Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tony EH wrote: »
    Another nodding dog being willfully ignorant and missing the point completely.

People don't want that information being transfered to ANYBODY. Especially by a company being greased for privatisation.

What fuck is wrong you people?

:pac:

You know that IT contractors, individual and big companies exist, yes?

I'd say every company you've dealt with above a certain size has used them at one point or another as well as government departments. Why the sudden worry with IW that you didn't have before with other companies/state bodies?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,883 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Your new hero, Micheal Martin. I will join in your prediction game. Two things on which the clock is ticking, his leadership of FF and "free" water in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭waking dreams

As I have said before, I have lost much much more as a worker by my wages being cut and being on a pay freeze for over 6 years, than the water is ever going to cost me. As a worker I want to see non-workers contributing a bit to the services they get. Workers have to pay for everybody.

I know that feeling, I had to take a 6 grand deduction in wage after working my way up the chain of command in a privately owned shipping company. I believe that the current issue with Irish Water is revealing on a National scale that Irish Water isn't the only issue we as a country have. We do not live in a democracy. Just like you had the pay freeze in your job, others lost theirs and are still trying to get work. Both of which spawned from a flawed system. What do we get? The option to vote in the political party. We have a choice of 5 political parties to vote on? Everyone votes for the "best of a bad bunch at that point in time" hoping that it will change. It won't. The system does not work. We as people pay tax to keep the country going financially and we pay tax so that the Government can supply us with the services we need. What happened along the way? It dosent have to be like this. Irish Water and the laughable stories surrounding them is opening peoples minds. There can be a change. We have the numbers. So if you work or if you get the dole, you can make a difference by speaking up. Any Dubs on here, I hope to see a lot of you on November 1st. This has gone far beyond lazy gits sitting on dole money versus hard workers paying the way. Paying the way for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

OK so a water meter was installed on Sept 3rd - 46 days (roughly 7 weeks)

I have been lifting the lid and checking the readings and I "seemed" quite high.

Rang Irish Water to clarify how to read properly and asked for someone to call and check all is OK, They called when I was out of the country, rang me afterwards and said that their fitting is OK and there is no leak 200mm up from the stop cock.

Dring the course of the conversation the call person didn't have a reading from the engineer who called and had to clarify if my 17yr old daughter is entitled to an allowance (she is of 21,000litres).

So I told her that I read the meter on Wednesday it was 26xxx (xxx being red digits), this equates to 26,000 litres. So she said you may well have a leak, Great I say to myself.

I arrived home yesterday to an empty house and I checked and yes the dial is moving, it looks like a litre every 1min 40sec

Round this up to 2mins a litre this means 30litres per hour and on to 720 litres per day!!

So Irish Water rang yesterday as I was checking and I said there may be a leak and what do I do, he says call a plumber!

I said I thought there was a first fix free policy announced and he says not until 2015.

So we both conclude that I do one of the following…

1) call plumber and fix it now off my own bat, no reimbursement from Irish Water
    or
    2) wait for the first fix free policy to start and allow water to leak,if it is a leak.

Questions..
    1) anyone else come across this? Having a meter installed and the meter indicating that there is a leak

2) What do I do? fix now or wait

3) anyone have suggestions as to identifying where the leak is?

So, it's simply pettiness on your behalf.

Got ya so. ;)

Why should all the people that use the water not pay for it rather than just taxpayers?

and if they should'nt have to pay for water, why should they have to pay for electricity or gas?

• Advertisement

That's a roundabout way of saying you want social welfare/those on state assistance payments cut tbh.

It is a direct way of saying that mortgage free households which take in more than €400 a week tax free from taxpayers and get a medical card and a free TV licence can afford it more easily than a lot of workers with big mortgages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

This has gone far beyond lazy gits sitting on dole money versus hard workers paying the way. Paying the way for what?

This!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Why should all the people that use the water not pay for it rather than just taxpayers?

and if they should'nt have to pay for water, why should they have to pay for electricity or gas?

We're all taxpayers.

Cuttlefish wrote: »

I have been lifting the lid and checking the readings and I "seemed" quite high.

Rang Irish Water to clarify how to read properly and asked for someone to call and check all is OK, They called when I was out of the country, rang me afterwards and said that their fitting is OK and there is no leak 200mm up from the stop cock.

Dring the course of the conversation the call person didn't have a reading from the engineer who called and had to clarify if my 17yr old daughter is entitled to an allowance (she is of 21,000litres).

So I told her that I read the meter on Wednesday it was 26xxx (xxx being red digits), this equates to 26,000 litres. So she said you may well have a leak, Great I say to myself.

I arrived home yesterday to an empty house and I checked and yes the dial is moving, it looks like a litre every 1min 40sec

Round this up to 2mins a litre this means 30litres per hour and on to 720 litres per day!!

So Irish Water rang yesterday as I was checking and I said there may be a leak and what do I do, he says call a plumber!

I said I thought there was a first fix free policy announced and he says not until 2015.

1) call plumber and fix it now off my own bat, no reimbursement from Irish Water
    or
    2) wait for the first fix free policy to start and allow water to leak,if it is a leak.

Questions..
    1) anyone else come across this? Having a meter installed and the meter indicating that there is a leak

I would be interested to see what the pro water charges camp have to say about this?

Wurly wrote: »
    I would be interested to see what the pro water charges camp have to say about this?

Well based on this I have "lost" 23,000 litre and used about 6,000 so if I don't fix it my bill will be astronomical

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Cause you will live 80 years without gas and electricity, you will live a few days without water!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Your new hero, Micheal Martin. I will join in your prediction game. Two things on which the clock is ticking, his leadership of FF and "free" water in Northern Ireland.

Because I reference someone making a point (with no rebuttal) does not make him my hero.

I couldn't name 4 ff tds, so who is their leader is of no concern of mine.

Ditto water in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭waking dreams

or

Questions..

That's horrible. I would suggest that until you can agree something realistic with Irish Water that you follow this gentleman's instructions. It may seem excessive however Irish Water seem to be excessive with their suggestions too.

It wont let me post the link, however Youtube search "how to remove Irish Water meter Navan". Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Well based on this I have "lost" 23,000 litre and used about 6,000 so if I don't fix it my bill will be astronomical

cuttlefish, if you have another second cutoff valve (in the house, maybe under the kitchen sink) turn it off and check if your meter is moving. That will isolate whether the problem is outside or in a leaky toilet inside

That's horrible. I would suggest that until you can agree something realistic with Irish that you follow this gentleman's instructions. It may seem excessive however Irish Water seem to be excessive with there suggestions too.

It wont let me post the link, however Youtube search "how to remove Irish Water meter Navan". Best of luck.

I will check the clip later but here I am worrying all weekend after they saying

1) you "seem" to have a leak

2) There is no first fix policy yet

3) If you go and fix yourself you will not be reimbursed

Bearing in mind my front drive is stencilled concrete and my downstairs toilet and kitchen are tiled!!

Regardless of what side anyone is on I would say get in a plumber. That would have been the case up until now anyway if the leak had been known about. Someone here posted that plumbers are a lot cheaper than the reported IW charges.

Or just leave things as they are. All charges are capped for nine months anyway so the cost of the wasted water won't be an issue until 2015. Hundreds of thousands of litres have been wasted at that premises over the years probably. The meter installation has identified the leak which is a good thing, even if the repair is delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

would this not be your overflow/toilets just topping itself up?

the house could be empty, but the if somebody had a shower, used toilet, did the dishes before they left/you came home then there would be space to fill upstairs.

only way you can test for sure is not to use anything for a couple of hours and let things settle down. then run the main tap and flush the toilet and see how the meter reacts.

720l a day would mean your house would be floating by now, id be very surprised if you have a leak. faulty meter is the likely also.

Satriale wrote: »
    cuttlefish, if you have another second cutoff valve (in the house, maybe under the kitchen sink) turn it off and check if your meter is moving. That will isolate whether the problem is outside or in a leaky toilet inside

Yes I was thinking of that, it will help narrow the search.

Does anyone have ideas?

I mean to say 720 litres per days would I not notice a damp area on the concrete or is the pipe so far down it would not be noticed at the surface?

would this not be your overflow/toilets just topping itself up?

the house could be empty, but the if somebody had a shower, used toilet, did the dishes before they left/you came home then there would be space to fill upstairs.

only way you can test for sure is not to use anything for a couple of hours and let things settle down. then run the main tap and flush the toilet and see how the meter reacts.

Dog woke me at 5:30 this morning so I actually opened up the cover and read the meter, it was still moving at 05:30

I will check the clip later but here I am worrying all weekend after they saying

1) you "seem" to have a leak

2) There is no first fix policy yet

3) If you go and fix yourself you will not be reimbursed

Bearing in mind my front drive is stencilled concrete and my downstairs toilet and kitchen are tiled!!
    so the cost of the wasted water won't be an issue until 2015.

You see this is what I have a problem with. People living their lives in fear. The government have a duty to protect and ensure the wellbeing of their citizens.

So Cuttlefish has to live his/her life in fear until 2015? I'm sorry, that is just plain wrong!

• Advertisement

http://www.water.ie/help-centre/questions-and-answers/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-water-leak-on-my-property/

What will I do if I have a water leak on my property

If the leak is within the boundary of your property it is your responsibility as the owner of the property to get it fixed. We would advise you to contact an accredited plumber who may assist you in determining the location of the leak and make a repair to the pipe.
    If the leak is outside your property please contact Irish Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mynameismud

But there will be lots of money for people to continue their alcohol, tobacco and gambling habits. And a million households must have pay TV when there is free TV. And if Garth Brooks comes back 400,000 households will find the money to have a weekend in Dublin. And if Donegal are in the All Ireland final next year they could fill Croke Park twice over.

lol,yeah they should stay in all weekend measuring how many egg cups of water it takes to fill their bath

"Irish Water will deliver a free first fix scheme, entitling every household to a free fix of the first leak on a customer’s water supply pipe, between the property boundary to within one metre of a property. " Your best bet would be to get a plumber in asap.

You see this is what I have a problem with. People living their lives in fear. The government have a duty to protect and ensure the wellbeing of their citizens.

So Cuttlefish has to live his/her life in fear until 2015? I'm sorry, that is just plain wrong!

If for example I do nothing until 1/1/2015 then litres lost is 86,400!!

(based on 120 days from Sept 3 2014 until Jan 1 2015 and losing 720 litres per day)

We're all taxpayers.

Who is this "we all?" plenty of people are not taxpayers.

Should all your bills stop when you cease to be a taxpayer? Sure you've paid tax before.

"Irish Water will deliver a free first fix scheme, entitling every household to a free fix of the first leak on a customer’s water supply pipe, between the property boundary to within one metre of a property. " Your best bet would be to get a plumber in asap.

Clarify property?
    You mean where the drive meets the footpath?
    If so there is no first fix free policy?

What if the leak is under my kitchen?

Cause you will live 80 years without gas and electricity, you will live a few days without water!

Well then food should be free so , no?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Who is this "we all?" plenty of people are not taxpayers.

Should all your bills stop when you cease to be a taxpayer? Sure you've paid tax before.

We all pay taxes.

If for example I do nothing until 1/1/2015 then litres lost is 604,800!!

(based on 120 days from Sept 3 2014 until Jan 1 2015 and losing 720 litres per day)

What a f*cking ridiculous situation to be in. I really feel for you. I'd take out the meter if I were you.

• Advertisement

Clarify property?
    You mean where the drive meets the footpath?
    If so there is no first fix free policy?

What if the leak is under my kitchen?

Then it's YOUR problem, I'd imagine, unless your kitchen sink in within a metre of the property boundry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement