Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

when i plug it in its just got the finding usb logo on top of screen all the time and wont reconize.it wont format back to fat32 as im now using partation manager pro

On your pc without using partition manager pro just right click on the drive and format it that way. No reason why that shouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    On your pc without using partition manager pro just right click on the drive and format it that way. No reason why that shouldn't work.
    ok am trying it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

so my usb is uselss now is it..i hope not as its 64gb

Why don't you try out hyp 4.5?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭deezell

If the drive is EXT formatted it wont even show up on the PC as a drive. You have to find it using the Disk manager to format it

deezell wrote: »
    If the drive is EXT formatted it wont even show up on the PC as a drive. You have to find it using the Disk manager to format it
    Actually yes now that I think about it you're right. Ignore what i said.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Why don't you try out hyp 4.5?
    will it make a difference

Actually yes now that I think about it you're right. Ignore what i said.
    showing as write protected when i format

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

will it make a difference

Yes.

Openatv is pants imo

showing as write protected when i format

Is there a little write protect switch on the drive? Alternatively, you should be able to view the files using EaseUS partition manager, and set the rights. You could also plug back into the box and use an ftp Clent such as Dreambox control centre to view the files and set the rights. It's odd how it would be write protected if it was your Epg / recording drive.

Is there a little write protect switch on the drive? Alternatively, you should be able to view the files using EaseUS partition manager, and set the rights. You could also plug back into the box and use an ftp Clent such as Dreambox control centre to view the files and set the rights. It's odd how it would be write protected if it was your Epg / recording drive.
    First thing I checked there isn't

• Advertisement

In addition, in windows file explorer go to Network, the box should appear there as ' amiko' or the like, you Can explore the file structure including the HDD.

I can see the files there are 100s of them on it and won't let me delete

I can see the files there are 100s of them on it and won't let me delete

I successfully used disk manager on the pc on a 1 Tb disk which had been initialised by the box to Ext3 then upped by the box to Ext4. I think I had to do something to the partition first, some configuration on the menu, I wish I could remember. I was left with a disk show a blank sector of 950 Gb, which I then selected and formatted to NTFS. I later restored Ext3 using EaseUS, finally got my Epg and box to work well. There must be a way to select all the files and set the write flag using this program. I'm not at home to check.

if u think of cud u let me know as im gonna keep trying cos i need this stick to work

I successfully used disk manager on the pc on a 1 Tb disk which had been initialised by the box to Ext3 then upped by the box to Ext4. I think I had to do something to the partition first, some configuration on the menu, I wish I could remember. I was left with a disk show a blank sector of 950 Gb, which I then selected and formatted to NTFS. I later restored Ext3 using EaseUS, finally got my Epg and box to work well. There must be a way to select all the files and set the write flag using this program. I'm not at home to check.
    trying to delete a 18gb of a partion to use again.so far no errors.any idea how long it can take as its doing it now 20 mins

now says some error occured while writing partation chains on disk.i dont know what to do

trying to delete a 18gb of a partion to use again.so far no errors.any idea how long it can take as its doing it now 20 mins

Are you using EaseUS? I'm no expert, but I do know that formatting to EXT takes longer than NTFS or FAT. It took about 15 minutes to format a 1Tb drive. I shouldnt imagine it would take that long to delete only 18Gb. I think I recall that the EXT drive showed some partition on it before I erased it back to it raw state prior to formatting. I should write down stuff like like this as I forget it as quick as I discover it. I've also read somewhwere that the external HDD should have a single partition, but idont know if this is critical or just optimal.
    I had another suggestion to set the write permission on Unix drives, you can use Telnet to send a command to the box, (with the drive plugged in), to set the write permission. The command is CHMOD 777 /HDD, assuming /HDD is the path to the external drive. It may be different, I'd have to FTP into my own box from here to have a look, plus it might vary from OpenATV image which I use.

Are you using EaseUS? I'm no expert, but I do know that formatting to EXT takes longer than NTFS or FAT. It took about 15 minutes to format a 1Tb drive. I shouldnt imagine it would take that long to delete only 18Gb. I think I recall that the EXT drive showed some partition on it before I erased it back to it raw state prior to formatting. I should write down stuff like like this as I forget it as quick as I discover it. I've also read somewhwere that the external HDD should have a single partition, but idont know if this is critical or just optimal.
    I had another suggestion to set the write permission on Unix drives, you can use Telnet to send a command to the box, (with the drive plugged in), to set the write permission. The command is CHMOD 777 /HDD, assuming /HDD is the path to the external drive. It may be different, I'd have to FTP into my own box from here to have a look, plus it might vary from OpenATV image which I use.
    ya but thing is it wont see the drive just searching the whole time

now says some error occured while writing partation chains on disk.i dont know what to do

Don't give up! My 1Tb was a mess after a stalled initialise on the box, it was EXT3 but was gumming up EPG writes. it took a few iterations of PC Disk manager, Back to exFAT, then Fat32 on a 32bit laptop, then EaseUS to erase any stufff over a couple of cycles, then finally format to EXT3, which is now flying, fingers crossed

ya but thing is it wont see the drive just searching the whole time
    time to bin it i think

• Advertisement

time to bin it i think
    everytime its says my media is write protected and tried diskpart to unwrite and still same.pain in the arse now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Hi guys.

I was wondering how do re-install some lost picons ie (RTE+1,ITV Be etc)

On Enigma 2. If it is a matter of re-installing them through Filezilla what folder layout I'm I looking for. Or is there another way. Thanks.

everytime its says my media is write protected and tried diskpart to unwrite and still same.pain in the arse now.

PITA is a common symptom of enigma ownership. Assuming you can stand, have you tried to use DCC to set the rights, using FTP or the Telnet command. From what little I know of Unix, it's possible to have a write enabled disk appear as read only when given to another user, i.e. Plugged into another device, a pc in this case. You'll need to replace it in the box and do some Unix commands to it, unmounting is possibly one, setting rights to all users. There's a good bit out there on the net, might be easier to buy a new HDD. Incidentally, the Unix blogs recommend Ext2 tops for sticks, for a reason that you can read up on if you're really interested.

PITA is a common symptom of enigma ownership. Assuming you can stand, have you tried to use DCC to set the rights, using FTP or the Telnet command. From what little I know of Unix, it's possible to have a write enabled disk appear as read only when given to another user, i.e. Plugged into another device, a pc in this case. You'll need to replace it in the box and do some Unix commands to it, unmounting is possibly one, setting rights to all users. There's a good bit out there on the net, might be easier to buy a new HDD. Incidentally, the Unix blogs recommend Ext2 tops for sticks, for a reason that you can read up on if you're really interested.
    I will try this later on and see what happens thanks I'll let u know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I've had a few drives go like that in the past,its most likely fried.
    Did you unplug in from the receiver while it was on ?

Talking of fried, my alien has packed in. Heard a spark out of it and it tripped the sockets. Now it won't boot. Think I'll be going box shopping pretty soon.

Zardoz wrote: »
    I've had a few drives go like that in the past,its most likely fried.
    Did you unplug in from the receiver while it was on ?

No always switched it off. Ah well good thing they are cheap enough to buy. Also @zardoz on ur hyperion 4.5 i tried it against another 4.5 from another user on another forum and his version works on my alien 1 with all the channels working that were not working on ur image. Isn't it strange as to why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭Zardoz

No always switched it off. Ah well good thing they are cheap enough to buy. Also @zardoz on ur hyperion 4.5 i tried it against another 4.5 from another user on another forum and his version works on my alien 1 with all the channels working that were not working on ur image. Isn't it strange as to why that is.

Yes,thats odd ,it must be some configuration issue or channel listings issue on the Alien 1 ,but you tried changing a few of those options and it made no difference .
    You could try a factory reset on my image and rerunning autobouquets ,that may help.
    Talking of fried, my alien has packed in. Heard a spark out of it and it tripped the sockets. Now it won't boot. Think I'll be going box shopping pretty soon.

Hopefully its just a fuse in the plug

Did you run autobouquets to check for frequency changes on zardoz image?

• Advertisement

Did you run autobouquets to check for frequency changes on zardoz image?

Ya I tried all the last time and no matter what I tried some channels could not get a signal so I tried this guys image and it's perfect after the first autobouquets run where as Zardoz image stayed the same. Every channel works now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement