Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Earls is such a special player. Joe has to find a place for him in the Irish side for the RWC.
    I don't see how Earls won't be on the plane, unless he gets hurt again. At worst he's the perfect utility player for in a squad with number restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Earls is such a special player. Joe has to find a place for him in the Irish side for the RWC.
    I don't see how Earls won't be on the plane, unless he gets hurt again. At worst he's the perfect utility player for in a squad with number restrictions.

I dunno. I was at the game on Saturday and I thought some of his defending was absolutely cat. His decision to go high on Faletau in the first couple of minutes was a particularly bad call.

Yes, he was good in attack, but still made one or two errors there. The attempted pass/offload to Donnacha Ryan in the first half that went straight into touch comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

I dunno. I was at the game on Saturday and I thought some of his defending was absolutely cat. His decision to go high on Faletau in the first couple of minutes was a particularly bad call.

Yes, he was good in attack, but still made one or two errors there. The attempted pass/offload to Donnacha Ryan in the first half that went straight into touch comes to mind.

nit picking on errors that a lot of players make in defence. Earls is one of the best irish backs so unless he is injured he is a near cert to make the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

aimee1 wrote: »
    nit picking on errors that a lot of players make in defence. Earls is one of the best irish backs so unless he is injured he is a near cert to make the squad.

I'm a fan of Earls, but his defending on Saturday was poor by any standards, and Joe's standards are high. Ireland's game plan is built on having a solid defence and being accountable for making one on one tackles.

The fact it was a very loose game mitigates in his favour, but if he puts in a defensive shift like that in any of the build-up games he could well see himself left out of the WC squad.

Earls is a very good player, but we have a lot of very talented backs at the moment, and are particularly stacked with talent on the wings, so I don't necessarily agree with your statement that he's "one of the best Irish backs", unless it was qualified by saying "if he's on form".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

I'm a fan of Earls, but his defending on Saturday was poor by any standards, and Joe's standards are high. Ireland's game plan is built on having a solid defence and being accountable for making one on one tackles.

The fact it was a very loose game mitigates in his favour, but if he puts in a defensive shift like that in any of the build-up games he could well see himself left out of the WC squad.

Earls is a very good player, but we have a lot of very talented backs at the moment, and are particularly stacked with talent on the wings, so I don't necessarily agree with your statement that he's "one of the best Irish backs", unless it was qualified by saying "if he's on form".

Look at the leinster players and the difference between how they have performed this season in blue and green. JS gets the best out of players even when their club 'form' sees them dropped. Mike Ross is a prime example in january he wasnt in the leinster squad in europe yet he picked up a 6n winners medal.

JS has constantly name checked Earls and he is the sort of coach who would make Earls a better player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Dragons scored 2 tries after Earls had gone off (the score was 45-17 when he went ). According to ESPN stats, Earls missed one tackle in the game. He also beat 5 defenders and made 2 clean breaks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Interesting that Schmidt went to watch the Connacht game rather than the Munster game over the weekend. Hmmmm, Healy instead of zebo, o'halloran instead of Jones would seem the logic for rwc. Bowe already has 14 wrapped up so Keith might have to book holiday flights instead

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

ouncer wrote: »
    Interesting that Schmidt went to watch the Connacht game rather than the Munster game over the weekend. Hmmmm, Healy instead of zebo, o'halloran instead of Jones would seem the logic for rwc. Bowe already has 14 wrapped up so Keith might have to book holiday flights instead

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

ouncer wrote: »

Far more likely he was having a look at Buckley and Marmion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Earls missed one tackle from my memory. And it was against Faletau, no shame in that. I think he did get turned over once or twice which he'll be disappointed with but would have to see the game again to see is that down to the support possibly. Hit his rucks too. Lovely vision too to step out of the maul to pull the defender to let Denis Hurley over the line for his try (another player in a sustained rich vein of form)

Form winger, possibly player, in the country at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ah I think Gilroy is the form winger in the country at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Does anybody know if being involved in the Ireland Wolfhounds 7's squad means that the player will no longer be contracted to Munster or available for the pro12 squads, seems a few Munster players been named in the 7's squad this morning. I ask as Shane Layden was released by Connacht at the end of the season (confirmed at weekend) and I spot a certain Luke O'Dea named below...

This would also explain why we have seen Diarmuid McCarthy training wiith the A and senior squads recently, I recognise some of the others from A team or academy updates but don't know much about them..

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/34621.php#.VVsFNWNgSI4

Alan Bennie (Clanwilliam /Munster)
    Dan Goggin (Young Munster/Munster)
    Gearoid Lyons (Young Munster/ Munster)
    Diarmuid McCarthy (Young Munster/Munster)
    Luke O'Dea (Shannon/ Munster)
    Alex Wootton (Garryowen/Munster)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭leakyboots

tommycahir wrote: »
    Does anybody know if being involved in the Ireland Wolfhounds 7's squad means that the player will no longer be contracted to Munster or available for the pro12 squads, seems a few Munster players been named in the 7's squad this morning. I ask as Shane Layden was released by Connacht at the end of the season (confirmed at weekend) and I spot a certain Luke O'Dea named below...

This would also explain why we have seen Diarmuid McCarthy training wiith the A and senior squads recently, I recognise some of the others from A team or academy updates but don't know much about them..

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/34621.php#.VVsFNWNgSI4

Alan Bennie (Clanwilliam /Munster)
    Dan Goggin (Young Munster/Munster)
    Gearoid Lyons (Young Munster/ Munster)
    Diarmuid McCarthy (Young Munster/Munster)
    Luke O'Dea (Shannon/ Munster)
    Alex Wootton (Garryowen/Munster)

My understanding is that LOD is to be released, but until it's official take it with a grain of salt (pity if it is true, always looked exciting when fit)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

leakyboots wrote: »
    My understanding is that LOD is to be released, but until it's official take it with a grain of salt (pity if it is true, always looked exciting when fit)

That would be in line with what I would expect based on practice in other countries and from Connacht already with Shane Layden. I always liked seeing him but he looked to be made of glass so the space in 7's should suit him.

It would be a great shop window for LOD at the very least for other clubs to see his pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭phog

Stringer has signed a one year deal with Sale Sharks

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

phog wrote: »

Boo-urns. Was hoping he'd play for Leinster during the RWC.

I thought he would go to Pau as a backup to Lacrampe.

They've increased the prices for South and North Terrace to €40. The other prices haven't changed. That's weird.
    http://www.ticketmaster.ie/guinness-pro12-playoff-semi-final-limerick-city-05-23-2015/event/18004EA8EA0F83D0?artistid=33318&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=225

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

They've increased the prices for South and North Terrace to €40. The other prices haven't changed. That's weird.
    http://www.ticketmaster.ie/guinness-pro12-playoff-semi-final-limerick-city-05-23-2015/event/18004EA8EA0F83D0?artistid=33318&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=225

Thats an error i'd be fairly certain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Is it that dynamic pricing thing?

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Is it that dynamic pricing thing?

No it's an error it seems.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Nigels Owens to ref on Saturday.

Michael Corcoran ‏@MichaelC_RTE 1m1 minute ago

@Nigelrefowens to referee @PRO12rugby semi final between @Munsterrugby and @ospreys #RTErugby

The squad updates in. Zebo, Cronin and Casey are back in training, but it doesn't sound too promising for O'Mahoney
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/20637.php#.VVtdTPnBzGc
    Squad Captain Peter O'Mahony (hip) was also in attendance at the session and worked with Head Physio Shea McAleer in following a tailored rehab programme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Nigels Owens to ref on Saturday.

Michael Corcoran ‏@MichaelC_RTE 1m1 minute ago

@Nigelrefowens to referee @PRO12rugby semi final between @Munsterrugby and @ospreys #RTErugby

plus

Assistant referees: Leighton Davies (Wales), Ian Davies (Wales)
    Television match official: Gareth Simmonds (Wales)
    Timekeeper: Louis Cunningham (Ireland)

strange even the AR's are welsh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

phog wrote: »

Fair play to him for managing to get another year of top level rugby, at 37!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

How many they expecting for Saturday? Surely they'd get near the 20,000 mark for a semi it should really be sold out.

How many they expecting for Saturday? Surely they'd get near the 20,000 mark for a semi it should really be sold out.

Not a hope of shifting 26500 tickets in 6 days. Anywhere 20000 will be a great turnout.

The average attendance at the S/finals is 13,171 the highest attendance at a s/f is 19,750 when Leinster hosted Munster in the RDS.

One of the reasons for this is there is only a week to sell the game and to make matters worse this year Ospreys & Munster fans know no matter what happens on Saturday they will not have a home final.

If Munster get anywhere near 15k on Saturday it will be some achievement.

• Advertisement

Squad Update
    Simon Zebo and Duncan Casey, who were both suffering from mild back issues, took part in modified training programmes today and are expected to take a full part in Thursday's training session, while James Cronin (knee) and Kevin O'Byrne (neck) made a return to full training this morning.

Squad Captain Peter O'Mahony (hip) was also in attendance at the session and worked with Head Physio Shea McAleer in following a tailored rehab programme.

Meeting with media post-training Head Coach Anthony Foley was open to seeing how all players progressed for the week with the final field session taking place on Thursday.

Mike Sherry (shoulder) is progressing well with his return to full training and next will advance to the final stages of his return-to-contact rehabilitation.

Tommy O'Donnell (hamstring), Dave O'Callaghan (knee), Gerhard van den Heever (knee), Robin Copeland (shoulder), Cian Bohane (knee), Johnny Holland (hamstring) and Shane Buckley (shoulder) all continue to follow their rehabilitation programmes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement