Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Some dreams can be so vivid and real especially when they involve people we know. Maybe your dream included situations that hit a nerve.

I think so yeah. F it anyway! LOL

How are you there GF? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Sigh why waste time worrying about people who didn't like you in the past or whatever...I'm sure they've well forgotten about it. When you have anxiety just purely for the sake of it, you realise how crazy it is to waste your life with this crap for other people. No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

CZ 453 wrote: »
    It is ridiculously hard to get.(even with GPs letter, 2 Psychiatrist letters and all the rest). Expect to wait 6-9 months for an answer. Then another 6 months for an appeal. Then another 6 months for another. Then 3 months for final appeal.

It is quite common to go as far as the final appeal.

Completely disagree with the above! All bulls**t!

Tell us more then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I think so yeah. F it anyway! LOL

How are you there GF? :)

I'm alright. How are you?

• Advertisement

I'm alright. How are you?

Ah I'm alright, not too shabby thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Would be also interested in hearing your experience of it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Speaking of dreams I woke up after a dream of being strangled from behind in a room out of nowhere... maybe I've got problems. They just held two ends of a tie or something around my neck and started choking and i woke up!

sleep paralysis. i get it all the time

Roquentin wrote: »
    sleep paralysis. i get it all the time

Do you sleep on your back at any stage during your sleep?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

fr336 wrote: »
    Do you sleep on your back at any stage during your sleep?

when i wake up with the nightmare, i do be on my back

• Advertisement

Roquentin wrote: »
    when i wake up with the nightmare, i do be on my back

Pretty sure I read sleeping on your back (or ending up sleeping on your back) can cause sleep paralysis

I really have to stop eating so much junk food. I look about 5 months pregnant at this stage. I dread to think what my cholesterol is. I should really get it checked.

I really have to stop eating so much junk food. I look about 5 months pregnant at this stage. I dread to think what my cholesterol is. I should really get it checked.

Yeah get it checked either way. How old are you greenfrogs?

fr336 wrote: »
    Yeah get it checked either way. How old are you greenfrogs?

Late twenties. I know my eating can get out of control easily so I am worried as I get older I will find it hard to stay at a normal weight range for my height. I want to get into healthy eating but I tend to comfort eat.

Late twenties. I know my eating can get out of control easily so I am worried as I get older I will find it hard to stay at a normal weight range for my height. I want to get into healthy eating but I tend to comfort eat.

Don't we all GF :o

You've just got to start somewhere. As things are, you have a choice, despite any issues your head may be giving you. You are what you eat, and while it may take time with the right amount of consistency eating well can cure all manner of things you didn't even expect. Don't let it get to a point where the choices are slowly but surely taken away from you, I've thought I was there in the past and was so, so grateful to be given a second chance as I saw it (currently still having the junk but this will absolutely be changing as I can't go on like this in any way...I want it all, yet have nothing. So yeah)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Guys. Have a look at these calculators on this website. They are very helpful when planning to lose weight.

https://www.fitwatch.com/calculator/weight-loss-target-date

My GP told me to start the FODMAP diet in January as I have IBS. It is meant to help identify the triggers of IBS. I am currently on buscopan but I don't want to constantly be on meds for it. So I just need to get the motivation to do it. It means giving up chocolate and bread for 6 weeks though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

My GP told me to start the FODMAP diet in January as I have IBS. It is meant to help identify the triggers of IBS. I am currently on buscopan but I don't want to constantly be on meds for it. So I just need to get the motivation to do it. It means giving up chocolate and bread for 6 weeks though :(

Go for it. Take it in small steps.

I find that M+S count on us meals can be very easy to use and follow as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Good evening all!

Decided to ask you all something, even though I don't like discussing this type of thing. I've suffered with pretty bad depression for a few years due to certain circumstances and other mental disorders, but managed to push through fairly well. The last year, I've noticed a lot of leg pains (upper thigh especially) and have gone to doctors about it to no avail. I've since realised that it's actually that I've been tensing my muscles constantly and that's what is causing my pain. It has since sort of moved to my shoulders. I've tried tensing them and releasing as a relaxation method (one that used to work years ago) and that does nothing. Has anyone ever had something like this? What did you do to help?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hey Elvis, I get a lot of difficulty in my shoulders and neck at times which I can usually work out with a shower though I do go for a massage sometimes. My other muscle problem is bruxism, which is tension in my jaws and face which leads to me grinding my teeth. I've been working with medication and meditation on it and while I still get nasty bouts of tension and clenching I think I'm slowly getting to a point of managing the pain.. Can you discuss with your gp or see a masseuse or physio?.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Fulltimer

Been reading and absorbing this thread for quite some time now and thought I would finally make a post.

I sit up late(6am) and get up early(anything between 8am and 12pm) most of the time for work. I was always a nervous youngfella but in my later teen years really came out of my shell. I never had a problem ever and then boom 20 years old about two months back started to get a tightness in my chest, it lasted days and palpatations too the more I thought about it. Held out for 5 days before going to A&E to see if I was dieing. Basically there was nothing wrong with me, but now I get it in uncomfortable situations or when I sit up late. Dissappears when i sit on the throne and breathe for a minute or two. Feel so safe in bed and never notice it there. But there is just those times when the brick in the chest appears and everything tightens up, breathing goes shallow and I have to walk out. Docs just said anxiety.

Now I should mention I had alot of stress from friends and a few fallouts and broke up with my girlfriend last year but still I dont think that should be affecting me now. Also I should mention I have been pretty sad/depressed(self diagnosed) for the past year. Any helpful tips to get back to normal life?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Do you have a friend you could discuss this with?. If not perhaps a gp since they can't talk about you to anyone..

Sounds to me like a few things over a relatively short period of time have gotten you a bit down and anxious. Have you tried meditation, I know plenty are cynical about it so might not be your thing. If it isn't maybe your doctor can either suggest a counsellor to help with the anxiety you have..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

That's the thing about anxiety and it's physiological effects, it usually is initially triggered by a major stressful event or stressful period but it kinda short circuits the brain which then starts over reacting to normal mundane everyday stressors.

In my case it was the stress and major upset of a terminally ill pet dog 2 years ago that triggered a year of depression and anxiety in me. For the last year however, I've gotten back to a point where the mundane everyday stressors no longer trigger major anxiety and it's back to just my dogs being ill triggering a major episode....where I'd need to take a Xanax. ie. 3 dogs with fussy tummies means a couple of days a month I'll have a poorly dog with upset tummy for a day or two which triggers me. I always pretty much know it's merely an upset tummy rationally but I can't help worrying 'what if'. That said a prescription for 10 250mg Xanax (lowest dose) usually lasts me 6-8 weeks so all things considered I think my anxiety while not totally gone is pretty trivial now compared to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭metime

a yoga class i think might be of benefit as it really really brings attention to your breathe and how you breathe.
    it is a no stress environment, you go at your own pace and it helped me a lot. i have not been in some time now but am hoping to start back this week.
    happy new year and best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Hey Elvis, I get a lot of difficulty in my shoulders and neck at times which I can usually work out with a shower though I do go for a massage sometimes. My other muscle problem is bruxism, which is tension in my jaws and face which leads to me grinding my teeth. I've been working with medication and meditation on it and while I still get nasty bouts of tension and clenching I think I'm slowly getting to a point of managing the pain.. Can you discuss with your gp or see a masseuse or physio?.

Thanks for the reply! I have seen my GP a few times, but I will ask about that kind of thing. It's always there, but only really bugs me when I'm lying down - it feels like I'm trying to hold my leg up with my body even though it's supported by the bed. Hope yours gets managed in the end, this is pretty horrible!

If it's not sleep deprivation it's anxiety....arghhhhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I don't know how to keep doing this. I'm so tired of feeling bad.

Gongoozler wrote: »

Sorry to hear that. I hope things get better soon.

• Advertisement

Gongoozler wrote: »

Hope it passes soon G. Anything you wanna talk about?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement