Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What pub is there in Ballymun now? There is nothing in Santry area AFAIK. Lot of apartments there nearby too, potential customers.

The Metzo in the hotel as said above, locally called the Fishbowl for reasons I'm unaware of

When a hotel bar is the last one left in an area they often become hostile to locals, e.g the Carlton in Tyrrellstown but that's not the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

...There is nothing in Santry area AFAIK. Lot of apartments there nearby too, potential customers.

The Comet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

L1011 wrote: »
    74 Talbot.

Tried to shed its clientele.

Didn't work - Molloys had just had a high quality refit and didn't want them! So its basically just Mother Kellys with nicer furniture now. I don't know if there's still an inch of piss on the jacks floors.

The unserved area around Donaghmede is the second biggest built up area with no pubs, after the UCD desert - but UCD has student bars that aren't pubs of course. When the last bar in Ballymun was closed for a while it was a bigger area of nothingness.

Would you know what to find some photos of the inside of mother Kelly's? I done a google there but nothing came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,082 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

L1011 wrote: »
    The unserved area around Donaghmede is the second biggest built up area with no pubs, after the UCD desert - but UCD has student bars that aren't pubs of course.

20-ish years ago I was living in a house share off Roebuck Road, pub desert is right. Nothing between Uncle Tom's Cabin and the coke-tastic Merrion Hotel, both ages away on foot. There really should have been a pub at the Clonskeagh Road end of Bird Avenue, but the local holier than thous probably stopped that. :rolleyes: I would rather have cut my own willie off than try to get a drink in a UCD student bor.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Would you know what to find some photos of the inside of mother Kelly's? I done a google there but nothing came up.

Wouldn't have been a place to take photos realistically!
    20-ish years ago I was living in a house share off Roebuck Road, pub desert is right. Nothing between Uncle Tom's Cabin and the coke-tastic Merrion Hotel, both ages away on foot. There really should have been a pub at the Clonskeagh Road end of Bird Avenue, but the local holier than thous probably stopped that. :rolleyes: I would rather have cut my own willie off than try to get a drink in a UCD student bor.

Montrose Hotel I presume? Which is gone anyway.

There was a substantial pub on Harlech Grove from the 60s to the late 90s; but it was demolished for apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The Ruin Bar - used be McTurcaills.
    Not the most amazing or classic but I had a lot of good nights there. Jacks was horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

spacetweek wrote: »
    The Ruin Bar - used be McTurcaills.
    Not the most amazing or classic but I had a lot of good nights there. Jacks was horrific.

i really liked that place, staff were really good , seem well trained.
    Some great nights there and decent drink selection.

they are moving to a new post so isn't closing per se although the old location was dead handy.

my only gripe was it wasn't a late bar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Ruin bar was good, decent Nachos! Ended up there a few times after games at the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The Comet

There's another one with a Santry address.. long name that won't come to me, the _______ inn.

Hosts a lot of trad nights? There was a viral video of a 5-in-a-row Dub GAA song from there last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Unknownability

2ndcoming wrote: »
    There's another one with a Santry address.. long name that won't come to me, the _______ inn.

Hosts a lot of trad nights? There was a viral video of a 5-in-a-row Dub GAA song from there last year.

Kilmardinny?

• Advertisement

The Comet

They spent a fortune putting a kitchen in there a few years ago including a proper pizza oven. They do some of the best pizza I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Mother Kellys was a great spot although the decor wasn't the best. I can see why some wouldn't feel to comfortable in it if they were never there before but i knew them all in there so was never a problem. The new Talbot 74 the interior is pretty nice in comparison. They moved the bar from one side to another and put a lot of money into it. When its busy or for Liverpool matches (big Pool pub) they open the bar upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 manofachill

The Master wrote: »
    Nearest Pubs are now
    Madigan's in Kilbarrack
    Foxhound in Greendale
    Raccecourse in Baldoyle
    Or The various pubs in Raheny

Baldoyle, Bayside, Sutton, Kilbarrack, Donaghmede has always been poorly served with pubs - part of this has been that Howth is the destination for a night out for many of these people though and it has 10 pubs plus an ever growing number of restaurants. I'm not sure if the Bayside Inn is going to reopen along with the shopping centre but I think it still has a licence at least.

That whole clongriffin, balgriffin area has an enormous population and is growing rapidly, surely there is scope for a new bar or pub of some sort

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Kilmardinny?

That's the one

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

The White Horse

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Presume with the Donaghmede Inn gone leaves no pub around for a massive catchment area?

Is the Donaghmeade inn gone gone or just closed until the non food pubs reopen? (I assume they didnt do food)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

neris wrote:
    Is the Donaghmeade inn gone gone or just closed until the non food pubs reopen? (I assume they didnt do food)

Heard it's gone for good

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

retalivity wrote: »
    That is some spot...was in there once when friends not familiar with dublin booked into that hotel. Place was full of local lunatics and confused looking tourists

Its a ****ing awful place, Ballymun is actually a big stretch of nothingness nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

neris wrote:

Yeah it's definitely gone for good, all the staff were informed a few weeks back that it wouldn't be reopening. I think they're looking into developing the whole centre so hopefully there's plans to open up another pub, it's slim pickings around Donaghmede.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

there is work going on on the blacker at northside anyone know what's happening to it

a proper institution of a working class area that place was all through it's different names (The Oak Tavern, Black Sheep, Liz Delaney's)

would have spent a good bit of time up in the nightclub part back in the early 00s myself

• Advertisement

there is work going on on the blacker at northside anyone know what's happening to it

a proper institution of a working class area that place was all through it's different names (The Oak Tavern, Black Sheep, Liz Delaney's)

would have spent a good bit of time up in the nightclub part back in the early 00s myself

Planning last year to convert to a gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

havent been up in northside in a good while but up there yesterday and the place was boarded up and hoardings down the side of it for a builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Dice Bar is no more. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Passenger wrote:
    Dice Bar is no more.

Sad news. Enjoyed popping in for a few early friday evening drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Passenger wrote: »

I passed on the Luas and walking into town a number of times over the last few months and with the signs gone and even the a/c was taken out - it was pretty obvious :( Was only in there a couple of times as it was slightly off my beaten track but I enjoyed those visits.
    I think the harsh reality is that in the new year, unfortunately, there will be a flood of places closing

:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Passenger wrote: »

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/dice-bar-smithfield-coronavirus-kieranfinnerty-22039470

These statements by the owner left a bad taste. Seem like a long time ago now.

His rants were weeks after the lease had already expired. Which makes it make even less sense.

Only surprise is more haven't went. Wet pubs have been forced closed in Dublin for 255 days and they aren't allowing them open for Christmas or January minimum now.

They will be lucky to open Paddy's Day next year. 1 full year since being shut. Vast majority businesses can't survive with being shut that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Only surprise is more haven't went. Wet pubs have been forced closed in Dublin for 255 days and they aren't allowing them open for Christmas or January minimum now.

They will be lucky to open Paddy's Day next year. 1 full year since being shut. Vast majority businesses can't survive with being shut that long.

Its absoloutley disgraceful, the place is completely ****ed , god knows what willl fill the vaccuum, wetherspoons probably.

• Advertisement

kona wrote: »
    Its absoloutley disgraceful, the place is completely ****ed , god knows what willl fill the vaccuum, wetherspoons probably.

I really hope not, surely they are finding it tough too atm being closed and in Britain. I wandered into the Silver Penny few months back and it was dead, with more staff than customers.

Advertisement