Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

beejee wrote: »
    Some great games in there. Everything is original except for one which I just found out, rainbow islands. Doh! Salamander, windjammers, magician lord, cyber lip, irem blade master (? don't know this game, but its an m72 board), double dragon 2, toki, sega tetris, thundercross. unknown taito board, irem image fight. Some other sega stuff, I cant remember, but its test city for all these, I'll be happy if half them are working :)

DSC-1093.jpg

be so embarrissing to have a bootleg rainbow islands, you should sell that one to me immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

geotrig wrote: »
    I'm jealous even back In the days I bought more I didn't /wouldn't have got as many good games .****it after near on 20 years later I still haven't picked up some games from my original wants list.... Getting 2 games would be like heaven.. you must have died and gone to heaven.

I've been lucky so far, but it takes a lot of determination to find this stuff too. Still, I haven't tested anything yet so it could be just a bunch of junk, you never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭geotrig

I've been lucky so far, but it takes a lot of determination free funds to find this stuff too. Still, I haven't tested anything yet so it could be just a bunch of junk, you never know!

:pac: or in my case ......damn kids :rolleyes:

I'd rather a bunch of junk than nowt at times

:pac: or in my case ......damn kids :rolleyes:

I'd rather a bunch of junk than nowt at times

It's the usual, either cost you time or money. Sometimes you can be screwed for both!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭BGOllie

sounds silly but I'd rather find boards that aren't working because 1:price and 2: I find the repairing/restoring part the most fun aspect of this hobby :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,609 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

BGOllie wrote: »
    sounds silly but I'd rather find boards that aren't working because 1:price and 2: I find the repairing/restoring part the most fun aspect of this hobby :)

I tend to go the other way, I buy working items and they fail on me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

They'll all fail eventually :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,609 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

existential crisis time?

o1s1n wrote: »
    I tend to go the other way, I buy working items and they fail on me :eek:

mind you I stay in the z80, early 68000 (less customs) realm so they're "easier" to fix

Nothing silly there, repairs are something I'm no good at. Wish I had that knowledge!

To me the most fun aspect (equal to playing them) is hunting these things down in the wild. Really cool to explore these long abandoned places and see behind the scenes. Have some fantastic pictures to show when I hang up the hat :)

And a million little stories too. Lots of "characters". Here's one from the other day. I knew machines were expensive back in the day, and obviously profitable too. But check this out: a Sega rally twin cost 28k brand spanking new, more than i thought. But one particular machine I was looking at pulled in 195k in one (long) summer. Wow!

That's what's cool about the hobby, many different angles to it :)

• Advertisement

yeah i believe daytona and sf's did similar no's but also carried premiums to buy so that maybe why sf2 boots are so prominent ...I'm almost certain that sf2 was circa 12k when released and sfiv similar in the arcades ...
    What I chucked into windjammers alone probably bought the op a few copies :pac:

...I'm almost certain that sf2 was circa 12k when released and sfiv similar in the arcades ...
    :pac:

wiki tell me differently so i don't know anymore errr ...I'm going to doubt my own existence soon enough.

jeez. must've been a long summer :D
    on a generous 6 month long summer, 7 days a week, 18 hours open shift day that's a non-stop 1 euros/pounds per minute .

jeez. must've been a long summer :D
    on a generous 6 month long summer, 7 days a week, 18 hours open shift day that's a non-stop 1 euros/pounds per minute .

This particular machine was put on site at a popular place in England, counting end of easter to September (so long summer!). The way the op put it to me, it was making 2pound every 3 odd minutes.

Mad!

If I remember correctly, a killer instinct was circa 8k new. No idea about Street fighter. And a space invaders was running about 1500 punt mid 70's (expensive, but a real money maker)

Had to get straight into these, late dinner instead :P

So, a lot of the boards are very dirty and need a good clean. Did a visual inspection to make sure nothing was obviously wrong. Got the aul multimeter out, and it was more hits than misses so far :)

Sunset riders is 100%. Very cool, one of the best multiplayer games in the arcade if you ask me.

Thundercross is 100% too. One of the dirtiest boards, but fired up no problem.

Streetfighter alpha 3 was a real surprise. I was fully expecting it to be dead, but nope, fired straight up! (forgot how noisy those cartridges can be)

Double dragon 2 the revenge, 100%. Never played this, so looking forward to comparing it with number 1.

DSC-1116.jpg

DSC-1105.jpg

DSC-1106.jpg

DSC-1100.jpg

DSC-1108.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Good news on sunset riders! Some coin eater of a game though!

And then there were a few misses :(

Legend of hero tonma. Its THIS close to working, but no cigar. Full sound, coins up, "playable", but the graphics are garbled. The main character and enemies are coming through fine, but the nonsense background is hiding them most of the time. Its a very dirty board (no sign of corrosion at all, just pure, unadulterated filth!), might just be a case of a good clean, reseat chips etc. Same thing happened with rtype, and a clean was all it needed.

I love the reflective irem labels, each with their own mini artwork, would drive a magpie nuts :P

Second miss was the rainbow islands boot. Its all working, fully playable. But theres an obvious problem with the colours. Tried various voltages but not happening. And that's where I leave it for today, will test more soon (and try fix these two) :)

DSC-1110.jpg

DSC-1112.jpg

DSC-1118.jpg

DSC-1117.jpg

Good news on sunset riders! Some coin eater of a game though!

It was a gamble, it paid off this time :) Just need to get a 4 player cabinet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Wont take much to get that Rainbow Islands working.
    Shame there aren't more arcade boards around.
    Are you just gonna hoard all these or actually use them in cabinets?

cab.png

I always thought the cab artwork for the game was super naff. It would really benefit from some nice artwork in the style of the game.

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »
    Wont take much to get that Rainbow Islands working.
    Shame there aren't more arcade boards around.
    Are you just gonna hoard all these or actually use them in cabinets?

It hopefully wont be anything major for fixes, fingers crossed at least.

As to the question on "hoarding", well, that's the question of the day it seems. Theres a topic over on UKVAC about the state of the hobby, and the hoarding element is a big part of it.

I only learned yesterday of a guy who has a thousand machines. One thousand arcade cabinets. Ridiculous. So for anyone wondering generally where most of them have gone, this guy is buying them up like theres no tomorrow, not making a peep about it either. Im going to assume hes doing the same with games too. And he wont be the only one.

And I also know that he has shifted his attention to Ireland recently. As far as I can make out, I might be only person going around looking to find stuff here. Or more to the point, im the only person openly stating it.

As for me personally hoarding things, I don't have all that much. Ive just made myself very visible, that's all. Im sure there are people even here on this forum that have huge collections of stuff and just keep quiet about it. More than likely hoovered them up years ago when they were being given away. Why aren't they selling anything or making them available?

Ive given away a few boards recently for free, and at knockdown prices. I don't mind that to an extent. But I wont keep anything that I dont intend to actually play and use in a cabinet. If anything, my free time is taken up looking for the last few bits still out there while the goings good. And im just about done. Its a ticking clock. I'm not going to put everything in a box and store it away forever, they'll be used and enjoyed.

I was making posts showing the stuff that Ive found, I thought it was kinda cool. But now its probably looking more like "showing off". So I'll knock it on the head.

No point making myself a target for begrudgery (I mean that in the best way possible!) when there are others being silent in the background sitting on mountains of stuff. Ive noticed with the more serious collectors (who make me look like a chump in comparison), they go deadly quiet and stay that way.

And the last thing I'll say, anything im managing to find after putting in the effort to find, was never on the market/available anyway. Im not shrinking the supply.

Ah its a mess the way its going!

cab.png

I always thought the cab artwork for the game was super naff. It would really benefit from some nice artwork in the style of the game.

Yeah its not the best looking, unfortunately, Never saw one in real life. That cabinet style is quite good though, I think the American cabinet for turtles was the same, possibly others too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Get bass or get out!

7819-C070-2-E1-A-4-A79-A10-D-01185-B8-FF12-C.jpg

I was making posts showing the stuff that Ive found, I thought it was kinda cool. But now its probably looking more like "showing off". So I'll knock it on the head.

No point making myself a target for begrudgery (I mean that in the best way possible!) when there are others being silent in the background sitting on mountains of stuff. Ive noticed with the more serious collectors (who make me look like a chump in comparison), they go deadly quiet and stay that way.

keep posting away dude. I am VERY jealous but I do enjoy seeing stuff being found an rescued :D:D

keep posting away dude. I am VERY jealous but I do enjoy seeing stuff being found an rescued :D:D

Thanks, but my intention isn't to invoke jealousy either. Just want to show the stuff and that it still exists, but Ive probably done it a bit too much so I'll lay off the multiple postings :)

Yeah its not the best looking, unfortunately, Never saw one in real life. That cabinet style is quite good though, I think the American cabinet for turtles was the same, possibly others too

I played one in Spain on holidays when I was young. Not sure of the cab though. Pretty sure that, TMNT and Simpsons all had pretty much the same cab. Big beats with the huge 4 player cp. Would make for a seriously impressive lineup.

As to the question on "hoarding", well, that's the question of the day it seems. Theres a topic over on UKVAC about the state of the hobby, and the hoarding element is a big part of it.

TBH I'm sick of those type of threads and even the bashing "Europeans" for wrecking the hobby element . They never had an issue when sterling was trading well and they were getting good deals from all these places and guess what we all had a part to play in where it has got too... Hoarding has always been an element ,the issue is there is a lot more people looking for a bit of a deminishing supply. Collectors and big collectors have always been there and always will I've always known I couldn't compete with any of them , I know my place in this hobby.

All the forums have had numerous fall outs over the years for all similar reason above you even saw some of the **** 1st hand with that op raid you had ... I personally felt j+ was the worst of them kc had issues near the end , although most on there were good lads but probably had more fallout than most... Even ng lol
    Dude enjoy the boards, you've put the work in and apologise to no one.

I'll still be a cranky basterd when I see people not being careful with voltages.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Keep posting ! Love looking at the stuff you pick up. I sold most of my boards years ago, still have one or two. looking at your stuff certainly makes me want to pick up some again. I bought a cab last week , just a generic woodie, as I felt the need to have something to work on again. I’ll post before and after pics when I’ve fixed it up. only reason I don’t post here as much as I used to is I haven’t really bought bought a lot of retro arcade stuff lately.

I’ve mostly been buying 80s toys, comics and other weird genre stuff the last the while.

also the state of the hobby isn't unique to arcade crap...it across many many hobby collecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I could fit pretty much everything I own in 3 or 4 bin bags. I moved out of most places I lived in 20 minutes. So I definitely don't have a collectors mentality but I love looking at other peoples mad collections of stuff. Looking is enough. Fact is you can play almost anything you want for free if you're desperate.

I look at what other people have collected, particularly with arcade machines, and I marvel at all the work that goes into it. You look at someone like Joel from Last Gamer and he's building entire rooms onto his house mostly by himself, restoring machines, minding his kids and sleeps 4 hours a night cos he was working 18 hour days the rest of his life to be able to afford all the stuff.

I know how hard it is to earn money and people are in their right to spend it how they want. Even if it's spoilt rich people spending a fortune on stuff lads bought years ago at least it's redistributing the wealth a bit. Anyway I'd imagine mindless consumers are spending on cars, watches etc. that require less thought and effort.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement