Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grain price.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Panch18 wrote: »
    Lads ye don't need to go to England to find big money buying up all the land

Around here Coolmore Stud must be after purchasing, at a very rough guess, 5,000 acres in the last 5 years. and that's just the bits I know about - it could be a lot more. I can name 2,000 acres off the top of my head that they have purchased in the last 18 months alone.

They are gazumping on deals that are already done and everything. One guy had a deal done and when he went to finalise the following Monday he was informed that they had offered 250k more than he had agreed, nothing he could do only let them off.

They have only been beaten once that I have heard of, huge farm in Tipp up for sale in the mid noughties by public auction. They are bidding away like mad and so is this other fella, a fairly regular looking farmer, anyway the land is up around 25k an acre (for 400 acres approx.) so you are talking big money here, and the farmer is bidding away and Coolmore think yer man is only pushing it on on them so they stop. Turns out the farmer had received a shed load of money for development land so he was good for it. They contacted him almost immediately after the sale and offered him 1m more than what he paid for it. That's 1m extra before he had even set foot in the place after the auction

so Teagasc and whoever can talk all they want about farm consolidation etc, but let me tell you with Coolmore Stud around there isn't a hope in hell of any farmer buying any land of any quality. Because if they want it they get it - its that simple.

You must be fairly near me then! Howde neighbour.
    Their target was to purchase 10k acres. Their gone over 9k now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

You must be fairly near me then! Howde neighbour.
    Their target was to purchase 10k acres. Their gone over 9k now.

Howdy neighbour!! Where abouts are ya?

Yeah I wasn't sure what they have at the moment, serious amount of land being bought in the last couple of years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Yeah I wasn't sure what they have at the moment, serious amount of land being bought in the last couple of years

Must be biggest farmers in the country if they have that amount of land?

I think theyre now the biggest tillage farmers in the country ( and it's only a hobby to them)

PM sent

• Advertisement

Id say they are the biggest in Ireland by a long long way

And what makes them unique is they own it all, and not one cent owed on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

and is it all going ito grain then?

Well they'd have a couple of thousand acres of grass I'd say, but nearly all of the recent acquisitions, around me anyway, are being ploughed. I think 6,000 acres of tillage was last I heard but it could be more

Clyde might have a better idea if the split

Bretts are taking most of it. They have a lot of storage where Ronan's had their piggeries (bought that too) . Talks of mills going in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Bretts are taking most of it. They have a lot of storage where Ronan's had their piggeries (bought that too) . Talks of mills going in there.

They are going to need a very well qualified crew to manage that area. It'll grow nothing after a few yrs if not looked after right.

• Advertisement

They are going to need a very well qualified crew to manage that area. It'll grow nothing after a few yrs if not looked after right.

Trust me, they know what they're doing. Havnt made too many mistakes yet.

I don't think lads around here were happy at all with the Brett's situation. I don't know if cool more dumped a load of grain in ardfinnan or if they took the trucks that should have been drawing away from ardfinnan but the only thing that saved war around here was the weather broke on a Saturday and the combines stopped. Otherwise Brett's would have been overflowing into the suir and the gates closed!! Then we'd be hearing about it!!

Trust me GG That ain't a problem for them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Anyone know what green wheat is making at the moment?. Thinking of buying a load to crimp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Oh FFS Blackgrass closed his account.

Dammit a brilliant, knowledgeable and incisive brain gone....:(:(

Big loss.

Chopping soya maize and sunflowers.

Maize 16.7t/ha @ 27.4% moisture.
    Soya 2.8t/ha @ 23.6% moisture
    Sunflowers 2.91t/ha @ 23% moisture.

Maize is marginal. Rest are shyte...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Dawggone wrote: »
    Chopping soya maize and sunflowers.

Maize 16.7t/ha @ 27.4% moisture.
    Soya 2.8t/ha @ 23.6% moisture
    Sunflowers 2.91t/ha @ 23% moisture.

Maize is marginal. Rest are shyte...
    Any photos? Would need a right good summer for that to work here:D What benefit is the sunflowers?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Any photos? Would need a right good summer for that to work here:D What benefit is the sunflowers?

Sunflowers are hit and miss Blue. More bother than they are worth. Three weeks after planting crows and pigeons do lots of damage. Then three weeks before harvest pigeons, crows and all small birds graze them. The stem is strong enough to hold the weight of pigeons and crows while they graze the seeds from the head. Nightmare. Seeds go for pressing for sunflower oil. Shyte crop this year due to drought and price. Sunflowers are an excellent break crop.
    Finished cutting them last night at high moisture just to be shut of them.

blue5000 wrote: »

Still harvesting maize. Pic from yesterday. Short on trailers because cutting maize, sunflowers and soya at same time. Will try and get pic of soya later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭BG2.0

Osr, anyone got some sheep?!
    Pushed hard early to get the osr ground cleared and then re drilled. Anything in before the 14th Aug is really good and most the guys about who held off are terrible and pigeons having a field day. Drilled with liquid starter fert down the also.

• Advertisement

Bg after growing, some burnt off few weeks more a few days, but yeah.
    Pic of quad is agronomist just double checking all the seeds grew and not making a big mistake :pac:, mix of osr thrash also

More BG/putting pre-em on crops stops most seeds from germinating. VERY hot mix.

Seed dressing, get a company to come and dress the seed(clean and apply seed treatment fungicide+some trace elements).
    We store seed for a company in the farms bins as they are very gentle at drying the crop and make it easy to monitor/seperate. Take about 25mins to clean out the 'system' so as not to mix varieties coming through elevators/conveyors and the dresser/cleaner is extremelly good at cleaning samples but is slow, usually lorry'd away as need or in 1 ton bags so can be fun with one in man cage on the fork lift at spout, one on loader and one switching on and off with hand signals going between. Also, anyone who did a UK harvest has probably shoveled bins, who ever built this store in the 60's! is a hero as self emptying blowing floor bar about 2 kg on 2 small ledges and a few kg in the corners swept out in about 30 seconds. Just takes about 15 mins longer.

BG2.0 wrote: »
    Osr, anyone got some sheep?!
    Pushed hard early to get the osr ground cleared and then re drilled. Anything in before the 14th Aug is really good and most the guys about who held off are terrible and pigeons having a field day. Drilled with liquid starter fert down the also.

What starter did you use BG?

Took photo of my OSR there now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I see that the El Niño they're predicting is going to be the strongest in 50 years ( if you believe the indo) good news for grain growers here?

I see that the El Niño they're predicting is going to be the strongest in 50 years ( if you believe the indo) good news for grain growers here?

We need a major drought, but not HERE!! :)

Yara starter plus minus some trace elements got sinc as seed coat,
    Iirc about N15 p35 k4 man.o20 mn.o20 more less using up old season stuff to free up ibc's

BG2.0 wrote: »
    Yara starter plus minus some trace elements got sinc as seed coat,
    Iirc about N15 p35 k4 man.o20 mn.o20 more less using up old season stuff to free up ibc's

Too early for a bit of boron I suppose.

Crops are way too forward here for my liking. Thinking on going with an aphicide next week. Maybe some lambda-cyhalothrin to give me cover till the new year?

Late sown trial plots doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

http://agronomyukraine.blogspot.ie/2015/12/did-ukraine-just-reached-tipping-point.html?m=1

It'll be interesting to see if this makes much of an impact over next few years

Advertisement