Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A little surprised its not going for a different type of redevelopment. But the majority of pubs that have closed will probably reopen with a new operator, just maybe not that quickly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

All four licences held by Trillium Leisure of Berlin D2 notoriety have been refused renewal by the District Court. Anyone know what the others are?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Special Restaurant, Publicans Theatre, Singing, Dancing I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

BeerNut wrote: »
    All four licences held by Trillium Leisure of Berlin D2 notoriety have been refused renewal by the District Court. Anyone know what the others are?

Berlin was one of Jay Burke's.
    He lost his Licence's so I think leases out, Odessa, the Front Door and think he still has Panti bar(GUBU).

septictank wrote: »
    Berlin was one of Jay Burke's.
    He lost his Licence's so I think leases out, Odessa, the Front Door and think he still has Panti bar(GUBU).

This is the four licences held on Berlin that were refused; but anyway - Odessa closed years ago for a 'refit' and Berlin *is* the Front Door. Bourke was disqualified as a director.

He owns 51% of a company that owns 50% of Pantibar; the other 49% of that firm are other Bourkes so I assume family. The other 50 of the Pantibar holding company is Rory O'Neill/Panti.

That intermediate company also owns 33% of Penny Lane

edit - its possible that due to different annual return dates causing outdated info on Vision-Net, that the shares in that firm are now in his Dad's name actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Great that that these chancers got closed down by the Gardaí.

Hopefully it taught them a lesson.

About time these folk learned that you can’t fuhherke about with the laws.

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Dunno, strikes me as harsh. Every boozer I know had the regulars in for the usual 12 hour shift every day around that time as well... suppose they were cute enough not to look like flutes doing it.

Court of public opinion gone against them there, not that it would be a place I would be frequenting anyway.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Dunno, strikes me as harsh. Every boozer I know had the regulars in for the usual 12 hour shift every day around that time as well... suppose they were cute enough not to look like flutes doing it.

Court of public opinion gone against them there, not that it would be a place I would be frequenting anyway.

Went over the top and gave the ,or tried to give, the fingers to the State.

Delighted they got a good shoeing in the courts, and hope they get shut down while those who complied with the law get the benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭its_steve116

The Sheaf of Wheat in Coolock, replaced by the Cock & Bull

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The Sheaf of Wheat in Coolock, replaced by the Cock & Bull

Or the Whiff of Sh1t as it was known locally way back when I dallied in that neck of the woods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Great that that these chancers got closed down by the Gardaí.

Hopefully it taught them a lesson.

About time these folk learned that you can’t fuhherke about with the laws.

Well done

For violating an absolutely ludicrous rule about having to order food and keeping to time limits, one that existed pretty much nowhere else in Europe?

For violating an absolutely ludicrous rule about having to order food and keeping to time limits, one that existed pretty much nowhere else in Europe?

Pat doesn’t live in ‘Europe’, dude, from a dhrink perspective.

Pat wants to gull down the full bucket while the European sips and enjoys.

I mean how stupid is it to expect people to actually ‘eat’ and enjoy your beverage in a tasteful respectful way.

Fuhherke sake … belly up to the bar , fuhherke the food, gannet down the the full bucket ….and the rest and start the sing song before being oxtered out at 0330 and swamp the cot?

Great way to live dude, tell us about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I don't know if it counts as famous, or even a Dublin pub, but Jam Park in Swords has closed down.

I also read in another thread that Everleigh Gardens is no more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I mean how stupid is it to expect people to actually ‘eat’ and enjoy your beverage in a tasteful respectful way.

Fuhherke sake … belly up to the bar , fuhherke the food, gannet down the the full bucket ….and the rest and start the sing song before being oxtered out at 0330 and swamp the cot?

Translation needed!

spacetweek wrote: »
    Translation needed!

FFS. Why would you encourage him?

spacetweek wrote: »
    Translation needed!

Basically that the Irish have a different attitude to alcoholic beverage than the rest of Continental Europe.

It’s amazing how allegedly intelligent people try to deny what in there right in front of them.

An area of our city was left like a dump and they try to blame everyone except themselves.

“Only a small proportion” is the usual mantra.

Only a small proportion don’t injure Gardai and leave an area of our city like a dump.

Time to face up to what’s happening here peeps.

This word salad looks like it was typed when you were drunk yourself.

And yes, it is a great way to live. I pity people who don't enjoy pubs.

It’s amazing how allegedly intelligent people try to deny what in there right in front of them.

An area of our city was left like a dump and they try to blame everyone except themselves.

For how long was it left a dump?

From 6pm, when the streets were black with people anyway, to what, 11am when the cleaning crews got to it the next day?

Cans strewn all over the roads from when residents were going to bed until not long after they got up. The absolute horror of it :pac:

This word salad looks like it was typed when you were drunk yourself.

And yes, it is a great way to live. I pity people who don't enjoy pubs.

Good lad, try to attack the poster when you are a beaten docket.

Luckily, like most civilized folk I enjoy pubs, but however, what I don’t enjoy is potbellied jerks bellied up to the bar gulling buckets from 1400 and thinking they are great ‘ characters’ when in fact they are tiresome idiots, boring the hole off anyone near them.

Hopefully you are not one of those ‘characters’ pal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

For how long was it left a dump?

From 6pm, when the streets were black with people anyway, to what, 11am when the cleaning crews got to it the next day?

Cans strewn all over the roads from when residents were going to bed until not long after they got up. The absolute horror of it :pac:

Two weeks ago some of the hairdressers were complaining about **** left on their doorsteps. Maybe the portaloos will have resolved this, maybe not. Either way it's fairly disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Luckily, like most civilized folk I enjoy pubs, but however, what I don’t enjoy is potbellied jerks bellied up to the bar gulling buckets from 1400 and thinking they are great ‘ characters’ when in fact they are tiresome idiots, boring the hole off anyone near them.

Publicans love these assholes. It’s the bar staff that I feel sorry for. Tiresome is an understatement. Big, thick, ignorant fat headed fcuks for the most part. When I worked in bars, I remember one fella passed out drunk, flat on his face through a door way. Absolute dog. Punters just stepped over him. Of course, the staff were left dealing with the mess.

Publicans love these assholes. It’s the bar staff that I feel sorry for. Tiresome is an understatement. Big, thick, ignorant fat headed fcuks for the most part. When I worked in bars, I remember one fella passed out drunk, flat on his face through a door way. Absolute dog. Punters just stepped over him. Of course, the staff were left dealing with the mess.

Course they do MG, gannetting down dhrink at €6.50 a wallop.

Stoned and slobbering by 2100 and thinking g they are great crack with the trousers well soaked in leaked piss and ‘forget-me-nots’.

These idiots love ‘setting up camp’ and shushing everyone up to listen to ‘Arthur McBride’ for the nineteenth time.

Nah mate some crisp bottles of a good beer and some well cooked and tasty food for this poster.

Not buckets of cheap porther and a ‘soilage’ charge after the taxi home.

Nah mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Course they do MG, gannetting down dhrink at €6.50 a wallop.

Stoned and slobbering by 2100 and thinking g they are great crack with the trousers well soaked in leaked piss and ‘forget-me-nots’.

These idiots love ‘setting up camp’ and shushing everyone up to listen to ‘Arthur McBride’ for the nineteenth time.

Nah mate some crisp bottles of a good beer and some well cooked and tasty food for this poster.

Not buckets of cheap porther and a ‘soilage’ charge after the taxi home.

Nah mate.

Ok boomer.

The irony is potbelly thick on this one.

It’s the truth lads, deal with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It’s the truth lads, deal with it!

That's us told.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The saga of The Plough pub on Abbey Street ... building in a bad way.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-council-property-5459586-Jun2021/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Almost as bad are those tight, clannish little gaggles of middle aged men on barstools, worse if they're Dubs, last year I made the mistake of wandering into Bowes in town under the impression of just minding my own business, having a quick pint of Guinness then moving on, only space to order my pint was near them and of course I got the old 'We all know each other but you don't know us' vibe off them.

Heard them saying I was 'a poof' among themselves, this is coming from people whose main interest in life is hanging around in little all male cliques. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

dd973 wrote: »
    Almost as bad are those tight, clannish little gaggles of middle aged men on barstools, worse if they're Dubs, last year I made the mistake of wandering into Bowes in town under the impression of just minding my own business, having a quick pint of Guinness then moving on, only space to order my pint was near them and of course I got the old 'We all know each other but you don't know us' vibe off them.

Heard them saying I was 'a poof' among themselves, this is coming from people whose main interest in life is hanging around in little all male cliques. :pac:

Must have been very early last year, pre pandemic.
    This year you may have to share an outdoor table with them, subject to social distancing of course.

We may become happy with the idea of a traditional pub, regardless of the fellow clientele.

Advertisement