Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Would be nice alright.

Buying 'Switch' games is incredibly depressing, nothing in the case bar the tiny cart and it some instances you only get half the fecking game :mad:

When you look at the likes of the custom box sets people make for Star Wars: Despecialized Edition, I'd say a similar thing could definitely be done for games:

https://www.google.ie/search?q=star+wars+despecialized+custom+box+set&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLvv2nlsvYAhUJC8AKHVodAE8Q_AUICigB&biw=1680&bih=919#imgrc=_

Actually I got curious and googled this. It seems there's already some decently-sized communities out there producing custom box art and CD labels for modern games. I haven't found any making full big box sets in the style of the Star Wars ones above, but it sure seems possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

o1s1n wrote: »
    Logically, the market should have switched to digital only years ago and I'd say the only reason it hasn't is because people fear the change. (me included!)

It's like games companies are very slowly trying to phase out physical formats by including as little as possible with every subsequent console generation.

One thing that worries me is that most of my current game collection is on Steam. I can only access the games through Steam, which is perfectly fine now. However, and it seems unlikely, surely it's possible that some day Steam would go offline; what happens then to everyone's game collections?

This is probably derailing this thread, so I'll leave it here. It's something to think about though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sugarman wrote: »
    Such awkward sized cases for such a small game card, I know they have to try fill shelf space for marketing purposes etc.. but surely having them in a DS style case would have been suffice!

I would say that Nicalis have played a blinder with their releases, or at least the two I have picked up, both Cave Story and Binding of Isaac have wonderful NES callback contents, as well as extras, including a mini-soundtrack CD with Cave Story.

cavestory-switch-640x360.jpg?x74487
    (though mine didn't come with the bag and keychain)

the_binding_of_isaac_afterbirth_switch_01_1920.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just bought another Nicalis game.
    The End Is Nigh!
    No, that's the name of the game!

Should be getting these physical edition goodies!

151648_bonusLG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Got my cables from consolegoods, not the most interesting get but it's actually retro conpared to anything else I was posting
    DTLxuYEXcAAE18q?format=jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

26066750_1980840882186683_8545000480940490752_n.jpg

Some news gets waiting for me in the office this morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You won't need too big a one for the N64 as there's feck all worth playing on that system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Relikk

sugarman wrote: »
    Any recommendations for SD cards the Everdrives? Ive no clue what size to go for to fit all of my "backups" ;) onto for both.

For the N64, 8gb will fit nearly all retail games from all regions. If you want all those plus the 64DD games, the endless Mario 64 ROM hacks etc. then go for 16gb.

For the Mega Drive you won't need anything more than 2gb for a full retail set.

When I say full retail sets, I mean without clones, redumps and revisions. So, just a single regional release for each game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Got a new C64 cartridge:

gdHT298l.jpg

Great job on the packaging.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Relikk wrote: »
    For the N64, 8gb will fit nearly all retail games from all regions. If you want all those plus the 64DD games, the endless Mario 64 ROM hacks etc. then go for 16gb.

For the Mega Drive you won't need anything more than 2gb for a full retail set.

When I say full retail sets, I mean without clones, redumps and revisions. So, just a single regional release for each game.

Also look for fan translations as well, some games are worth having a look. The N64 hasn't many but Wonder Project J2 is work playing (as is the original snes game).

There's a good few more on megadrive like the recently released Battle Golfer Yui which looks like the right amount of crazy. Some unfortunately are only programmed to work on emulators so might crash on an everdrive (and in some cases like Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2, crash on emulators but are made for real hardware).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,689 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Never heard of Wonder Project J2, will have to check that out. Really interesting to see the n64 pushing some proper 2d sprite art.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Anyone patches some N64 games to remove the filtering/blurring? How good/bad do the games look?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

This beauty arrived today. One of Sam Dyer's 'Bitmap Books' compendiums from Kickstarter, this one on the SNES/Super Famicom. 530+ pages, came in hard slip case with a fantastic lenticular cover and even had a 'scanline' bookmark. Sam is absolutely brilliant with updates in his campaigns, highly recommended for anyone planning to back one of his books. Think he has a Neo-Geo one coming up.

IMG_20180112_191926.jpg
    IMG_20180112_191751.jpg
    IMG_20180112_191623.jpg
    IMG_20180112_192208.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Had to get this, just thought the concept was hilarious. :)
    It actually doesn't look like too bad a game funnily enough and was cheap.

IMAG1245.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

accensi0n wrote: »

IMAG1245.jpg

Don't know much about that one, but the other McDonalds game 'Mick and Mack: Global Gladiators' was pretty good.

Global gladiators is class. Genuinely good straightforward platformer

Master of the Universe

Global gladiators is class. Genuinely good straightforward platformer

Ever play McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure on the Megadrive? First game ever made by Treasure.

I see it also costs a fortune now on eBay. Damn this hobby has become completely unaffordable :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Ever play McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure on the Megadrive? First game ever made by Treasure.

I see it also costs a fortune now on eBay. Damn this hobby has become completely unaffordable :(

I got my copy from Germany for €20 quid a few years ago I'm sure. Things have really gotten out of hand recently

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

I did the most stuipides thing ever, Saw an amiga CD32 on gumtree.co.uk...

Ok So latest update.....

Said he sent it on the 14th of december,,,

No cd32 guy not reponding anymore...

Contacted Gumtree, they have looked into it and yes it looks like fraud....

Filled in a form on the action fraud uk website, and sent an email to the local police as well.

Bugger.........

• Advertisement

Ok So latest update.....

Said he sent it on the 14th of december,,,

No cd32 guy not reponding anymore...

Contacted Gumtree, they have looked into it and yes it looks like fraud....

Filled in a form on the action fraud uk website, and sent an email to the local police as well.

Bugger.........

Sh1t, that's terrible mate,
    Hope it gets sorted and you're not left out of pocket.
    What's the likelihood of getting your money returned to you?

Master of the Universe

That's awful :(

You sent him cash by bank transfer didn't you? So that means you have his bank account details?

That's awful :(

You sent him cash by bank transfer didn't you? So that means you have his bank account details?

Yes I do have his bank account details....

I have sent them onto the action fraud lot and also sent them to the police...

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sh1t, that's terrible mate,
    Hope it gets sorted and you're not left out of pocket.
    What's the likelihood of getting your money returned to you?

More than likley no....

Few Nigerian princes who need a small loan to claim their fortune might like that account info

I've always had an interest in bootleg games and grey market hardware so I couldn't resist when this thing popped up for sale
    An Indonesian bootleg of Turtles Tournament Fighters for the Megadrive.
    sW7KdSSl.jpg

g5PBRYkl.jpg

Never heard of Wonder Project J2, will have to check that out. Really interesting to see the n64 pushing some proper 2d sprite art.

It's worth playing the SNES game first as it ties in with the sequel and they are pretty short. (especially if you get stuck and use a walkthrough!)

They more interesting than great but I enjoyed messing around with them and both games have gorgeous studio ghibli esque artwork.
    accensi0n wrote: »

IMAG1245.jpg

I actually quite like that game. Had a great C64 version as well. It's not the best NES platformer but it's worth your time and has some interesting ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Finally went over to my Dad's last night as I hadn't seen them during the Christmas period.

My brother got me a look LED Pacman blinky light.

Don't have much room for it at home really so I've decided to set it up in the office instead, you can see it here:
    https://www.facebook.com/MrVestek/videos/1713741058696227/

It apparently reacts to music and stuff when it's in "party" mode but it seems kinda flaky.

Still cool as a piece to have on the desk though!

I know it looks like it's flickering in the video but it doesn't look like that in reality.

My phone doesn't seem to have a camera mode that'll counteract the LED effect.

So this arrived yesterday. Picked it up for a decent price, been after a new one since I sold my copy last year

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeJXgM_h-Rz/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

A few gets, I met Hirokazu Yasuhara at a con and got my Sega umbrella and Sonic 2 signed. Can get a photo of my umbrella too if anyone's interested, I know some already saw.
    DUJKUwJXcAAFnuA?format=jpg&name=small

This Sonic pin came too
    DUK5WEoX4AAl7_m?format=jpg&name=medium

Someone I follow on IG had a clear out and very kindly sent me these for free
    DUJrpLHWkAE15k-?format=jpg&name=900x900

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement