Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Its years since i used to pop in, i remember the nice elderly barman there and the younger guy i assume was his son. Never said much but there was just a good old fashioned vibe to it i really appreciated.

Ernest was the dad. Ciaran was the son.

One of those pioneer bar families.

Saw Ciaran pop up the stairs there last week.

Jaysus, the stout there was insanely good. Always one of the haunts I insisted I brought touristing mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Ernest was the dad. Ciaran was the son.

One of those pioneer bar families.

Saw Ciaran pop up the stairs there last week.

Jaysus, the stout there was insanely good. Always one of the haunts I insisted I brought touristing mates.

Funny story about Ciaran. Myself and two friends of mine were in there about 10 years ago one Saturday afternoon. It was just the three of us and Ciaran.

After a while we started noticing how quite it was. Eventually Ciaran noticed. He went out to the front door and it transpired that after we entered he'd for some reason pulled the shutter of the door down.

Good job he checked of he would have had a very quite afternoon

ShyMets wrote: »
    Funny story about Ciaran. Myself and two friends of mine were in there about 10 years ago one Saturday afternoon. It was just the three of us and Ciaran.

After a while we started noticing how quite it was. Eventually Ciaran noticed. He went out to the front door and it transpired that after we entered he'd for some reason pulled the shutter of the door down.

Good job he checked of he would have had a very quite afternoon

That's on brand for him. :D

The amount of times I've been locked in there during cleanup was gas. And watching the annoyance of others getting kicked out...

---

I remember a good few years back, probably around 2011, and myself and the missus were.innthere of a Saturday evening. He had a fire on and his massive old sideboard record player was out playing music.

Gorgeous atmosphere leading up to Christmas. One of my favourite times of the year in Dublin.

Anyway, a load of Christmas jumpers came in and he whipped around from the bar and asked them to leave, they pipe up about the money they'd put over the bar and he explained that it wasn't fair on the regulars for them to be coming in and ruining the atmosphere.

That's why it was a gem of a bar and my favourite haunt in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I used to love Kennedys, very central for that type of bar too.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭vafankillar

have gotten into a habit of going on strolls on google street view when i'm bored looking around parts of dublin city i might not have payed much attention to, just off capel street saw a place called the "city of dublin workmans club"

never heard about that place before at all. saw an article or two saying it only opened wed, sat, sun, and they'd often geting confused young lads who were looking for the workmans across the quays lol. seems to be permenantly closed now.

• Advertisement

have gotten into a habit of going on strolls on google street view when i'm bored looking around parts of dublin city i might not have payed much attention to, just off capel street saw a place called the "city of dublin workmans club"

never heard about that place before at all. saw an article or two saying it only opened wed, sat, sun, and they'd often geting confused young lads who were looking for the workmans across the quays lol. seems to be permenantly closed now.

The Workman's on the Quays was where it used to be.

They sold up and moved there.

It's been closed in anticipation of PP going in for a hotel on the site, including the plot where Utopia used to be.

https://www.thejournal.ie/hotel-on-capel-street-refused-planning-permission-5342463-Feb2021/

Which has just been refused, thankfully.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Club itself has ceased to be, I suspect the members decided to cash in on the sale value of the site.

As far as I remember they had planning for the current Strand Street site already when specifically approached about moving out of the Wellington Quay one, got a bigger newer building with more facilities out of it.

Revenue's monthly licence updates can, and do - but rarely - "lose" a trading pub mid year; so cannot be taken as golden. But the February update has The Snug on Stephen Street gone.

The full annual reset is October so they had renewed for 21/22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

The Snug,was'nt that supposed to be the cheapest place to buy drink in Dublin?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wetherspoons would have had some stuff cheaper, on offer but as goes a non-Spoons place that's actually a pub (so no members clubs), I never saw cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

tabbey wrote: »
    June or July is probably more realistic.

Hopefully dining in gastro pubs will be possible by Easter.

Dining in gastropubs will be way after the 15 outdoors. June more likely than Easter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭vafankillar

tabbey wrote: »
    Hopefully dining in gastro pubs will be possible by Easter.

Not a hope in hell will we be dining inside before june if even

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Think dining has a slim hope for June. As for non-food pubs that is turning into a question of which year rather than which month.. :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭beertons

PommieBast wrote: »
    Think dining has a slim hope for June. As for non-food pubs that is turning into a question of which year rather than which month.. :(

I have vending machines in pubs, that do food and no food. I can't see myself back to work fully till next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I had in mind, dining under the canopy, not quite inside the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ah here, the Swan isnt gone, is it? One of the last truly great Dublin pubs.

My brother got married across the way in Whitefriars church. Myself and the GF showed up outside a bit before throw in so we nipped across the road to The Swan for a quick one and sat in the window to keep an eye on what sort of business is being done at the door of the church so we can head in once it starts filling up a bit

Then some of my cousins show up outside the church, see us in The Swan and ramble over to us to have a gargle, As does my sister and her husband, rinse, repeat a few times and in due course most of the grooms side of the guestlist have detoured on arrival into The Swan for a jar.

One of the brides friends (not Irish, not a clue) had to be sent over to drag us all into the church to actually attend the wedding. There was war in the camp over it ha ha.

Absolutely no indication its going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

L1011 wrote: »
    The Club itself has ceased to be, I suspect the members decided to cash in on the sale value of the site.

As far as I remember they had planning for the current Strand Street site already when specifically approached about moving out of the Wellington Quay one, got a bigger newer building with more facilities out of it.

Revenue's monthly licence updates can, and do - but rarely - "lose" a trading pub mid year; so cannot be taken as golden. But the February update has The Snug on Stephen Street gone.

The full annual reset is October so they had renewed for 21/22.

So the Snug is gone for good then? Thats a shame, probably the cheapest pub in Dublin. Plenty of rough heads in there but it was mostly older fellas. I used to live upstairs for a while when I went to DIT up the road :D

I remember one time I was having breakfast and 2 lads were discussing a post office robbery one of them was involved in lol

The guy that ran it had a BnB upstairs and his Asian wife pretty much ran the place. She was tough and didn't take any nonsense

Bambi wrote: »

My brother got married across the way in Whitefriars church. Myself and the GF showed up outside a bit before throw in so we nipped across the road to The Swan for a quick one and sat in the window to keep an eye on what sort of business is being done at the door of the church so we can head in once it starts filling up a bit

Then some of my cousins show up outside the church, see us in The Swan and ramble over to us to have a gargle, As does my sister and her husband, rinse, repeat a few times and in due course most of the grooms side of the guestlist have detoured on arrival into The Swan for a jar.

One of the brides friends (not Irish, not a clue) had to be sent over to drag us all into the church to actually attend the wedding. There was war in the camp over it ha ha.

Not a hope of it going. Can't wait to drop in again!

It can only ever be a pub sure!

So the Snug is gone for good then?

It would look likely, but licences have literally gone missing due to admin issues (someone changes an address and it misses the cut-off for a months register); without the pub ever closing.

I'll update in March if it reappears.

L1011 wrote: »
    It would look likely, but licences have literally gone missing due to admin issues (someone changes an address and it misses the cut-off for a months register); without the pub ever closing.

I'll update in March if it reappears.

Cheers! Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it is gone. Pubs like that seem to be on the way out in the city centre, possibly because of the property value in the area.

Reading through the "Roughest Pubs" thread the vast majority are no longer in business it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Bambi wrote: »

My BIL's family have a big family as in 7-8 siblings and 16-17 uncles and aunts...load of cousin. When they have planned weddings they genuinely make sure the church is nowhere near a pub. It is a factor in their planning to avoidn this scenario and also to avoid clashing with the GAA...most the weddings tend to be in December and January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

raheny red wrote: »

My dad worked in construction. Fair view inn did a big renovation ahead of euro 88 (possibly italia 90). Dad was working 7 days a week to get it finished. We were there for the reopening night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Long time since either of them were worth a visit.

Though I'd take them now.

Love both of those pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Just mentioned on RTÉ Radio 1's 'It says in the Papers' at 9am that Quinns is being demolished and replaced by apartments:

Quinns of Drumcondra set for demolition to make way for new development on site (19 Feb. 2021)

On top of the closure and partial demolition of the Big Tree across the road, they are two pubs you'd be mad to go near on big match days, when they were the busiest pubs in the country.

Quinn's was a rotten kip, but I've many fond memories from there.

Do we have an aversion to facade retention here? Would be nice for the street scape to evolve rather than be jarred by another generic apartment building.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Quinn's was a rotten kip, but I've many fond memories from there.

Do we have an aversion to facade retention here? Would be nice for the street scape to evolve rather than be jarred by another generic apartment building.

Yes the building I would have thought would be 100 years old, shame, but i guess thats "progress" :rolleyes:

It's a shame, many good memories from Quinn's and the Big Tree, great for Croke Park days especially. Also as a student in big tree.

Where will be the main haunts now for Croker, Auld Triangle probably still one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 27,905 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I had my first legal drink in Quinns. Some great Thursday nights when the back bar became an extension of DCU for the night.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Just mentioned on RTÉ Radio 1's 'It says in the Papers' at 9am that Quinns is being demolished and replaced by apartments:

Quinns of Drumcondra set for demolition to make way for new development on site (19 Feb. 2021)

On top of the closure and partial demolition of the Big Tree across the road, they are two pubs you'd be mad to go near on big match days, when they were the busiest pubs in the country.

It’s been said for at least a year that quinns was going to be part of that development and was only a matter of time before it was made official. It’s busy on match days but empty the other 350 days of the year

Advertisement