Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Yes - as we said on here very early on.

The taging was going to be gone.

Now that is a product.

Edit.
    No, looked it up there - a few annoying features too. Still not perfect. Review below.

Cons:
    - this app requires constant attention while you play. I had my phone in my back pocket on my 3rd time playing with the app. The shot tracker was 4 holes behind by the time I realized. Tracking that round was shot.
    - the putting is horrible. It consistently had me taking 3 or 4 puts when I would have less than that. Furthermore, you can't even tell which puts were real and which ones were phantoms. I made this point to tech support, they said to try only replicating the putting stroke while putting to avoid false positives.. Maybe it's me, but when I'm playing golf, I don't want to have to worry about what I'm doing while preparing to hit.
    - stats related to the green just don't seem correct, related I'm sure to the poor putting experience.

Yep look far from perfect and id imagine this product will be improved upon within the next 6 - 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fair enough.

But PARlance - would you buy game golf - or get 5 lessons ?

Is that not obvious? :)

Five good lessons would be far more beneficial for me.
    Game golf won't do you any harm, unless it messes with your pre shot rountine, but I just couldn't justify the cost or the hassle. The only thing that I've seen that I would really llike is the %'s surrounding the short game.

I would like to think that I'm becoming more and more aware of the weaknesses in my game and working on them. I also think I've a good grasp of my distances. So I can't really see me buying it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Problem I don't know if I want it cause I like technology and gimmicks or whether I actually want it to help me improve my game :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Problem I don't know if I want it cause I like technology and gimmicks or whether I actually want it to help me improve my game :/

I'm a little bit in this camp.

I got it as a Christmas present, and more because I didn't really need anything in particular & like golf & gadgets.

For me, one of the benefits is for adding stats on courses that are not my home course. After a round on my home course I will, generally speaking, be able to recall every shot & I tended to track my own stats in a spreadsheet. I can't do this so easily on a course I've played for the first time.

Now I can pull my numbers on any course I play & start building a more rounded picture of my game.

As people have mentioned over time it will start to give some more meaningful numbers on my clubs. Yes, I have a reasonable understanding now of how far I hit each club but am as guilty as all other golfers in overestimating my distances.

Maybe it won't make me a better golfer, certainly lessons would be better for technique, but I'm a bit of a maths nerd, like stats & love golf so its a good combo for me.

One thing I can see from it already is that I'm more likely to hit close from 120 yrds than 90 yrds, which makes me think more in terms of club chase to get into the scoring zone.

I'm hoping that there will be more insights going forwards, but I certainly don't think it's going to hurt my game having more information to work with.

Thanks space, after your input I really think I will get it. Now that I'm playing more away courses I think it will b worth it.

What I think I will find most useful is actual club distances although I think I know mine fairly well and best layup distances.

Thanks again

• Advertisement

One other thing... You can also compare your underwhelming game golf stats to those that some pros are hitting :D

You get numbers for GMac, Westwood & Furyk every time they put up a round on it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thanks space, after your input I really think I will get it. Now that I'm playing more away courses I think it will b worth it.

What I think I will find most useful is actual club distances although I think I know mine fairly well and best layup distances.

Thanks again

Get it, it's cool, this is what your drive stats will look like after 20 rounds of winter plugging off the tee!

30ifeaf.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Have gamegolf, but this looks similar but better!

https://arccosgolf.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lance Murdock

$400. Yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Edmundy

Some useful playing stats....................

A scratch golfer hits an average of 12 greens in regulation, 81% of the fairways, has 29.0 putts, 3.2 birdies per round and 11.8 pars per round.

A golfer that averages a score of 85 hits 5 greens in regulation, 46% of fairways, has 33.7 total putts, 0.8 birdies per round, and 6.6 pars.

A golfer that averages a score of 100 hits 0 greens in regulation, 11% of fairways, has 38.3 putts, 0 birdies, and 1.3 pars.

So the biggest differences are greens in regulation, fairways and putts. In other words, everything! The easiest shots to shave off your score are found in the short game. Chipping, pitching, and putting don't require tremendous swing speed or physical ability. Plus, they can be practiced in your back yard or living room. Having a reliable tee shot that lands in the fairway is important as well. Finding the short grass off the tee is much more important than distance, especially for high handicappers.

• Advertisement

Is there anyway to add shots to a hole that you forgot to tag and the device never picked up on. Forgot to tag on all the par 3's today :/

Is there anyway to add shots to a hole that you forgot to tag and the device never picked up on. Forgot to tag on all the par 3's today :/

When you click on any shot on a hole it should open up a couple of options such as add penalty, delete shot, add shot.

Pick add shot, and it'll ask you to select a club. You can move the position of the shot around from there

Ha ha, was wondering on such a low round! Tagging takes a few rounds to get used to, always better to double tag if you're not sure, like SC pointed out you can amend when you get home. Rarely miss a tag now...

Thanks lads...actually had to click add hole on the score card and work from there. Couldn't just amend hole cause it hadn't detected and shots on the hole.

Jim's round from The Masters Par 3 contest yesterday...

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/jmfloop/round/14938

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

slave1 wrote: »
    Jim's round from The Masters Par 3 contest yesterday...

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/jmfloop/round/14938

I;m loving seeing all these Game Golf links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Seen a couple of these for sale on adverts. Makes me wonder why there being sold. Is it a gimic you play with for a while and then throw there.
    Anyone have any negative to say about this device?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Seen a couple of these for sale on adverts. Makes me wonder why there being sold. Is it a gimic you play with for a while and then throw there.
    Anyone have any negative to say about this device?

I got it for Christmas from my siblings as they hadn't a clue what to get me and being into golf and computers it seemed like a good idea for them. For me havng a very high handicap I could hit one shot 150yards and the next 20 with the same club. Because of that I wouldn't get any benefit from it. But, if you are even relatively consistent I can see the advantage. I did get good stats about my misses, usually miss left (a lot more than I thought), so I still got good use from it.

Mine is currently one of the ones on adverts, mainly because I could do with the money for lessons as at my level the benefit of lessons outweighs the stats as I can't act upon the stats until I'm better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Joined the GG club and will play first round tomorrow.

I'm in mid lesson/drill stuff at moment so it's gonna be shocking to see some of the distances.

One thing that I don't like is that shot distance is so generalised. We all general know our iron distances. If I fade a 6 iron into a green that distance gets included in the average distance. You could have 15yd difference between a draw and a fade. So how does that help anyone.

It does have a lot of merit with short game and scrambling stats, but I'd be thinking they will bring out another model soon enough. Maybe you could record shot shapes after the round and have separate distances for each shape. So I'm holding off for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

One thing that I don't like is that shot distance is so generalised. We all general know our iron distances. If I fade a 6 iron into a green that distance gets included in the average distance. You could have 15yd difference between a draw and a fade. So how does that help anyone.

It does have a lot of merit with short game and scrambling stats, but I'd be thinking they will bring out another model soon enough. Maybe you could record shot shapes after the round and have separate distances for each shape. So I'm holding off for the moment.

You aren't going to have a 15 yard difference on a draw and a fade on an iron with both equally good strikes.

It's when you wipe a fade with the open face the distance is lost. A fade should have a closed face, thereby no distance lost due to loft.

...but I'd be thinking they will bring out another model soon enough...

Doubt they need to do anything with the physical device, any improvements will be back-end software from your PC or App, they've already made changes in the short time I've been using it...

You aren't going to have a 15 yard difference on a draw and a fade on an iron with both equally good strikes.

It's when you wipe a fade with the open face the distance is lost. A fade should have a closed face, thereby no distance lost due to loft.

The 15yds is not really the point. The point is you can't measure a draw versus a fade.
    What do you mean by wipe a fade? Over fading, slicing maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

The 15yds is not really the point. The point is you can't measure a draw versus a fade.
    What do you mean by wipe a fade? Over fading, slicing maybe.

I just mean one golfer might hit a draw as a stock shot, and his fade he doesn't have as good impact dynamics, and the club is delofted, and the face more open. Then you just have to put that information in manually I suppose and use it when club choice.

Whereas if one player hits the exact same numbers for a draw and a fade, he will know that there isn't too much difference, if any for the distance, and his distance control will be constant.

No machine will measure your draw or fade for you on the course, you only have distances and post game notes.

I think this software is totally overrated when you can do the same thing with an iphone, yes more work tapping a button but you do it while checking your distance on the device, so no real time lost.

Just want to say how great their customer service is. Emailed them less than an hour ago after noticing the clip on my device had got loose as if spring had gone in it. Wasn't expecting an email until tomorrow at the earliest. However have had a conversation of 6 emails with a guy and replacement will be in post in morning. An easy realible customer services is great and often very hard found.

Really impressed with them hense dropping a line here to let everyone know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Why should a fade have a closed face? I presume you mean closed to target. It should be open to path otherwise it will draw!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

Just want to say how great their customer service is. Emailed them less than an hour ago after noticing the clip on my device had got loose as if spring had gone in it. Wasn't expecting an email until tomorrow at the earliest. However have had a conversation of 6 emails with a guy and replacement will be in post in morning. An easy realible customer services is great and often very hard found.

Really impressed with them hense dropping a line here to let everyone know :)

They are brilliant in fairness. Sent out replacement driver sensor for my tag. Can't say enough about their customer service.

GG have now lauched a free GPS app for real time use...

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

slave1 wrote: »
    GG have now lauched a free GPS app for real time use...

Are the use of apps banned in many golf clubs? I know my golf club have them banned :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Sorry might be a stupid question but what happens when you by a second hand game golf, do you set up a new account or does a specific account go with the game golf?

Also in theory could the game golf be used on two separate accounts?

Advertisement