Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grain price.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Blackgrass wrote: »
    Around here about 10-12k pounds or 150-250£/acre but now mostly on contract agreement and profit share mostly

How much of the 10k is due to the distortion caused by monied clients trying to reduce tax bills? I seem to remember this being trendy in the late seventies as well. There was a fairly significant fall out from this afair. A lot of bad management and owners losing interest, places slowly coming apart. Some of your posts over the past few days might be the first few pebbles of the landslide or could be a one off. "To the Manor Born" was a sitcom based on the premise. Nouveau riche trader buys distressed estate and all the pitfalls he has to negotiate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

More recon work, oh dear.
    This is a field of harvested combinable peas, the field should be a dark chocolate brown. This is the second flush of blackgrass for the year and it heading for flower and more seed return. The seed bank is pretty high when you find seeds on the surface....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

More recon work, oh dear.
    This is a field of harvested combinable peas, the field should be a dark chocolate brown. This is the second flush of blackgrass for the year and it heading for flower and more seed return. The seed bank is pretty high when you find seeds on the surface....

This is a very innocent question - but is there any way to get rid of blackgrass?

Even puttin a cover crop for a year to try to smother it out, and then plough it in or something like that? Or would it just come back again the year after?
    What about putting fields in grass for a year or two?

This is a very innocent question - but is there any way to get rid of blackgrass?

Even puttin a cover crop for a year to try to smother it out, and then plough it in or something like that? Or would it just come back again the year after?
    What about putting fields in grass for a year or two?

Well never say never but as it stands, with chemical control all that's left is stop it as a seedling in wheats, other crops give better control but nothing above 90something% control which is about the max for any weed/disease in ideal conditions anyway. Rotation,stale seed beds, cover cropping over an extended time will get it to liveable levels but not a cure iykwim. The seed is very viable year 1-5, 5-10 reasonably say 5% of the total number of remaining viable seeds will grow in year 6 with different degrees of dormancy which varies year to year. So to put that into figures i guess is easier picking this out of the air now, and this is saying no extra seed return from year 1!.
    Yr 1 you've 10000 seeds pm2, 100 grow and 300 die the rest remain dormant. Yr2 98 of the 9600per m2 grow and 500 die the rest remain...
    By year 6 you've 5000 dormant seeds left, 15 grow and 300 die..
    In year 10-40 only a few will germinate each year, but the problem is each plant can set a few 100-1000 seeds per head....
    Blackgrass is a little like oats in it produces chemicals that slow other plants growing and competing in the root system, i' ve seen it set seed heads at 4'' tall and will compete with prg for the first year if the reseed doesn't get away quickly. Have grassed the worst fields with some coming back to arable next year for milling wheat after 5 years. Bg loves wet ground and high N use also.
    Ploughing will give a 70/30 split of bury 70% of seeds bring up 30% but the groung that's bad for BG is heavy clay generally and i'd rather have 3 quadtracs to work it all down if was ploughing it all :pac:. Where it's bad is on the home block of land which atm is 70% of area farmed in which will almost become a second farm as going Directdrilling the outside land. Of this 'heavy block' about 22% is in grass in a range of 1-5 years atm. But grass rents don't meet what big boss expects in average profit targets and i'm too stubborn to rip it out so target all the premiums available for produce which this year we should get all if not most as has been very kind to make up the balance. Been cover croping last few years when going into spring crops which is basically malt barley, human grade proteins, veg oils /looking at health suppliments oils if can grow/pay! etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

What's the white yokes on the roots BG?
    reseeded in may. Clover in the mix but very little if it showing

• Advertisement

I'm wondering is it like the nitrogen you had a picture of on the roots a few weeks ago

Not being rude but anything revolving around grass is a weed to me :o:D.
    Would the ground be short of N as it's a reseed still, the clover hasn't had it applied so symbiotic N fixing bugs producing their own N iykwim?:confused: Is there clover in the sward yet established?
    First bit of homework for the morning ;) to go have a look.

Look up Pythium root rot, those nodules look hairy could be sexual repoduction phase. Do the roots look brown/unhealthy at all?

Not being rude but anything revolving around grass is a weed to me :o:D.
    Would the ground be short of N as it's a reseed still, the clover hasn't had it applied so symbiotic N fixing bugs producing their own N iykwim?:confused: Is there clover in the sward yet established?
    First bit of homework for the morning ;) to go have a look.
    Shouldn't be short of N got 27 units this day last wk.
    Only a few bits of clover showing. Kind if yr 2 before it really shows itself.

• Advertisement

Shouldn't be short of N got 27 units this day last wk.
    Only a few bits of clover showing. Kind if yr 2 before it really shows itself.

Could be as mentioned above, especially with that reasonable amount of N(use kg/ha please) on surface helps to spread pythium disease in cereals. :) Wouldnt worry too much(reseed fails now :rolleyes:):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I think those guys regularly target trying to get These records

Doesn't Ireland nearly always have the highest wheat yield average as a Country?

Panch18 wrote: »
    I think those guys regularly target trying to get These records

Doesn't Ireland nearly always have the highest wheat yield average as a Country?

Wonder how much more /t all those products pushed up costs to get that yeild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Wonder how much more /t all those products costed to get that yeild

Oh i'd say an unreal amount of stuff is gone into them

Ireland has the highest barley potential, if they got the right crop/year as its a mix of sunlight days and rain. East anglia and Nz for other crops.
    Disease kills quality in Ireland though most years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Wouldn't be one bit supprised if he was making a loss on those crops

Ireland has the highest barley potential, if they got the right crop/year as its a mix of sunlight days and rain. East anglia and Nz for other crops.

I'm hearing of w.wheats coming close to 6 tonnes/acre in this area. Biggest problem atm is getting crops to ripen. Most of the combines around here have been more or less idle for the past week. Most other years they would be cutting for crimp but a lot of dairy farmers are moving to the home and dry type products as it's easier to use rations made from grains treated like this in parlour feeding systems. Better disease control is obviously keeping crops green longer too.

I'm hearing of w.wheats coming close to 6 tonnes/acre in this area. Biggest problem atm is getting crops to ripen. Most of the combines around here have been more or less idle for the past week. Most other years they would be cutting for crimp but a lot of dairy farmers are moving to the home and dry type products as it's easier to use rations made from grains treated like this in parlour feeding systems. Better disease control is obviously keeping crops green longer too.

I take it these are the famous 4 tons of spring barley off Irish acres lads as well?
    Its nothing new to expect just 10-14 days of cutting, often well into Sept at best in area of Wexford am from...

I take it these are the famous 4 tons of spring barley off Irish acres lads as well?
    Its nothing new to expect just 10-14 days of cutting, often well into Sept at best in area of Wexford am from...

Almost no spring barley grown around here so couldn't comment on that one. Two good operators talking about the yields mentioned. At least one of them would have the skillset to replace you where you are if the occasion presented itself. Technically very proficient and extremely return focused.

• Advertisement

Almost no spring barley grown around here so couldn't comment on that one. Two good operators talking about the yields mentioned. At least one of them would have the skillset to replace you where you are if the occasion presented itself. Technically very proficient and extremely return focused.

Have had many folk reckon they'd do a better job here, still the last one standing. Considering you know nothing of my skip sets other than what could be bothered posting that wouldn't need to explain too much about as mostly through no fault of their own only a handful have a clue of what I'm even vaguely on about tell'em fire away

Have had many folk reckon they'd do a better job here, still the last one standing. Considering you know nothing of my skip sets other than what could be bothered posting that wouldn't need to explain too much about as mostly through no fault of their own only a handful have a clue of what I'm even vaguely on about tell'em fire away

I didn't intend any insult bg. And I doubt there are many with your skillsets tbf. You are correct in saying that all I know of your abilities is what I see posted here. That said the guy I'm talking about is very good at what he does. Does all his own agronomy and is far more aware of managing his soil than any other tillage farmer I know.

Have had many folk reckon they'd do a better job here, still the last one standing. Considering you know nothing of my skill sets other than what could be bothered posting that wouldn't need to explain too much about as mostly through no fault of their own only a handful have a clue of what I'm even vaguely on about. Tell'em fire away so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Direct drilled Osr on Monday and also ploughed for some due to a bad ryegrass weed problem.
    Got 45mm in 3/4 of an hour this morning...the ploughed ground is on a slope and most of it is now at the bottom headland, with gullys about 2 feet deep!
    Ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Dozer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Have had many folk reckon they'd do a better job here, still the last one standing. Considering you know nothing of my skill sets other than what could be bothered posting that wouldn't need to explain too much about as mostly through no fault of their own only a handful have a clue of what I'm even vaguely on about. Tell'em fire away so.

I think you're taking him up wrong there Blackgrass. He was holding you up as the benchmark for and the examples he was talking about were coming close

Was talking to family today and sbarley finishing this evening.
    Worst yield was 3.3t/acre.
    Haven't even touched wheat yet as moistures are huge.

Just finishing barley tonight all cereals cut might be doing some contracting next week. Proteins left to cut about 4 days so will prob bite bullet and cut a little moist to get in shed as half fit half be 2nd week sept. Been asked to help someone, still has 1500 acres to cut of wheat/barley/beans.
    In argument with vaddy as their discs are cracking the hubs at 40% worn, tried to rob off but know they've had issues as used cheaper steel which is brittle and causing big compo claims.
    Combine nearly burned with oil pipe bursting and coating the turbo , lovely.

Just finishing barley tonight all cereals cut might be doing some contracting next week. Proteins left to cut about 4 days so will prob bite bullet and cut a little moist to get in shed as half fit half be 2nd week sept. Been asked to help someone, still has 1500 acres to cut of wheat/barley/beans.
    In argument with vaddy as their discs are cracking the hubs at 40% worn, tried to rob off but know they've had issues as used cheaper steel which is brittle and causing big compo claims.
    Combine nearly burned with oil pipe bursting and coating the turbo , lovely.

You've made great headway! Weather was obliging, or dryer was busy?

The issue with the discs on the Vaddy I haven't seen before.

• Advertisement

Dawggone wrote: »
    You've made great headway! Weather was obliging, or dryer was busy?

The issue with the discs on the Vaddy I haven't seen before.

Weather was good when dry and love my nights worked well 2 weeks good weather at start of August then been case of 2-3 good days wet for combining a few days so worked well so far with 90% dry or case of taking out less than 1% to be safe in store or 1st few loads in am to get going. Have dried 22+% loads for 1 person in feed wheat, about 16 pounds/ton drying cost and we'd have an efficient drier but needs to run continuously. Have a study on heat recovery being done on the warm moist air exiting, to pre-heat the cold air going in. Looking basically blow hot moist air over pipes feeding cold air entering and water seperation to lower humidity- less fuel needed or small biomass burner.
    Have plans for a drying floor but costs at best is looking 120-130/ton when there's a big stinking drier next door, but merchant pushing to use for more customers with ageing facilities ie lorry here tip then reload dry back to farm, few contract farmers doing this with trailers now to make the 15mile carts less crazy when on farm stores built for 25-30/t hr not 50.
    Doesn't worry me too much as gives us essentially free storage and a lot more than some! But looking to keep as far away from a yard of loaders/circus as can is main aim.

Advertisement