Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grain price.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Blackgrass wrote: »
    I was up later and earlier than most last night let me assure you! To be fair got it running smoothly now main men know what's ahead of them for 3/4 days, fill students in around them got most organising done so just on guard for big spammers been thrown in the work. Have cb's on all machines now so everyone is in contact constantly and grain trucks/deliveries now routed via office secretary who comes full time for harvest. I'm just the busy fool running about!

Do ye get to drive a combine at all any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

Do ye get to drive a combine at all any more?
    Can do happily enough if needs be, but
    At the stage that if over the whole week spent 60mins on any machine would be a lot now days. Growing the area covered by ALOT next year post harvest taking big bosses land in hand and putting in more flexible storage at stores so getting a full time foreman to do the day to day next summer onwards. We take in about 1000 tons of grain to be cleaned and dried over night arrives during day loadered out from flat store next to pit from daytime done by separate company except our Store man over see's iykwim so have to keep an eye in as we've a full grain lab available to us and getting use of grain plant but putting in second cleaner and pit to everyone happy. Developing polo horses old yard into apartments/houses to pay for expansion as big boss isn't putting in more money.
    You could give your life to the farm but there's two ladies I'd much rather spend it with going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

How many acres do he farm BG?

After action report, 65% done all dry haven't had to turn on the drier for our own stuff which has been great! Yield is on the good side but variable with wheats doing 8-14t/ha in same field on yield mapping in places with average sitting at 10.2-10.4 on heavy ground and 9 on light with proteins from 11.7-13.2. Have all field work done to one day behind combine until we hit SB today which when tried to chop looked like a field of tedded silage so change of plan and rowed up for baling. Osr on light land has been drilled with rain falling now, and heavy ground will go monday.
    It's quite a luxury to be able to work heavy ground as it suits and not a panic like it has been, only subsoiling trafficed areas and patches that always need lifting and just using cultivator like a big set of discs rather than a poor job of both it normally has been. It's a hell of a luxury to have excess capacity but we do make them work to pay on outside jobs going forward with ad maize area that needs ploughing and then subsoiled post harvest for a local contractor on what is mainly tough but not very heavy ground, similar with the stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

After action report, 65% done all dry haven't had to turn on the drier for our own stuff which has been great! Yield is on the good side but variable with wheats doing 8-14t/ha in same field on yield mapping in places with average sitting at 10.2-10.4 on heavy ground and 9 on light with proteins from 11.7-13.2. Have all field work done to one day behind combine until we hit SB today which when tried to chop looked like a field of tedded silage so change of plan and rowed up for baling. Osr on light land has been drilled with rain falling now, and heavy ground will go monday.
    It's quite a luxury to be able to work heavy ground as it suits and not a panic like it has been, only subsoiling trafficed areas and patches that always need lifting and just using cultivator like a big set of discs rather than a poor job of both it normally has been. It's a hell of a luxury to have excess capacity but we do make them work to pay on outside jobs going forward with ad maize area that needs ploughing and then subsoiled post harvest for a local contractor on what is mainly tough but not very heavy ground, similar with the stores.

Well done. Excellent yields and quality.
    Funny how the weather plays its part and moistures nice and low when diesel is cheap.
    I'm just back from a few days in Derbyshire/Yorkshire with some old friends and they were saying that it has been a summer of below normal temperatures. I always liked a long cool summer to help with grain fill. We would have easily got those yields only for the intense heat from May through to harvest.
    I spoke to a farmer from the south of the country that irrigated wheat 6 times giving 30mm per pass...average yield 6t/ha.

Subsoiling tramlines finished and all straw removed. Waiting on moisture to plant osr/lucerne/covercrops/ryegrass/clover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

With WB now yielding 4 tons/acre (10/HA) and reports of up to 5/a (12T/HA) is it a more viable crop for dairy and beef farmers than Maize for those that sow a bit of grain for winter finishing and milk. These lads are again finding that maize may be poor enough this year. Would a peas and Barley crop be viable as wee however this would have to be spring sown.

A lad I talk to a bit that grew maize has moved back to WB. He was finding that he had to contract out more of the maize work rather than the barley.

With WB now yielding 4 tons/acre (10/HA) and reports of up to 5/a (12T/HA) is it a more viable crop for dairy and beef farmers than Maize for those that sow a bit of grain for winter finishing and milk. These lads are again finding that maize may be poor enough this year. Would a peas and Barley crop be viable as wee however this would have to be spring sown.

A lad I talk to a bit that grew maize has moved back to WB. He was finding that he had to contract out more of the maize work rather than the barley.

I'd agree that WB might be more reliable than maize but they wouldn't have the same feed value either.
    Another bonus with WB is timeliness of reseeding after harvesting.

Dawggone wrote: »
    Well done. Excellent yields and quality.
    Funny how the weather plays its part and moistures nice and low when diesel is cheap.
    I'm just back from a few days in Derbyshire/Yorkshire with some old friends and they were saying that it has been a summer of below normal temperatures. I always liked a long cool summer to help with grain fill. We would have easily got those yields only for the intense heat from May through to harvest.
    I spoke to a farmer from the south of the country that irrigated wheat 6 times giving 30mm per pass...average yield 6t/ha.

Subsoiling tramlines finished and all straw removed. Waiting on moisture to plant osr/lucerne/covercrops/ryegrass/clover.

Where yield was low quality didnt always go up was very variable at , strong:D rates of N in places but was too dry. Have been pretty brutal here removing areas that wont perform be that at bottom of a hill by a wood and gets sun for only 7 months of the year and take too much mollycodling from pidgeons and to get going so enhancing our environmental record and getting paid much more than what they normally return in crop, god bless technology in helping aid not just a fancy toy as gives more time to worry about acres that will return max profit. For better or worse going to over geared and a timely fashion rather than a panic. You mentioned if we were under combined before?, we have been regularly cutting 125 acres a day of wheat and if needed in a tough year am at dealers top of list for a hire. Half the reason we got the loader from him at quite a premium as you well know and have done alot of buisness, we even got a phantom combine on demo in 2012 that definetly didn't exist then and there is a chance of another coming of about 730hp looking to smash a certain record on a farm in lincs ;), i'm told but think if going for a spread of crops 2 is the way to go.

Have the new assistant today, made her first decision to be fed rather than start cutting at 10 vs 11.30am moisture down .7% according to driver so earning her way :D.
    Rowing up as tried to chop sb was like a field of Tedded silage yield is 2.5-3.5 depending on soil. Moisture was 16 down to 15.3 in 90+ mins.

On a farm we're taking over in the future have put some infrastructure in place and will build another in the future. For tipping grain in until back to central store otherwise would need a fleet of trailers vs few days with a lorry or 2 on a 8 mile haul. Farms existing facilities are from the late 70's and will be converted into rental space for businesses which will be split with existing tenant farmer for giving up a long lease. Hold about 800 tons if staying long term or 1000+ as can push up very high but only store at 10-12 deep or 3 panels high
    Edit*

• Advertisement

Any idea what an aeration system is worth. Dad bought it in early 2000 I think. Hasn't been used in 10 yrs. Have the ducts and all for drying it. You just move the fan every 12 hrs or so

Where yield was low quality didnt always go up was very variable at , strong:D rates of N in places but was too dry. Have been pretty brutal here removing areas that wont perform be that at bottom of a hill by a wood and gets sun for only 7 months of the year and take too much mollycodling from pidgeons and to get going so enhancing our environmental record and getting paid much more than what they normally return in crop, god bless technology in helping aid not just a fancy toy as gives more time to worry about acres that will return max profit. For better or worse going to over geared and a timely fashion rather than a panic. You mentioned if we were under combined before?, we have been regularly cutting 125 acres a day of wheat and if needed in a tough year am at dealers top of list for a hire. Half the reason we got the loader from him at quite a premium as you well know and have done alot of buisness, we even got a phantom combine on demo in 2012 that definetly didn't exist then and there is a chance of another coming of about 730hp looking to smash a certain record on a farm in lincs ;), i'm told but think if going for a spread of crops 2 is the way to go.

The new Lex780?
    Will they wait 'till sept when wheat is well ripe? :)
    Damn nice to have an obliging dealer. It may cost a bit but money can't buy a really good service...
    My two little AF's would knock out 150 to 180 acres per day but the logistical infrastructure will need to change...but then tomorrow is always beau here.

All ready now for planting but need water. Osr/clover/ryegrass etc ready to go but no moisture.

Knee deep in a project to take on another 1350acres Atm. My team are the weak point...

The new Lex780?
    Will they wait 'till sept when wheat is well ripe? :)
    Damn nice to have an obliging dealer. It may cost a bit but money can't buy a really good service...
    My two little AF's would knock out 150 to 180 acres per day but the logistical infrastructure will need to change...but then tomorrow is always beau here.

All ready now for planting but need water. Osr/clover/ryegrass etc ready to go but no moisture.

Knee deep in a project to take on another 1350acres Atm. My team are the weak point...

He's helped us out and unlike deere with their revolving door of mechanics they have guys who stay and know OUR machine and their issues and will answer the phone if you just wanted to query something quickly vs normally ring service manager back at garage.

Must be nice not having to run at stuff due to weather but then your now waiting on rain i guess so swings and round abouts, 8 days of 25 degrees and blowing wind and you can have out 5mm every second day of late :rolleyes:. My little girl saved us about 700 pounds+ this week in drying costs as delayed me getting to the farm so could cut barley dry vs quick blast in the drier and all that entails if only she'll always demonstrate such instincts :pac:.
    One thing i'd be worried of growing too fast is not having things right before hand, done enough of lark with unfit facilities vs big combines etc even tipped on a grass field! To not push it too far as have seen the result farms not being able to cover ground on time. Have the core in place here and it's relatively easy then but i wouldnt like to face into coming from what my old boss started with. Steaming piles of wheat waiting on a small drier which was - tempermental lets say, seed tipped in an open lean-to infested with weevils and such. Nope thanks!

Any idea what an aeration system is worth. Dad bought it in early 2000 I think. Hasn't been used in 10 yrs. Have the ducts and all for drying it. You just move the fan every 12 hrs or so

Pics? i'm imaging ducts that go under a pile and fan mounts on end? or pedistals that stand vertically?
    Many?, any fans to go with?

Pics? i'm imaging ducts that go under a pile and fan mounts on end? or pedistals that stand vertically?
    Many?, any fans to go with?

I'll drag it out tomorrow if I get a chance.
    Yeah the way we did it was pipes under a big pile of grain. Was grand and cheap system for the 50 ac we did back in the day.
    Could be 6 ducts and just the one fan. Dad paid 2k for it I think wether that was pounds or euro I don't know

He's helped us out and unlike deere with their revolving door of mechanics they have guys who stay and know OUR machine and their issues and will answer the phone if you just wanted to query something quickly vs normally ring service manager back at garage.

One thing i'd be worried of growing too fast is not having things right before hand, done enough of lark with unfit facilities vs big combines etc even tipped on a grass field!

I've fallen out with our local JD dealer. Was trying to move on a couple of Masseys lately and they wouldn't take them in. Full stop.

My biggest concern about expanding rapidly is exactly as you say. Need all the Ducks lined up...machinery...infrastructure...and importantly the right team.
    Team is a major problem here now. Back driving myself Atm :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

In the market for a good Irish lad to go work for you over there?

In the market for a good Irish lad to go work for you over there?

Yep. Pm please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hi Dawggone, up near Liseaux at, and see fields of a dark grass type crop mown. Looks about a foot in length. Looks like it's mown with a disk mower and no conditioner, lying flat. Saw a guy round baling it with a three wheel self propelled baler ( like a Horsch or a BigA) baleejected from the side and lands on its flat side. Any idea of what the crop is please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Yep. Pm please.

Sorry. Nobody in mind just putting it out there

• Advertisement

Had an interesting day to day, very apt to a previous post friends m yesterday...
    Big boss rocked up on a spur of the moment thing with a ne of his London mates to go have a look at land matey own and is contract farmed about 10 miles away he baught about 7 years ago to hide money and land speculation.
    The 2 lads had decided we'd take on the contract when it up as the big boy in at the moment isn't giving adequate return on investment.. Ooooh dear god the mess that's being made. He didn't like being told we'd need to be paid for farming it for 5 years to make a profit back, the farm is 'overseen' by a bloody gamekeeper who knows jack **** of nothing other than what's good for his half take birds and matey never minded as seemed ok when shooting.... He couldn't understand the money your paid for these schemes is for upkeep then as compensation and not 'free money'.
    I know the contractor and his business model. He farms anything he can, sets a contract cost then a profit share on anything left over, only he runs gear that's on its limit and makes money from his charge and anything left over is a bonus he wins.
    To think there's farms going out off business due to greedy parasitic land agents wanting silly rents to justify their parasitic existence and you've guys like this availing of many tax allowance as an entripenuer etc.. I gave up after the first field of documenting, this was peas... It's on its second flush of Bg for the season... The other pic was a skylark plot, basically a bare strip in the field for the birds to land and nest, meant to be bare but rotten in Bg/ragworth/thistle. Wild bird seed strips sown once years ago now full of bracken and thistle, pollen banks full of Ragworth. You'd nearly hope he gets inspected.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hi Dawggone, up near Liseaux at, and see fields of a dark grass type crop mown. Looks about a foot in length. Looks like it's mown with a disk mower and no conditioner, lying flat. Saw a guy round baling it with a three wheel self propelled baler ( like a Horsch or a BigA) baleejected from the side and lands on its flat side. Any idea of what the crop is please?

Lucerne?

Had an interesting day to day, very apt to a previous post friends m yesterday...
    Big boss rocked up on a spur of the moment thing with a ne of his London mates to go have a look at land matey own and is contract farmed about 10 miles away he baught about 7 years ago to hide money and land speculation.
    The 2 lads had decided we'd take on the contract when it up as the big boy in at the moment isn't giving adequate return on investment.. Ooooh dear god the mess that's being made. He didn't like being told we'd need to be paid for farming it for 5 years to make a profit back, the farm is 'overseen' by a bloody gamekeeper who knows jack **** of nothing other than what's good for his half take birds and matey never minded as seemed ok when shooting.... He couldn't understand the money your paid for these schemes is for upkeep then as compensation and not 'free money'.
    I know the contractor and his business model. He farms anything he can, sets a contract cost then a profit share on anything left over, only he runs gear that's on its limit and makes money from his charge and anything left over is a bonus he wins.
    To think there's farms going out off business due to greedy parasitic land agents wanting silly rents to justify their parasitic existence and you've guys like this availing of many tax allowance as an entripenuer etc.. I gave up after the first field of documenting, this was peas... It's on its second flush of Bg for the season... The other pic was a skylark plot, basically a bare strip in the field for the birds to land and nest, meant to be bare but rotten in Bg/ragworth/thistle. Wild bird seed strips sown once years ago now full of bracken and thistle, pollen banks full of Ragworth. You'd nearly hope he gets inspected.

Lots of nonproductive land around Bedfordshire?
    Put in another perspective would you be able to put together those kind of acres?

Big Boss is obviously a business asset.

What does land like that go for in England?

Excellent question. Thanks Greengrass.

Excellent question. Thanks Greengrass.

I know there eating into thete sfp but why not crop just aa much acres as they need to claim there payment.
    One of the guys in my group crops 600 ac and milks alot if cows and he's putting more into grass for cows.

Can lads not do sums?

I know there eating into thete sfp but why not crop just aa much acres as they need to claim there payment.
    One of the guys in my group crops 600 ac and milks alot if cows and he's putting more into grass for cows.

Can lads not do sums?

Lol. Too true Gg

Politics. Large sfp and needing acres.

Lots of nonproductive land around Bedfordshire?
    Put in another perspective would you be able to put together those kind of acres?

Big Boss is obviously a business asset.

This time a major negative wanting to help a fella out. Who when he tried to dictate negotiations in the back of the Ranger on land i've no intention of working with and gave the big boss the evils look he instantly realised also i lost sympathy. He expected to be paid first for x amount, says i you can pay us that amount + costs to make it worth our while in the extra tlc and crop write offs over the next 5 years or else his land will be worth about .5 its market value if he stays the course with his present guy quickly silenced him :D. Drainage and environmental commitments need sorting asap or he'll probably be forced to repay everything recieved for the schemes it's such a mess...
    Don't need to look for land that isn't needed when the right land will fall into your lap iykwim, leave that to LE BARNES/ GW TOPHAMS to worry about amoungst others around here.
    Big boss is happy to do stuff so long as it's the sensible thing to do or to his benefit. Doing up old stores for buisnesses premises as low cost office/work space for new start ups to give them a boost, meanwhile he can keep an eye on any worth investing in early as well as converting to houses old stable yard that was on it's way to disrepair and demolition which is more or less paying for new grain cleaner etc... Would buy and sell most of us and leave you thinking just done you a favour :pac:

• Advertisement

What does land like that go for in England?

Around here about 10-12k pounds or 150-250£/acre but now mostly on contract agreement and profit share mostly

Advertisement