Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

C'mere, spotted Donnacha O'Callaghan on TV on Saturday - is he a) injured at the moment and b) contracted for next season?

I thought he was contracted but hadn't heard about any injury.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

C'mere, spotted Donnacha O'Callaghan on TV on Saturday - is he a) injured at the moment and b) contracted for next season?

I thought he was contracted but hadn't heard about any injury.

Contracted until 2016. Not injured AFAIK just not picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Are we going to have a smaller senior squad next year? It looks that way with the announced comings and goings.

Academy player's may have more game time than this season. Fellas like Fitzgerald, madigan, Quinlan, burke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

case885 wrote: »
    Academy player's may have more game time than this season. Fellas like Fitzgerald, madigan, Quinlan, burke.

Quinlan 's kick for the under 20 s today was phenomenal, and under such pressure.. Keatley had better watch out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

athtrasna wrote: »
    Quinlan 's kick for the under 20 s today was phenomenal, and under such pressure.. Keatley had better watch out!
    He should just watch. Might learn something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Are we going to have a smaller senior squad next year? It looks that way with the announced comings and goings.
    Believe so. With world cup we'll have more games with no internationals playing so good chance to get more of younger guys playing pro12.
    Much cheaper as well and cost probably an issue as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Year is when contract ends.

HOOKERS

Mike Sherry 2015
    Damien Varley 2015 - RETIRING
    Duncan Casey 2016
    Niall Scannell 2017
    Kevin O'Byrne 2016
    Eusebio Guinazu 2015

Max Abbott Year 1

PROPS

James Cronin 2016
    Dave Kilcoyne 2017
    Peter McCabe undisclosed

BJ Botha January 2016
    Stephen Archer 2018
    John Ryan 2016
    Alan Cotter 2015 - LEAVING (AIX-EN-PROVENCE)
    Martin Kelly 2015 - RETIRING

Niall Horan Year 2
    Rory Burke Year 2
    Brian Scott Year 1

LOCKS

Paul O'Connell 2016 - LEAVING (TBC/Toulon)
    Donnacha Ryan 2017
    Donncha O'Callaghan 2016
    Dave Foley 2017
    Billy Holland 2016

Sean McCarthy Year 2
    John Madigan Year 2
    Darragh Moloney Year 1

FLANKERS

Peter O'Mahony 2018
    Dave O'Callaghan 2016
    Sean Dougall 2015 - LEAVING (PAU)
    Tommy O'Donnell 2016
    Barry O'Mahony 2015 - LEAVING (TBC/RETIREMENT)
    Shane Buckley 2016
    Jordan Coghlan 2016 - ARRIVING

Ryan Murphy Year 3

NUMBER EIGHTS

Robin Copeland 2016
    Paddy Butler 2015 - LEAVING (TBC)
    CJ Stander 2016
    Jack O'Donoghue 2018

SCRUM-HALVES

Conor Murray 2016
    Cathal Sheridan 2016
    Duncan Williams 2017
    Tomas O'Leary 2017 - ARRIVING

Jack Cullen Year 2
    Ryan Foley Year 1
    Jame Glynn Year 1

FLY-HALVES

Ian Keatley 2017
    JJ Hanrahan 2015 - LEAVING (NORTHAMPTON SAINTS)
    Tyler Bleyendall 2017
    Johnny Holland 2017

Gearoid Lyons Year 2

CENTRES

Ivan Dineen 2015 - LEAVING (TBC)
    Cian Bohane 2017
    Denis Hurley 2016
    Andrew Smith 2015 - LEAVING (TBC)
    Francis Saili 2017 - ARRIVING

Rory Scannell Year 2
    Dan Goggin Year 1

WINGERS

Simon Zebo 2016
    Keith Earls 2016
    Gerhard Van Den Heever 2016
    Johne Murphy 2015 - LEAVING (TBC)
    Andrew Conway 2016
    Luke O'Dea 2015
    Ronan O'Mahony 2017
    Darren Sweetnam 2017

Alex Wootton Year 2
    Greg O'Shea Year 2

FULLBACKS

Felix Jones 2017

David Johnston Year 2
    Stephen Fitzgerald Year 1

Updated list with today's news. Interestingly there was no mention of either Luke O'Dea or Guinazu leaving, so maybe both are staying on?

It looks like Munster will have a smaller squad next year but many of the players let go have been long term injury casualties this season.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/20717.php#.VW8pvMt0yHs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What's the story with Sherry?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What's the story with Sherry?
    I don't know, unless I've missed an announcement on an extension. I assume, like Bleyendaal, they will keep him on the books and see how his rehab progresses.

Keeping Guinazu would mean 5 senior hookers on the books though, that's not ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 balbriggan100

You need to update Paul O'Connell's status also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

And Butler is officially gone to Pau also

Is that the first confirmation of Murphy's departure? No surprise, it's been coming since the start of the season, but with him and Dineen gone, you're seriously light on cover in the centre.

Edit: and if Saili only arrives in October and Earls goes to the World Cup, could be an issue.

Wang King wrote: »
    And Butler is officially gone to Pau also

Link? I didn't see anything on rugbyrama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

[ Interestingly there was no mention of either Luke O'Dea or Guinazu leaving, so maybe both are staying on?

Talks ongoing with both according to one of the journos on twitter...forgive me for not looking back to see who. Announcements due by the end of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 balbriggan100

Is that the first confirmation of Murphy's departure? No surprise, it's been coming since the start of the season, but with him and Dineen gone, you're seriously light on cover in the centre.

Edit: and if Saili only arrives in October and Earls goes to the World Cup, could be an issue.

I think Rory Scannell will get a a fair bit of game time at centre next season in Pro12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Link? I didn't see anything on rugbyrama.

I think I linked it a week or two ago, it was Coughlan who said it that he had talked to him about Pau, but only after the deal was done (paraphrasing)

I think Rory Scannell will get a a fair bit of game time at centre next season in Pro12

I assumed they were going to promote him early but he wasn't mentioned with the other development contracts.

Anyone know if Diarmuid McCarthy is signing?

I assumed they were going to promote him early but he wasn't mentioned with the other development contracts.

Anyone know if Diarmuid McCarthy is signing?
    DmcC is in 7s squad. Munster may wait to see how 7s go before they look at signing him up to anything. He hasn't been signed yet AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hopefully, but Saili & Earls are probably our first and second choice 13s, although I'm not sure in which order; Earls could stay on the wing or Saili could be seen as a 12 but we don't have much at 13. Murphy's gone (not that he was great there), Dineen played there a few times, Smith is going... who is left? Bohane if he returns from injury? Dan Goggin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hendo12

Robbie Henshaw at 13?? Liam Toland mentioned it on Newstalk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

hendo12 wrote: »
    Robbie Henshaw at 13?? Liam Toland mentioned it on Newstalk

Salili would be at 13 Henshaw would be at 12 like he is for Ireland if he was to be signed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Hopefully, but Saili & Earls are probably our first and second choice 13s, although I'm not sure in which order; Earls could stay on the wing or Saili could be seen as a 12 but we don't have much at 13. Murphy's gone (not that he was great there), Dineen played there a few times, Smith is going... who is left? Bohane if he returns from injury? Dan Goggin?

Would like to see Bohane get a good run, very unfortunate with a bad knee injury last year in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm disappointed that Dineen was let go, obviously, he wasn't highly rated but on the occasions he got a run he did well. He's improved his defence too so I thought he'd get a contract extension.

phog wrote: »
    I'm disappointed that Dineen was let go, obviously, he wasn't highly rated but on the occasions he got a run he did well. He's improved his defence too so I thought he'd get a contract extension.
    He's a good player but he turns 28 next month and has been injury prone. He was unlucky in 2013/14 not to get more big match opportunities after performing in early season matches.

He knew a year ago he wasn't getting another contract...

Ssshhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭phog

ah go on post it

Oh yeah I forgot about that. Good point.

Same goes for Johne.

• Advertisement

Academy for next season announced
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/20721.php#.VXBr37jbLMx
    New players added are:
    Ned Hodson (Centre/Cork Con), Ben Kilkenny (Back-row/Young Munster), Steven McMahon (Winger/Garryowen), Liam O'Connor (Prop/Cork Con), Conor Oliver (Back-row/St Mary's), JP Phelan (Prop/UCD), Tomás Quinlan (Outhalf/Cork Con).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement