Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we have many heavy metal fans on After Hours?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I like some metal, but it's not what I mostly listen to.
    Bafucin wrote: »
    This is a huge issue in metal right now. Some use it well. Some don't and each song sounds the same.

Example Dragonforce epically fast but it all sounds the same. And I don't know what happens in the studio magic maybe but live they are very sloppy.

Steve Vai is not only fast but musically gifted. Petrucci, Michael Angelo Batio are fast but have something else.

It's an argument that's been going on since the 80's. You had the new punk hard core influenced bands vs the old school too much coke bands (eg van halen one donnington gig had two-three 15 minute guitar solos).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

No, not at all.
    Links234 wrote: »
    Oh and you guys HAVE TO see this video :D ****ing Maximum The Hormone are unreal, but this video is just, well, you watch it all the way through ;)

I have no idea what is going on but I am EXCITED! Seriously, what was that "winny upload" bit? Completely caught me off guard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

McChubbin wrote: »
    I have no idea what is going on but I am EXCITED! Seriously, what was that "winny upload" bit? Completely caught me off guard!

Haha! :D It's one awesome video, isn't it! :D

Winny is a file sharing program, kinda like the Japanese napster and they're basically taking the piss out of bands and people who are so strongly against it. Like at the end of the video, the drummer is basically saying (I think) how you're scaring everyone off to the singer.

you might enjoy this video as well! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I like Heavy Metal. I love BABYMETAL. 私は日本が大好き

I love BABYMETAL.

We know! ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Anyone hear the new Overkill? Its good, so it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Do not watch this video, The Fox God Kitsune-sama has taken the form of 3 young ladies from Japan. Their music has the power to consume your soul leave you powerless to resist. Get away now while you still can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

No, not at all.
    So this turned up on my Recommended Viewing list on Youtube just now... I like it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

McChubbin wrote: »
    So this turned up on my Recommended Viewing list on Youtube just now... I like it! :D

I love their version of that song! Although I prefer Howard Jones' vocals there are some catchy songs on their most recent album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I spent my teens and twenties travelling all over Europe and even to America following my favourite bands around and going to metal festivals. One of my favourites is Axel Rudi Pell, most underrated musician ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf2WpjGdEME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL_y_CZJ1W4

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You're reminding me of all those euro hair metal bands now, Pretty Maids anyone? Lisa Dominique?

Annyways, fooking death metal :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 ardmhacha22

I am a big fan of extreme Gothic Metal and Celtic Folk Metal.

I go to a lot of metal fests in sweaty little clubs.

I only listen to Atari Jaguar game soundtracks
    Vast majority of metal is absolutely awful. The style it promotes is even worse. I am disappointed in the results of this poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

Vast majority of metal is absolutely awful. The style it promotes is even worse. I am disappointed in the results of this poll.

Well, enlighten us?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The vast majority of all art is absolutely awful.

The style it promotes is even worse.

Awesome style :D

Also, Devy!

The vast majority of all art is absolutely awful.

Sturgeon's law ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

No, not at all.
    80's and 90's metal for me, I still listen to it a lot but I just can't get into the stuff that came out later and find it pretty bland / shìt, for the most part these days.

Went back on a metal nostalgia trip the other day and couldn't believe how awful KoRn got, I sort of lost interest in them after Issues as I much preferred the first 3 albums...........as for that dubstep phase they went through......

Sorta reminded me of the time Machine Head were doing rap or hip hop or whatever the fùck that was at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I love metal. Big fan of dozens of different bands.

Most of my Irish friends (and a lot of my kiwi and Aussie friends) don't like it and in a lot of cases haven't heard of most of the bands I like. There have been a few incidents where I have downloaded songs to the GFs computer and then when her and her friends are sitting around listening to music on shuffle they suddenly get a bit of Metallica, Slipknot, Rammstein, Maiden, Tool etc. I find their reactions very funny:D

Basically I am banned from touching the playlist at parties :mad:

Metal is very popular in NZ so here are a few kiwi acts

• Advertisement

Duggy747 wrote: »
    80's and 90's metal for me, I still listen to it a lot but I just can't get into the stuff that came out later and find it pretty bland / shìt, for the most part these days.

Really? I think there's absolutely loads of great stuff since the 00's onwards, you have some of Rammstein's best, Devin Townsend going from strength to strength, Mastodon, Periphery, Ghost, Behemoth, Kamelot, Amon Amarth, Korpiklaani, Chthonic, Gojira, and Enslaved's recent albums are some of their best. I'm finding no end of absolutely great music, and that's not even counting what's coming from Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

No, not at all.
    POWER METAL!

I enjoy a bit of metal. None of that heavy screaming shíte though. Metallica, Megadeath, Maiden etc. The classics! Some more "modern" bands too, like Distrubed, Avenged Sevenfold, little bit of Slipknot, that sort of thing.

Don't think I can tie myself down to a single genre though, so naturally there could always be a bit of metal flowing through my ears at any point.

It does seem to attract a certain type of person though. Some of the strangest people I've ever met have been realllllly in to their Metal music. And not strange in a good way, strange as in a "Stay the hell away from my kids" kinda' way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Really? I think there's absolutely loads of great stuff since the 00's onwards, you have some of Rammstein's best, Devin Townsend going from strength to strength, Mastodon, Periphery, Ghost, Behemoth, Kamelot, Amon Amarth, Korpiklaani, Chthonic, Gojira, and Enslaved's recent albums are some of their best. I'm finding no end of absolutely great music, and that's not even counting what's coming from Japan

compare that list to the 80s and 90s roster and you'll see why us old school snobs remain unimpressed

Sigh are the only japanese band required.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

No, not at all.

Shìt was too harsh of a word as there are some exceptions from 00-onwards for me and it's a scene I always enjoyed. Rammstein and Tool recently especially as I always look forward to hearing new stuff from them. A Rammstein concert has always been on the cards, just haven't been to one yet.

I just don't enjoy metal of recent years like I do with the older stuff, I do try and listen to new material / new bands but not too many hold my interest for long.

Japan metal mostly just ain't my scene, I'm indifferent to it and I love all things Japan (another place that's on the cards to visit) :pac:

Bambi, I'm not trying to say 00's are better than 80's or 90's, just saying it's pretty far from **** ;) Though honestly, I wouldn't expect you to be impressed, you don't like Kamelot! :p

Sigh are awesome though, so there's one thing we can agree on, but Japan has so much more to offer than just Sigh, the metal scene over there is incredible. You'd probably hate most of the stuff I listen to, but if you like your Death Metal, try these guys:

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Japan metal mostly just ain't my scene, I'm indifferent to it and I love all things Japan (another place that's on the cards to visit)

The metal in Japan is as varied as anywhere, don't judge it by the stuff I post! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

On a major Yngwie Malmsteen buzz at the moment... Here is the god-like axe-slinger in all his glory. Epic and very, very 80's. Spandex... spandex everywhere!!! :eek:

But tell me that isn't so epic and so good!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Does The Who , Led Zeppelin , Rush count here ?
    Scorpions ?

4Sticks wrote: »
    Does The Who , Led Zeppelin , Rush count here ?
    Scorpions ?

I do like Rush! ;) Saw them when they played in Dublin a few years back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Feck me this looks class!!

http://70000tons.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

I do like Rush! ;) Saw them when they played in Dublin a few years back :D

I was there too - amazing show.

Saw Thin Lizzy/ Alice Cooper / Def Leppard triple header the same year @ 02 too. Alice Cooper stole the show.

Advertisement