Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

At the risk of boring everyone by venturing back on topic, just noticed Alfie Byrne's in the Conrad appears to be gone.

Wasn't the world's greatest pub, and probably the worst of the Galway Bay franchise, but was a great suntrap. Seems to have been replaced by something called The Terrace Kitchen and Social House, which just sounds hideous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,047 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

MOH wrote: »
    At the risk of boring everyone by venturing back on topic, just noticed Alfie Byrne's in the Conrad appears to be gone.

Wasn't the world's greatest pub, and probably the worst of the Galway Bay franchise, but was a great suntrap. Seems to have been replaced by something called The Terrace Kitchen and Social House, which just sounds hideous.

I was there on saturday as it was the only place with availability at late notice.
    Expensive and the food was bang average, just an extension of the Hotel above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

retalivity wrote: »
    I was there on saturday as it was the only place with availability at late notice.
    Expensive and the food was bang average, just an extension of the Hotel above it.

So similar to what was there? :P

---

Last time I was in HarryAlfie Byrne's was to watch an Ireland Georgia horror show on a Sunday where Hartigans hadn't opened yet.

It was brutal. Only good thing we're the beers, but sure, GBB have better joints.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,117 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

---
    Last time I was in Harry Byrne's was to watch an Ireland Georgia horror show on a Sunday where Hartigans hadn't opened yet.

It was brutal. Only good thing we're the beers, but sure, GBB have better joints.

Alfies

(Always thought it was a strange name choice for the Conrad)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,047 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

---

Last time I was in Harry Byrne's was to watch an Ireland Georgia horror show on a Sunday where Hartigans hadn't opened yet.

I never found Alfies that bad, had a few work nights in it and found it extremely acceptable. The new place though, too high-brow for me. Its like an even more upmarket House

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Alfies

(Always thought it was a strange name choice for the Conrad)

Aye.

I'd be doing well to go to Harry Byrne's to watch a soccer match after not being able to go into Hartigans.

:D

Last time I was in Harry Byrne's was for that godawful spectacle of Scotland v Ireland at Celtic Park in November 2014.

What's the moral of this story? Don't go to a Byrnes' gaff for an Ireland match!

I never found Alfies that bad, had a few work nights in it and found it extremely acceptable. The new place though, too high-brow for me. Its like an even more upmarket House

* shudders *

• Registered Users Posts: 28,117 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Aye.

I'd be doing well to go to Harry Byrne's to watch a soccer match after not being able to go into Hartigans.
    Last time I was in Harry Byrne's was for that godawful spectacle of Scotland v Ireland at Celtic Park in November 2014.
    What's the moral of this story? Don't go to a Byrnes' gaff for an Ireland match!

I was there for 1-5 v Denmark.
    At least my misery had company there!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I was there for 1-5 v Denmark.
    At least my misery had company there!

I was at that match. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

MOH wrote: »

I actually liked it and thought the food was reasonably decent. Location didn't help if you were in the city centre but good if you were around that part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Hurrache wrote: »
    I actually liked it and thought the food was reasonably decent. Location didn't help if you were in the city centre but good if you were around that part.

The pub itself wasn't too bad when it opened, and the food was decent alright.

The big problem over last few years was the quick turnover of increasingly useless staff - the service was atrocious by the end. Became a running joke among us how long you might be stuck at the bar. In the end we just gave up on it for after-work pints. Didn't help that the prices went through the roof at the same time as the service went downhill.

All that said, still sounds better than what's there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,036 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Spoons opening will shake up that part of the city's pub trade.

Life ain't always empty.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Can someone tell me when the Blue Haven closed? Passed it earlier with my dad, he was telling me about it back in the day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only closed for Lockdown, reopening July 5th.

L1011 wrote: »
    Only closed for Lockdown, reopening July 5th.

Is it for sale long?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm not aware it was for sale at all. This is the Blue Haven in Rathfarnham and not somewhere else that I've never heard of right?

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm not aware it was for sale at all. This is the Blue Haven in Rathfarnham and not somewhere else that I've never heard of right?

Is it the one at the cross roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

beertons wrote: »
    Can someone tell me when the Blue Haven closed? Passed it earlier with my dad, he was telling me about it back in the day.

I believe the owner, Tom O’Malley, passed away recently, RIP, but not sure if family will run it or anything.

beertons wrote: »
    Is it the one at the cross roads?

Yes.

I've never seen it for sale (I have daft alerts for that) and they have social media posts from quite recently looking for staff for the July reopening.

It appears that the owner passed away in the last few days only; that may have changed things.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I believe the owner, Tom O’Malley, passed away recently, RIP, but not sure if family will run it or anything.

I know his brothers Eamonn and Mick (The O’Malley Group) who own 5 pubs in the city at present, wonder if they’d be interested in making a purchase if Tom’s direct family were not interested/available to run things ? Having said that they have spunked serious dosh (3 million) on buying the Old Stand in Exchequer St so they might not be in a huge rush to make another purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,036 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Old Stand went for 3 mil?!?!? :eek:

A great "have one or two after work before you meet up with your actual friends somewhere else for a serious session" pub if ever there was one.

Also not everyone is keen to be seen to be on the lash through the very large windows ;)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Old Stand went for 3 mil?!?!? :eek:

A great "have one or two after work before you meet up with your actual friends somewhere else for a serious session" pub if ever there was one.

Also not everyone is keen to be seen to be on the lash through the very large windows ;)

Location location.... yeah it’s a kind of stop off post shopping pub really or pre gig drinks too......the only time I was in it....

I’d say they’ve been over the books with a fine tooth comb... if it’s like a morgue Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday if it’s rocking Thursday-Sunday that’s where the profit is... break even rest of the week... the O’Malley’s are in the pub trade decades, don’t think they’ve had one fail yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Mentioned earlier in the thread, the foxhound in kilbarrack was not reopening.

I've now heard it is.

Anyone else heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Bit of work being done on the exterior last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Dice75 wrote: »

New windows that open, changed that awful colour (its actually blue now) and a little bit of cleaning up etc inside. So much potential in that pub. But theyre in danger with the improvements the Orchard and Buglers have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Dice75 wrote: »

An interesting piece of prose on this Blue Haven pub (or it's patrons), can be read on "Dublin pubopedia" website.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

tabbey wrote: »
    An interesting piece of prose on this Blue Haven pub (or it's patrons), can be read on "Dublin pubopedia" website.

Haha

https://www.thedublinpublopedia.com/blog/bluehaven

Darcy McGees, spot on. Maybe the worst pub on planet earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭easygoing39

@ The Nal,having drank in nearly every pub in Dublin myself, I want to thank you for putting up that link.

That site is a good idea, but the writing is dreadful. Real bang of creative writing class off it.

• Advertisement

Just as well there's other people doing the same thing who aren't writing in that style then :pac:

Advertisement