Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Golf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,840 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    This is down to 90 in Mcguirks, have gift tokens from xmas, hmmm!
    Is it a pain in the arse to set-up? Hard to remember to tag on course? Where do you wear it? Do the tags stay on the clubs or fall off?
    Am using a garmin x40 at the moment, but it fails to register strikes 5% of the time. Is game golf very accurate?
    I'm very temped to buy this.

easy to set up, wear it on your belt/hip
    you get used to tagging. if you then think you forgot, take a look at it and there is a green light to tell you you tagged within the last minute
    if you tag twice, no big deal, you can delete the extra shot on the pc
    so far all my tags have stayed in nice and snug
    I would say most of my shots have been accurate to within a few yards at worst
    90 quid is a great price.

I have noticed sometimes it can be missing shots though when you get it to the pc. then you realise the shot might be there but on another hole!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Seve OB wrote: »

I have noticed sometimes it can be missing shots though when you get it to the pc. then you realise the shot might be there but on another hole!!!
    So, can you tidy things up when you get back to the PC, as in, edit anything you need to, to get a true representation of the round?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Would be interesting to see how many original game golfers are still using it.

I think it was the first generation - anything the interfered wit shot routine was not a long term solution.

Arccos have tried to do it with phone - but again phone needs to be close.

You'd imagine next generation will jut be swing and info linked to watch / phone - no tagging.

But cheap price. But you rarely see vlogers using it now - indicating that fad is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Would be interesting to see how many original game golfers are still using it.

I think it was the first generation - anything the interfered wit shot routine was not a long term solution.

Arccos have tried to do it with phone - but again phone needs to be close.

You'd imagine next generation will jut be swing and info linked to watch / phone - no tagging.

But cheap price. But you rarely see vlogers using it now - indicating that fad is gone.

Yes, Mark Crossfield was using it a lot in the earlier part of last year, but in his last 4 or 5 vlogs I haven't seen it.
    But I love tech, and love golf, any excuse to combine the 2.
    Im sold on it, gonna pop down to Mcguirks later.:cool:

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    So, can you tidy things up when you get back to the PC, as in, edit anything you need to, to get a true representation of the round?

pretty much yes you can fix it all up
    but I need to spend more time on it to understand it better

interesting though.... I don't seem to miss as much fairways as I thought I did.. but I have been playing better lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

There's a reason why it's so cheap now and why golfers like Crossfield were using it in the first place and are now not using it.

Anything that acts as a distraction to the process of visualising and executing the shot to the best of your current ability is a waste of time and money imo.

Gamegolf fits that bill and is just a thechie and nerdy gimmick and if (and that a big "if"), you are serious about your golf, it (gamegolf) will tell you nothing about your game that you don't already know or that any free stats app can help you identify.
    Use a free app to track your stats and use the money you would have otherwise wasted on Gamegolf on getting lessons on the areas that are identified by the stats you correlate using the free app.

End.
    Rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

There's a reason why it's so cheap now and why golfers like Crossfield were using it in the first place and are now not using it.

Anything that acts as a distraction to the process of visualising and executing the shot to the best of your current ability is a waste of time and money imo.

Gamegolf fits that bill and is just a thechie and nerdy gimmick and if (and that a big "if"), you are serious about your golf, it (gamegolf) will tell you nothing about your game that you don't already know or that any free stats app can help you identify.
    Use a free app to track your stats and use the money you would have otherwise wasted on Gamegolf on getting lessons on the areas that are identified by the stats you correlate using the free app.

End.
    Rant.

Look I think it is a terrible product - but a bit of fun.

I'd be more against anything taking you out of a natural shot routine .

So not for me.

It is cheap - you'd spend more on a night out.

The watches/phone will do it all for you in next few years. We are just there.

If people like tech they like it. But this is selling off a poor product.
    Like tapping something for a tap in on a green seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

No, when I click on Insights there is a scoring tab, last on the right
    Strokes gained is first tab

alx, only got mine in October so have been building up a few rounds to get an idea of whats goin on. Only problem is most of the rounds have been 14 or 15 holes over the last 2 months so might not be good when it comes to break down my score so I might need to figure out how to exclude them from scoring stats

Just noticed there it's telling me I even had a hole in one in Corballis :rolleyes:

Ah OK, the scoring tab, is your average over par for each hole played. So 0.85 means your averaging 0.85 over par per hole. If you go to Select Category, you can see your average score on par 3/4/5 and some other bits.

In relation to the above weird scores, have you been reviewing your rounds and embellished them as you go. I occasionally will miss a tag or double tag so you have to update the round with those details.

When I'm playing now I usually bring a second card with me to keep my score on. And I'll usually mark a note on the flag position on each green on my card (BR for back right, etc...)

Alx, I'm still happy & use mine. Though I haven't used it over the winter if I'm playing less than 18 holes.

I still instinctively move my clubs to my belt to tag even though I'm not wearing the device, its become a habit now.

I'd be more against anything taking you out of a natural shot routine .

Have to disagree lads, it's far from a distraction, takes a second and as Space says
    I still instinctively move my clubs to my belt to tag even though I'm not wearing the device, its become a habit now.

End.
    Rant.
    Look I think it is a terrible product - but a bit of fun.

It is cheap - you'd spend more on a night out.

The watches/phone will do it all for you in next few years. We are just there.

If people like tech they like it. But this is selling off a poor product.
    Like tapping something for a tap in on a green seriously.

Hoof, I think Fix understand it. It's a gimmick, a gadget. It is not going to make your game any worse, but it is not going to turn you into an expert. At best, it is a bit of fun, a big boys toy and it can actually give you some feedback on your game. Feedback ain't worth a damn unless you act on it of course and yes Hoof, lessons are always worth getting.

Regarding apps, whether free or not. I can't abide anything like that on the phone. much more awkward to use, screen timeouts, messages popping up, battery running low, calls coming in. Sure, they work for some people, just not for me. I prefer one device, one job.

Look at it another way. A runner. Goes our around the block at 7pm. Gets back at 8 (Bollixed, bent over double, out of breath, heart pounding). Does he really need a GPS watch to tell him it tool him an hour to run 10km, show him a map of where he just went and let him know his heart rate is up at 180? Same craic for a cyclist. Nope, not needed, but it is fun to use, play with and analyse.

Golfers are spoilt with all the gadgets we can play with

Ah OK, the scoring tab, is your average over par for each hole played. So 0.85 means your averaging 0.85 over par per hole. If you go to Select Category, you can see your average score on par 3/4/5 and some other bits.

In relation to the above weird scores, have you been reviewing your rounds and embellished them as you go. I occasionally will miss a tag or double tag so you have to update the round with those details.

Cheers, that makes sense. Yes I have gone through each round and adjusted missed tags, added penalties etc. I have spotted though that if I pickup a ball (or don't find my drive) then it seems to consider it a hole out.

It says
    GAME GOLF automatically filters out punch shots and poorly hit shots to calculate the typical distance for each club, provided that you have recorded multiple shots with that particular club. A club’s typical distance represents the distance a full swing would yield under typical conditions.

I have a feeling that it is counting all my shots, so am not getting a true view yet. Eg, I hit a 5 iron shorter than a 7! I obviously need to rack up more hits etc. But when it comes to something like my PW, I might use it 50% of the time around the green and 50% hitting full shots, so will be interesting to see how that filters when I stack up more hits.

I think I need to figure out how to omit certain holes/shots from stats. Do you know how to do that?

• Advertisement

Have to disagree lads, it's far from a distraction, takes a second and as Space says

Hoof, I think Fix understand it. It's a gimmick, a gadget. It is not going to make your game any worse, but it is not going to turn you into an expert. At best, it is a bit of fun, a big boys toy and it can actually give you some feedback on your game. Feedback ain't worth a damn unless you act on it of course and yes Hoof, lessons are always worth getting.

Regarding apps, whether free or not. I can't abide anything like that on the phone. much more awkward to use, screen timeouts, messages popping up, battery running low, calls coming in. Sure, they work for some people, just not for me. I prefer one device, one job.

Look at it another way. A runner. Goes our around the block at 7pm. Gets back at 8 (Bollixed, bent over double, out of breath, heart pounding). Does he really need a GPS watch to tell him it tool him an hour to run 10km, show him a map of where he just went and let him know his heart rate is up at 180? Same craic for a cyclist. Nope, not needed, but it is fun to use, play with and analyse.

Golfers are spoilt with all the gadgets we can play with
    I think it's a given that it's an individuals prerogative to dabble in gadgets etc. if that's what they want to do, no one is arguing to the contrary on that point.
    The point here in this case is the USP of gamegolf claims it's an easy to use device for correlating stats, I'd argue it's misleading in that claim and it's far more time consuming than a basic stats app on your phone like golfshot or as it's now named shotzoom, I've used golfshot for the last 3+ years and it takes no more than 2 mins post round to input the info, and the stats are correlated and displayed in a meaningful manner, unlike gamegolf, where the end user is inevitably bambozzoled by irrelevant stats.

Final point, I've watched countless promos for gamegolf incl Crossfields and IMO the product only serves to act as a distraction and is essentially a waste of time that could be better spent actually physically practicing.

Horses for courses I guess.

but it is not a distraction and takes absolutely no time. I've just installed golfshot on my phone so will endeavor to use this on a round soon for comparison

if you want to analyses your info, you will spend as long as you like doing so, no matter what the platform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Here's my thoughts on Game Golf having used it for ~18 months.

- There is absolutely no impact to pre-shot routine. It becomes second nature and takes so little time that there is no distraction. My playing partners didn't even know I was using it until I told them.

- The odd time you miss a tag or double tag is easy to clean up on the PC later.

Where it has helped my game
    - I understand my short iron distances much better now than before I starting using it. I rarely miss short or long now with 8-iron or less in my hand

- I know my strengths and can play to them. Game Golf has taught me that I'm more accurate between 100-130yds than I am between 80 and 100yds. So that is my layup now on par 5's.

- I also understand my weaknesses better. When I miss the fairway left I tend to score worse than when I miss right. So I've made swing changes to try to remove the left miss off the tee.

- I understand my misses better so I can make decisions for better course management. It has helped me to determine which holes at my home course I should attack and which I should play more conservatively.

I believe Game Golf has help me become a more consistent scorer as I have taken the knowledge from the stats and amended how I play certain holes. Of course you could do all of this without Game Golf but to dismiss it as toy is doing it a disservice.

Senecio wrote: »
    - I understand my misses better.

Jaysus, I can't understand my missus half the time, but sure hey, that's women for ya :D

Ah no seriously, that's a good report. Has your scoring improved as a result of the changes you made to your game?

I'd have to listen to the missus before I could even try to understand her.

It has made my scoring more consistent. My bad rounds are 30-33 pts when they used to be 26-29 pts. From a handicap perspective I'm probably only down 0.5 of a stroke from when I started reading it but that's the problem with Cat A golf. Even 33pts is a missed buffer! Even without a significant handicap reduction I can honestly say that I enjoy my golf more now that I have the ability to keep the big numbers off the card. Just checked my stats there. Out of 22 qualifying rounds my worst score in 2016 was 31pts. happy with that.

Pretty good.
    I had a run like that in 2015. Pretty much worst round was about 30 and nearly always inside the buffer. Playing consistent decent golf is much better than a good game this week and muck for the next 3....... as I did in 2016 :(

Cheers, that makes sense. Yes I have gone through each round and adjusted missed tags, added penalties etc. I have spotted though that if I pickup a ball (or don't find my drive) then it seems to consider it a hole out.

It says

I have a feeling that it is counting all my shots, so am not getting a true view yet. Eg, I hit a 5 iron shorter than a 7! I obviously need to rack up more hits etc. But when it comes to something like my PW, I might use it 50% of the time around the green and 50% hitting full shots, so will be interesting to see how that filters when I stack up more hits.

I think I need to figure out how to omit certain holes/shots from stats. Do you know how to do that?

It will ultimately drop the shots when you've built up a big enough database Seve.

se81du.png

You can see its showing my shortest, longest & typical here & all the grey dots are shots with the clubs.

I think when you review on the website it gives short, typical & long marks for full shots

• Registered Users Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

On another note has anyone ever used the zepp 2? Played with a guy earlier who swears by it!

Combined with the app gives info like swing plane and club head speed!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I think it's a given that it's an individuals prerogative to dabble in gadgets etc. if that's what they want to do, no one is arguing to the contrary on that point.
    The point here in this case is the USP of gamegolf claims it's an easy to use device for correlating stats, I'd argue it's misleading in that claim and it's far more time consuming than a basic stats app on your phone like golfshot or as it's now named shotzoom, I've used golfshot for the last 3+ years and it takes no more than 2 mins post round to input the info, and the stats are correlated and displayed in a meaningful manner, unlike gamegolf, where the end user is inevitably bambozzoled by irrelevant stats.

Final point, I've watched countless promos for gamegolf incl Crossfields and IMO the product only serves to act as a distraction and is essentially a waste of time that could be better spent actually physically practicing.

Horses for courses I guess.

OK so I tried golfshot yesterday and got pissed off with it on the first hole. You have to muck around with it on every shot. So even if you got it down to a fine art, that's going to take at least 30 seconds on every shot by the time you get it out of your bag, unlock the screen bring the app up and key in the info.

Or am I doing it wrong?

OK so I tried golfshot yesterday and got pissed off with it on the first hole. You have to muck around with it on every shot. So even if you got it down to a fine art, that's going to take at least 30 seconds on every shot by the time you get it out of your bag, unlock the screen bring the app up and key in the info.

Or am I doing it wrong?

Yup, wait until after the round to input all the info.
    There is a bit of getting used to the interface, but play around with it (golfshot app) and once you become familiar with it you'll be able to input the all the 18 hole info in just a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

There is a bit of getting used to the interface, but play around with it (golfshot app) and once you become familiar with it you'll be able to input the all the 18 hole info in just a few minutes.

I don't see how the version I was using does the same as game golf. For example it will not tell you how far you hit each club. It will also not tell you where you tend to miss with a club bar your tee shot.

alxmorgan wrote: »
    I don't see how the version I was using does the same as game golf. For example it will not tell you how far you hit each club. It will also not tell you where you tend to miss with a club bar your tee shot.

It does do the same as GG up to a point, and I'd argue that that point is more than sufficient.

Using GG to figure out your yardages isn't a good idea IMO as the environment conditions change for each shot recorded by GG so can't by definition be accurate, if you want to know your yardages for each club (which BTW don't change much), go for a launch monitor session with an experienced pro and you'll have all your yardages for your full set within an hour as opposed to potentially months with GG in order to get a decent sample size.

Regarding your misses, haven't you got a pair of eyes?, I think everybody has an idea of their misses and weak parts of their games, it's just some people aren't aware that they know.

Golf is a fluid game and your miss can change from, day to day, week to week, etc. etc. and you have to be able to mentally adapt to the current scenario.

Can GG read you current miss and give an appropriate fix?, no you have to do that yourself and adapt to the current conditions, anything that acts as another layer of thought between seeing the shot and playing is IMO an unnecessary distraction and over complicating the process of visualising the shot and playing the best shot you can at any given moment, golf is more of an art than a science.

So it's nothing like Game golf and not comparative in any sense. I've no issue with that and if it works for you that's fine.

I went in after and finished my round on it and you are right, it does not take more than a few minutes to input all your info, but it tracks absolutely nothing about your game. Maybe it does if you can be arsed playing with it on every shot, but that would take up way to much time and be a total distraction on your game.

But to compare it and consider it as an alternative to Game Golf is just wrong. In actual fact, I have a Garmin Approach G6 and it does everything that Golfshot appears to do. Game Golf is a completely different beast.
    Can GG read you current miss and give an appropriate fix?, no you have to do that yourself and adapt to the current conditions.

Never said it did, but then again, can Golf shot?..... nope it can't either, and I wouldn't expect it to.

I'm quite happy so far with my Game Golf and as I've said before, its a toy, a gadget and a bit of fun. It won't fix your game, but it can give you some good insight, that if you analysed, can contribute to showing you areas you need to work on.

Have to agree with Seve here Hoof. I have Golfshot on my phone and its extremely crude compared to GameGolf. I don't think there is any reasonable comparison.

You're really arguing points & claims that no-one is making. No-one is claiming that GameGolf is going to fix your game or tell you how to play in specific conditions (though it will let you analyse your distances from the rough vs fairway which in theory should help with club selection). It is a gadget that will let you, if you want to, gain a more in-depth analysis of your game, and hopefully gain some insights into your strengths & weaknesses.

I also really like the Strokes gained stat they've added. I can compare different areas of my game to different handicap levels & see where I need to focus in if I want to bring my handicap lower (I'm going to pre-empt your point back here that everyone knows the areas of their game they need to work on & agree that they generally do, but why have less info if I can have more)

Also as mentioned previously I can get a better understanding of my lay up distances on longer holes that will improve my odds of hitting a green.

In terms of distraction from visualisation, it has absolutely zero impact to my mind. It doesn't take me out of the moment or distract me at all. If such an insignificant effort took me out of concentration on my game, then I'd be concerned about my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

I'm with the GG lads here.

I used GolfShot and when I got GG I didn't go back to Golfshot at all. I was manually putting in each shot on GS after a round. With GG you just plug it in. I actually forget I have the device on my belt as I just automatically tag each club now.

When using the interface it's pretty cool to relive the round you've just had. Golfshot felt more like a chore and there wasn't much more to it than that.

The argument about GG taking too much time out of your pre-shot routine is complete hogwash.

In my opinion there isn't even an argument here which is the better device for tracking your rounds.

So it's nothing like Game golf and not comparative in any sense. I've no issue with that and if it works for you that's fine.

I went in after and finished my round on it and you are right, it does not take more than a few minutes to input all your info, but it tracks absolutely nothing about your game. Maybe it does if you can be arsed playing with it on every shot, but that would take up way to much time and be a total distraction on your game.

But to compare it and consider it as an alternative to Game Golf is just wrong. In actual fact, I have a Garmin Approach G6 and it does everything that Golfshot appears to do. Game Golf is a completely different beast.

Never said it did, but then again, can Golf shot?..... nope it can't either, and I wouldn't expect it to.

I'm quite happy so far with my Game Golf and as I've said before, its a toy, a gadget and a bit of fun. It won't fix your game, but it can give you some good insight, that if you analysed, can contribute to showing you areas you need to work on.
    Have to agree with Seve here Hoof. I have Golfshot on my phone and its extremely crude compared to GameGolf. I don't think there is any reasonable comparison.

You're really arguing points & claims that no-one is making. No-one is claiming that GameGolf is going to fix your game or tell you how to play in specific conditions (though it will let you analyse your distances from the rough vs fairway which in theory should help with club selection). It is a gadget that will let you, if you want to, gain a more in-depth analysis of your game, and hopefully gain some insights into your strengths & weaknesses.

I also really like the Strokes gained stat they've added. I can compare different areas of my game to different handicap levels & see where I need to focus in if I want to bring my handicap lower (I'm going to pre-empt your point back here that everyone knows the areas of their game they need to work on & agree that they generally do, but why have less info if I can have more)

Also as mentioned previously I can get a better understanding of my lay up distances on longer holes that will improve my odds of hitting a green.

In terms of distraction from visualisation, it has absolutely zero impact to my mind. It doesn't take me out of the moment or distract me at all. If such an insignificant effort took me out of concentration on my game, then I'd be concerned about my mind!
    the lawman wrote: »
    I'm with the GG lads here.

I used GolfShot and when I got GG I didn't go back to Golfshot at all. I was manually putting in each shot on GS after a round. With GG you just plug it in. I actually forget I have the device on my belt as I just automatically tag each club now.

When using the interface it's pretty cool to relive the round you've just had. Golfshot felt more like a chore and there wasn't much more to it than that.

The argument about GG taking too much time out of your pre-shot routine is complete hogwash.

In my opinion there isn't even an argument here which is the better device for tracking your rounds.
    Horses for courses lads, whatever works for ye!.

So a couple of weeks ago i forgot to take my game golf off my belt. as i got home jumped out of the car and the belt clip got caught in the seatbelt, snapped off :(

i was able to put it back in place, but it's broken and loose, so last week didn't want to risk loosing it by wearing it on my belt. a very positive for game golf here as i played a full round with it in my arse pocket, didn't take it out once and she still tracked my whole round.

anyway, i had briefly though that i had seen a few people here compliment them on their after sales service, so dropped them an email late Wednesday night. Today a full replacement back arrived in the post. Fantastic

Absolutely fantastic customer service. I lost two tags within the first 3rounds of using mine because the grips I had were a funny size. They sent replacements out in a couple of days with a strip of double sided tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

Outstanding customer service - sending me replacement belt clip this week as mine broke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

jtown wrote: »
    Outstanding customer service - sending me replacement belt clip this week as mine broke.

So it gets even better!!

Sent me out the belt clip and got it yesterday, I changed it and tired to turn it on after I put the new one on it, couple of bits (spring and some other small bit) fell out of it when I unscrewed it and when I put back the old one back on it wasn't turning on at all. DISASTER!

So got onto their support team and guess what!

They are dispatching a new device to me..

The best customer service I have ever come across. ;););)

Advertisement