Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Foggy.nelson

After years of feeling stressed/depressed I've decided to see a therapist. What is the best way of going about this. I had gone to my doctor before and he just prescribed anti depressants, I kind of felt these werenot for me and I lost confidence in going to my doctor. Is the best way forward to ask a doctor straight out to refer me to a therapist?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

After years of feeling stressed/depressed I've decided to see a therapist. What is the best way of going about this. I had gone to my doctor before and he just prescribed anti depressants, I kind of felt these werenot for me and I lost confidence in going to my doctor. Is the best way forward to ask a doctor straight out to refer me to a therapist?

Find another doctor? Sure someone could recommended one. Or mention to your current one that you'd prefer non pharmacological solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Its crazy how much of a difference being busy can make.

In my line of work the last 3 months of the year are notoriously quiet and theres very little to do. This leads to lots of time thinking!

Now its January and its our busiest time, I'm flat out with work and my day to day mood has improved greatly :)

Off to the docs this afternoon though, my foot condition is just getting worse and it woke me up again last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

I'm absolutley up the creek with exams. they start in 2 weeks but I can't motivate myself to study. I wake up exhausted and fall back asleep until afternoon and then doss all day. I'm so terrified I'm paralysed, can't do anything. This will pass, just as soon as I can go and get some help and at that point I won't need it so a bit pointless then. My throat's so tight :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

After having two really rough days, which sucks cause thought I was over the worst of this low mood spell. Psych app on Monday. I'm finding it really hard to look after myself :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Never give up guys. I had just a small 'step up' today and just this has changed my whole perception on things...there is always hope.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Was asleep today (as i work nights) and missed over ten calls from work, had called in sick for the night before, but i arranged cover. I suppose they want to fire me or drag me up to dublin to 'talk' totally wound up now.

Was asleep today (as i work nights) and missed over ten calls from work, had called in sick for the night before, but i arranged cover. I suppose they want to fire me or drag me up to dublin to 'talk' totally wound up now.

You can do better than nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Mathrew

Anxiety and depression are really hard to cope with, but I know we could, and we need someone to make it easy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

fr336 wrote: »
    You can do better than nights.

I prefer nights..

• Advertisement

I prefer nights..

It's not the best for your health, or indeed anyone's.

For me it's perfect, horses for courses i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

A friend of mine was recently admitted as an involuntary patient. I'm finding it really difficult to know how to talk with him. He rings me almost every day with a new drama. He claims not to be able to have visitors. I want to visit him but I'm apprehensive.

For me it's perfect, horses for courses i guess.

Just because it feels right at the moment doesn't mean you wouldn't feel very different if you were a day worker with time. How do you know how we'll feel in different situations over time? Nothing should be set in stone like this. But what do I know :cool:

For now it's suits me it's just how things are. It doesn't mean it'll be me forever. Neither will this illness i hope..

For now it's suits me it's just how things are. It doesn't mean it'll be me forever. Neither will this illness i hope..

Well you do know that night working and staying up in the dark rather than the light isn't good for you, regardless of how you may feel. And, you don't feel good because as you say you are ill! It is synonomous with bad mental health.

Look, i'm not going to get into this with you, i get plenty of daylight, i am aware of SAD and all that, i have everything weighed up.. This is what works for me currently, not saying it's permanent, but personally this is right for me now.

So you're Einstein and know it all eh Oh wait...even he didn't know it all :D Ok ok...just trying to help...but as so often with people, failing. Bye.

Not even close to knowing everything, night time living isn't ideal for everyone, but i've lost jobs trying to do a more 'normal' type daily job thing. It's not totally right, but it's right, for me, now.

Ok sorry if I came across as insensitive, genuinely want the best for you.

• Advertisement

It's ok, i did get a little defensive, mainly the internet is great support but we don't all know each other as closely i think. This thread is amazing for us, but sure crossed wires will happen, i think, as you said, people genuinely want the best for each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Grem, is it possible they were ringing for another reason, like to check are you alright? Or to know would you be in the following night?

Possible, not probable, not terribly wonderful employers, illnesses disclosed but no tolerance whatsoever, i rarely call sick..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Could you start looking for another job?

I prob will, not just yet if i don't have to though.. Bad timing just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

anybody here ever been so bad with anxiety that they couldnt use bus or train or airplane and lived in a safe zone to your home ?

also with cbt has anybody ever been able to live a normal existance ? go on holidays and not wake up with worry in case u get it etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Am thinking of ya Grem and hoping for the best. :)
    Chloris wrote: »
    A friend of mine was recently admitted as an involuntary patient. I'm finding it really difficult to know how to talk with him. He rings me almost every day with a new drama. He claims not to be able to have visitors. I want to visit him but I'm apprehensive.

You sound like a great friend Chloris! :)

Your friend might just want to get away from it all for a while. Maybe just give him some space and time for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

is it just me or when you read so many negative or sad things that us posters are going through , it makes you feel more depressed and hopess

how about trying to only post happy stuff for a few days see if that lifts the moods ?

im 34 and suffering 17 years with debilitating anxiety , but find i feel better when reading positive stuff

positive breeds positivity ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

is it just me or when you read so many negative or sad things that us posters are going through , it makes you feel more depressed and hopess

how about trying to only post happy stuff for a few days see if that lifts the moods ?

im 34 and suffering 17 years with debilitating anxiety , but find i feel better when reading positive stuff

There is a lot of positivity on here at times.

I'd hope that people who've used this thread and get over anxiety(technically wrong to say that, I mean the debilitating type) come back here and post how they got on or how they got better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I know where you're coming from ES but it's kind of the nature of the thread though.

I use other forums for happier stuff. Like I try not to make my whole time on Boards just about the depression, if you get me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement