Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

They really don't. Most think that "Ah it's just being a bit nervous!" but it's so much deeper than that.

Welcome to the thread Cookie!

Inbloodydeed.

I swear most people (say a good 70% in various ways) are so thick they actually have to go through something completely themselves to truly empathise with you. Even if they've had panic attacks and are on medication for it, still they can't get their head around my anxiety issues. Hell even those who do go through the same things soon forget. Humanity :rolleyes:

Luckily 30% is a healthy enough number to be friends with.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

They really don't. Most think that "Ah it's just being a bit nervous!" but it's so much deeper than that.

Welcome to the thread Cookie!

I have come up with my own theory (probably not original).....adrenaline and the fight or flight response. Us with anxiety tend, far too much, towards flight. Instead of 'standing up and fighting', we flee. For me, the fleeing is from everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

cookie24 wrote: »
    I have come up with my own theory (probably not original).....adrenaline and the fight or flight response. Us with anxiety tend, far too much, towards flight. Instead of 'standing up and fighting', we flee. For me, the fleeing is from everything.

I too am a total flee-er alas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

you cant escape yourself though

like you say you have to fight sometimes

Roquentin wrote: »
    you cant escape yourself though

Unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

I hope no one recognizes me :(

LT sufferer of extreme anxiety, am between 28-32 and have never had a job because of it.
    Started 3 years ago (when I addressed problem) on lexapro. Didn't do anything to help. Next came CBT. Nothing, and I tried. Next hypnotherapy. I thought was working until a very bad week-long no-escape-from experience.
    Am now on valium and anafranil, but will be moving to lithium in 2 weeks.

Just looking to get that off my chest as I keep it (the meds) a secret.

Anyone have any experiences with the above - it will be lithium, anafranil, and the valium phased out. I hope to god it works. Anxiety is so debilitating. Many people dont realise it as such.

Hope everyone else is doing good.

Hi cookie24, welcome to the gang,
    Your so right, anxiety is very debilitating. And overwhelming.
    IMO things like cbt are very useful once your on somewhat of an even keel.

By that I mean adequate mediction, I truly hope you get some relief and new meds work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Just heard this morning of another young life lost to this illness.

So shocking and very sad for the children and family left behind.

Hope to god they've found peace
    Light a candle tonight x

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭fiftythree

going to make an appointment with a doctor on monday to talk about medication.
    in the past i didn't like it because of initial side effects and a feeling that once started to have a positive effect
    that i was fine all along and didn't need it at all.
    think it has to be given a chance, 6 months or so at least.
    my previous attitude hasn't got me far so i will stick at it this time.

shezer wrote: »
    I went through that exact process a year ago and it was a big mistake. Stick to them. I'm on a very low dose now but they seem to be quite effective.

How did you get on since last week?

i've done that a few times now and can't believe i keep repeating it.
    it clearly does work for me personally, and lets me think a lot more clearly.
    didn't get very far since last time to be honest.
    lot more stable than i have been at least but still pretty much unable to
    function at any level that is akin to living a life.
    my mood is very variable.
    think need to write down how i feel at my lowest and highest points as when i see a doctor i
    feel a bit pressured for time with them and seem to find it hard to communicate how things are over a long period.
    usually feel they have loads people to see and sort of need me out the door.
    prescription in hand i depart and that's it til next month.
    but as i said after a week or two i expect to feel better able to deal with things.
    so even if that is what happens it is better than now.
    thanks.

think there may be a possibility i am bipolar or something that isn't pure depression.
    when i have seen a doctor i usually have been in an awful sad state and so get caught up in that and can't think of anything
    good in my life to tell them or sort of convince myself that it is permanent sadness.
    similarly to when i keep quitting the antidepressants its like i convince myself i was deluded in the first place
    about being depressed.
    don't know if any of you have been like that.
    makes it pretty hard to have any sort of stability even about how i feel over a long term.
    just writing this now as it one of the few in between times i can recognise it.
    and i think i could use my own posts on here to sort of get an idea of it more
    and like i said write the different moods down and maybe the intervals to be better able to explain to the physician.

• Advertisement

It's like hitting the refresh button on a broken browser.It gives you those few seconds of hope that it'll load but it is broken and never does.(that applies to both going to the doctor and approaching taking the meds) You have to start the meds and stick to them and it's as simple as that.

I went through it and when I did, i told myself all sorts.I'm too good for meds yada yada yada....all nonsense thoughts. After a week or two of side effects I stopped although I wasn't told not to. The side effects were a joke. 18 hour sleeping in blocks through the 24hr day. This time I just stuck it out and am happy I did as the side effects died down a lot.

very similar to what i thought. too clever for meds etc.
    not initially, but perversely, after they started working.
    i'm not so clever then!
    thanks shezer. should be on something early next week.
    whatever happens i will stay on them for 6 months minimum.
    maybe even make 6 block monthly appointments with the doc
    in advance to have a target to go see them regular.
    and explain that i have been on and off the stuff before and why.
    very best of luck with that sertraline. i once was on 100 mgs of the stuff.
    lot of sleeping too and some very embarrassing other effects but
    in hindsight it did me the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Was feeling the lowest in ages this week and then found out on Thursday that my friends mother had died. Came very very close to walking myself over to A&E last night. I've got the initial appointment with a counselor on Monday evening. Will only be put on the waiting list after that but still it's something. Also need to go back to the GP - been putting it off for ages.

Was feeling the lowest in ages this week and then found out on Thursday that my friends mother had died. Came very very close to walking myself over to A&E last night. I've got the initial appointment with a counselor on Monday evening. Will only be put on the waiting list after that but still it's something. Also need to go back to the GP - been putting it off for ages.

that's awful about your friend's mother.
    glad you have an appointment though and that you will see the doctor.
    very best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

The best bet is the counsellor for someone you want to hear you out. If you want to get something from your GP then keep it medical.
    Example-I'm feeling really sad the local cat is missing and I loved that cat. I don't think i'll be able to sleep for a month. As opposed to what should be said to the GP- Local cat is missing. I'm losing sleep,I can't eat right, I have tremors and palpitations and my skin has broken out in a rash.

The GP isn't trained to discuss the Cat, the GP is trained to prescribe or advise for the sickness that comes with the disappearance of the cat.

This is why you feel rushed in the GPs office(and especially if you're up the north where the waiting time for a GP can be ridiculously long).

Jebus-I forgot to say.

NO CAT is MISSING folks. It was just for example purposes only :P

Jebus-I forgot to say.

NO CAT is MISSING folks. It was just for example purposes only :P

great..i love cats..delighted the fictional cat is alive and well!
    not sure if were referring to me or killer_banana because of in the north reference?
    i'n in the north now. belfast. found GP appts pretty quick to get but
    counselling not so quick, like GP within within 2-3 days, counsellor a few weeks, but i previously did that through the university here so may be not
    like that generally.

fiftythree wrote: »
    great..i love cats..delighted the fictional cat is alive and well!
    not sure if were referring to me or killer_banana because of in the north reference?
    i'n in the north now. belfast. found GP appts pretty quick to get but
    counselling not so quick, like GP within within 2-3 days, counsellor a few weeks, but i previously did that through the university here so may be not
    like that generally.

North reference was for you ;)

So sorry to hear that KB. I'm hoping you'll get through this all soon there.

North reference was for you ;)

ok, not sure where anyone on here is yet or at all!
    so can be confusing....
    like i said the university GPs here could operate outside the normal waiting times but
    i'm pretty sure from past experience i will be able to get an appt within a couple of days. counselling was more difficult though in my experience.
    are you going to a counsellor as well as the meds shezer?

Everyone in the house gone to bed...likewise the neighbours...calm at last.

• Advertisement

fr336 wrote: »
    Everyone in the house gone to bed...likewise the neighbours...calm at last.

love it when they're all away to sleep:D i like nights.
    i'm delighted to have a place now but it's a sort of a weird houseshare and
    there's always people about. allsorts. all fine so far though.
    loads of planes flying local in the day though.
    not so much at night. they come pretty close where i am.
    nice looking at them but i wouldn't have a clue where they'd be going or anything. how was your day?

love it when they're all away to sleep:D i like nights.
    i'm delighted to have a place now but it's a sort of a weird houseshare and
    there's always people about. allsorts. all fine so far though.
    loads of planes flying local in the day though.
    not so much at night. they come pretty close where i am.
    nice looking at them but i wouldn't have a clue where they'd be going or anything. how was your day?

Ta da :Dhttp://www.flightradar24.com

Better day than the last few. Yourself?

that's weird i've actually been on that site!:cool:
    stumbled across it and found it weirdly addictive.
    will check it out now in another window to see what's local!
    there's an equivalent ferry one i can't recall now but it was too slow moving.
    i like the idea of all those people in little cans in the sky and on the seas and the roads
    going places for as many reasons as there as people in them.
    i've been ok today. bit more stable than usual.

that's weird i've actually been on that site!:cool:
    stumbled across it and found it weirdly addictive.
    will check it out now in another window to see what's local!
    there's an equivalent ferry one i can't recall now but it was too slow moving.
    i like the idea of all those people in little cans in the sky and on the seas and the roads
    going places for as many reasons as there as people in them.
    i've been ok today. bit more stable than usual.

I know the ferry one you're talking about but I also forget what it is called :D

I know the ferry one you're talking about but I also forget what it is called :D

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ ?

that wasn't the one i used but it's ok if you zoom in..A LOT!
    nothing shaking at altitude in these airs tonight but a few things away out the north west
    coast into the atlantic and some things parked at dublin.
    the seas are jam packed though. it's like a traffic jam out there in the irish sea:eek:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ ?

that wasn't the one i used but it's ok if you zoom in..A LOT!
    nothing shaking at altitude in these airs tonight but a few things away out the north west
    coast into the atlantic and some things parked at dublin.
    the seas are jam packed though. it's like a traffic jam out there in the irish sea:eek:

Interesting actually

glad you've been better than recent.goes up and down doesn't it?
    i love this thread, people are lovely on it.
    there's not many people in real life i'd be comfortable in talking to.
    still an awful lot of stigma going on, fear it'll be a while before that changes.
    thanks everyone, again, every one of you all, genuinely mean it:D

Interesting actually

bet there's all sorts of things out in them seas!
    good, bad, in between, smugglers, fishers, pleasure boaters, adventurers.
    even boats that link up with planes. someone should do an app that tracks that.

glad you've been better than recent.goes up and down doesn't it?
    i love this thread, people are lovely on it.
    there's not many people in real life i'd be comfortable in talking to.
    still an awful lot of stigma going on, fear it'll be a while before that changes.
    thanks everyone, again, every one of you all, genuinely mean it:D

Back at you.

The majority of people are sheep in some way or another sadly - some over the top, others less so. Whatever becomes the norm they'll fit into, most people never actually live. I had a bout of depression about 5 years ago which was awful at the time but it turned my perception of life around and I actually look back on it fondly now..how weird is that. I doubt I'll look fondly on the current anxiety strife but things will come good in the end.

• Advertisement

Back at you.

The majority of people are sheep in some way or another sadly - some over the top, others less so. Whatever becomes the norm they'll fit into, most people never actually live. I had a bout of depression about 5 years ago which was awful at the time but it turned my perception of life around and I actually look back on it fondly now..how weird is that. I doubt I'll look fondly on the current anxiety strife but things will come good in the end.

understand that totally. in a way i feel becoming depressed has made me a better person, as in the frustration i felt by people telling me to get over it, for god's sake, etc, people who think it is the same as having a bad day, has made me question my views on a lot of other things, and become, hopefully, a more understanding person.
    at least a person i am "happier", and more comfortable to be.
    i'm looking up ships now, loads of them are just parked.
    dammit i'm going to be looking up ship and planes all night now....thanks!
    having said that i started it:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement