Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Zardoz wrote: »
    Yes that looks like one of the modded PLi HD ones .
    I prefer the main PLi-HD skin myself , its the one modded by Datadevil .

Thx a lot.
    The PLi skins seem way more responsive then Kerni.
    Huge improvement in performance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Running Champs Open Atv 4.2 image. Is it advisable to update packages or will this affect the image?

Software manager stating 164 updates available but worried it may cause frequent crashes.

TS media is 7.2 but I had trouble with 7.8 and wonder I the 7.5 update more stable.
    ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

lsjmhar wrote: »
    Running Champs Open Atv 4.2 image. Is it advisable to update packages or will this affect the image?

Software manager stating 164 updates available but worried it may cause frequent crashes.

TS media is 7.2 but I had trouble with 7.8 and wonder I the 7.5 update more stable.
    ?

Its always better to do a fresh install of the latest build but as this getting updates almost daily that's not really an option. What I would do is do a backup of your current image. Then run the updates. If nothing has broke, its all good. If you get stuck in a bootloop you have the backup there to load up.

Saying that I have just been updating my box via the software update menu for the past few weeks and it hasn't caused any problems. The software still has some issues but I don't think they were down to me not doing fresh installs.

Cheers. What about TS media. Is it best to stay at 7.2. Tried 1channel a while ago and got grey screen for film.

Cheers. What about TS media. Is it best to stay at 7.2. Tried 1channel a while ago and got grey screen for film.

Tbh I never use Tsmedia anymore so I wouldn't know. Someone else might be able to help you with that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Tbh I never use Tsmedia anymore so I wouldn't know. Someone else might be able to help you with that one.

I don't blame you, it's crap!:eek:

Is there any alternative?

Is there any alternative?

Depends what you use it for but I both a chromecast a while back and I watch all my American tv/movies via that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Lads stupid question alert! What's the best resolution to set? TV is an LG 42" plasma hd ready, I can set it at anything up to 1080p refresh at 50 hrtz, I can't really notice much difference between 720p and 1080p to be honest , I've just installed fresh pots H4 and trying to get everything spot on to see what it's like, and I noticed lads saying different skins can have better performance, I have always used kerni, is there something else that's better/quicker? Thanks, Nigel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

how.gareth wrote: »
    Lads stupid question alert! What's the best resolution to set? TV is an LG 42" plasma hd ready, I can set it at anything up to 1080p refresh at 50 hrtz, I can't really notice much difference between 720p and 1080p to be honest , I've just installed fresh pots H4 and trying to get everything spot on to see what it's like, and I noticed lads saying different skins can have better performance, I have always used kerni, is there something else that's better/quicker? Thanks, Nigel

Just set to 1080i 50Hz and your tv will display in its highest resolution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Just set to 1080i 50Hz and your tv will display in its highest resolution

Cheers, any advice on the skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Try this version of 1channel ,its the most up to date one.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rgqdxriaivl9v3e/AAD1IpTPihSWJQNhVj9PvK6Ia/Universal%20Plugins/1channel.zip?dl=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 erto

Hi, I bought the Box about 18 months and gave up trying to do anything with it, I put an ould dust cover over it and their it's sat on the shelf pretty much ever since.

So I'm gonna give this another go.

Using Freshpots, how do I scan for Saorview? Google keeps giving back this sorta stuff? 2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Nov-2013.pdf

I've only one sat input, if I fiddle with the settings there to reflect that (set Tuner C to unconfigured) I lose all the channels and have to reflash the image, same in Champs ARP image. Fiddiling it that one with Tuners, lost everything, clicked Factory reset which must be a big nono as then Spark wouldn't even load and I had to use a rescue image!!!

Not off to a good start, nights gone and I'm no where at it.

erto wrote: »
    Hi, I bought the Box about 18 months and gave up trying to do anything with it, I put an ould dust cover over it and their it's sat on the shelf pretty much ever since.

So I'm gonna give this another go.

Using Freshpots, how do I scan for Saorview? Google keeps giving back this sorta stuff? 2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Nov-2013.pdf

I've only one sat input, if I fiddle with the settings there to reflect that (set Tuner C to unconfigured) I lose all the channels and have to reflash the image, same in Champs ARP image. Fiddiling it that one with Tuners, lost everything, clicked Factory reset which must be a big nono as then Spark wouldn't even load and I had to use a rescue image!!!

Not off to a good start, nights gone and I'm no where at it.

For saorview you need to manually scan both muxes of your local mast. Where in the country are you and I'll tell you which frequencies to scan?

Have the settings the same as this but change the frequency to yours.

TWJIRL0.jpg

On the first scan set clear before scan to yes, on the second set clear before scan to no.

As for tuner configuration tuner A should be dvb-t and tuner B should b set to astra 28.2 advanced. Tuner c not configured. Then check that you have the sat cable in lnb1 on the rear of the box.

I use 7.2 and 1channel works perfectly.
    I use TSmedia a lot.
    I had upgraded it and had to downgrade back to 7.2 as the upgrade broke all the links.

I never got a grey screen.
    Are you getting that on all movies?
    I usually download the movies from 1channel onto the hard drive rather than stream them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 thunda

Every image I install seems to be s few channels missing so I run AB for my area but still missing so I do a full system scan and the channels are there but not in order so I run AB and CrossEPG and there gone again what am I doing wrong ?

cork_south wrote: »
    I use 7.2 and 1channel works perfectly.
    I use TSmedia a lot.
    I had upgraded it and had to downgrade back to 7.2 as the upgrade broke all the links.

I never got a grey screen.
    Are you getting that on all movies?
    I usually download the movies from 1channel onto the hard drive rather than stream them.

That's a great idea. I had Champs open ATV 4.2 image before and removed it because it gave me a grey screen using Ts media. I looked to update yesterday and the system would not work. Had to reflash so used open ATV new nightly image. This may hold Ts media 7.8 better.

How do you download to hard drive? Never noticed that option on it.

That's a great idea. I had Champs open ATV 4.2 image before and removed it because it gave me a grey screen using Ts media. I looked to update yesterday and the system would not work. Had to reflash so used open ATV new nightly image. This may hold Ts media 7.8 better.

How do you download to hard drive? Never noticed that option on it.

When the list of links for movies come up, press the Blue button to download the file to your hard drive.
    You can then close TSMedia and the file will download as a .flv file in the background.

Happy days :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Got sorted with some timeshift issues thanks, and finally got the Enigma2 set up I'm happy with, so some advice on how to back up everything would be appreciated
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Got sorted with some timeshift issues thanks, and finally got the Enigma2 set up I'm happy with, so some advice on how to back up everything would be appreciated
    Thanks

Through spark. In the menu somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

Thanks
    As suggested
    Boot back into spark
    go to the upgrade plugin and you will see an option to back up enigma 2

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

I've been fiddling with this on and off for months and generally working well now. I just had a couple of things I'm hoping someone can help on. I'm using Hyperion v4 - sorry I can't recall if its FreshPot, givecredit or Same ol's image. I'm also considering OpenATV.

1. Saorview manual and auto scans are finding nothing but it did work initially. Also Spark picks them up fine. I saw mention of v4 needing a much higher signal to receive. Is this likely my problem or might it be anything else? Would OpenATV have the same issues?

2. I realised I might be able to reduce the number of remote controls with HDMI-CEC (its getting ridiculous) and got my LG tv remote commanding my RPi perfectly. I tried it with the STB, enabled CEC via blue panel and checked some of the settings I reckoned would do the job but it's not quite working. Has anyone gotten this working? Using the TV remote for all of these would be great (although I see it doesn't have a record button...).

The TV sees the STB and putting the TV in standby also puts the STB in standby but no other commands are carrying. The LG uses "Simplink" for CEC where you can select a device and it will look to connect to it. It doesn't seem to complete that but on the RPi if I go to that input, it just works!

3. Last point - my next challenge is getting TV to bedroom and kitchen. I currently have one sly box with RF out to both TVs from the attic (both wouldn't be on at the same time). I was thinking of either getting 2 RPis streaming from the AA+ or should I just get another box for the attic? I don't think they facilitate RF out though? I don't need pvr capabilities in either, just straight foward viewing (anything else is a bonus) Incidentally, I have an antenna in the attic.

Huge thanks to all the contributors on here. I've spent a lot of time on these threads and found them invaluable. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

VIX4SH4 image released for sh4 receivers. I will post a backup when I get a chance.

System OE: OE-Alliance 2.3
    Distro: ViX4SH4
    Firmware version: 1.0.001
    Driver date: 20140815
    Kernel version: 2.6.32.61_stm24_0216
    Gui version: 2014-09-07

Link to image download:

http://www.vix4sh4.com/downloads/

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Through spark. In the menu somewhere.

Back up done thanks

givecredit wrote: »
    VIX4SH4 image released for sh4 receivers. I will post a backup when I get a chance.

Link to image download:

Will give it a spin when I get home. Hopefully it'll be more stable than the openatv beta.

givecredit wrote: »

Link to image download:

Unfortunately that isnt an official Vix release .

Vix's most vocal spokesperson is still spinning their propaganda that the Alien 2 is "a total pile of crap" and a "poorly built piece of junk".

They also maintain that the world is flat not round .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Zardoz wrote: »
    Unfortunately that isnt an official Vix release .

Vix's most vocal spokesperson is still spinning their propaganda that the Alien 2 is "a total pile of crap" and a "poorly built piece of junk".

They also maintain that the world is flat not round .

Words from creator of the VIX4SH4 image Anthony:

"ViX4SH4 - What's the story?
    ViX4SH4 is the culmination of a personal project of mine which started out around a year ago with a desire to learn more about Enigma2 and the building of E2 images for various receivers. I started out by getting interested in how images were built and plenty of reading, researching, trialing and testing with the advent of the OE-Alliance and some great help along the way from some OE-Alliance members and some long time help from one or two members on here I managed to successfully create a few builds of E2 firmware for various Broadcom based receivers, my idea at the time being to build an OpenViX firmware for some of those receivers that they didn't/don't officially support, that I did and I hope a few of you are still making use of them to this day.

Time moved on and things changed, it became not so easy to build from OE-Alliance and my interest became lost a little, that was until few months ago when we had the first interest and introduction of support for SH4 based receivers into the OE-Alliance base (or at least a fork of at the time), the guys that did this are owed a massive amount of thanks and respect from us all interested in SH4 receivers and Enigma2 (in my own opinion especially Sklnet and OpenATV Captain), they have really moved the whole SH4 E2 project forward for us all to a totally different level, never before have we been able to achieve with E2 what we now can from these receivers, and it's mainly thanks to these guys!

Anyway the thought of official OE-Alliance based images on SH4 receivers (in my case the Amiko Alien and Alien2) peaked my interest again, we've seen some fantastic images out recently from OpenATV for the Alien and Alien2 and I can not give enough thanks for that and a few grabbing the SH4 and E2 by the scruff of the neck and producing something we all probably knew was possible but while close in the past had never quite reached the level of support we'd all hoped and wanted - It now has and with this in mind and where I went with my previous ventures I decided to try my hand at producing a OpenViX type firmware but for the Amiko Alien and Alien2 receivers, and after months more learning, trying and testing I'm happy to say I've produced something which I think is worthy of being released for you all to have a try out of and (hopefully) enjoy!

I will be posting more detailed information on what the firmware releases are and what they do over the next day or so (hopefully tomorrow and with some screen shots) but for tonight I just wanted to post this up here and get them out for you all to try. I will just finish off by saying again this is all a personal project of mine and I am well and truly still learning as I go along, it's not an officially supported Lavatronics or OpenViX project (please don't turn up on their forum asking for support - they are not going to and it's not fair to ask - they absolutely have my own thanks for OpenViX though and the hard work that's been put in to create what has been achieved by their images), but this (the ViX4SH4 project) is simply something that interests me as a personal project and seems to be taking up a lot of my spare time lately(!), while I love it right now though I make no promises on where this will go and what will happen in the future, right now I'm just enjoying the project and challenge and hope long may it continue, who knows for the future though but I hope some of you will take as much enjoyment out of using this as I have trying to put it all together and seeing the end (or should that be the beginning) results.

Enjoy "

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Just a quick question on the remote. Does anyone else find the IR reception on the Amiko Alien2 poor? I have to be directly in front of the box at too much to the left or right and it wont work.

n0brain3r wrote: »
    Just a quick question on the remote. Does anyone else find the IR reception on the Amiko Alien2 poor? I have to be directly in front of the box at too much to the left or right and it wont work.

That was an issue on older images but its not an issue anymore,remote is excellent.
    Are you running an old image.
    The lircd.conf file should have the eps settings of 60 ,anything lower gives a poor response.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

n0brain3r wrote: »

I had the exact same problem and there's a very simple yet delicate fix that i finally done that solved this issue.

Firstly, peel off the perspex on the vfd display. Easiest way is to pop down the usb flap on the right and gently prise off from there. It's not clipped in, just some sort of mild glue.

Next, when you have that off, you will see the ir receiver at the bottom right hole.

Now the delicate part. At the top of the ir receiver, gently pull if forward, it will start to go down more so than come out of the hole. Be very gentle as it's soldered by 3 legs to a board.

Test with remote until happy and then pop back on your perspex.

Happy days!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement