Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Only surprise is more haven't went. Wet pubs have been forced closed in Dublin for 255 days and they aren't allowing them open for Christmas or January minimum now.
    Just a matter of time before the floodgates open. The end of the financial year when accounts need to be signed off might finally force the issue of mass insolvency.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

But think of all that student accommodation that can be built where these pubs are.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

CRSS will have given a fair few pubs a lifeline that may keep them going until reopening. But there's been fallers before that came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,906 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

odyssey06 wrote: »

Another hotel, just what is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Another hotel, just what is needed.

Its already a hotel, just an extension.

However, there's >90 hotels in the pipeline (anywhere from proposed to basically finished) in Dublin and about 3000 rooms scheduled to open between next week and May. Premier Inn have SIX new hotels in the city centre under way alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

In fairness the Globe was only a "cool " boozer if they liked you.

There are 100's of other city centre pubs to go and have a drink in.

I won't be losing too much sleep. The Dame always had a nicer pint anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

L1011 wrote: »
    Its already a hotel, just an extension.

However, there's >90 hotels in the pipeline (anywhere from proposed to basically finished) in Dublin and about 3000 rooms scheduled to open between next week and May. Premier Inn have SIX new hotels in the city centre under way alone.

Seriously ? they're expecting a big recovery in tourism then ?

Seriously ? they're expecting a big recovery in tourism then ?

Depending on rather than expecting is probably more accurate!

Most of the hotel deals would have been signed before March but at least one Premier Inn one is after that. There's been about 20 applications for new hotels, renovations or extensions *since* COVID though.

There's a brand new application for one beside the Stags Head in today for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Passenger wrote: »
    Dice Bar is no more. Link
    Given the owners comments on facebook....I don't really care like I would have tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    In fairness the Globe was only a "cool " boozer if they liked you.

There are 100's of other city centre pubs to go and have a drink in.

I won't be losing too much sleep. The Dame always had a nicer pint anyways.

I used to work nearby, we never went near the Globe but were habitués of the Dame Tavern aka "DTs", mad place!

Once got dragged in off the street into the Central Hotel at lunchtime with a promise of free drink! Market research for Baileys The Whiskey and comparison taste tests with Jameson. The company doing the research on behalf of IDL was clearly instructed to get us all agreeing how smoooooth it was... otherwise totally unremarkable and it flopped in the marketplace.

Life ain't always empty.

Covid is a handy scapegoat when you were having lease or other problems anyway...

Dice Bar guy's comments were scummy but seems he's far from the only one in the trade completely blinded by a sense of entitlement.

Life ain't always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I heard that the Dice Bar, or at least the full interior, is being shipped to Cuba.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

sabat wrote: »
    I heard that the Dice Bar, or at least the full interior, is being shipped to Cuba.

Im surprised to hear that,last time I was in the dice bar the interior looked as if it came from Cuba, as it was thread bare, sagging and worn out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

L1011 wrote: »
    His rants were weeks after the lease had already expired. Which makes it make even less sense.

Ah, I've heard a few things about that fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

sabat wrote: »

No. The owner is going to Cuba, the interior is in storage.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/publican-blames-covid-19-as-dublin-s-dice-bar-to-shut-for-good-1.4418950
    Mr Finnerty confirmed he will not reopen when the Covid-19 restrictions end and will instead look at finding somewhere new to ply his trade although not before he takes an extended visit to Cuba.

“The closure is down to Covid,” he said. “But the lease also ran out out on March 31st, and in a way that lucky I suppose. I could have spent the last few months bleeding cash.”

Mr Finnerty said his plan is “to open something again next year, and right now everything from the Dice Bar, all the fixtures and fittings, are in a shipment container down the country”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Birneybau wrote: »

I heard this months ago. Shipment container?

Shipping container is what they'd normally be called. Standard enough thing to store a pile of junk in - and that's really what the interior was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Covid is a handy scapegoat when you were having lease or other problems anyway...

Ah heyor, nine months without trade and no indication of when you'll be allowed to again is hardly a scapegoat. I'm amazed we're not seeing stacks of independent pubs go to the wall. Or maybe they have and we won't see the extent of the carnage until the country reopens.

His lease expired on March 31. We can't assume the landlord was willing to renew it at all, never mind what the rent level was going to be. Any planning applications in for the site, I wonder...

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

They had another place around the corner, the Mission bar on the north quays. Guessing that is gone as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

retalivity wrote: »
    They had another place around the corner, the Mission bar on the north quays. Guessing that is gone as well.
    Gone since well before Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

BeerNut wrote: »
    Gone since well before Covid.

Didn't realise that, was only in it the once last year (2019) sometime, went past it a few times and thought it was still opened evenings at the weekend (pre-covid)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The Dice Bar...feck it...that was a regular haunt of mine between 2002 and 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Tazz T wrote: »
    I'm amazed we're not seeing stacks of independent pubs go to the wall. Or maybe they have and we won't see the extent of the carnage until the country reopens.
    For the time being the government has landlords and banks on a leash. When they inevitably have to let go of it is when all hell will break loose.

The Dice Bar...feck it...that was a regular haunt of mine between 2002 and 2004.

The past is another country.
    One does not step into the same river twice.
    Etc. ;)

Life ain't always empty.

PommieBast wrote: »
    For the time being the government has landlords and banks on a leash. When they inevitably have to let go of it is when all hell will break loose.

Unless they have plans to knock and redevelop, it's not in the landlord's interest to evict a commercial tenant - who are they going to let it to? That's going to be the case for quite a while even with a rapid and successful vaccine rollout.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Was a great spot the last couple of years for outdoor pints on a sunny day. One of the few spots with uninterrupted sun for long periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The past is another country.
    One does not step into the same river twice.
    Etc. ;)

Well that's true. TBH I don't think I was ever in there sober.

There was another pub directly across the road..."Ryans" that it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

MOH wrote: »
    Was a great spot the last couple of years for outdoor pints on a sunny day. One of the few spots with uninterrupted sun for long periods.

It was a nice spot... if I wasn’t driving and in town for a bit of shopping I’d get the Luas down. I have a friend who had Monday's off as I had too and what started off as 3 pints and a bit of craic after shopping would see us on the phones seeing if there were any gigs on in town, then end up back there later..

That said... going by social media comments by the owner relating to covid , ones I saw on Facebook anyway.. I’d say a lot of people would have been rethinking giving further business to said establishment, actually a load of people on FB said they wouldn’t, grim reading quite frankly... headcase stuff..

Advertisement