Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Malaysia Airlines plane shot down in Ukraine near Russian border[Mod warning post#193

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

It's sad that if ATC and the airlines had simply done the most stupidly obvious thing imaginable - not flying commercial or even any other aircraft over a POTENTIALLY dubious area at times or unrest - this would never have happened.

I was listening to the TV and British Airways have a flight that goes straight over there. Can you imagine if it had to be a BA..not saying Malaysian aren't important, but the West collectively would have had a fit.

God we're a stupid species sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

WTF was it doing in volatile airspace!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

11:04 (UA) Malaysia passenger aircraft has crashed near the Russia border with Ukraine; flight was from Amsterdamn to Kuala Lumpur - Russia press

11:04 (UA) Malaysia passenger aircraft (Boeing 777) has crashed (other reports indicate it was 'shot down') near the Russia border with Ukraine; flight was from Amsterdamn to Kuala Lumpur - Russia press - Said to have been carrying 280 passengers and 15 crew members. - Said to have disappeared from radar while traveling at 30K feet (cruising altitude).

Technically that was my thread title. You stole it. But I'll let it slide. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

double GG wrote: »
    I have seen tweets saying people have been stealing rings, jewelry etc.

I happened to be watching a air-crash investigation last night where at a crash-site in Brazil the wreckage was being looted as survivors were climbing out looking for help. Pretty much everything was taken including the flight data recorders. I guess it's not as rare as we would have thought.

I can understand the poverty argument but I can't have any empathy for those looting from the dead and dying. What happened to basic human empathy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Dnrvskie rubbish removed from corpses chains, rings, etc. Took their suitcases. Burn you in hell bitches

Translation of one of the tweets I have seen. I won't post the account name as they have some extremely NSFW pictures.

Will make it very hard to identify some bodies if needed. Passports probably gone. Suitcases pillaged. wallets taken etc..

AFAIK it's pretty much a free for all for people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm trying to ascertain that a friend wasn't on this flight. I know she was flying to KUL with MH but not sure from which European airport or whether it was today or yesterday. Not a nice feeling :( I totally panicked initially but think it more likely she flew yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

double GG wrote: »
    Translation of one of the tweets I have seen. I won't post the account name as they have some extremely NSFW pictures.

Will make it very hard to identify some bodies if needed. Passports probably gone. Suitcases pillaged. wallets taken etc..

AFAIK it's pretty much a free for all for people.

pm link pls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

fits wrote: »
    I'm trying to ascertain that a friend wasn't on this flight. I know she was flying to KUL with MH but not sure from which European airport or whether it was today or yesterday. Not a nice feeling :( I totally panicked initially but think it more likely she flew yesterday.

Hopefully she flew yesterday. Read a post back saying it's been confirmed no irish on the flight, so hopefully she's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I have a long haul flight in 2 weeks time, Flying to Aus via Dubai and Kuala Lumpur todays events makes me uneasy about the flight.

RIP to to those that died

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Countries are only now avoiding Ukraine air space. What they were doing flying over it is anyone's guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Separatists found the black box, say they're sending it to Moscow - Dutch News NOS channel

Hopefully she flew yesterday. Read a post back saying it's been confirmed no irish on the flight, so hopefully she's fine.

She is Hungarian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I have a long haul flight in 2 weeks time, Flying to Aus via Dubai and Kuala Lumpur todays events makes me uneasy about the flight.

Terrible tragedies, but don't worry ... safest form of travel - fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

Eight british on board.Itv 1 news.

She is Hungarian.

Apologies, what with it being an irish site, I assumed incorrectly.

I hope you hear from her soon and I'm hopeful that she'll be absolutely fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Technically that was my thread title. You stole it. But I'll let it slide. :rolleyes:

The mods merged your thread with mine and this was the outcome, I too shall let your accusation of theft slide. ;)

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

You'll be grand.

I'm terrified of flying, and had to take a flight shortly after the last Malaysian Airlines disaster and I freaked out. No need to though, it was fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

1km = 1000m so 10km is 10,000m

No wonder maths is poor in pur country !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

You won't fly anywhere near Ukraine if that makes you feel 1% better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

tharmor wrote: »
    No wonder maths is poor in pur country !!

And spelling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Fcuk off, it's not funny to joke about this.

It was meant as a dig at the garth brooks drama apologies offered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

fr336 wrote: »
    Ain't this the truth. Never ever "Ah it'll be ok" or influenced by others.

To be fair, it's a lucky coincidence and I'm delighted he is ok, but your gut feeling has nothing to do with tragedies like this. I'm sure there are people who changed the other way too.

RIP to all involved. Sickening stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

What a bunch of scumbags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Somewhere out there is someone who pulled the trigger to start all of this today. I hope he realises what he has done is awful.

Whatever about targeting your enemy, to take down a civil jet is an unthinkable act :(

As Fred Woodworth said...

"It seems like such a terrible shame that innocent civilians have to get hurt in wars, otherwise combat would be such a wonderfully healthy way to rid the human race of unneeded trash"

Does anyone know if any Hungarian passengers on board? ( relying on my phone for internet as travelling so can't look properly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

They will never find out anything here the Russians will cover it up. Look at the polish tupolev that "crashed" taking out most of the countries leaders. There's a very interesting theory about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

YbFocus wrote: »
    Whatever about targeting your enemy, to take down a civil jet is an unthinkable act :(
    "

The terrible thing is that if today's act was intentional or not, it has been done on purpose before by the USSR and possibly by the USN, never fully proven.

Does anyone know if any Hungarian passengers on board? ( relying on my phone for internet as travelling so can't look properly)

Not yet but Dutch news is getting information earlier than Ireland/UK and the news has taken over channel 1. I'll let you know the second I hear anything.

I'm pretty sure she went yesterday but no update yet so would be good to know she is safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Countries are only now avoiding Ukraine air space. What they were doing flying over it is anyone's guess

US airlines have avoided the airspace since (I think) April

It's all about the money, money, money

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure she went yesterday but no update yet so would be good to know she is safe.

I hope you have called her and she did not reply and hence you are saying all this here on public forum. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭cml387

There could be the possibility of a major diplomatic row.
    Since the accident happened in Ukraine, the investigation should be Ukrainian. If , as seems possible, the rebels have control of the area, then evidence including CVR and DFDR could be sent to Moscow.And investigation of the crash site?
    The Russians should send the black boxes back to Kiev. But what if they don't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

vicwatson wrote: »
    US airlines have avoided the airspace since (I think) April

It's all about the money, money, money

Evidence of this?

Lots of blatant opinion on this.

Is it a coincidence that today is 17th....??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

tharmor wrote: »
    Is it a coincidence that today is 17th....??

P I double S off with your conspiracy and coincidental crap

Press conference in half an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Press conference in half an hour.

Where?

Sorry, I'm not really asking where.

What channels will be covering it? All of them?

Schiphol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

There was a teenage girl behind me in the queue in schipol balling crying and I was going to ask if she was ok but I was then called as I hadn't got my boarding pass in Cork, she really freaked me out and I was shaking with nerves myself. I never noticed her after that now but I'm really upset and freaked and she was not the only one freaked by boarding that jet. We are all alive but I can't help thinking I was only a click of a mouse from sealing my destiny, I also took strong sedatives (benzo diazepene) and slept for a lot of the flight as while I have clocked up 73 flights and over 120,000 air miles in my life yesterday's was the only I was truly nervous of due to MH370, I flew through the tail of Typhoon Rammasun afterwards from KUL to MNL and it was the most turbulent I was on ever, yet I felt safe on the new 737-800, the escape from the jaws of death I made is amazing.

I landed here in Manila to a scene of devastation, no electricity, sweat dripping from every pore, incalculable grinding poverty, awake over 40 hours and then I read of the miraculous escape I made. A quirk of fate or something else bigger? One thing is for sure that is a day I will never forget and for now as the jet lag starts to win the war and as I approach 50 hours awake must now I go to my sleep.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Where?

Sorry, I'm not really asking where.

What channels will be covering it? All of them?

Sorry, no idea. The scrolling bar at the bottom of Ned 1 is saying press conference at 21:53 (so, in just one minute). If it's in Dutch and not going out everywhere I'll post any key points I can figure out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Stinicker - I'm not into the paranormal but you'd nearly say someone somewhere was looking out for you. While of course it's no help that 295 people still died, even still - glad to have you still with us. I hope the rest of your travels go well and if you need to, talk to somebody about how you're feeling. Sending happy thoughts.

Lucky you escaped, but I wouldn't think about it too much, you could get survivors guilt - and don't think "what made me change my flight" - nothing did, randomness did.

There is no answer here , and if there is you'll never find it .

Glad you are ok .

The Cool wrote: »
    Stinicker - I'm not into the paranormal but you'd nearly say someone somewhere was looking out for you. While of course it's no help that 295 people still died, even still - glad to have you still with us. I hope the rest of your travels go well and if you need to, talk to somebody about how you're feeling. Sending happy thoughts.

Please --- this is crap ... while 295 people deserved to die including 80 kids ???

I'm glad he's ok , but it's luck - pure and simple.

Don't be so arrogant to think he/she has a guardian angel - it's disrespectful to those who died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Eurocontrol have issued a statement noting that Ukraine (a Eurocontrol member, which Russia is not) had closed the airspace below 32,000 feet but not above that and thus Eurocontrol were allocating routes accordingly. MH17 was at 10,000m/33,000ft.

Ukraine has now closed the Dnipropetrovsk FIR completely and routes filed will be rejected.

http://www.eurocontrol.int/news/mh-17-ukraine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Unofficial list of nationalities here but there are 58 passengers not included yet. No Hungarians mentioned.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/07/18/MH17-unofficial-nationality-list/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

the_monkey wrote: »
    Please --- this is crap ... while 295 people deserved to die including 80 kids ???

Don't be so arrogant to think he/she has a guardian angel - it's disrespectful to those who died.

I believe something, guardian angel be it whatever, saved me but I respect your opinion also. MH17 on Wed was overbooked and I was going to volunteer off as there was a typhoon here in Manila and I was afraid I'd get stuck in KL for a day as many flights into MNL were cancelled.

I was also wrecked tired as I flew from Cork at 6am and had no sleep since 9am the morning of the 15th, volunteering myself as an offload was the sort of thing I'd normally do in this situation as I travel alone and could have badly done with the sleep at the time, free hotel, food in Amsterdam, my normal decision was to do this and adding to my decision was that I also had the centre crappy seat in the 2-5-2 layout which they couldn't change due to it being full, however again something told me not to bother volunteering and staying overnight in Amsterdam which In hindsight would have put me on the fateful flight. I tried sleeping put can't due to jet lag and this.

Two changes of mind prevented me from being on MH17 on Thursday against my normal chain of thought / habits. Some of the people who I seen and possibly talked to in the gate area are now dead as they volunteered as offloads for Thursdays flight which seems was also full now as they got offloads from Wednesdays flight unless they went by a different airline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

What strikes me looking at the dreadful images is how concentrated the crash site is bearing in mind it was travelling at 33,000 ft. The missile must have just clipped it.

I see APN are now saying that they saw a BUK missile system in the town of Snizhne earlier in the day - you'd wonder why the info wasn't picked up on and a flight warning issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

fr336 wrote: »
    It's sad that if ATC and the airlines had simply done the most stupidly obvious thing imaginable - not flying commercial or even any other aircraft over a POTENTIALLY dubious area at times or unrest - this would never have happened.

I was listening to the TV and British Airways have a flight that goes straight over there. Can you imagine if it had to be a BA..not saying Malaysian aren't important, but the West collectively would have had a fit.

God we're a stupid species sometimes.

I'm not well informed about this but don't commercial airlines regularly fly routes over the likes of Afghanistan/Iraq etc? Surely this would have been a similiar principle?

Edit: Just read back a few pages. Seems it could have been an anti-aircraft missile system that can fire missiles capable of reaching cruising altitude.

They say the missile strike is not confirmed , but is this just safe talk ? is it 90% likely it was a shoot down?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

the_monkey wrote: »

Stop pretending you know more than anyone else.

The universe is a hugely complex place and you haven't got a clue what the answers are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement