Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

superlevy 2015

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

1st time since 2008 we'll have even hit our quota! Huge SL fine that year for my dad, there were about 7 extra cows than now, supplied about 30k less milk, had to put the brakes on big time! If I remember correctly heifers were fairly worthless that spring also due to the SL, rock and a hard place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

I'll be a small bit over myself but it won't be any more financially than what I paid to buy quota the previous number of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

keep going wrote: »
    next collection will fill it,what a bollick of crack,im counting the days to it going

Seems im not tge only one, registering a few calves while watching a cow calving and see agfood have a countdown clock going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Seems im not tge only one, registering a few calves while watching a cow calving and see agfood have a countdown clock going

Was told yesterday that there's an end of quota party in Grangemokler Co Tipp on the 31st of March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Was told yesterday that there's an end of quota party in Grangemokler Co Tipp on the 31st of March.

Conversely....there is an end of quota "funeral" in Brittany!!!

Amazing the difference in culture...!

The Froggies can't handle a change of circumstance...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Dawggone wrote: »

Well,in Dairygold quota was worth 50c./ltr. A line has just been drawn through an asset worth €300k on this farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

They should have a seance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

Cow Porter wrote: »
    Anyone know what their coops are doing re deductions of superlevy? was on last weeks journal that big phil was to come out with statement that payments will be made to the commission in 3 equal parts interest free and that the bills will fall due when final quota position is established later in the year.

so are coops still deducting currently or will they be taking 1/3 in September for the next 3 years??

our coop is deduction half now and the rest over 2 years i think but the above scheme would certainly suit cash flows on farms better. Perhaps coops may be cautious on people leaving that coop or leaving milk all together.

Some news on this

Key decision this week on who will pay for superlevy thee-year payment plan http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/key-decision-this-week-on-who-will-pay-for-superlevy-thee-year-payment-plan/

They should have a seance :)

Lol.

Well,in Dairygold quota was worth 50c./ltr. A line has just been drawn through an asset worth €300k on this farm.

Thanks Brown. I've been banging on about that for years. Quota strengthened the balance sheet of dairy for years giving an unfair advantage...

It was never owned by farmers here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

It depends if you were left this nice golden egg of an asset, i nstarted with 0 litres and bought 60k gallons in the last 7 years. Problem is quotas are gona haunt me for another 3 years lol

kevthegaff wrote: »
    It depends if you were left this nice golden egg of an asset, i nstarted with 0 litres and bought 60k gallons in the last 7 years. Problem is quotas are gona haunt me for another 3 years lol

It was the only appreciating asset where capital and interest cost was claimable against tax.

People who incorporated over the last number of years were able to then put the quota asset into the co and withdraw the value tax free.

Sorry wont make it, unless I go up after I deliver my milk at 5 past twelve

You cant win , some of the people complaining about quotas going probaly complained about them coming in as well

You cant win , some of the people complaining about quotas going probaly complained about them coming in as well

I'm not complaining about quotas going, just pointing out that in all the rejoicing we are discarding an asset and some protection against wildly fluctuating prices.

All my farming life has been a battle to acquire quota with the often changing daft rules, renting quota, renting land I never saw with quota,drawing milk around the country in the dead of night, chancing overproduction and paying superlevy. All the extra production may not benefit the people actually milking the cows as much as all the other stakeholders in the industry. I actually couldent care less whether quotas stay or go.

I'm not complaining about quotas going, just pointing out that in all the rejoicing we are discarding an asset and some protection against wildly fluctuating prices.

All my farming life has been a battle to acquire quota with the often changing daft rules, renting quota, renting land I never saw with quota,drawing milk around the country in the dead of night, chancing overproduction and paying superlevy. All the extra production may not benefit the people actually milking the cows as much as all the other stakeholders in the industry. I actually couldent care less whether quotas stay or go.

+1.
    Did all that shyte too...but then if you had a nice tanker driver it made life much easier :).
    The best year I had in milk was when (due to an outbreak of disease) I was way under quota...milk was delivered by night to my tank.

Your first paragraph has been lost in a wave of euphoria, but so, so, true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

+1.
    Did all that shyte too...but then if you had a nice tanker driver it made life much easier :).
    The best year I had in milk was when (due to an outbreak of disease) I was way under quota...milk was delivered by night to my tank.

Your first paragraph has been lost in a wave of euphoria, but so, so, true.

That's nothing to be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

farmerjj wrote: »

I'd say there's only a small number of occupants in the greenhouse on this one.

I should have said that the greenhouse was full on this one.

farmerjj wrote: »

Discuss.
    Was it immoral?

I developed land between '02 and '05.
    I built a few houses and sold them to sheeple...
    Was that immoral?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Discuss.
    Was it immoral?

I developed land between '02 and '05.
    I built a few houses and sold them to sheeple...
    Was that immoral?

Immoral?? what are you on about what had moral got to do with it?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Cow Porter wrote: »

Hard to know wether it's good or bad news.levy will still have to be paid and this is just stringing it out .wether paid this year or next or whenever it's going to put a lot under financial pressure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Hard to know wether it's good or bad news.levy will still have to be paid and this is just stringing it out .wether paid this year or next or whenever it's going to put a lot under financial pressure

At this stage lads can't do a whole lot about it so at the very least it will give fellas cash flow relief by spreading it out, will be fine ourselves as bought quota 3 years ago to allow us a bit of breathing room now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

it'll help us alot.
    that would cripple cash flow alot if we had to pay it all this yr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

it'll help us alot.
    that would cripple cash flow alot if we had to pay it all this yr

Get where yer comming from lads and totally understand but it'll still have to be paid wether milk price is 40/30 or 20.paying levy say next year if milk hits 20/25 will be more crippling .anyway I can be smug Ive been buying quota for last good few years and will only have roughly 5 days to worry about.arrabawns quota for year to end March was filled last Saturday

Get where yer comming from lads and totally understand but it'll still have to be paid wether milk price is 40/30 or 20.paying levy say next year if milk hits 20/25 will be more crippling .anyway I can be smug Ive been buying quota for last good few years and will only have roughly 5 days to worry about.arrabawns quota for year to end March was filled last Saturday

Bought quota here too just not enough lol

It certainly will help cash flow on farms, alot of outgoings in spring, feed, fert, land rent is a big one here, vet and vaccines,

oveney Introduces Super Levy Installment Scheme
    Minister for Agriculture Food and the Marine, Simon Coveney TD today announced the introduction of a new instalment scheme for dairy farmers, to facilitate staggered payments of the 2015 superlevy bill over the next three years.
    Minister Coveney said ‘I am delighted to announce the introduction of this Scheme today. It will significantly ease the cash flow burden on dairy farmers facing a superlevy bill in 2015. I have secured the agreement of the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform to pay the full amount of the levy in 2015, on the understanding that the monies will be recouped in instalments from applicants in 2015, 2016 and 2017. I am satisfied that this approach will be of significant benefit to all dairy farmers facing a levy in 2015, including those considering expansion.”
    The scheme will ease the cash flow burden on dairy farmers, who would otherwise have to pay the entire bill in 2015. It follows the introduction by the European Commission of legislation to allow for such payments to be spread in three annual instalments, without interest.
    Milk producers who wish to avail of the scheme will be obliged to pay the first one third of the liability to the Department before 1 October 2015. The two remaining instalments must be paid by the same date in 2016 and 2017 respectively.
    Milk producers will apply, through their milk purchaser, to participate in this Scheme. Application forms and terms and conditions are being distributed to milk purchasers, who will deduct the payment due from the milk payments to farmers in the peak milk production months of May-September each year. The deadline for farmer applications is 30th June 2015.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/press/pressreleases/2015/june/title,83401,en.html

Advertisement