Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FSA FPL Rate My Team Thread 2014-15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Thats it the Game constantly evolves Mata was the forums favourite the other week now everyone is selling. Chelsea defender, Debuchy and utd defensive coverage was 70% of teams at the start. Im going with all out attack as I think its the best way it remains to be seen if it is. What is for sure is that people are spending less on defence now than they were with their original gw1 teams.

Between injury, suspension and loss of form, there are very few players who will stay in a team the entire season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Ill take a 4 pt hit more than likely. No matter what team you pick you will have the same issue. Say you go for a more balanced team and have ade costa rooney up top and you want aguero but costa and rooney are performing so the only option is ade out.

Its nothing to do with taking a hit, my point is you would be forced into downgrading one of your key mids to accommodate. If I was in the same position with some money invested in defence it would be a lot easier imo, as I would simply downgrade a defender to get the cash. Its lower risk. I'm in the process of doing this now, dumping Debuchy for Wilson to free up the cash for Aguero. If you go with a big front 7 you will inevitably be left in a position where you might have to dump one of Ramsey, Fabregas, Sterling etc to accommodate a transfer. This is not something I want to have to do! Your point above RE getting rid of Ade isn't relevant as this has nothing to do with team selection.
    It makes little or no difference what way you lay your team out with regard to getting in players we will all face the same issues. Im going to be spending 66 million on my front 7 in whatever combo I can or see the need to.

To dumb it down a bit, I would rather downgrade a defender to upgrade elsewhere as its usually the least volatile part of your team. I try to build my team around attack and use whatever I have left in defence, sometimes with £0.5m/£1m in the bank. The 'Super Seven Approach' (copyright Roryc) takes this to the extreme and means that any transfers in of form players will likely cause the system to fall apart as you have to decide what key attacker to dump, rather than just changing a £6m defender to a £4m one.
    What is for sure is that people are spending less on defence now than they were with their original gw1 teams.

I agree, I'm downgrading me defence. I just think the above strategy is way too much. If you could manage it with an extra £2m in defence I would likely go for it, but theres just no breathing space here.

roryc wrote: »
    Its nothing to do with taking a hit, my point is you would be forced into downgrading one of your key mids to accommodate. If I was in the same position with some money invested in defence it would be a lot easier imo, as I would simply downgrade a defender to get the cash. Its lower risk. I'm in the process of doing this now, dumping Debuchy for Wilson to free up the cash for Aguero. If you go with a big front 7 you will inevitably be left in a position where you might have to dump one of Ramsey, Fabregas, Sterling etc to accommodate a transfer. This is not something I want to have to do! Your point above RE getting rid of Ade isn't relevant as this has nothing to do with team selection.

To dumb it down a bit, I would rather downgrade a defender to upgrade elsewhere as its usually the least volatile part of your team. I try to build my team around attack and use whatever I have left in defence, sometimes with £0.5m/£1m in the bank. The 'Super Seven Approach' (copyright Roryc) takes this to the extreme and means that any transfers in of form players will likely cause the system to fall apart as you have to decide what key attacker to dump, rather than just changing a £6m defender to a £4m one.

I agree, I'm downgrading me defence. I just think the above strategy is way too much. If you could manage it with an extra £2m in defence I would likely go for it, but theres just no breathing space here.

Your argument though is on the basis that the 'Super Seven' will remain the same. This won't happen. A week ago you hadn't Sterling in your team and were arguing the merits of Mata. Now a GW later and you don't want to go without Sterling. That's how quickly things change in this game.

Any system is going to be fairly rigid. You argue that Busts couldn't work Sturridge in easily but if Costa, Aguero and Falcao are all ripping the league up, what can you do to get the three of them in? You'll need to try and free up money from both defence and midfield.

Corners will always have to be cut somewhere in your team. It's weighing up the pros and cons of it. Different strategies may also work for different parts of the season might I add e.g. the proof above that Chelsea and City generally keep more clean sheets in the second half of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Ok just used my wildcard.

My team is;

Krul, Mannone.
    Coloccini, Debuchy, Azpilicueta, Hutton, Wisdom.
    Siggy, Ramsey, Fabregas, Sterling, Boyd.
    Welbeck, Costa, Falcao.

Bank: 0.6

Not sure whether to go for Naismith or Welbeck. If I go for Naismith, it will free up some funds. The extra funds will allow me to get Aguero in if Falcao doesn’t live up to expectations.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,085 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lemlin wrote: »
    Your argument though is on the basis that the 'Super Seven' will remain the same. This won't happen. A week ago you hadn't Sterling in your team and were arguing the merits of Mata. Now a GW later and you don't want to go without Sterling. That's how quickly things change in this game.

Any system is going to be fairly rigid. You argue that Busts couldn't work Sturridge in easily but if Costa, Aguero and Falcao are all ripping the league up, what can you do to get the three of them in? You'll need to try and free up money from both defence and attack.

Corners will always have to be cut somewhere in your team. It's weighing up the pros and cons of it. Different strategies may also work for different parts of the season might I add e.g. the proof above that Chelsea and City generally keep more clean sheets in the second half of the season.
    I think primarily it is the who rather than the what anyway.

In terms of flexibility of movement, I'm not sure there is a huge amount of difference between the 2 strategies anyway.

You both have the same category and pricebrackets of premium midfielders, that you intend to stick with unless someone else becomes a premium midfielder.

On Rory's side he is keeping defenders to free up value if he needs to at a later stage, whereas with your strategy you've already done that exact same thing immediately, rather than as a precautionary measure.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    I think primarily it is the who rather than the what anyway.

In terms of flexibility of movement, I'm not sure there is a huge amount of difference between the 2 strategies anyway.

That's my point. RoryC argues against Busts' team as he feels his has greater flexibility but I don't think it does tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

3-5-2 wildcard midfield of doom!

00nybx6.png

On Rory's side he is keeping defenders to free up value if he needs to at a later stage, whereas with your strategy you've already done that exact same thing immediately, rather than as a precautionary measure.

Yep this is pretty much it. To be honest unless Falcao starts really well I don't think there is much up for debate. I think having someone like Naismith frees up so much cash that can be invested across the rest of the team. Its basically Falcao plus a sh*t defence and possibly non playing midfielder, or Naismith plus a healthy balanced backline and usable midfielder. Captaincy potential aside I think having a strong seven detracts too much from the rest of your team. Every week he fails then the plan backfires. I'm focusing on him as I assume most people are looking to have Costa + Aguero (and maintain their big midfielders). For me it essentially comes down to this decision;

Falcao + Boyd + Wisdom + Moore + Krul

OR

Naismith + Larsson + Terry + Pieters + De Gea

Granted the defences haven't been great up until now, but with the weak defenders you would almost expect to get 8-10 points (or less) from these four players each week. Massive over reliance on Falcao to make up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'm not as caught up with key players or form players as most and will move on players whenever I feel there is a better option or a better way of spending my money. I sold mata gw 1 for hazard. A couple of years ago i offloaded RVP for a stretch. I can only have 6 big guns and siggy or if need be I'd go 5 big guns siggy and a 7 million player . The key thing is ill have 66 million for my seven attacking players or 60 for 6 discounting siggy. I'm never afraid to drop a form player if i think it will help my team it's the way I play the game. So if I needed Aguero and the only way I could get him is sell fab or Ramsey so be it. I hope by having more big guns than most will outweigh the points people should gain on me by having a more expensive defence.

I'm not as caught up with key players or form players as most and will move on players whenever I feel there is a better option or a better way of spending my money. I sold mata gw 1 for hazard. A couple of years ago i offloaded RVP for a stretch. I can only have 6 big guns and siggy or if need be I'd go 5 big guns siggy and a 7 million player . The key thing is ill have 66 million for my seven attacking players or 60 for 6 discounting siggy. I'm never afraid to drop a form player if i think it will help my team it's the way I play the game. So if I needed Aguero and the only way I could get him is sell fab or Ramsey so be it. I hope by having more big guns than most will outweigh the points people should gain on me by having a more expensive defence.

Yeah its just two different ways to play it. I'll likely go without Falcao in order to keep the team a bit more balanced... John Terry has to score sometime! Di Maria is definitely on my radar after his performance last night, against Germany no less! More interested in trying to work him in over Falcao.

• Advertisement

Yep this is pretty much it. To be honest unless Falcao starts really well I don't think there is much up for debate. I think having someone like Naismith frees up so much cash that can be invested across the rest of the team. Its basically Falcao plus a sh*t defence and possibly non playing midfielder, or Naismith plus a healthy balanced backline and usable midfielder. Captaincy potential aside I think having a strong seven detracts too much from the rest of your team. Every week he fails then the plan backfires. I'm focusing on him as I assume most people are looking to have Costa + Aguero (and maintain their big midfielders). For me it essentially comes down to this decision;

OR

Granted the defences haven't been great up until now, but with the weak defenders you would almost expect to get 8-10 points (or less) from these four players each week. Massive over reliance on Falcao to make up for that.
    Not of the opinion that Falcao is a massive necessity here. The expensive strikers that appeal may differ at given times, you could ignore United altogether and have an impressive big hitter strikeforce of Aguero/Costa/Sturridge, and then if less than 3 are appealling at any given time, you can use those funds to adjust.

I really think its much less of a matter of the what than it is the who. If you get your defenders right your policy will be just as successful as Lemlin's. If he gets his right, theres probably a bit more scope for points haul, but with a higher risk of failure attached also.

Yeah, but even swapping Sturridge in for Falcao it would be the same, although you would be £0.5m worse off again. I think the above 5 with Naismith will outscore the above with Falcao/Sturridge over the next month or two. Agaion, I think we should take captaincy out of this as its hard to quantify how often you would captain them with so many strong players in your team. Theres no wrong answer here, just a debate over playing styles. I think going all out on attack is higher risk and a worse strategy as it leaves you too weak at the back. As I said, if you had an extra £2m it would make a world of difference to the debate.

Not of the opinion that Falcao is a massive necessity here. The expensive strikers that appeal may differ at given times, you could ignore United altogether and have an impressive big hitter strikeforce of Aguero/Costa/Sturridge, and then if less than 3 are appealling at any given time, you can use those funds to adjust.

I really think its much less of a matter of the what than it is the who. If you get your defenders right your policy will be just as successful as Lemlin's. If he gets his right, theres probably a bit more scope for points haul, but with a higher risk of failure attached also.

It's not my strategy to be honest. It's Busts'. At the minute I won't be going near Falcao until I see how he plays and fits in at United. My front three are Aguero, Costa and Ade. I do have 2.5 mil banked so Falcao is a possiblity if required.

I've wildcarded and am currently happy with my front 8:

Sterling, Ramsey, Fabregas, Siggy, Marney
    Aguero, Costa, Ade.

My backline then is:

Krul
    PvA, Taylor, Dummett, Wisdom, Moore

I have 2.5 mil banked then. I'll decide where I go next over the next few weeks. Spurs play Sunderland, West Brom, Arsenal and Saints so I haven't given up on Ade yet.

It's not my strategy to be honest. It's Busts'. At the minute I won't be going near Falcao until I see how he plays and fits in at United. My front three are Aguero, Costa and Ade. I do have 2.5 mil banked so Falcao is a possiblity if required.

Aguero, Costa, Ade.

My backline then is:

Krul

I have 2.5 mil banked then. I'll decide where I go next over the next few weeks. Spurs play Sunderland, West Brom, Arsenal and Saints so I haven't given up on Ade yet.

Too late, it's already been dubbed the Lemlin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Aguero, Costa, Ade.

My backline then is:

Krul

I've a similar widcarded team but have gone for wellbeck instead of Ade, what do you think?

I think he'll slot in well in Arsenal and 6.9m for their main striker who i think will play every game for now is good value?

OR

To me the above two scenarios effectively come down to:

Falcao + 4 mil cheapie against Naismith and Terry.

I don't think there'll be a huge difference in points between Boyd, 4 mil cheapie and Krul or Larsson, Pieters and De Gea.

I've a similar widcarded team but have gone for wellbeck instead of Ade, what do you think?

I think he'll slot in well in Arsenal and 6.9m for their main striker who i think will play every game for now is good value?

I'm happiest with Ade at the minute but I certainly have an eye on Wellbeck. Ade has a poor rep amongst alot here (and in real-life tbh) but his stats are ridiculous for a sub ten mil player when he plays.

34 goals in 81 League games in his Spurs career. 11 goals in 21 games last year, plus he'll get assists. He got near 200 points in 2011/2012 when Spurs played him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Aguero, Costa, Ade.

My backline then is:

Krul

It's not really my strategy either as I don't have the big front 3. My strategy is leave 60 million for 6 attacking players that could be big front 3 if need be. I'm currently on silva fab Ramsey RVP Sturridge ADe. My transfer this week will probably be silva to sterling .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

This is what I'm going with at the moment.

80cb8c23b8836400c4cb752b5a75ed9d.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

This is what I'm going with at the moment.

80cb8c23b8836400c4cb752b5a75ed9d.png

I would be swapping Debuchy to Jones or Moreno based on the next 4 Gameweeks

• Advertisement

I don't think there'll be a huge difference in points between Boyd, 4 mil cheapie and Krul or Larsson, Pieters and De Gea.

OK then, fancy a friendly wager on who will score more between now and xmas? Its not even close.

OK then, fancy a friendly wager on who will score more between now and xmas? Its not even close.

Oh how this post made me laugh :D

Why would I agree to a wager with someone who lost the last one and promptly ignored his forfeit!?

Once bitten, twice shy when it comes to wagers with individuals who don't keep to them in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Chesty08 wrote: »
    I would be swapping Debuchy to Jones or Moreno based on the next 4 Gameweeks

I've gone for Moreno. I don't trust United at the moment. That could change when the new signings begin to play more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Everybody quick look over there to your right ->

*guides everybody to the left and proceeds to run, and run fast*

So how about that FPL eh? hell of a game :) Ramsey would be a fine addition to any team.

Everybody quick look over there to your right ->

*guides everybody to the left and proceeds to run, and run fast*

So how about that FPL eh? hell of a game :) Ramsey would be a fine addition to any team.

More people would look if you told them you had Jennifer Lawrence photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Oh how this post made me laugh :D

Why would I agree to a wager with someone who lost the last one and promptly ignored his forfeit!?

Once bitten, twice shy when it comes to wagers with individuals who don't keep to them in my book.

What was the forfeit?!

What was the forfeit?!

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056944883/5

Anyway, I'll leave it there because I don't want a ban. It's hard enough moderating this forum lately for the mods without RoryC restarting the bickering.

More people would look if you told them you had Jennifer Lawrence photos!

Kate Uptons are much better!!

This has now turned into the FSA Rate The Fappening Thread!

• Advertisement

This has now turned into the FSA Rate The Fappening Thread!
    Kate Upton > Fantasy Football

Nah probably not actually, but she is fairly decent

Advertisement