Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I got my copy from the bargain bin in Dixons. There was a load of copies, they were selling them off for a couple of quid each

The PAL version goes for at least 130 quid minimum on ebay now. Jap ones are cheaper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,619 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I hate desert strike.

It was the first game I ever rented. I hardly played it because my dad got addicted. He was swearing so much at the game that my mam banned us from renting games ever again.

Still love the series despite that! :)

That's gas, it was the first game I rented too! From my local Advanced Vision.

I remember myself and my dad couldn't figure out what button you press to lower the winch :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,991 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was my first introduction to tank controls so took a while for my young mind to figure out.

It did however make sure I had no issues with Resident Evil when I started playing those games.

Master of the Universe

I've played every Strike game to death since they first came out and it has never once occurred to me that they would be considered tank controls :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Firefox11 wrote: »
    I would love to get myself a copy of burning rangers but it ain't cheap. In the meantime I just got myself a PC Engine Core Grafx. Pics coming soon!

Saturn prices are doolally! I'm missing in the hunt, keio 2, parodius, darius and street fighter collection. But they're so dear now that it's a case of the long finger. Like, a 100 meter long finger :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Actually was not expecting the PC Engine this to arrive this morning but it has!

20190305-124736.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So,

Got a Retron HD this morning, cheap as chips, €30 shipped from Adverts

I believe the image quality isn't that hot, but we'll give it a shot.

I thought I didn't have too many NES games, mostly Famicom, but a quick reccy proved that wrong, I've a good few there.

Also, a slightly not working NES Advantage, apparently one of the buttons needs attention, which makes me think of a loose wire, maybe a ground issue, I'll have a look later.
    It'll be interesting to compare it to the Retrobit modern reproduction, which I am currently using with the NES and Famicom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It was my first introduction to tank controls so took a while for my young mind to figure out.

It did however make sure I had no issues with Resident Evil when I started playing those games.

Tank controls are second nature to me nowadays.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    I've played every Strike game to death since they first came out and it has never once occurred to me that they would be considered tank controls :eek:

I think they're enabled by default, but as a child I remember switching the controls to be directionally emphasised (if that's a term) where up was 'Up', down was 'Down' so on and so forth.

But nowadays I much prefer the tank controls.
    The first time I ever experienced a tank control game was one of the first, if not THE first, games that did it (correct me if I'm wrong) - Combat on Atari 2600, where in one of the games you play as, of course, a tank, and the controls are exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Just got the new 8bitdo wireless Megadrive controller from Amazon - works great !
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HB1XFQW/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Says that ti does not ship to Ireland, but it did when I pre-ordered it !

Edit - I can also use it with my RetronN 5 and I think with my Switch :D

8bitdo-megadrive.png

Master of the Universe

Can't believe this one passed me by, I've been hoping for a very long time that 8bitdo were going to do one of these - seem to have snuck it out without me noticing - instabuy!

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Can't believe this one passed me by, I've been hoping for a very long time that 8bitdo were going to do one of these - seem to have snuck it out without me noticing - instabuy!

Yeah - I think I just happened to see it at the time as a pre-order on Amazon.
    I placed my pre-order at end of January: Mon, 28 Jan, 23:38 to be exact !

What's interesting is that on the little manual that came with it, it says you need to connect to the switch with the USB cable to use it with the switch - here's the PDF, but on the website, it shows it as a wireless connection to the switch: Linky

Edit: Ahhh... there is an M30 2.4 GHz and an M30 (I have the 2.4 GHz one so will only work wirelessly with the megadrive) where as the M30 seems to be bluetooth: Linky

Edit again: In order to use the Bluetooth one with the megadrive you'd need to also but the Genesis Retro Receiver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Whats the quality of it like deadl0ck? I was thinking of grabbing 2 of these. The 8bitdo SNES controller is great

Whats the quality of it like deadl0ck? I was thinking of grabbing 2 of these. The 8bitdo SNES controller is great
    I think it's pretty good - just been using it with my Retron5 and I really like it (although the Retron5 controller is so ****e anything would be better than it).
    It's works perfectly with my megadrive also - it's really nice to have a wireless controller to play it with.

Be aware that this one is the 2.4GHz one and will not work as a bluetooth controller (see my past few posts)

Picked up a bunch of stuff today from a totally sound bloke, over the moon to play these all again :) Almost squeezed a raid in too, but not a bad saturday gameswise!

haulage.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Great stuff. Looking forward to some pics from testing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭BGOllie

nice . what did you get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

deadl0ck wrote: »
    What's interesting is that on the little manual that came with it, it says you need to connect to the switch with the USB cable to use it with the switch - here's the PDF, but on the website, it shows it as a wireless connection to the switch: Linky

Edit: Ahhh... there is an M30 2.4 GHz and an M30 (I have the 2.4 GHz one so will only work wirelessly with the megadrive) where as the M30 seems to be bluetooth: Linky

Edit again: In order to use the Bluetooth one with the megadrive you'd need to also but the Genesis Retro Receiver
    So is it the M30 to work with the Switch? Sorry I'm so confused

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭geotrig

beejee wrote: »
    Picked up a bunch of stuff today from a totally sound bloke, over the moon to play these all again :) Almost squeezed a raid in too, but not a bad saturday gameswise!

haulage.jpg

anything interesting ?

geotrig wrote: »
    anything interesting ?

Oh plenty :) I still have to test and tweak some things for sync issues etc, which I can't do until I'm home. Got distracted in hunting for another haul of Sega stuff :)

The lot in the picture above includes bubble bobble, robocop, bad dudes (my original one was broken, so happy days), 3 wonders, a gigantic 3 billion in 1 circuit board/mini computer, hmmm...shinobi too? Bunch of others, can't remember right now.

Once I get a free moment I'll do proper testing and throw up a few pics :)

Oh and a Street fighter 1.

• Advertisement

One of the things I picked up was a game elf. Never used one of these multi boards before. Tested a few games, really hit and miss, as expected. Turtles music is very weak, sunset riders is suffering a bit in music too. Others are too slow to even bother.

But, surprisingly, some are (as close as I can tell,) running perfect! Avp is 100%, shadow over mystara 100%, alpha 3, progear. Not bad! Even for those couple games it's well worth it.

dungeons.jpg

predator.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Oh and a Street fighter 1.

Must be worth a few quid

Must be worth a few quid

Meh, about 160 ish and overpriced at that if you ask me, nice novelty to have in a collection but crappy game for the most part.... There's a reason people play sf2 :lol:

Use that multi to top up the fire Beejee :lol:

geotrig wrote: »
    Use that multi to top up the fire Beejee :lol:

Be careful though those capacitors can take your eye out when they pop

So I got around to testing some stuff this evening. Theres still stuff from the last lot I picked up, and the previous lot before that too (still haven't tested star wars for instance, and may need a vector monitor?)

Below is a boot bubble bobble and a fantastic condition bad dudes. All perfect, that bubble bobble music is the biz :) And president Ronnie is still in trouble!

DSC-1078.jpg

DSC-1079.jpg

DSC-1080.jpg

Next I went through a boot tetris and a WWF superstars. Tetris is 100%, having some kind of sound issue with WWF but fully playable, so that's getting thrown on the "to-do" pile. Royal rumble is a great mode :)

DSC-1082.jpg

DSC-1083.jpg

DSC-1084.jpg

Next up I tried a double dragon and (pristine condition) Robocop. Robocop is 100%, its funny how some games have music come on straight away, even before the screen lights up. Instantly recognisable, they did a good job of the theme music from film, and love the bonus missions with the target practice like in the film too :)

Double Dragon, not so good news, only a black screen. Fortunately, I have a couple more of them lying around from another pickup (untested), so at least I have plenty of spare parts.

Instead of a black screen of double dragon, heres a pic of shinobi instead, working 100% :) Remember having it on the commodore, still great!

And that's that! I'll test more soon.

DSC-1086.jpg

DSC-1087.jpg

DSC-1093.jpg

One last thing I'll add; its incredibly difficult to get good pictures of a crt. And I suppose its doubly difficult with the bezel screen for focus. But these games look much, much better in person. As Attenborough might say, "a creature at home in its natural environment" :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

One last thing I'll add; its incredibly difficult to get good pictures of a crt. And I suppose its doubly difficult with the bezel screen for focus. But these games look much, much better in person. As Attenborough might say, "a creature at home in its natural environment" :P

Not sure I agree with that. Some folks round here were very good at getting pics of crts. If you can't see those sexy scan lines then you're too far away. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement