Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'll be doing the same they look like a an excelent box.

Yeah only wish there was a few going second hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Yeah only wish there was a few going second hand!

Yhh 250 is hefty but on the plus at least u know its new. How long did ur alien 2 last?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Technofobe wrote: »
    Yep I hear you
    Sometimes all you need is a break
    If your up and at it early and dont get any where sometimes the image just gets corrupt
    I uploaded a working ver with the recording bug fixed
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/avl8jsooqfsmsph/AAC2sc0xF5Xkkw_sy1QUfNZxa?dl=0
    you could try it if you cant get your own backup working
    a quick recan of the terrestial stations and you should be back in business

Hello again, changing last message as I did download those files to my USB drive and surprisingly I did update the enigma2 file in SPARK - I had tried this before but it never worked for me but this time it took a few minutes and actually said that it was updating. Now, I am after reading the last line of your post and this is something I'm doing now. I did however tape the end of Vincent Browne and the RTEs did work again but the FTAs didn't and I also got this error message every time I change channel - it reads - 'Creating Hardlink to Timeshift file failed! The Filesystem on your Timeshift-Device does not support hardlinks. Make sure it is formatted in EXT2 or EXT3! [Errno 17] File exists'. I will be back after re scan. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Realalemadrid

Zardoz wrote: »
    Sluggishness is usually caused by an incorrect tuner configuration.
    Disable any tuners that you aren't using.

Thanks a lot. It seems to be a consistant issue with the aa2 and the saorview. For me anyway. I've had the same / similar issue with multiple images.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Thanks a lot. It seems to be a consistant issue with the aa2 and the saorview. For me anyway. I've had the same / similar issue with multiple images.

Is it only when you watch Saorview channels that the box is sluggish as thats a common issue on the AA2.
    Have you all three tuners connected ?

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yhh 250 is hefty but on the plus at least u know its new. How long did ur alien 2 last?

Had about 2 years. Sh1t happens I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Had about 2 years. Sh1t happens I guess.

Well you got "ahem" value for money for money from it then mate,

Have had problems with a sluggish terrestrial tuner in the past. It seems to be any image that includes the uniontype tuner plugin (Think that's what its called)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭deezell

The modified pti.ko file is supposed to resolve the bug

I've moved on to testing recordings. I got the blank screen after record problem, all tuners, requiring reboot. I'd installed the problem fix file pti.ko file in advance, so that didn't work. On openatv 4.2. Also, I read that this fix is Kernel specific, and it has two version, FTA and FTA plus encrypted, so file from one system may not fix another

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Realalemadrid

Is it only when you watch Saorview channels that the box is sluggish as thats a common issue on the AA2.
    Have you all three tuners connected ?

No it was all the time.

I turned off the Terrestrial tuner last night and this morning the image seemed to be running flawlessly - only had a few seconds now to look at it to throw on cartoons for the kids; but as soon as I read that last night I knew it was the problem - have had that issue before. I have issues normally tuning in saorview channels as well ( this was widely discussed here in the past I think ) - and its something I've never been able to fix. I have an Ariva 150 upstairs which has no problem tuning in the saorview so I think the terrestrial tuner in the box could either be faulty or as Fresh Pots says it could just be the type of tuner specifically.

Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Originally Posted by Zardoz
    The modified pti.ko file is supposed to resolve the bug[/QUOTE]

Further to this, I found in the HDMUdotCOM image blog that the pti.ko.217.zip file contains the basic pti.ko file with the following entry in HEX
    vermagic=2.6.32.61_stm24_0217

This is stated to be a change from the normal value of 214 for GOS images whatever they are, 215 is for OpenSPA, which is another image type, and 217 is for HDMU. I'm assuming there is a correct number for OpenATV?
    Anyway, should I not just use online update to update my image, would this not do the trick, (assuming the open ATV update changes the pti.ko to the correct one) I've already replaced pti.ko with the file Zardoz posted so I can't see what number was in it originally. Or should I reflash with the full image on the OpenATV site, they have one specifically for the SAB triple, though it might be the same as images for other brands of triple boxes for all I know. I'm still on the Freee.tv image, OpenATV 4.2, I've been keeping away from flashing untill I got familiar with all the other features. I have the OpenIf working, can't get the stream to open from it on android though, jerky on a PC. I used the Dreamdroid app instead and the streams were perfect to my phone. I had it recording one channel while viewing another and streaming yet another to the phone, it was fine until the recording came to an end and then the TV images blacked, and the streamed images failed, though all the OSD worked.

Found this on a Unix site, "In other words, your kernel refuses to accept your module because version strings (more precisely, version magics) do not match. Incidentally, version magics are stored in the module object in the form of a static string, starting with vermagic:. "

So the .ko file is rejected if the kernel no. inside doesn't match your box. Easy enough to edit this to the kernel no in information and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

hi,

I have downloaded the white picons for 28.2e. how do I change back to the black ones I had previously? cant find where the files have downloaded to?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hello again, changing last message as I did download those files to my USB drive and surprisingly I did update the enigma2 file in SPARK - I had tried this before but it never worked for me but this time it took a few minutes and actually said that it was updating. Now, I am after reading the last line of your post and this is something I'm doing now. I did however tape the end of Vincent Browne and the RTEs did work again but the FTAs didn't and I also got this error message every time I change channel - it reads - 'Creating Hardlink to Timeshift file failed! The Filesystem on your Timeshift-Device does not support hardlinks. Make sure it is formatted in EXT2 or EXT3! [Errno 17] File exists'. I will be back after re scan. Thanks again.

Has anyone a solution to my problem? I have searched Google for this but can't find a suitable solution. I now have two problems because re-installing Enigma didn't get rid of my problem - when recording is finished it still turns off the tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

The best solution is to flash Hyperion image, I'd say 90% of people on here use it as their daily runner with no problems at all, haven't used fresh pots' image myself, but Zardoz' is rock solid, everything mounts itself, it's just good to go.
    If you want to stay on openatv, I personally can't help at all

Has anyone a solution to my problem? I have searched Google for this but can't find a suitable solution. I now have two problems because re-installing Enigma didn't get rid of my problem - when recording is finished it still turns off the tuner.

The pti.ko file fix was meant to be the solution. My box blanked after recording though ithis was installed, but just now had a look at my kernel version, and it's 2.6.32.61_stm24_0216, but the version in the file posted is 2.6.32.61_stm24_0217. As my previous post shows, this module won't work unless the versions match. I'll use a hex editor to change 7 to 6, and see what happens. I read my version from Webif, the box info pages were showing blank.
    Your other problem just seems to be that your HDD is not Ext2 or EXT3.

deezell wrote: »
    Further to this, I found in the HDMUdotCOM image blog that the pti.ko.217.zip file contains the basic pti.ko file with the following entry in HEX
    vermagic=2.6.32.61_stm24_0217

This is stated to be a change from the normal value of 214 for GOS images whatever they are, 215 is for OpenSPA, which is another image type, and 217 is for HDMU. I'm assuming there is a correct number for OpenATV?

215 is HDMU and 217 is Openspa

Hallo Dare said he used 217 on Openatv and it solved his issues .

Hyperion WebIf :2.6.32.61_stm24_0214
    Or should I reflash with the full image on the OpenATV site, they have one specifically for the SAB triple, though it might be the same as images for other brands of triple boxes for all I know. I'm still on the Freee.tv image, OpenATV 4.2, I've been keeping away from flashing untill I got familiar with all the other features.

How old is that Free.tv image ? Its probably an early version of Openatv
    Press menu-information-about.

I suggest you do as Imstuck suggested and put Hyperion 4.5 on your receiver ,its far better than Openatv on the Sab Triple.

Openatv is a nice image on other receivers but their image for the Alien 2 is too buggy and temperamental.
    Its a memory hog too ,there is too much bloated stuff in the image .
    Its ok on the Alien 1 because it a single tuner but its not suitable for twin and triple multi tasking.

215 is HDMU and 217 is Openspa

Hallo Dare said he used 217 on Openatv and it solved his issues .

Hyperion WebIf :2.6.32.61_stm24_0214

How old is that Free.tv image ? Its probably an early version of Openatv
    Press menu-information-about.

I suggest you do as Imstuck suggested and put Hyperion 4.5 on your receiver ,its far better than Openatv on the Sab Triple.

Openatv is a nice image on other receivers but their image for the Alien 2 is too buggy and temperamental.
    Its a memory hog too ,there is too much bloated stuff in the image .
    Its ok on the Alien 1 because it a single tuner but its not suitable for twin and triple multi tasking.

August 2014, it's 4.2.1. I'll probably try Hyperion, but I'm only a few months at this, most of it on Spark till I got the hang of Unix receivers. I'll keep at openatv till I can do no more, then maybe switch. 217 didn't solve my blank tuner, but then others may have a different kernel, which matches the module version magic. I'd imagine the image for any given system should be the same, yet the openatv mirror site has images by Box type. This may be because of kernel difference. I'll post what happens when I edit the pti.ko file and ftp it back and test record.

August 2014, it's 4.2.1. I'll probably try Hyperion, but I'm only a few months at this, most of it on Spark till I got the hang of Unix receivers. I'll keep at openatv till I can do no more, then maybe switch. 217 didn't solve my blank tuner, but then others may have a different kernel, which matches the module version magic. I'd imagine the image for any given system should be the same, yet the openatv mirror site has images by Box type. This may be because of kernel difference. I'll post what happens when I edit the pti.ko file and ftp it back and test record.

Ok deezel,I like your methodology and your willingness to learn.;)

That Openatv image is ancient though.
    Openatv released their first image for the Alien 2 in July 2014 so what you have on it is too old.

Re the different openatv images for different receivers I'm pretty sure that all the images are the same .
    Why dont you try Technofobes Openatv backup from last week ?

Ok deezel,I like your methodology and your willingness to learn.;)

That Openatv image is ancient though.
    Openatv released their first image for the Alien 2 in July 2014 so what you have on it is too old.

Re the different openatv images for different receivers I'm pretty sure that all the images are the same .
    Why dont you try Technofobes Openatv backup from last week ?

I like to meddle, I suppose. If I had it perfect there'd be nothing to do but watch tv. This is much more fun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

I think the recording bug most of us here are talking about was when a recording was manually stopped and then the channel was changed there would be no picture
    You seem to be describing a different problem ?

Are you saying that when a recording finishes the amiko switches off

Funny that as night before last I was watching tv and the box shut down
    Herself was recording something at the time
    I think it finished
    a message came up
    and then the box switched off

Is this the same issue described or are you describing the same old problem with the picture going blank ?
    Thanks

I think the recording bug most of us here are talking about was when a recording was manually stopped and then the channel was changed there would be no picture
    You seem to be describing a different problem ?

Are you saying that when a recording finishes the amiko switches off

Funny that as night before last I was watching tv and the box shut down
    Herself was recording something at the time
    I think it finished
    a message came up
    and then the box switched off

Is this the same issue described or are you describing the same old problem with the picture going blank ?
    Thanks

Yes, picture blank after a recording, menu, epg all work but the tuner is frozen. There are after record options that can be set, they appear in the remote app Dreamdroid ( standby, nothing, et.) I don't know if these have a bearing. I edited the pti.ko file, no joy, box kept freezing so I had to restore the original. There's probably some kind of checksum that was wrong because I just changed a single byte of the file. I'm going to just flash with the latest 4.3 specifically labelled for the Sab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

Yes, picture blank after a recording, menu, epg all work but the tuner is frozen. There are after record options that can be set, they appear in the remote app Dreamdroid ( standby, nothing, et.) I don't know if these have a bearing. I edited the pti.ko file, no joy, box kept freezing so I had to restore the original. There's probably some kind of checksum that was wrong because I just changed a single byte of the file. I'm going to just flash with the latest 4.3 specifically labelled for the Sab.
    Yes you have the same options if you set a add timer from the epg
    I have changed the after event from aut to do nothing to see if it still switches off
    But just for the record the issue with the tuner locking up is not happening on mine any more after the pti.ko file was installed I no longer see the lock up after manually stopping the recordings openatv 4.2.1 2.6.32.61_stm24_0216 version: 2015-03-18
    Only have the issue now where the box appears to shut down after recording a programme

Yes you have the same options if you set a add timer from the epg
    I have changed the after event from aut to do nothing to see if it still switches off
    But just for the record the issue with the tuner locking up is not happening on mine any more after the pti.ko file was installed I no longer see the lock up after manually stopping the recordings openatv 4.2.1 2.6.32.61_stm24_0216 version: 2015-03-18
    Only have the issue now where the box appears to shut down after recording a programme
    In the first weeks of my enigma journey I recall the blanking problem the first time I used timeshift, when I'd hit stop to bring it up to date. I'd all sorts of issues, including the HDD format . Now I just have the blank after timer record, but the epg seems to crawl if you work it hard, the little rotating icon can sit there for an age, only rotating now and again. I suspect that when my HDD was iffy, the crossepg download reverted to system memory, not a good thing as there are only 20mb of memory free. I suspect a corrupt file somewhere, I'm going to reflash openatv from the open site, the after that I'll have a go at Hyperion.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

Would it make any difference to do a factory reset before flashing a new image, rather than just flashing a new image over a previous one?:confused:

cyndale wrote: »
    Would it make any difference to do a factory reset before flashing a new image, rather than just flashing a new image over a previous one?:confused:

Good question, a flash will overwrite the partition rerserved for the e2jffs.img file. This is a unix disk image file, sort of like the one you get when you copy a CD and keep an .iso image. You can't see the file structure on the .img (unless you're handy with unix shells, though some .img files can be burned to CD by changing the extension to .iso and using a windows diskcopy program). When you install it, it writes over everything there and mounts itself as the working image that is accessed by the bootloader. It's possible that there will be remnant of your previous install on the system memory, but that will be invisible to the new install. Thats the theory anyway, but stuff stored on USB and HDD will be unaffected. A factory reset will default back to the original image. It won't reset things like the bootloader or the kernel software, if there's problems there then you need a deeper level of recovery, using a recovery image, discussed elsewhere in the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Hi all,

Bought one of these boxes during the week. Haven't got a clue, so will keep reading this blog in the hope of learning something (within my capabilities).

Anyway, went to a well known tv retailer this morning to buy a wireless lan adapter. Was told by the sales guy that adapters are proprietary to particular types of equipment.

I thought that 802.11(?) would be a standard and all adapters would have to comply with this.

If this is not the case what adapter should I buy?

Thanks for your help.

JOSman wrote: »
    Hi all,

Bought one of these boxes during the week. Haven't got a clue, so will keep reading this blog in the hope of learning something (within my capabilities).

Anyway, went to a well known tv retailer this morning to buy a wireless lan adapter. Was told by the sales guy that adapters are proprietary to particular types of equipment.

I thought that 802.11(?) would be a standard and all adapters would have to comply with this.

Thanks for your help.

Here's one. Http://www.freetv.ie/amiko-alien-2-wifi-dongle.html Buy an HDD as well, for recording and pausing programme, and storing the 7 day epg database.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

JOSman wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks for your help.

try use spark and set tat up until u get enigma set up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

The wifi dongle won't work with most enigma images. It will on spark.
    If you plan to use enigma then you should get a wireless adapter that can be connected to the amiko with an Ethernet cable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement