Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

You can't differentiate between practice and actual swings meaning you can't automatically records stats, which is what microsoft is offering. Research has found most golfers prefer a non-intrusive wearable solution that doesn't interfere with their routines unlike your game golf.
    Take your shot and beep after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭bustercherry

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Take your shot and beep after?

??????

??????
    Gamegolf, take your shot routine and swing then beep

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

I've had the gamegolf since Christmas, I have to say I like it, but I don't think I play enough to get really accurate club stats from it. I've only got about 20 rounds in since I got it.

Also, any automated solution like the gamegolf or the new Microsoft one all suffer from the fact that they don't take weather into account and can't really take shot type, punch, 3/4 shot into account. The weather can really distort things, earlier on this year I only seemed to play in 30km+ winds, so you could have 180yrd 9 iron followed up by a 160yrd 5 iron, where the 5 iron could be a far better hit, just into a head wind, the club stats you get from rounds like that are of marginal usefulness.

The other stats like FIR and GIR, putting etc aren't any better that something like golfshot, I just prefer that they are automatically collected.

I've tried to integrate tagging my club into my pre-shot routine, using it as my trigger for the start of my routine for each shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Picking up one of these 2nd hand this evening.

How accurate is it knowing if you are on the fairway or green? i.e. if you are just on or off

It seems to show iron shots within 15 yards as a stat. Is this of the green, middle of green or what? I presume they have no idea where the pin is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Picking up one of these 2nd hand this evening.

How accurate is it knowing if you are on the fairway or green? i.e. if you are just on or off

It seems to show iron shots within 15 yards as a stat. Is this of the green, middle of green or what? I presume they have no idea where the pin is?

There will be some marginal ones where it'll pick up a fairway hit/missed incorrectly.

When you load your round to the pc afterwards you can manipulate the exact position yourself.

Also it is within 15 yards of the pin. Again you can move the pin to where it should be on each green when you are updating your round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hi guys,

How do you find the accuracy of your device? I used mine for the first time on Saturday and just reviewing it there I'm wondering how accurate it is in picking up where you are actually playing from (as in when I zoom in it seems to be out by a bit). I'm sure it is like anything and depends on the signal.

Also is it possible to remove sand saves? A couple of holes where my approach shot would have come over a bunker and finished on the green seem to be showing as a sand save for the hole??

Where is the cheapest place to get one of these?

Looking to get one for christmas ( did they do a sale last year?)

I'm always going over my rounds mentally when I get home and think I'd get real use out of this. I used a simple phone app the last day and I was sure my miss was left all day but if the app is correct it was to the right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

There's a new version of Game Golf launching next week, so it's probably best to wait till after that as the prices of the old version will surely drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

dan_ep82 wrote:
    Where is the cheapest place to get one of these?

Black Friday coming up soon I would say keep an eye out there for it maybe ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Hi guys, just looking on eBay and a couple of game golfs for sale, are said to be for android.
    Can anyone tell me if there is a separate system for android and iPhone?
    Nothing to indicate on the web site. Just though all you need is the app.
    Cheers

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Hi guys, just looking on eBay and a couple of game golfs for sale, are said to be for android.
    Can anyone tell me if there is a separate system for android and iPhone?
    Nothing to indicate on the web site. Just though all you need is the app.
    Cheers

Shouldn't make any difference as far as I know Ben.

Pretty sure I installed app on iPad & android phone. Will double check when I get home for ya

Shouldn't make any difference as far as I know Ben.

Pretty sure I installed app on iPad & android phone. Will double check when I get home for ya

Cheers Space

Sorry for the delay Ben, I do have the app on both android phone & iPad so you should be good

Sorry for the delay Ben, I do have the app on both android phone & iPad so you should be good

Cheers space, on closer inspection there is an android version which tags to the phone. No GPS module with this system. This would explain the price reduction

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Cheers space, on closer inspection there is an android version which tags to the phone. No GPS module with this system. This would explain the price reduction
    Yeah they've released a new version called GameGolf Live which seems to have a lot of extra features including live update as you go, rather than having to update & review your data after uploading after a round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the gamegolf live.
    So I contacted gamegolf and asked if there is any difference between the device worn on the hip apart from the colour. After all what's the point in spending an extra 150 on the live version if your not going to use it.
    They were vague at best the said it had some upgraded components but that could be the bluetooth receiver for connecting to the smart phone.
    I don't see myself using the live features on casual rounds and it can't be used in competition.
    So my questions.
    Does anybody think it's worth the extra €150 for the live version?

Anyone using either device these days?

Would anyone be interested in setting up a gamegolf group to share scores and create challenges?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the gamegolf live.
    So I contacted gamegolf and asked if there is any difference between the device worn on the hip apart from the colour. After all what's the point in spending an extra 150 on the live version if your not going to use it.
    They were vague at best the said it had some upgraded components but that could be the bluetooth receiver for connecting to the smart phone.
    I don't see myself using the live features on casual rounds and it can't be used in competition.
    So my questions.
    Does anybody think it's worth the extra €150 for the live version?

Anyone using either device these days?

Would anyone be interested in setting up a gamegolf group to share scores and create challenges?

If I remember correctly outside of the live features it also includes strokes gained stats which are not available on the original one.

I haven't been really using mine over the winter months, as I don't think I'll be getting any real valuable data from it given conditions.

Funny thing is, even when I'm not wearing it I'm still instinctively moving the club to where I wear the tag on my belt usually

Would be happy to join a group of a few were interested

I got mine a few weeks ago but haven't really got in enough games to pick up any data. I've had one round where I haven't been shanking the ball every second strike in the beginning but it was in 12ms wind so it doesn't help much. I'd be more than happy to share my rubbish stats though

Maybe start a thread if theres enough interest?

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/DanCarolan

Just followed you there now Dan

• Advertisement

I'm in but haven't bought one yet. Do you have the live version space?

I'm in but haven't bought one yet. Do you have the live version space?

No, I've the original.

Much as I would love the have the strokes gained stat, the cost wasn't justifiable to me to upgrade from the standard version

Arrived today looking forward to getting some stats. Pity there's not a lot of interest in this thread. Connect with me anyway my user name is Montgolfier.

Gamegolf live arrived today €250 ebay parcel motel ed it. I'm looking forward to getting some stats. Pity there's not a lot of interest in this thread. Connect with me anyway my user name is Montgolfier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

No, I've the original.

Much as I would love the have the strokes gained stat, the cost wasn't justifiable to me to upgrade from the standard version

I just uploaded my game from Saturday. Original version, not the live and I now see strokes gained in my profile. Only see them on the website not the app. Quite interesting stats and it confirms my instincts.

I'm losing 1.26 shots off the tee against 5HCP (I'm off 5). But gaining 2.26 shots with approaches. Short game not where it needs to be with 1.00 shot loss and I'm not as bad a putter as I thought I was. Iron play has always been my strength and interestingly my approach play almost sees me level against a scratch marker.

Gamegolf live arrived today €250 ebay parcel motel ed it. I'm looking forward to getting some stats. Pity there's not a lot of interest in this thread. Connect with me anyway my user name is Montgolfier.

Just followed you there now too Montgolfier.

@Senecio, I see the Strokes Gained Stats are there now, and you're right, based on the data I have in there, it is a good stat to highlight the weaknesses in your game. Obviously versus a scratch golfer I get hammered in all four areas.

But my handicap is 12, so if I benchmark vs the average 10 handicap:

I gain have a small gain off the tee & with the putter, but I lose out on approach & short game.

Whereas benchmarking against a 15 handicap, I come out gaining in all stats, but again I gain least in the short game area

I like the Insights it gives too. Eg...

On Approach the tip it gives is:
    "Work on your Approach between 125-150 from the rough to lower your score by up to 0.33 strokes per round"

ie, when I'm practicing I need to be hitting more shots from bad lies, rather than hitting off the short & flat stuff all the time

Just followed you there now too Montgolfier.

@Senecio, I see the Strokes Gained Stats are there now, and you're right, based on the data I have in there, it is a good stat to highlight the weaknesses in your game. Obviously versus a scratch golfer I get hammered in all four areas.

But my handicap is 12, so if I benchmark vs the average 10 handicap:

I gain have a small gain off the tee & with the putter, but I lose out on approach & short game.

Whereas benchmarking against a 15 handicap, I come out gaining in all stats, but again I gain least in the short game area

I like the Insights it gives too. Eg...

On Approach the tip it gives is:
    "Work on your Approach between 125-150 from the rough to lower your score by up to 0.33 strokes per round"

ie, when I'm practicing I need to be hitting more shots from bad lies, rather than hitting off the short & flat stuff all the time

I have recorded 5 holes only, going a bit mad here. All the courses around are closed due to the wet weather.

Finally got out for a game in Faithlegg tried out the GG. The course was wet and the wind was up but I played well.

It makes playing a round on your own interesting as your trying to get cut on your GG handicap.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Montgolfier/insights/share/58ca4e8e6d

http://practical-golf.com/how-to-set-goals-using-stats/

Good article I just stumbled across

• Advertisement

Having used gamegolf live for the last month or so I'm not entirely convinced of its usefulness.
    I find that it takes about 10 min to link everything up with bluetooth etc. meanwhile a fourball are heading to the first tee ahhh!!.
    You get it going play your round and it shows 2 rounds a duplicate from the phone usually one with 3 less holes as your battery died near the end.
    I've been using it without the phone and it's a log better. I'm disappointed though as I badgered the company to tell me what's the difference between the belt devices but all I got was the new version has upgraded components. That could mean the colour of the plastic was different. Anyway just incase anyone was going to buy one I would think the standard version is just as good and save yourself €150. (Mind I got mine for 250 on ebay)

Advertisement