Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Macavity. wrote: »
    It's very difficult for me to prevent myself from thinking about the future generally. When I have done I've ended up drinking almost everyday and doing other reckless things.

I too think about the future a lot and I have to admit that I honestly don't see a great one ahead. I really need to stop putting a negative spin on everything.
    Having some really negative thoughts today. I've left a message with the therapist to see if she can fit me in today instead of Thursday. Feeling quite lost and afraid.

Hang on in there LID. Hope it passes for you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

I too think about the future a lot and I have to admit that I honestly don't see a great one ahead. I really need to stop putting a negative spin on everything.

Hang on in there LID. Hope it passes for you soon.

You get in today, or still have to wait? Without meaning to sound condescending try to keep those thoughts positive.

I try as much as possible to not think too far ahead into the future. It only leads to depression cos the thoughts are inevitably negative. 'I'll never get better, get a job, will be a loser my whole life, etc'
    I'm just trying to stay 2 days ahead with my thinking, instead of 2 months or 2 years.
    Hoping desperately these meetings will help me.

cookie24 wrote: »
    I try as much as possible to not think too far ahead into the future. It only leads to depression cos the thoughts are inevitably negative. 'I'll never get better, get a job, will be a loser my whole life, etc'
    I'm just trying to stay 2 days ahead with my thinking, instead of 2 months or 2 years.
    Hoping desperately these meetings will help me.

I get ya Cookie.

I hope it's not too nosy to ask, what meetings are you attending?

I get ya Cookie.

I hope it's not too nosy to ask, what meetings are you attending?

http://www.recovery-inc-ireland.ie/

at the one I went to there were about 12 people, all suffering from anxiety and/or depression. Its kinds like AA but for us :p
    And only e3 a session is pretty good value. Gonna go to a few and see how things go. They are a little weird, in that the meeting starts by everyone reading a paragraph from a book.
    I didn't really take part last week but this week I'm gonna hopefully say a bit more.

http://www.recovery-inc-ireland.ie/

at the one I went to there were about 12 people, all suffering from anxiety and/or depression. Its kinds like AA but for us :p
    And only e3 a session is pretty good value. Gonna go to a few and see how things go. They are a little weird, in that the meeting starts by everyone reading a paragraph from a book.
    I didn't really take part last week but this week I'm gonna hopefully say a bit more.

Sounds good. There are no meetings in my town though it seems. :-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Great if it's working well for you Cookie, though seems a little almost cult like to me. I'll read more on it though.

Having a read of Crucial Conversations myself at the moment. It's making sense in some ways to me. I've read 35 pages so far, which, considering my concentration difficulties, is an achievement in itself \o/

Gongoozler wrote: »
    seems a little almost cult like to me.

I went to a GROW meeting once a couple of years back. It just wasn't for me in the end. It weirded me out a little with pledges etc.

That being said, if it works for others then I'm delighted for them. :)

I agree with the cult type thing. They talk about the founder (Abraham Low) like (I imagine) scientologists talk about L. Ron. But at only e3 a pop I'm gonna give it a go - anything that gets me talking in front of a group is good for me, and most public speaking courses are a few hundred euro.
    Might have a look at those GROW meetings. I dont really care once its cheap, accessible and gets me talking in front of people. The fact they suffer from the same type of things makes it easier vs (say) Toastmasters. Once confidence is built I will go there, or something more 'normal'

I agree with the cult type thing. They talk about the founder (Abraham Low) like (I imagine) scientologists talk about L. Ron. But at only e3 a pop I'm gonna give it a go - anything that gets me talking in front of a group is good for me, and most public speaking courses are a few hundred euro.
    Might have a look at those GROW meetings. I dont really care once its cheap, accessible and gets me talking in front of people. The fact they suffer from the same type of things makes it easier vs (say) Toastmasters. Once confidence is built I will go there, or something more 'normal'

That's a good way of looking at it Cookie. Plus the networking side of it could be handy too.

IIRC GROW was free, or it was when I tried it.

Sorry if it seemed I was being judgemental or belittling didn't mean it like that at all. Absolutely, whatever works for you. Let us know how it goes.

• Advertisement

Sorry if it seemed I was being judgemental or belittling didn't mean it like that at all. Absolutely, whatever works for you. Let us know how it goes.

I hope I didn't come across like I was accusing you of that either! :o

No, just try to be aware of how I can come across to people

No, just try to be aware of how I can come across to people

I get ya. I wonder the same myself at times too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

You get in today, or still have to wait? Without meaning to sound condescending try to keep those thoughts positive.

No she couldn't fit me in today but we did speak via text and have arranged to have a phone call tomorrow morning.

I feel calmer now though and feel like a bit of an idiot for bothering her. I just didn't know what else to do. I was having the kind of negative thoughts I'd not had in a long time and I panicked and didn't know what else to do.

I hope she doesn't think I'm some weirdo :(

No she couldn't fit me in today but we did speak via text and have arranged to have a phone call tomorrow morning.

I feel calmer now though and feel like a bit of an idiot for bothering her. I just didn't know what else to do. I was having the kind of negative thoughts I'd not had in a long time and I panicked and didn't know what else to do.

I hope she doesn't think I'm some weirdo :(

Glad to hear you're a bit calmer now LID. And don't worry about her thinking you're a weirdo, she'll totally understand that you were distressed at the time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

How is everyone else today?

How is everyone else today?

I'm good....had 2 interviews today so keeping fingers crossed. Actually feeling quite good typing here. Another meeting tomorrow evening and then a w/e of alcohol.
    It'll be good for a while, and I'm gonna try to remain somewhat level headed. Time will tell though. I tell myself I drink at home cos its cheaper, rather than go in sober and straight onto pints. Truth is I dont want/cant go in sober cos of anxiety.
    And you? How are you this cold Wed evening? How'd the call with therapist go?

If your talking about me absolutely no offence was taken

I'm good....had 2 interviews today so keeping fingers crossed. Actually feeling quite good typing here. Another meeting tomorrow evening and then a w/e of alcohol.
    It'll be good for a while, and I'm gonna try to remain somewhat level headed. Time will tell though. I tell myself I drink at home cos its cheaper, rather than go in sober and straight onto pints. Truth is I dont want/cant go in sober cos of anxiety.
    And you? How are you this cold Wed evening? How'd the call with therapist go?

Heya Cookie,

Am glad to hear that you're feeling good there. :)

Is tomorrow another interview or something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Has anyone any experience with effexor?
    I started on 75 back in 08
    But now I'm up to 185.5
    I'm having really strange dreams since they Increased dosage
    And when I wake in the morning I an saturated in sweat

• Advertisement

My experience with effexor wasn't good, so I'm probably not the person to ask.

I was on it a few years back. I don't recall anything bad about it but it wasn't the nicest drug to be weaned off of.

This is actually what I meant - coming off it was one of the most unbearable experiences I've ever had.

Hi thanks for replies it just seems a cop out to be honest.
    Do well for few years then down again.so up with the dose.feels like being on a roundabout
    Why cant i be nornal?

Why cant i be nornal?

I'd say a lot of us in here ask ourselves that question too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SoSheSaid

Hi thanks for replies it just seems a cop out to be honest.
    Do well for few years then down again.so up with the dose.feels like being on a roundabout
    Why cant i be nornal?

You know what, who the hell knows what 'normal' is anyway?

A few years is a good run. Hell, I call a few days a good run. You're trying, that's all anyone can do - and it's enough.

I suppose everyone is fighting their own battles.on the plus the anxiety is at bay.
    But it always seems that I'm never quite happy. Another side effect is the 1000 yard stare which is both funny but annoying if I'm trying to work

But it always seems that I'm never quite happy. Another side effect is the 1000 yard stare which is both funny but annoying if I'm trying to work

That's me in a nutshell right there.

Group hugs for every one!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 SoSheSaid

I suppose everyone is fighting their own battles.on the plus the anxiety is at bay.

I'm not sure anyone ever is truly happy, at least not all of the time. People are always left wanting, because we always want so much. The goalpost always moves; first it's simply to have one good day, then it's to have a good week, then it's to start making plans... And that's not a bad thing, it's called ambition and I guess it's also called hope.

I often look at people who seem to have their **** sorted, with no MH issues or any of that to contend with either, and sometimes I think 'it's not fair'. But then I remember I've no idea what's going on with them, just like so many people have no idea what's going on with me. I'm sure there are a few who think I've my sh1t together, mainly people I haven't seen in years, and that's just the art of perception.

Hope things ease up for you soon though, even for a day or two of respite.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement