Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

is it just me or when you read so many negative or sad things that us posters are going through , it makes you feel more depressed and hopess

how about trying to only post happy stuff for a few days see if that lifts the moods ?

im 34 and suffering 17 years with debilitating anxiety , but find i feel better when reading positive stuff

positive breeds positivity ?

I think that people sharing their fears, anxiety or pain is a positive thing in itself. Instead of reading their stories and getting down, I feel good with the thought that people sharing here are at least not suffering completely on their own . . ;)

Hey guys, my boyfriend has been suffering with quite severe depression. He is seeing a psychiatrist and is on anti-depressants but the waiting list to see a counsellor is up to a year in the HSE clinic he's visiting, and his doctor has recommended he try get counselling privately in the meantime. I was wondering if anyone would have recommendations for private counsellors/clinics that they have found helpful in treating their depression? He definitely needs to see someone professional who is well trained in counselling for depression and can understand where he's coming from because he's seen some well meaning but less well trained counsellors in the past who have not really understood the problem and just tried to 'cheer him up'. Ideally somewhere located in or near Dublin city centre would be great, and as money is tight if you knew if they offered reduced rates for unemployed/students that would be very helpful.

I'd really appreciate any PMs or replies with suggestions, or any other advice if you've been in a similar situation! It's shocking how bad the primary care services for mental health are in this country :/

Hey guys, my boyfriend has been suffering with quite severe depression. He is seeing a psychiatrist and is on anti-depressants but the waiting list to see a counsellor is up to a year in the HSE clinic he's visiting, and his doctor has recommended he try get counselling privately in the meantime. I was wondering if anyone would have recommendations for private counsellors/clinics that they have found helpful in treating their depression? He definitely needs to see someone professional who is well trained in counselling for depression and can understand where he's coming from because he's seen some well meaning but less well trained counsellors in the past who have not really understood the problem and just tried to 'cheer him up'. Ideally somewhere located in or near Dublin city centre would be great, and as money is tight if you knew if they offered reduced rates for unemployed/students that would be very helpful.

I'd really appreciate any PMs or replies with suggestions, or any other advice if you've been in a similar situation! It's shocking how bad the primary care services for mental health are in this country :/

http://www.aware.ie/life-skills/?gclid=CJ6lyozyhMMCFYJZ2wod0RkArQ

Attached address helped me hugely and its free! . . I had spend decades going to councellors, therapist and different doctors.

The group programme gave me a taste for CBT that has ultimately led me to a life I could never of dreamed. I used to suffer from prolonged chronic Anxiety/depression ( I have written extensively in other parts of boards about my experience), and now my life is manageable and I get so much more enjoyment. I would recommend the group therapy as it gets people out of themselves and its face to face support.

I must stress that one of the big things for me was that I was willing to try things that I didn't really want to. I mean, I was willing to sacrifice time, money and my comfort zone to work on myself. The thought of doing a group therapy (like attached) never really appealed to me and I wouldn't be surprised if your boyfriend is reluctant to do such a thing.

The thing with depression, certainly for me, is that you want to feel better, but you are not necessarily motivated to do something about it. This reluctance can be mistaken for apathy/laziness when in fact it can be a sinister part of depression whereby some of the things that a person should be doing are the last things they feel like doing.

Whatever is recommended here, your boyfriend is going to have to really want to feel better and do things for himself. One of the things I found most enlightening was when I prioritised my well being and committed (to myself, not somebody else) to doing things (group therapy etc) that I didn't necessarily want to do. .

Nothing comes of nothing and on reflection, nothing changed for me when I kept doing either nothing or doing the same things over and over again. CBT gave me the tools to spot habits in my life that were keeping me in constant depression, constantly struggling to get any enjoyment. .

• Registered Users Posts: 4 toblerone_tony

i've my first CBT session in st pats next thursdsy

any tips

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

Helo everyone .

I had a major breakdown recently and ended up hospitalized for few weeks

At my worst stage i was delusional and went through a teriffing experience where i was facing all my fears , now this was as real to me as real can get.

im in a reasonably good place now , had a bad day today almost went back to the hospital due to panic attacks.

Im on olanzapine at moment , i am feeling now i also need something for the anxiety, i wont be seeing my consultant for a week and half though, i hope i can hold myself togeather until then.

My problem at the moment is when you know the mind can go there , im afraid of it going back there at any time.

Funny thing is i would face most things that i know are infront of me when i know what i must face, but i suffer worse at night with the anxiety especially if i have to travel (walk) the road at night where i had to face my fears before.

Has anyone else any experience like this ??

• Advertisement

i've my first CBT session in st pats next thursdsy

any tips

Keep an open mind.

Some of it is very basic stuff to most people and I was embarrassed a bit at how many basic living things I needed to learn. However, once I got into it I didn't care and learned how important these things are at building up my moods.

Persevere

There were times when I felt good after
    CBt and there were times when I didn't. Don't place too much emphasis on it.

CBT is about a way of living and it takes time to work. I'm two and a half years into it and on reflection I can see so many benefits that I wasn't always able to appreciate , especially when I am feeling down..

Give it a go

I committed to a 6 week group course. There were times when I didnt want to go and didn't want to try the suggested things. When I stopped second guessing and completely committed to the teachings I found a certain peace with feeling like I didn't have to find the solution to my moods on my own. It was nice to get life instructions...

Above all, right now try to awknowledge to yourself and take some comfort that you are taking action to try and get well. It may or may not work for you, but you are actually taking action to feel better which is something many people never actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Drumpot wrote: »
    Keep an open mind.

Some of it is very basic stuff to most people and I was embarrassed a bit at how many basic living things I needed to learn. However, once I got into it I didn't care and learned how important these things are at building up my moods.

Persevere

There were times when I felt good after
    CBt and there were times when I didn't. Don't place too much emphasis on it.

CBT is about a way of living and it takes time to work. I'm two and a half years into it and on reflection I can see so many benefits that I wasn't always able to appreciate , especially when I am feeling down..

Give it a go

I committed to a 6 week group course. There were times when I didnt want to go and didn't want to try the suggested things. When I stopped second guessing and completely committed to the teachings I found a certain peace with feeling like I didn't have to find the solution to my moods on my own. It was nice to get life instructions...

Above all, right now try to awknowledge to yourself and take some comfort that you are taking action to try and get well. It may or may not work for you, but you are actually taking action to feel better which is something many people never actually do.

cheers

€150 a session

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Folks, I rang the HSE today to opt in to the CIPC. It was just an answering machine where I left my details. Is that the norm? What's the waiting list like in Kildare?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Mathrew

Hi everyone..

I just have an issue about my brother regarding his depression/anxiety, and he used to drink a lot to cope with it, and might lead to addiction. I have confronted him many times to stop drinking but he wouldn't listen to me (I know he wouldn't). What else can I do for him? I could have just hit him many times(I wanted to, but it would just make things worst. Any advice?
    (I've posted it already to the other topic/area, but no response yet from the others)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Winnie21

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if they have tried acupuncture for depression/ocd? Does it help? Is there anywhere you would recommend?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

I slept in this morning and missed my counselling session. I heard the alarm go off but instead of pressing snooze I switched it off. I have another one next week so I just have to get myself into a good sleep routine which is hard as I am a night owl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

masonchat wrote: »
    Helo everyone .

I had a major breakdown recently and ended up hospitalized for few weeks

At my worst stage i was delusional and went through a teriffing experience where i was facing all my fears , now this was as real to me as real can get.

im in a reasonably good place now , had a bad day today almost went back to the hospital due to panic attacks.

Im on olanzapine at moment , i am feeling now i also need something for the anxiety, i wont be seeing my consultant for a week and half though, i hope i can hold myself togeather until then.

My problem at the moment is when you know the mind can go there , im afraid of it going back there at any time.

Funny thing is i would face most things that i know are infront of me when i know what i must face, but i suffer worse at night with the anxiety especially if i have to travel (walk) the road at night where i had to face my fears before.

Has anyone else any experience like this ??

the olanzapine should help. if not they kick it up a doze until things stabilize.

You can always go to A and E if there is a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

Roquentin wrote: »
    the olanzapine should help. if not they kick it up a doze until things stabilize.

You can always go to A and E if there is a problem

Thanks roquentin.

I am very bad today , i am fighting to stay out of hospital cos when you go in , it aint so easy to get back out.

When you are afraid of your own mind there is no place to hide.

Funny thing is i know its not rational fears i am having but they are real to me.

I was supposed to have MRI yesterday, the fact i had a panic attack on the bus up should have been enough of a warning that being clamped into a noisy tube wasnt going to end well.

I have being having mini panic attacks since and am just about holding off total melt down ,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

masonchat wrote: »
    Thanks roquentin.

I am very bad today , i am fighting to stay out of hospital cos when you go in , it aint so easy to get back out.

When you are afraid of your own mind there is no place to hide.

Funny thing is i know its not rational fears i am having but they are real to me.

I was supposed to have MRI yesterday, the fact i had a panic attack on the bus up should have been enough of a warning that being clamped into a noisy tube wasnt going to end well.

I have being having mini panic attacks since and am just about holding off total melt down ,

id say up the olanzapine

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Mason, can you call your doctor or whoever issued your prescription and ask is there anything you can do??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

My housemate moved out thank god now i can relax now and be able to do stuff with out getting giving out to.

But she left me with 4 months of Her ESB to pay, took my mop, hover bags, knifes, forks, frying pan, pot, cleaning stuff, bin bags.

Left all her gone off food in the fridge and left it open as well so the place smelled left the bins over flowing as well.

Havant been in my place in 3 weeks as was at home and my god she took everything that wasint glued down.

So my Anxiety was up today and i ended up having the shakes in my hands again thanks to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

My housemate moved out thank god now i can relax now and be able to do stuff with out getting giving out to.

But she left me with 4 months of Her ESB to pay, took my mop, hover bags, knifes, forks, frying pan, pot, cleaning stuff, bin bags.

Left all her gone off food in the fridge and left it open as well so the place smelled left the bins over flowing as well.

Havant been in my place in 3 weeks as was at home and my god she took everything that wasint glued down.

So my Anxiety was up today and i ended up having the shakes in my hands again thanks to it.

And how did you get on with the call to the landlord and the guards?

CZ 453 wrote: »
    And how did you get on with the call to the landlord and the guards?

Met the landlord right after i dropped my stuff in as i had to pay my rent and i am in luck that she hasn't giving the girl i was living with deposit back yet and i just need to give her a copy of the bill to get the money from the deposit to pay her 1/2 of the bill.

Like i got a bit of money of the landlord to replace the knife and forks as i didn't even have one left LoL.

Even funnier is that she took the hover bag out of the hover and took it with her .....

Met the landlord right after i dropped my stuff in as i had to pay my rent and i am in luck that she hasn't giving the girl i was living with deposit back yet and i just need to give her a copy of the bill to get the money from the deposit to pay her 1/2 of the bill.

Like i got a bit of money of the landlord to replace the knife and forks as i didn't even have one left LoL.

Even funnier is that she took the hover bag out of the hover and took it with her .....

Glad to hear that dude. Are you getting another housemate soon?

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Glad to hear that dude. Are you getting another housemate soon?

I think so I am getting another as there was a viewing there the other day so should be fun to find out who it is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I think so I am getting another as there was a viewing there the other day so should be fun to find out who it is

Fingers crossed it'll be someone of a much better calibre Samapple :)

Your best bet so buddy is to sharpen an axe for the next viewing.

Just after stuffing my face full of junk food. Why do I do it when it makes me feel like crap. All I can focus on now are my massive thighs.

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Just after stuffing my face full of junk food. Why do I do it when it makes me feel like crap. All I can focus on now are my massive thighs.

Don't let it get you down GF. It's too late in the evening for such matters. Tomorrow is a brand new day for us all. We can try better then. :)

Don't let it get you down GF. It's too late in the evening for such matters. Tomorrow is a brand new day for us all. We can try better then. :)

It's just annoying as I was doing so good. I don't know why I have to eat loads of junk food and then end up feeling sick. I need some self control. Anyway I hope tomorrow will be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

"I owe no explanations for my flaws. I don’t have to justify my mistakes, my past or my insecurities. I am growing and learning."

greenfrogs wrote: »
    It's just annoying as I was doing so good. I don't know why I have to eat loads of junk food and then end up feeling sick. I need some self control. Anyway I hope tomorrow will be better.

Tomorrow will be better.
    "I owe no explanations for my flaws. I don’t have to justify my mistakes, my past or my insecurities. I am growing and learning."

Well said sir.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Today was a fairly bad day I must admit. In work, I just feel like a f***ing incompetent retarded freak. Leaving work today I was actually thinking of driving up the country tomorrow to "do the deed." I just feel so miserable and horrible at the moment.

The only thing that might stop me from doing that is the thought of just going in on Monday morning, requesting a meeting with HR, and just open up and be honest. With any luck she'll buzz my AM over as well so I can let her know the reality of the situation. I don't know though. TBH, there's a large part of me who just can't see how that will benefit me. My head just feels all over the place at the moment.

You poor thing Wilberto. Would you not visit your doctor and request to get a sick note for the next week. It sounds like you really need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Hi all came across this thread about 12-18months ago and was just out of curiosity really, now I myself don't suffer from any mental health issues and I would previously have been the kind of fella that would say jaysus would they just get over it, sounds crude I know but it is the truth.

Anyway after sporadically reading some post on this thread over the past 12 months I could really feel the pain and anguish that some were going through and also could see how good others were to support each other.

Long story short a close friend of mine who has a long history with mental health issues recently started to spiral but threads like this helped me to be able to help this friend by understanding them a bit more and not to judge but to support.

So just wanted to say cheers and keep up the good work, always remember somewhere in the world someone appreciates you even if you don't always appreciate yourself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement