Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Tony EH wrote: »
    EVERYBODY should be concerned as to where their private information ends up.

If you don't think it's important. List you real name, current address, dependents and your PPS number below...

Go on, we're waiting.

If you don't see the difference between posting all that information on a public forum and providing a pps number to a semi state body specifically authorised to use it then I don't really see why anyone would expect to have any kind of reasonable conversation with you.

People talk about the government and IW scaremongering but they've got nothing on the people here claiming that the pps is the key to all your finances and personal files. The same people are stating as fact that prices will be put up yearly to fund the exchequer and IW will be privatised very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Let's hope that Irish Water and water charges will indeed be the eventual downfall and collapse of the Coalition Government.

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/government-downfall-irish-water-1730831-Oct2014/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Meter installation beginning in my area. Havnt even finished one row and the place is in a mess already.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,883 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

FREETV wrote: »
    Let's hope that Irish Water and water charges will indeed be the eventual downfall and collapse of the Coalition Government.

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/government-downfall-irish-water-1730831-Oct2014/

Has this thread become a dumping place for opinion pieces by holier than thou "journalists"?

• Advertisement

Makes it easier for IW to send it back to you!
    Burn them then instead. :D

EazyD wrote: »
    Meter installation beginning in my area. Havnt even finished one row and the place is in a mess already.
    Are they talking on Facebook about it yet or do they know the area in question so that people can meet and stop them installing any more meters in the area?

Are they talking on Facebook about it yet or do they know the area in question so that people can meet and stop them installing anymore meters in the area?

I haven't seen any announcements to be honest. Just the templates where they will dig and a fair bit of debris strewn about the pavement and front garden, the orange barriers appeared yesterday afaik.

I haven't seen any announcements to be honest. Just the templates where they will dig and a fair bit of debris strewn about the pavement and front garden, the orange barriers appeared yesterday afaik.

Unless the hordes of thugs arrive it will only be a short time of disruption. Digging up footpaths tends to create debris. But from experience here locally everything will be restored to normality.

Unless the hordes of thugs arrive it will only be a short time of disruption. Digging up footpaths tends to create debris. But from experience here locally everything will be restored to normality.

Wasn't the case in my girlfriends area so I won't hold my breath. Debris isnt an issue if it is removed as work is concluded. And referring to the opposition as "thugs" isn't very fair is it?

• Advertisement

Wasn't the case in my girlfriends area so I won't hold my breath. Debris isnt an issue if it is removed as work is concluded. And referring to the opposition as "thugs" isn't very fair is it?

It is when that's how they act.

People who indulge in thuggish behaviour then.

People who indulge in thuggish behaviour then.

Yes, which you insinuated was the bulk of opposition. That is simply wrong and downright offensive to those who peacefully oppose this.

The Coalition Government are pushing us to the limit and squeezing our money.
    Now it is time to push the austerity water tax pushers back and over the cliff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObZKEhy15J0 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If you don't see the difference between posting all that information on a public forum and providing a pps number to a semi state body specifically authorised to use it then I don't really see why anyone would expect to have any kind of reasonable conversation with you.

My point is that you don't know where that infromation is going to go in the hands of Irish Water, who have stated clearly that they will use it as a saleable asset and have left the way clear for them to hand it off to anybody they wish.

It's a very easy point to understand. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 hiFidelity

It would be interesting to know how many government ministers own shares in Bord Gais,

in fact are there any posters here that own/bought shares in Bord Gais?

For anyone who may not know, Irish Water was established as a separate subsidiary within the Bord Gáis Group.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

hiFidelity wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know how many government ministers own shares in Bord Gais,

in fact are there any posters here that own/bought shares in Bord Gais?

For anyone who may not know, Irish Water was established as a separate subsidiary within the Bord Gáis Group.

Bord Gais is state owned.

Tony EH wrote: »
    My point is that you don't know where that infromation is going to go in the hands of Irish Water, who have stated clearly that they will use it as a saleable asset and have left the way clear for them to hand it off to anybody they wish.

It's a very easy point to understand. ;)

In fact they have stated the complete opposite.

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-water-prime-time-1687029-Sep2014/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Analysis of the reported areas of employment by those leaving negative comments on Journal.ie articles about Irish Water. [Lesnar 2014]

465 total respondents analysed.

430 with jobs reported on their facebook profiles.

Breakdown

207 total with identifying as employed.

223 unemployed or not reported.

Out of those in current employment.

53 described themselves as 'Full time mad bastard' (1 who described himself as full time mad knacker bastard included in this group, overlap of duties assumed.

42 described as 'Full time princess'

30 Full time mammy's (Full time Mammy to a little princess also reported as part of this subset.

25 in recognised trades (plumber, electrician etc)

15 CEO's of various companies including inter alia Death Row records, My life, breakers yard, none of your business.

5 working for the HSE

1 each for doctor, nurse, lawyer, soldier and various other common jobs you would expect.

I will release all data here with further demographic breakdowns when I get the study published.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Analysis of the reported areas of employment by those leaving negative comments on Journal.ie articles about Irish Water. [Lesnar 2014]

465 total respondents analysed.

430 with jobs reported on their facebook profiles.

Breakdown

207 total with identifying as employed.

223 unemployed or not reported.

Out of those in current employment.

53 described themselves as 'Full time mad bastard' (1 who described himself as full time mad knacker bastard included in this group, overlap of duties assumed.

42 described as 'Full time princess'

30 Full time mammy's (Full time Mammy to a little princess also reported as part of this subset.

25 in recognised trades (plumber, electrician etc)

15 CEO's of various companies including inter alia Death Row records, My life, breakers yard, none of your business.

5 working for the HSE

1 each for doctor, nurse, lawyer, soldier and various other common jobs you would expect.

I will release all data here with further demographic breakdowns when I get the study published.

And the point of all this research?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

zerks wrote: »
    And the point of all this research?

I think they were trying (badly) to be funny.

Will the workers march in London bring down Cameron's government? Obviously not but at least over there the unions are trying to do something about wages. Unlike here where they have diverted themselves into a futile attempt to change the law on water charges and aligned themselves with very undesirable undemocratic elements. Abandoning the workers they are supposed to represent to massive pay cuts.

Workers in GB don't expect to live in houses without paying property tax and use water without paying for it. But while their pay was being slashed they at least knew that unlike here they didn't have to bear the cost of water and property tax for non-workers as well.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/18/tens-thousands-uk-streets-pay-protest-march-union

The TUC said workers were facing a significant squeeze on incomes, with average wages down by £50 a week in real terms since 2007 and 5 million people earning less than the minimum wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Anti-water charge protests take place around the country via TheJournal.ie http://jrnl.ie/1732239

Those bastards, protesting about something that they don't agree with.

I think the writing is on the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Anti-water charge protests take place around the country via TheJournal.ie http://jrnl.ie/1732239

Those bastards, protesting about something that they don't agree with.

"Paddy" has had enough of your crap, Enda !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

At this stage, you have stated it so many times that I think you probably really do think the writing is on the wall. No one else can see the imaginary writing though.
    Even when you are paying you water charge next year you will still be telling yourself it wont last.

We need a lot more people to go out and protest.
    Don't just sit at home and expect everybody else to do it!
    March outside Dail Eireann when the Blueshirts are in session.

Those Halloween masks may come in handy on November 1 for the anti-water charge protests marches so don't bin them. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

No thanks. I have a job.

People arent expecting everybody else to do it. They wish to support the water charges, and so dont go out protesting.

• Advertisement

Apparently they'll disconnect me when I don't pay.

For someone getting worked up about the water charge, you are either very ignorant of its details and so shouldn't be commenting, or, deliberately lying in order to mislead others. Which ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement