Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭vafankillar

L1011 wrote: »
    will likely be restricted to places with substantial dance floors.

ah jaysus don't start with that

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ah jaysus don't start with that

Its going to be explicitly a nightclub licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It's long gone. Last I heard it was going to be redeveloped into apartments/office space. It was an unusual location, but that whole area was a popular nightlife spot many years ago - Howl at the Moon, Scruffy's etc.

There was a radio documentary about the successful lotto syndicate who operated from scruffys on RTÉ a few years ago - entertaining if you get a chance to hear it

Yeah strange location alright, in off the Street, you’d pass it oblivious to the fact it exists unless someone told you about it.

I miss it, drank there before and after a number of matches

Oil cans was decent too. Havnt been in it years but I always liked it,

Had to meet a guy there one day to sign a contract for work.

He was delayed so ended up sitting at bar reading paper and Chatted away to the landlady - very nice lady - before and after the lunchtime rush - they did some business in food from what I saw

Another night was there for an office party - place was jammed and good aul craic. Decent boozer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I dunno what happened with Scruffys that it just died a death. Like I said it went from having a regular heaving crowd a few days a week to being dead. It was always a relatively quiet place on weekends though, matches aside.

I reckon crowd that came with the late 90s boom moved on with their lives, marriage, kids etc and there wasn't a new shift to take their place.

i'm only joking cos I don't want to hear the word substantial as a common pub related phrase ever again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Does a nightclub need to have a dance floor?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Marcusm wrote: »
    Does a nightclub need to have a dance floor?

Well, the definition doesn't even exist in law yet (for this purpose anyway) but indications are that it'll be a roll-up of the liquor and dance licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Hurrache wrote: »
    I dunno what happened with Scruffys that it just died a death. Like I said it went from having a regular heaving crowd a few days a week to being dead. It was always a relatively quiet place on weekends though, matches aside.

I reckon crowd that came with the late 90s boom moved on with their lives, marriage, kids etc and there wasn't a new shift to take their place.

Is that what happened to that whole Mount Street scene?

I started college in Dublin in 2000 and remember some great nights in ‘Scruffy’s’ and then on to ‘Howl at the Moon’. We were students but I always felt the crowd was a bit older than us, mostly young office workers.

There was a great buzz about Mount Street back then, but it seemed to have totally died a death by the time I graduated in 2005. Always wondered why it went very quiet so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Hamachi wrote: »
    Is that what happened to that whole Mount Street scene?

I started college in Dublin in 2000 and remember some great nights in ‘Scruffy’s’ and then on to ‘Howl at the Moon’. We were students but I always felt the crowd was a bit older than us, mostly young office workers.

There was a great buzz about Mount Street back then, but it seemed to have totally died a death by the time I graduated in 2005. Always wondered why it went very quiet so quickly.

It was still going 'til about 2009.

But yeah, I remember struggling to get cabs on Mount St in 2006. Hard to believe that now.

But yeah, I remember struggling to get cabs on Mount St in 2006. Hard to believe that now.

I remember that, desperately trying to flag down cabs there at the end of the night. As you say, hard to believe these days.

Was it still busy up to 2009? I remember it being significantly quieter in 2005 vs. a few years earlier, but that could be my imagination.

I’m not sure Dublin will ever regain that party vibe it had from the mid-90s to before the crash. It was a very optimistic time. I don’t think students and young professionals these days live for the party as much as those who went before them. Could well be wrong though...

• Advertisement

Things moved down towards Camden/Wexford Street.

Places like the civil service, ESB, BoI hired to beat the band in the late 90's/early 00's, and would have had loads of well-paid workers going for pints after work on a Thursday and Friday down around Merrion Square. I suppose people get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I would have it dying down much earlier than 2009, but then again, probably because I had moved on too. I'd have probably be more suited to Danse Macabre than Howl at the Moon by that stage, that was always a weird set up.

But yeah, Mount Street was mental to get home from, you'd walk down the canal or out of the city to try get a taxi on their way in. But then again this was before deregulation and the bastards would be fussy about who they pick up, and you'd be questioned as to where you're going before they decide if they'll bother taking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I’m not sure Dublin will ever regain that party vibe it had from the mid-90s to before the crash. It was a very optimistic time.

Early 00s were mad. Any half-decent pub within the canals was jammed Thurs-Sun. Getting a seat was a luxury. Demographic bulge at the time and a lot of single 20/30 somethings had plenty of money in their pockets. Then they all got coupled up and enslaved themselves to mortgages :pac: we will not see times like those again. Although I predict a pretty mental 12 months once most adults are vaccinated and everywhere opens up again :)

Life ain't always empty.

Although I predict a pretty mental 12 months once most adults are vaccinated and everywhere opens up again :)

That’s a safe prediction:). I’d kill for a session at this stage just to blow off a bit of steam!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I’m not sure Dublin will ever regain that party vibe it had from the mid-90s to before the crash. It was a very optimistic time. I don’t think students and young professionals these days live for the party as much as those who went before them. Could well be wrong though...

Half of the population of Dublin was under 25 years of age in the mid 90s to early 00s. Unique time

The Nal wrote: »
    Half of the population of Dublin was under 25 years of age in the mid 90s to early 00s. Unique time

Have the demographics changed that much today though? If I were to guess, I’d say ~40% of Dublin’s population is under 25. It’s still a very youthful city by European standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I remember that, desperately trying to flag down cabs there at the end of the night. As you say, hard to believe these days.

Was it still busy up to 2009? I remember it being significantly quieter in 2005 vs. a few years earlier, but that could be my imagination.

It's funny you say that. I had found that from around 2016 onwards that we had some what returned to that vibe.

It will return. There's such pent up demand. I just want my local reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I see that Devitts is now reopened for takeaways. Over a year since I've been to the (C) Box and I hope it gets to reopen when restrictions are eased....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Have the demographics changed that much today though? If I were to guess, I’d say ~40% of Dublin’s population is under 25. It’s still a very youthful city by European standards.

Average age in Ireland today is 37 which is what I am. Early 20s was a mental lively time alright. A huge amount effed off to Australia then after the crash and most of the rest coupled up and started having kids.

The generation in their early 20s now don't have the pub culture in them, those days are gone I fear.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Average age in Ireland today is 37 which is what I am. Early 20s was a mental lively time alright. A huge amount effed off to Australia then after the crash and most of the rest coupled up and started having kids.

The generation in their early 20s now don't have the pub culture in them, those days are gone I fear.

I had no idea the population had aged that much in just 15/20 years. Probably explains why things have become a bit more sedate.

You’re right on the generational thing. My brother and I are over 35. Post-Covid, we’re both dying to hit the pub for a barrel of Guinness. My youngest sister who is 22, can’t wait for the gym to re-open. She’s frightened of losing her ‘abs’. :-).

• Advertisement

Average age is a useless stat tbh, median age is the useful one i.e. the age where half the population is below it and half above

Much more than half the population will be below the average age

Also under-18s aren't supposed to be in pubs :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Average age is a useless stat tbh, median age is the useful one i.e. the age where half the population is below it and half above

Just had a look there the median age in 2020 was 38.2, the average age 37.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Surely average is fine for the likes of age because (unlike wealth say) you don't have anyone living to be a billion years old. It's very hard to skew the data too much I would have thought.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Can we get back on topic now please.

very little of current topic to engage with in fairness

They are all possibly "no more" until they reopen.. Schrodinger's Pub!

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

They are all possibly "no more" until they reopen.. Schrodinger's Pub!

They are both open and closed at the same time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

mick121 wrote: »
    They are both open and closed at the same time

Until you walk in, you can't tell if they're open or closed :)

spacetweek wrote: »
    Until you walk in, you can't tell if they're open or closed :)

The Welcome Inn on Parnell Street was always quantum in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Lanigans Pub Eden Quay, announced it was closing in Facebook.

A lovely pub with lovely staff, hopefully it reopens.

Advertisement