Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

aimee1 wrote: »
    Reports suggest toulon backing out of signing POC over an old shoulder injury

I'd be hugely surprised if they went through with bailing on the deal. Toulon have signed guys who have been absolutely crocked in the past. They signed Juan Smith out of enforced retirement. Drew Mitchell had a horrific leg injury. These things don't appear to phase them and POC's signing is about the impact off the field as well as on it.

It would be a complete clusterf*ck for POC if it did come to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

It's a bit odd that they would have delayed it so late to announce the deal, and O'Connell has had a couple of prolonged injury absences in recent years.

On a personal level for him, I'd be gutted if it fell through. Might work out great for Munster though.

On a personal level for him, I'd be gutted if it fell through. Might work out great for Munster though.

I'm not sure if he'd stay at Munster. I'm sure someone like Pau would be very eager to jump in at the 11th hour, if at all possible.

It opens a whole can of worms regarding his availability for Irish duty if he remains. He has already announced his departure and international retirement. If his contract continues, he then continues to be available for selection unless Schmidt agrees to just let him take a valuable starting spot at a province without calling him up making him essentially an extra NIQ player. That won't happen.

In the unlikely event of the deal collapsing, I could see him still going to France. In fact, I'd be surprised if Mannix and Coughlan hadn't been on the phone in the last day or two already just checking in on the off chance the whispers have some validity.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Buer wrote: »
    I'd be hugely surprised if they went through with bailing on the deal. Toulon have signed guys who have been absolutely crocked in the past. They signed Juan Smith out of enforced retirement. Drew Mitchell had a horrific leg injury. These things don't appear to phase them and POC's signing is about the impact off the field as well as on it.

It would be a complete clusterf*ck for POC if it did come to pass.

First thing that came to mind was Juan Smith. The guy's achilles were gone. You just don't come back from that. They must have some medical staff there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I'm not sure if he'd stay at Munster. I'm sure someone like Pau would be very eager to jump in at the 11th hour, if at all possible.

It opens a whole can of worms regarding his availability for Irish duty if he remains. He has already announced his departure and international retirement. If his contract continues, he then continues to be available for selection unless Schmidt agrees to just let him take a valuable starting spot at a province without calling him up making him essentially an extra NIQ player. That won't happen.

In the unlikely event of the deal collapsing, I could see him still going to France. In fact, I'd be surprised if Mannix and Coughlan hadn't been on the phone in the last day or two already just checking in on the off chance the whispers have some validity.

Yeah you're right, he's unlikely to go back to Munster.

But if he's publicly dumped by Toulon then are other teams going to be lining up?

• Advertisement

Yeah you're right, he's unlikely to go back to Munster.

But if he's publicly dumped by Toulon then are other teams going to be lining up?

Well, the rumour is Pau had offered him a 1 year deal. If he's able to come through the RWC then I don't see any reason they wouldn't offer him that with another year potentially on top of it.

I'm sure POC wanted the security of 2 years though, on big money with a strong chance of silverware. The silverware won't be in the reckoning at Pau although I'm sure it would be nice for him and his missus to have a couple of familiar faces knocking around the place.

The biggest problem is the T14 transfer deadline though. Apparently it's this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

The biggest problem is the T14 transfer deadline though. Apparently it's this week.

could be signed after the RWC as a joker

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Well, the rumour is Pau had offered him a 1 year deal. If he's able to come through the RWC then I don't see any reason they wouldn't offer him that with another year potentially on top of it.

I'm sure POC wanted the security of 2 years though, on big money with a strong chance of silverware. The silverware won't be in the reckoning at Pau although I'm sure it would be nice for him and his missus to have a couple of familiar faces knocking around the place.

Think it's tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

Would put my mortgage on him heading to Mannix & Co in Pau if it falls through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 jimmymcelroy

New Munster tracksuit pants on lovellrugby, boards won't allow me to put a pic up. They look nice but seem to have that dodgy tight ankle cut like this years one had

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

New Munster tracksuit pants on lovellrugby, boards won't allow me to put a pic up. They look nice but seem to have that dodgy tight ankle cut like this years one had

All I could see was a Kids version on the site.. I am looking for the tight ankle cut that I'v seen them wear in training, is that version even available for public sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 seanm187

Anyone know anything about James Cronin switching to TH? Was in the Irish Independent at the end of the article on POC's move to Touloun..

Meanwhile, the Irish Independent has learned that Munster's James Cronin is expected to switch from loosehead prop to tighthead before the start of next season.
    The 24-year-old, currently in Georgia with the Emerging Ireland squad, will compete for a place with Stephen Archer and BJ Botha whose contract runs until December. Cronin has won two Ireland caps and, after missing a large part of last season through injury, is in a race to prove his fitness before the World Cup.

He has played there in the AIL and for Munster Youths so not a completely foreign position to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

seanm187 wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about James Cronin switching to TH? Was in the Irish Independent at the end of the article on POC's move to Touloun..

Meanwhile, the Irish Independent has learned that Munster's James Cronin is expected to switch from loosehead prop to tighthead before the start of next season.
    The 24-year-old, currently in Georgia with the Emerging Ireland squad, will compete for a place with Stephen Archer and BJ Botha whose contract runs until December. Cronin has won two Ireland caps and, after missing a large part of last season through injury, is in a race to prove his fitness before the World Cup.
    Its been talked about for ages. He has some experience of TH from age grade I think... Would aid Munster a lot to get him and Kilkoyne on pitch at same time

Its been talked about for ages. He has some experience of TH from age grade I think... Would aid Munster a lot to get him and Kilkoyne on pitch at same time

Played TH with Ballincollig and also Highfield so dont think it will test him too much but its a big step up at level. I think Archer could struggle if he takes to it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

seanm187 wrote: »

I would have thought Cronin would be fairly lightweight for a tight head.

mogwai81 wrote: »

18 stone so should be fine. Might want a little bit more bulk but nothing that wouldn't be pretty achievable in a good pre-season.

18 stone so should be fine. Might want a little bit more bulk but nothing that wouldn't be pretty achievable in a good pre-season.
    Didn't relise he was that big. Very good scrummager at loosehead, but I've no idea how that translates to tighthead.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He's already got a stone on Nicolas Mas (according to wikipedia). I'd be a lot more worried about technique and experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

rocky911 wrote: »
    Played TH with Ballincollig and also Highfield so dont think it will test him too much but its a big step up at level. I think Archer could struggle if he takes to it well.
    I played against him when he was with collig, Highfield and Dolphin. Primarily loosehead with Highfield as younger brother of Timmy, Dave Ryan propped Tighthead...
    Archer will be fine if JC does do ok as we need a few options..
    mogwai81 wrote: »
    He's 18.5/19 stone already... What weight would you consider him to have to be to not be light for TH?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hurk

I played against him when he was with collig, Highfield and Dolphin. Primarily loosehead with Highfield as younger brother of Timmy, Dave Ryan propped Tighthead...

He's 18.5/19 stone already... What weight would you consider him to have to be to not be light for TH?

I've said it before on here, but he's not that weight. They're his stats but he's closer to 108-110kg. He'll obviously bulk up but he's not that size yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

I would reckon Cronin is a fair few kilos over 110 , sure the three u20 irish props porter, loughman and heffernan would all be 115kg or just under and theyre 19 years old.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Hurk wrote: »
    I've said it before on here, but he's not that weight. They're his stats but he's closer to 108-110kg. He'll obviously bulk up but he's not that size yet.

They're his stats? The stat means that when he was weighed in pre season he weighed 114Kg. If that wasn't the case then they'd have put a different weight on his profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hurk

I would reckon Cronin is a fair few kilos over 110 , sure the three u20 irish props porter, loughman and heffernan would all be 115kg or just under and theyre 19 years old.

Ya, I know what you're saying, and obviously it's a bit mad discussing a lad's weight but he's a friend of a friend, who trains/gyms with him and that's what he tells me. He has said he's been lower than 108 kgs as well. He's a big strong lad, but he doesn't carry the extra weight that say, Kilcoyne, does.

Hurk wrote: »
    Ya, I know what you're saying, and obviously it's a bit mad discussing a lad's weight but he's a friend of a friend, who trains/gyms with him and that's what he tells me. He has said he's been lower than 108 kgs as well. He's a big strong lad, but he doesn't carry the extra weight that say, Kilcoyne, does.

Its grand having the weight but I guess if you dont have the technique its no good to ya

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

It would be a slight risk moving him, while it'd be great for us, he could struggle while he makes the step up. AIL and the pro game are obviously hugely different.

Archer did have a good season last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Botha contract makes a lot of sense in light of this. I'm sure he will have a mentoring role with Cronin.

Quote: Buer
    Quote:mogwai81
    Didn't relise he was that big. Very good scrummager at loosehead, but I've no idea how that translates to tighthead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Champions Cup
    Pool 1 Pool 2 Pool 3 Pool 4 Pool 5
    Sarseholes Clermont Glasgow Stade Francais Bath
    Ulster Ospreys Northhampton Munster Toulon
    Toulouse Exeter Racing 92 Leicester Leinster
    Oyonnax Bordeaux Scarlets Treviso Wasps

Happy enough with our group! A trip to Paris around Xmas would be nice :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement