going into an early lead (I'm expecting TJ to try and create space early for our inside line and trying to get Mulcahy and Downes on the ball and going for early goals like KK did to us in 2007 to silence what will be a very large Wexford crowd) and controlling the game and seeing it out by 4 points. Luimneach abú!

If Wexford win it will be because they scored more than limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

slegs wrote: »
    Maybe you are right but I don't think Cork are as good as you think either. We made mistakes to make ye look good the last day.

People like you will keep putting Linerick down with comments like above but that's just because you fear us.

It's really just the typical Cork arrogance back on full tilt now that you have your first silverware in 8 years.

Hey Limerick had the chance last year to go all the way after beating Cork and you frooze on centre stage against Clare. Limerick couldnt even score 20 yard frees that day the occasion was far too much for the team.

Arrogance? Limerick fans run out on Gaelic grounds last year,19 years waiting for Munster title and then they think they are invincible. The fans and Limerick CCB then complain with PUC venue after agreeing to home and away agreement with Cork. Who was the team with songs wrote about winning Liam mcCarthy after beating Cork last year? Yes that was Limerick. We were beaten last year by better team but Clare earned the All Ireland from us, something most Limerick teams fail to do on big occasions. This isnt harsh its reality and its the reason why Limerick have failed to win AI since 1973. Have no fear Cork will win AI again before Limerick. Dont worry about Cork we will blow Limerick away in Croke Park too if we meet again. I hope we do meet Limerick. See what they are made of. But first they have to get past Wexford and KK.

Back to the game Wexford are well capable of beating this Limerick side. Limerick dont take to favourite tags too well, ideal for Wexford to catch them out and send them packing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭slegs

Amprodude wrote: »
    Hey Limerick had the chance last year to go all the way after beating Cork and you frooze on centre stage against Clare. Limerick couldnt even score 20 yard frees that day the occasion was far too much for the team.

Arrogance? Limerick fans run out on Gaelic grounds last year,19 years waiting for Munster title and then they think they are invincible. The fans and Limerick CCB then complain with PUC venue after agreeing to home and away agreement with Cork. Who was the team with songs wrote about winning Liam mcCarthy after beating Cork last year? Yes that was Limerick. We were beaten last year by better team but Clare earned the All Ireland from us, something most Limerick teams fail to do on big occasions. This isnt harsh its reality and its the reason why Limerick have failed to win AI since 1973. Have no fear Cork will win AI again before Limerick. Dont worry about Cork we will blow Limerick away in Croke Park too if we meet again. I hope we do meet Limerick. See what they are made of. But first they have to get past Wexford and KK.

Back to the game Wexford are well capable of beating this Limerick side. Limerick dont take to favourite tags too well, ideal for Wexford to catch them out and send them packing.

Lot of big talk from a little Corkman. We will see how much further ye get.

Have no fear this and that....you played much hurling or you used to watching from your couch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I hope we do meet Limerick. See what they are made of. But first they have to get past Wexford and KK.
    Just so you know, Cork are not actually in the All-Ireland final yet, you have to get past Tipp or Dublin first.

As for the rest of your post; cheers for tarring the whole county with the same brush.

What "team" wrote songs about winning the McCarthy cup? No "team" did. The Limerick team and management had nothing to do with all that. Many in the county lost the run of themselves but that was not the fault of the players/management.

The venue issue was only ever to do with satisfying the demand; there seems to be a misguided notion amongst some in Cork that Limerick were afraid of going to Cork and wanted it moved to Semple out of fear; the issue was only ever about maximising the attendance. Also, that was all one major storm in a teacup, pretty much anyone I spoke to didn't give a damn where it was played, all they were concerned with was getting a ticket. Say what you like but that's what it all boiled down to in the end. We've happily gone down to Cork plenty of times in the past and we'll happily go down there again in the future. But hey, I guess some people don't understand that people are entitled to be frustrated if it appears they will have major difficulty getting their hands on a ticket.

Also, why are you having a go about fans invading the pitch? You did the same thing yourselves this year!!!

Your post comes across as rather bitter for a Cork man; I find that disappointing, not representative of an almost exclusive majority of Cork fans I've had the pleasure of talking to down the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Blow limerick away?..ye haven't blown us away in a good long while, hardly call 2 weeks ago blown away!

Yes last year the country got a bit ott, but it was a whole since there's been success in the city.. Look at Wexford now for evidence, supporters fully believe they can go and win Liam and are reacting as they should, momentum and whatnot..

You seem like someone with an awful bitter chip against Limerick..

Again think will do the job tomorrow, favourites or not.. Kilkenny well that's a different ballgame..

On corks side, doesn't again look easy to get to September.. Don't be counting any chickens yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

If Limerick do win tomorrow, are they playing kilkenny? Or is it an open draw?

If Limerick do win tomorrow, are they playing kilkenny? Or is it an open draw?

Provincial finalists have to be kept apart, so if Limerick win they are 100% guaranteed to play Kilkenny.

There is only one open draw scenario; if Wexford and Tipperary win, as neither have played KK or Cork and no repeat pairings are possible, then a draw would take place.

LIM and DUB wins; COR v DUB and KLK v LIM
    LIM and TIP wins; COR v TIP and KLK v LIM
    WEX and DUB wins; COR v DUB and KLK v WEX
    WEX and TIP wins; Open draw; Pot 1 (COR/KLK), Pot 2 (WEX/TIP)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

Arrogance? Limerick fans run out on Gaelic grounds last year,19 years waiting for Munster title and then they think they are invincible. .

I love irony

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ch20

Anyone who is traveling from limerick, The newport road to thurles is closed due to flooding.

"THURLES/NEWPORT RD EMERGENCY R503) CLOSURE

An emergency closure is in place on the Thurles/ Newport Rd (R503) at Rearcross following flooding yesterday. The road closure will remain in place until further notice, possibly over the weekend.

Traffic travelling to the match in Thurles on 27 July are advised to consider an alternative route.

Friday, 25 July, 2014 - 16:15 to Tuesday, 29 July, 2014 - 16:15"
    source :Tipperary county council

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭shmeee

ch20 wrote: »
    Anyone traveling from limerick the newport road to thurles is closed due to flooding.

An emergency closure is in place on the Thurles/ Newport Rd (R503) at Rearcross following flooding yesterday. The road closure will remain in place until further notice, possibly over the weekend.

Traffic travelling to the match in Thurles on 27 July are advised to consider an alternative route.

Go by Nenagh or Tipp town, Tipp Town could be an option, come in by Holycross and park in many of the car parks on that road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

ch20 wrote: »
    Anyone traveling from limerick the newport road to thurles is closed due to flooding.

Shít.

Cappamore or Pallasgreen to Doon-Dundrum-Holycross-Thurles is another option..

Via Borrisoleigh?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Via Borrisoleigh?

Doon to Dundrum is via Cappawhite and Annacarthy though it just goes by either village not through them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

hawthorn wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Apologies for a ticket question but I dont know where else to post it....

Anyone know would I be safe in leaving it till Sunday early to get a terrace ticket? I dont want to get one now just in case Im lucky and find someone selling a stand ticket on Sunday?

Are they always genuine tickets if individuals are selling? ie could you be scammed?

thanks

h

Hawthorn, there will be loads of terrace tickets available on the day, and I've predicted all along that stand tickets will also appear.
    Most guys selling tickets in Thurles are genuine, just avoid the skangers with the Dublin accents, they are not Dublin fans, they are ticket touts, same ones that appear at every sporting event/concert in Ireland.
    Only other thing to watch for, if you are offered a ticket after the first game, be careful. There is an outside chance some smart#### has watched Limerick v Wexford and is leaving early and may try to sell his ticket.
    It will not be accepted at the turnstile as it has been already electronically scanned once. Ticket stubs are not removed from tickets anymore, but the GAA should cop this and do it for double headers in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

washman3 wrote: »
    ..Most guys selling tickets in Thurles are genuine, just avoid the skangers with the Dublin accents, they are not Dublin fans, they are ticket touts, same ones that appear at every sporting event/concert in Ireland..

For any budding ticket touts out there, don't let the fact yer not from Dublin prevent you from following yer goal, anyone can tout tickets- the Dublin accent is a little harder to get...:rolleyes:

DoctaDee wrote: »
    For any budding ticket touts out there, don't let the fact yer not from Dublin prevent you from following yer goal, anyone can tout tickets- the Dublin accent is a little harder to get...:rolleyes:

And your advice to the guy who posted for ticket info is...???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

The ticket touts in Cork for the MF had Cork accents...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Leaving your ticket til the last minute brings it's own problems. I have a complete dislike of touts but the tickets they hold are in general no less reputable than the one the "fella on the street"has. The crux of the argument will be how much you're prepared to pay from eeither to see the game.

Get there early and try to get a ticket prior to the 1st game throwing in as it minimises the likelihood of a scanned ticket being sold

Terrace tickets still available on gaa.ie and in Centra. And I'd be willing to bet that there will still be a number of tickets available from the ticket offices outside the stadium.

Stand tickets? If you're patient enough you most likely will meet someone outside the stadium with a few stand tickets to sell. I'd rather take a terrace ticket and be done with it rather than going through the uncertainty that goes with the stand ticket hunt!

• Advertisement

42000 tickets sold of 46000 ( reduced from 53000 ) according to Tipp County Board

42000 tickets sold of 46000 ( reduced from 53000 ) according to Tipp County Board

more than i thought would be gone by now tbh,,

the 7k reduction being taken out the terraces?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

bennyl10 wrote: »

the 7k reduction being taken out the terraces?

Unless they've ripped out a few seats...:rolleyes:

citykat wrote: »
    Unless they've ripped out a few seats...:rolleyes:

Coulda closed off a couple of rows smart ass!
    Do it in thomond for smaller games and in croker dont they do it to stop.pitch encroachment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Doubt it. If Limerick could master Croke Park then they could have a chance. Cork team that played Limerick this year are a far better team than what faced Limerick in 2013. I think some fans here are going on past glorys to justify Limericks performance and some here are really overrating the team. I doubt Limerick would have beaten KK last year. They may beat Wexford but I guarantee you they will make hard work of it.

For a man that say's Limerick are his second team i have to say you wouldn't think that with some of your posts!Limerick put in a good performance against us.We were worthy winners but i felt the 6 point margin was a bit flattering to us.If Limerick are on from then they'll have no trouble against an average Wexford team.The only problem i think is that TJ is a very inexperienced manager.He needs to be quicker to make changes when things are not working out.But if Limerick strike form and get that forward line firing they'll beat Wexford pretty comfortably.It's time for Limerick to lay down a serious marker later on today.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

citykat wrote: »
    The ticket touts in Cork for the MF had Cork accents...

Plenty of skangers in Cork city too.
    Not often they get a chance to tout tickets in Cork as hardly any event is ever sold out. So we'll cut those guys a bit of slack...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Why have they reduced the crowd?

I would love us to lay down a marker as genuine contenders. Seems a little unlikely though, Wexford are a good side, and never give up.

As someone mentioned above, I thought they were poor against Clare when Clare had 13 men, they really should have won, they had so many chances. But when Clare were restored to their full compliment, and the odds against them, they somehow dug deep and pulled a victory out of the bag. Obviously Clare tired a bit, but it was still a great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

Thanks for the replies on the tickets folks! I dont mind a terrace ticket, but will it be very squashed...? I never stood on a terrace for a big match before! Will I have room for my flask and sandwiches !!?? ( I am actually serious....making a day of it!)

I intend to be outside the stadium before the minor match....hopefully find a genuine person selling 1 stand ticket!!!

thanks all

h

• Advertisement

hawthorn wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies on the tickets folks! I dont mind a terrace ticket, but will it be very squashed...? I never stood on a terrace for a big match before! Will I have room for my flask and sandwiches !!?? ( I am actually serious....making a day of it!)

I intend to be outside the stadium before the minor match....hopefully find a genuine person selling 1 stand ticket!!!

thanks all

h

Get a spot on a terrace with the barrier and you'll have plenty.of room :)

Advertisement