Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Mr.S wrote: »
    Jesus. I don't even know if you are joking, there are worse things to be worrying about.
    If I was able to post the links here proving that it causes arterial plaque, heart attacks, strokes and various forms of cancer without them being deleted then I would.

So it is serious and something to be worried about.

Tests were done on rats who drank milk for instance which was pasteurised and homogenised with tap water and they all had huge buildups of arterial plaque whereas the rats without the treated milk had none.

Yet people haven't a care in the world here and want to pay for water which is causing them harm over many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Not really no.

IMF "owned" by a rich Jewish family? Please don't bring conspiracy theories into After Hours, keep them where they belong.
    This information is available freely from wherever you choose to look. Take your head out of the sand. It's embarrassing.
    Most European countries have water charges, Ireland has been an anomaly in that regard for decades and our water infrastructure has suffered as a result. Indirect taxation does not provide sufficient funds to maintain our infrastructure nevermind upgrade it and the haphazard unco-ordinated management by local authorities has done more harm than good. Our infrastructure needs more funds and to be placed under a single authority. I don't agree with everything IW does but water charges and a single body to collect them are a necessity.
    I'll repeat again - you are already paying for water!!
    We could have reformed the system without introducing yet another tax.

They are defending made up rights. You do not have the right to treated water.
    Made up rights? Are you serious? I actually don't even know how to respond to that. You are saying that a human being does not have a right to unpolluted drinking water? That's just incredible.

No, I'm paying general taxation. Previously an insufficient amount of money was taken from that pool of money and our infrastructure suffered as a result. Now that money that was previously siphoned off can go towards closing our deficit.
    And you know why this defict happened, right? Bailing out bondholders? Or is that another 'conspiracy theory' in your eyes? There is plenty of money to go towards our infrastructure. But some people are too f*cking greedy to share their wealth.

Irish water is not a private company. It is a subsidiary of Bord Gáis.
    Wrong. Look up solocheck.ie and find Irish Water. You will see it listed as a private company.

Perhaps before dismissing facts as conspiracy theories, you could actually do some research? It scares me how easily people can be brainwashed.

Whether the protesters asked for my sympathy is irrelevant to the fact they don't have it...
    Again, more petty and unnecessary arrogance. I don't know what you think this will achieve?

I always thought that if people knew the truth, they would WANT to take their power back. A group of cronies surely couldn't brainwash a society en mass to line their own pockets? But it seems that they can and this is sad. It appears that you're either not ready or completely unwilling to see how you are being taken for a fool. But that's absolutely your choice and I respect your decision.
    All the chemicals in the world baby.

The fact that no one takes conspiracy theories seriously makes my chemicals taste even sweeter. ;)

You see, it's after quotes like this that I just can't have a further discussion with you. The comment is just so ridiculous, it's actually pretty scary.

So i'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Wurly wrote: »
    This information is available freely from wherever you choose to look. Take your head out of the sand. It's embarrassing.
    When you make a claim you have to be able to justify it. Saying "go research" is a cop out. If you make outlandish claims that the IMF is secretly controlled by a rich Jewish family expect people to dismiss it as conspiracy nonsense.
    I'll repeat again - you are already paying for water!!
    We could have reformed the system without introducing yet another tax.
    I'll repeat again - previously an insufficient amount of money was taken from the pool of money I paid as general taxation and our infrastructure suffered as a result. Now that money that was previously siphoned off can go towards closing our deficit.
    Made up rights? Are you serious? I actually don't even know how to respond to that. You are saying that a human being does not have a right to unpolluted drinking water? That's just incredible.
    Human beings have the right to access clean water. That water does not 1. Have to be free and 2. Have to be piped directly to the person's house. Your human rights are not being affected by water charges.
    And you know why this defict happened, right? Bailing out bondholders? Or is that another 'conspiracy theory' in your eyes? There is plenty of money to go towards our infrastructure. But some people are too f*cking greedy to share their wealth.
    The bailout was a bad decision by Ireland's then leaders, that's irrelevant now. Now we need to concentrate on closing the deficit.
    Wrong. Look up solocheck.ie and find Irish Water. You will see it listed as a private company.

Perhaps before dismissing facts as conspiracy theories, you could actually do some research? It scares me how easily people can be brainwashed.
    Wrong. IW is a subsidiary of Bord Gáis.
    Again, more petty and unnecessary arrogance. I don't know what you think this will achieve?

I always thought that if people knew the truth, they would WANT to take their power back. A group of cronies surely couldn't brainwash a society en mass to line their own pockets? But it seems that they can and this is sad. It appears that you're either not ready or completely unwilling to see how you are being taken for a fool. But that's absolutely your choice and I respect your decision.
    I'm "brainwashed" because I believe in paying for a commodity I consume instead of expecting it for free? You can not be serious.
    You see, it's after quotes like this that I just can't have a further discussion with you. The comment is just so ridiculous, it's actually pretty scary.

So I'm out
    I was taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Peaceful protesting will work if it continues and the numbers of protests and those protesting increase.
    It worked for Bolivia. Do not trust a word that comes out of Enda and Joan's mouths.

Are there any groups out there yet removing water meters anonymously around the Country?

https://www.culturalsurvival.org/news/alana-libow/bolivian-protesters-end-water-privatization-la-paz-el-alto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

IMF owned by Rothschilds? Its hard to keep up all these whacky claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tony EH wrote: »
    "Data that we collect from you may be transferred to a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA")"

http://www.water.ie/data-protection-notice/

"The woman" on Pat Kenny is indicative of the "gobshites" that have been placed in charge of this most valuable asset. She probably hasn't the first clue, but is an FG buddy trotted out to parrot the required bullshit her position demands.

Why anybody would want to hand over information to these people is incredible.

Thats not selling pps numbers to people outside the Eu and was addressed on the program. Iw use a fairly standard list of terms and conditions that other utilities use and allows for companies outside the Eu to be used for it work that may need to be done, should the need arise not that they are or intend to at the minute, just that of it comes up its already covered

Is this a case of assumeing everyone outside the Eu are thieves looking to steal your info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 hiFidelity

Goldman Sachs: Water Is Still the Next Petroleum

In 2008, Goldman Sachs called water “the petroleum for the next century” and those investors who know how to play the infrastructure boom will reap huge rewards, during its annual “Top Five Risks” conference. Water is a U.S.$425 billion industry.

Goldman Sachs is positioning itself to buy up water utilities, water engineering companies, and water resources worldwide. Since 2006, Goldman Sachs has become one of the largest infrastructure investment fund managers and has amassed a $10 billion capital for infrastructure, including water.

In March 2012, Goldman Sachs was eyeing Veolia’s UK water utility business, estimated at £1.2 billion, and in July it successfully bought Veolia Water, which serves 3.5 million people in southeastern England.

Previously, in September 2003, Goldman Sachs partnered with one of the world’s largest private-equity firm Blackstone Group and Apollo Management to acquire Ondeo Nalco (a leading company in providing water-treatment and process chemicals and services, with more than 10,000 employees and operations in 130 countries) from French water corporation Suez S.A. for U.S.$4.2 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Irish Water keeps on giving and giving...
    Householders with a suspected water leak are reported to be facing a minimum call-out charge of €188 from Irish water.
    The Sunday Times reports that this fee covers any problem detected after the first fix, which will be free.
    The company has also sought permission to charge a minimum call-out fee for working out of office hours of €282 for the first hour and €141 for any additional hour.
    It is also believed to be seeking approval from the Commission for Energy Regulation to introduce a range of other charges - including a €220 fee to test water pressure, and a €17 fee for a special meter reading.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/irish-water-call-out-charge-plans-revealed-645848.html

€188 just for call out during office hours. A typical call-out for a plumber in South Dublin is €70-100. They must have must be some unique calibre of expert working for Irish Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,883 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/irish-water-call-out-charge-plans-revealed-645848.html

€188 just for call out during office hours. A typical call-out for a plumber in South Dublin is €70-100. They must have must be some unique calibre of expert working for Irish Water.

Householders with a suspected water leak are reported to be facing a minimum call-out charge of €188 from Irish water.
    The Sunday Times reports that this fee covers any problem detected after the first fix, which will be free.
    The company has also sought permission to charge a minimum call-out fee for working out of office hours of €282 for the first hour and €141 for any additional hour.
    It is also believed to be seeking approval from the Commission for Energy Regulation to introduce a range of other charges - including a €220 fee to test water pressure, and a €17 fee for a special meter reading.

It is also believed, it has been reported. Usual journalese non speak.

I think I will wait until the real information becomes available. Scare stories in Sunday newspapers, what a surprise. The same press geniuses who told us we would have to pay €400 to have our meters installed, and that the average property tax would be €1000.

I have no leaks on my side anyway, and if one does arise I will get it fixed for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I have no leaks on my side anyway, and if one does arise I will get it fixed for free.

There's no such thing as free, your neighbours will pay for it, the same as your "free" allowance.

• Advertisement

Satriale wrote: »
    There's no such thing as free, your neighbours will pay for it, the same as your "free" allowance.

The Sunday Times says it's free, is that not good enough for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

The Sunday Times says it's free, is that not good enough for you?

I'd like to sell you this nice doorbell for 200k, i like you so much im going to throw in the house.
    Credit card and PPS no please? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Not all but it's fair to say a higher proportion than would be statistically expected are unemployed.

It's isn't remotely "fair to say".

You perceive it that way because you wish to, influenced by your narrow minded political views.

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Spin Spin Spin Spin, I suspect.

The real fees will probably fall about 15-20% below these figures,
    then weare all supposed to go, phew that"s not too bad, at least better than what we feared.

See how cynical politics and politicians have made me? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Is this a case of assumeing everyone outside the Eu are thieves looking to steal your info?

Another nodding dog being willfully ignorant and missing the point completely.

People don't want that information being transfered to ANYBODY. Especially by a company being greased for privatisation.

What fuck is wrong you people?

:pac:

Satriale wrote: »
    I'd like to sell you this nice doorbell for 200k, i like you so much im going to throw in the house.
    Credit card and PPS no please? :pac:

I had mine removed. I got the no bell prize for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

dieselbug wrote: »
    Spin Spin Spin Spin, I suspect.

The real fees will probably fall about 15-20% below these figures,
    then weare all supposed to go, phew that"s not too bad, at least better than what we feared.

See how cynical politics and politicians have made me? :(

Those figures are the figures in the agreed charging document - BUT no on eha sto call out Irish Water for a leak in their house - just call a plumber. IF you call Irish Water - that is what they will charge you but you don't have to call them. Water pipes in your house are your responsibility and you decide who to use to fix them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Do you assume most Irish people will 'lie and steal' when it comes to Irish Water.
    Maybe they should just take your word for it on how many kids are in the house etc? It's not a big stretch to think that there would be more allowances claimed for water for children than there are children in the state......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92658793&postcount=5840

Its not telling lies to get water, its telling lies to not pay for water your getting. You can use and pay for all the water you like without giving your pps number, thats a choice your free to make
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92660069&postcount=5888

I don't want to confuse people who only get their information from reports of newspaper reports and from regurgitated half truths on the internet. But the real sources are out there. Like the CER.

http://www.cer.ie/document-detail/CER-Water-Charges-Plan-Consultation/979

http://www.cer.ie/docs/000979/CER14452%20WCP%20Domestic%20Response%20and%20Decision%20Paper.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

The line we're being fed about the government being forced to introduce water charges because of the troika and FF signing us up to water charges is also a lie.

FG had plans for Irish Water, long before they ever got into Govt.

It's a scam and a lie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

This is a very good article from Gene Kerrigan in the Irish Independent today.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/gene-kerrigan/time-to-ask-why-are-we-doing-this-30674782.html

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

If a huge majority of people refuse to pay, what can they do? Put 500,000 people in jail?
    We have had enough, I'm not paying these charges, I am not handing out any information, I have not received an application pack, they are the most unorganised suspect company I have ever come across, they don't have a clue what they are doing. Typical Irish gob****es just letting government and in this case a semi-state company force this on us, it is a huge bill that people can't afford to pay. Throw me in jail, don't care, not a cent will they see.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/gene-kerrigan/time-to-ask-why-are-we-doing-this-30674782.html

That is entirely your opinion. Of what is an opinion piece, not reportage. I'm sure Gene had a great time polishing his prose to condemn all and sundry as is the wont of "journalists".

Other people may think it is very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

In fact they have stated the complete opposite.

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-water-prime-time-1687029-Sep2014/

From you're source above...

Miriam O'Callaghan Prime Time interview with EA of Irish Water.

"M: Your website says you can pass on information for marketing and credit checking, what does that mean?

EA: This is so we can include information inserts into bills on issues such as water conservation…On the issue of credit checking there has been some misunderstanding…We have an obligation to ensure that if a customer gets into arrears we have a responsibility to check about their ability to pay."

I don't see how this does not amount to passing on personal information to third party.

What guarantee is there that the third parties will not do same.?

And so on.

The Revenue do not pass on personal details to marketing agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

Read it already. Good article. Why so much hassle for the government for such little gain?

It's like the government are being bullied into introducing this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Good god. There are so many older houses built decades ago still going today. God only knows what the water pipes are like with these older houses. I know my family home was built back in the 80s. Many people just wouldn't have this kind of money.

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    If a huge majority of people refuse to pay, what can they do? Put 500,000 people in jail?
    We have had enough, I'm not paying these charges, I am not handing out any information, I have not received an application pack, they are the most unorganised suspect company I have ever come across, they don't have a clue what they are doing. Typical Irish gob****es just letting government and in this case a semi-state company force this on us, it is a huge bill that people can't afford to pay. Throw me in jail, don't care, not a cent will they see.

If I was a betting man like yourself I would wager that you will pay. But I would not risk a cent on you being thrown into jail.

Good god. There are so many older houses built decades ago still going today. God only knows what the water pipes are like with these older houses. I know my family home was built back in the 80s. Many people just wouldn't have this kind of money.

Like the other poster said, you don't have to get IW to fix leaks or do other plumbing jobs. Don't let yourself be scared by stuff which is in the papers and then put up here by other scare mongers.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

If I was a betting man like yourself I would wager that you will pay. But I would not risk a cent on you being thrown into jail.

I won't pay. And anyone that does is a muppet.
    Out basic living right is some bloody water (which is already paid for apparently). I would sooner leave Ireland than pay for water, because this country is now a complete KIP.

• Advertisement

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    I won't pay. And anyone that does is a muppet.
    Out basic living right is some bloody water (which is already paid for apparently). I would sooner leave Ireland than pay for water, because this country is now a complete KIP.

Pick a country which will give you "free" water.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement