Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's a shame, many good memories from Quinn's and the Big Tree, great for Croke Park days especially. Also as a student in big tree.

Where will be the main haunts now for Croker, Auld Triangle probably still one of them

Red Parrot, which also closed for normal trade, was to open on match days. Like Gills and, in its latter years, the Big Tree

The hotel at the Big Tree will have a bar, but not very big

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭juno10353

L1011 wrote: »
    Red Parrot, which also closed for normal trade, was to open on match days. Like Gills and, in its latter years, the Big Tree

The hotel at the Big Tree will have a bar, but not very big
    Mc Graths just down from Quinns

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

McGraths were always a bit more selective on who they'd let in from experience of the few days I've either been going to matches or having to work at them. And its not huge, they even reduced floor space for the offo (which I'm sure they're very happy to have right now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's a shame, many good memories from Quinn's and the Big Tree, great for Croke Park days especially. Also as a student in big tree.

Where will be the main haunts now for Croker, Auld Triangle probably still one of them

McGrath's for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

McGrath's for me.

I've being going to Dublin games since 1992 and have never been in either Quinn's or McGraths.

Probably because I'd approach Croke Park via Dorset St. In general we use to drop into Birminghams or Kavanaghs, both of which are sadly gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Is the hideout still on the go or gone at this stage?

Was open pre-COVID. No kitchens so won't have been since.

It had been closed for maybe a decade but reopened in ~2017.

Was open pre-COVID. No kitchens so won't have been since.

It had been closed for maybe a decade but reopened in ~2017.

It was definitely open in 2009 when I was a local.

ShyMets wrote: »
    I've being going to Dublin games since 1992 and have never been in either Quinn's or McGraths.

Probably because I'd approach Croke Park via Dorset St. In general we use to drop into Birminghams or Kavanaghs, both of which are sadly gone

I'd generally approach from Summerhill so I would usually stop off in Briody's or the Sackville :(

Home via Cleary's of course.

I'd generally approach from Summerhill so I would usually stop off in Briody's or the Sackville :(

Home via Cleary's of course.

Three fine establishments. Our homeward journey normal consists of Mulligans, Bowes and The Palace Bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Three fine establishments. Our homeward journey normal consists of Mulligans, Bowes and The Palace Bar

5 wise Choice’s, no chance of a Depth Charge in any of those establishments!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The Hideout and obviously Gills at that end. Drumcondra pubs too.

The Hogan Stand is another matchday gem.

The Snug's licence has reappeared on the register this month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

The Snug's licence has reappeared on the register this month.

:pac:

The cheapest pint in Dublin remains :P

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭vafankillar

did scruffy murphys close before or during the pandemic?

did scruffy murphys close before or during the pandemic?

Before. A few years a go if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Was a good spot before Ireland matches. Especially outside on a sunny day

Was a good spot before Ireland matches. Especially outside on a sunny day

Was a great spot on a sunny day. But always thought it was in an odd location. Not much in the way of passing trade

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Was a great spot on a sunny day. But always thought it was in an odd location. Not much in the way of passing trade

That was the beauty of it! Used to work nearby, was great for drinking outside on a sunny day

• Advertisement

Before. A few years a go if I remember correctly

It's long gone. Last I heard it was going to be redeveloped into apartments/office space. It was an unusual location, but that whole area was a popular nightlife spot many years ago - Howl at the Moon, Scruffy's etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Let's not forget Oil Can Harry's :D I used to work very close by and Scruffy's was a great spot. For some reason I only ever remember being upstairs in it, maybe it was a quieter spot for the locals downstairs. I'm talking about late 90s here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Scruffy's had some amount of custom on Thursdays and Fridays, if not earlier, from the sheer amount of businesses in the area with a young crowd. You couldn't get into the place on a Friday evening, it was great.

Oil Can Harry's was better suited for lunch.

Oil Can's was an awful spot. Never liked it at all. So atmosphere-less.

Scruffy's was the business.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Scruffy's was the main spot alright but we had a few good nights in Oil Cans. There was usually a big gang of us from work (almost next door) so we created our own atmosphere. Again, I'm talking about 1998-2000, I don't know much about it after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The one time I went to Oil Can Harrys was back in 2014 or 2015 as an afterparty for an already heavy office party. At the time just the name itself sounded very down-market but remember it as a great night.

Had a series of slightly silly names for decades now. The Other Place -> Peppers -> Oil Can Harrys

Peppers referred to the Pepper Canister church nearby and was decided by an Evening Herald write-in competition. And that's one of the most pointless bits of pub trivia I know, and its not even relevant anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭vafankillar

wonder would these later extended drinking hours thing thats coming in be good for some famous dublin pubs, personally i'd love to be able to sit & have a quiet pint & chat in a pub later than 12.30 rather than having to **** off somewhere with loud music which too often seems to be the case times when i've been in town late-ish

Its quite likely that many of the more traditional pubs don't care about opening beyond 12:30; some will have just avoided it due to the cost of course. Not many of the equivalent pubs in the UK have gone that late.

Later than 02:30 (or maybe a little earlier, 02:00 or so) hours will likely be restricted to places with substantial dance floors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭PommieBast

wonder would these later extended drinking hours thing thats coming in be good for some famous dublin pubs, personally i'd love to be able to sit & have a quiet pint & chat in a pub later than 12.30 rather than having to **** off somewhere with loud music which too often seems to be the case times when i've been in town late-ish
    It is a tokenistic gesture given how widely the 00:30 time is flouted away from the beaten track.

Advertisement