Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭greenfrogs

It is one day since I bought the self-help book. I actually feel a lot better already. I am beginning to pay more attention to how my thoughts, moods and behaviour are linked. And that I have improved slightly in the last few months. Hopefully this is just the start and I will continue to become more self-aware and change my bad habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

greenfrogs wrote: »
    It is one day since I bought the self-help book. I actually feel a lot better already. I am beginning to pay more attention to how my thoughts, moods and behaviour are linked. And that I have improved slightly in the last few months. Hopefully this is just the start and I will continue to become more self-aware and change my bad habits.

Context is very important.

CZ 453 wrote: »
    You go gurl!!! :cool: One day at a time.

I've signed up to a 12 week weight loss programme. Can't wait. January should be fun :)

Thanks. I think this book has just shown me the bigger picture of doing my thought records which I do as homework for CBT. It is extremely well written. I feel like some sentences are written just for me.

Good luck on your programme. It feels so good when you lose weight. It is also cool to see your body changing and becoming stronger. I did a personal training programme for 6 weeks during the summer. I never kept up the exercise though. I am looking into increasing my exercise myself and eating healthy in January. I think I will start doing yoga or pilates as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

greenfrogs wrote: »
    Thanks. I think this book has just shown me the bigger picture of doing my thought records which I do as homework for CBT. It is extremely well written. I feel like some sentences are written just for me.

Good luck on your programme. It feels so good when you lose weight. It is also cool to see your body changing and becoming stronger. I did a personal training programme for 6 weeks during the summer. I never kept up the exercise though. I am looking into increasing my exercise myself and eating healthy in January. I think I will start doing yoga or pilates as well.

What results did you get?

• Advertisement

What results did you get?

I can't remember the exact results. I think I lost around 4 pounds. I did lose an inch around my thighs and arms. I thought for me it was really good as I learnt how to use the gym equipment. I chose to ignore the fact that I probably went once after my PT finished :o
    But I wasn't eating well around the time. So if you put a lot of effort in I'd say you would see good results.

I have lost around 2 stone over the last few years. I didn't exercise much around those times, it was mainly eating the right foods and walking a few times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Thinking of going back to college next year. Feeling like an absolute waster at the moment. I dropped out shortly after Christmas last year but have finally started to get the help I need. Don't know how I will manage money-wise but just feel like I need to get a plan for my life sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Any tips to calm anxiety apart from the breathing one because that does not work for me... anything... at all.. panic attacks too..:(

Any tips to calm anxiety apart from the breathing one because that does not work for me... anything... at all.. panic attacks too..:(

http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/treatment/exercising

http://www.calmclinic.com in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Don't feel good at night at all recently, never want to see the following morning..

• Advertisement

Don't feel good at night at all recently, never want to see the following morning..

Why? :(

fr336 wrote: »
    Why? :(

Not a clue, have felt this way for the past 6 months or so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

All sorts of tense. No idea why. With icy ground it's not helping I'll be like a board soon.. My head is fried from just a confused and fuzzy head..

All sorts of tense. No idea why. With icy ground it's not helping I'll be like a board soon.. My head is fried from just a confused and fuzzy head..

Same. In all departments. :( But hoping to finally make it to the gym tomorrow and use this http://www.thegymgroup.com/equipment/myride/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Well we're not alone at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Hugs to you two

Thanks Hugo, hope you're doing ok..

Aeternum wrote: »
    Thinking of going back to college next year. Feeling like an absolute waster at the moment. I dropped out shortly after Christmas last year but have finally started to get the help I need. Don't know how I will manage money-wise but just feel like I need to get a plan for my life sorted.

What age are you? Did you like the course you were doing? Did you drop out for anxiety reasons?

What age are you? Did you like the course you were doing? Did you drop out for anxiety reasons?

I'm 20. Yeah I enjoyed the course itself, was living away from home though and think that contributed to how miserable I was. I hated the college life, but enjoyed college itself. I used to lock myself in my room in the evening because I couldn't deal with housemates or going out drinking.

I'm considering a few courses which are closer to home so I wouldn't have to move out, I think staying at home would make it a lot easier and the courses would have much smaller classes so I wouldn't have to deal with as many people.

Someone give me a slap around the face please...preferably with a wet fish...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

won't slap ya. You can have a big hug though.

Pretty down n anxious this evening. And the last few days to be honest.

All im hearing lately is people taking their lives on the news and locally. It's all so sad and frightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

2nd year of college is going better for me.... housemates wise. not sure its because one of them constantly brought me down
    or because im actually sharing with friends this year

Aeternum wrote: »
    I'm 20. Yeah I enjoyed the course itself, was living away from home though and think that contributed to how miserable I was. I hated the college life, but enjoyed college itself. I used to lock myself in my room in the evening because I couldn't deal with housemates or going out drinking.

I'm considering a few courses which are closer to home so I wouldn't have to move out, I think staying at home would make it a lot easier and the courses would have much smaller classes so I wouldn't have to deal with as many people.

That's a tricky one. Are the courses closer to home the same type or are they as good?

Your problem was loneliness, not the course and your course may dictate your career. Tricky tricky.

Your health is obviously the most important thing. I wonder is there anything you could do without having to move closer to home?

The wet fish part made me laugh. Why a wet fish? :pac:

Hope you're doing better now.

Im being put under fierce pressure to "celebrate" new years with some people, because i apparently can't spend it alone. Its sac religious!!!!
    How many times can I politely refuse without loosing the plot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

handbagmad wrote: »
    Im being put under fierce pressure to "celebrate" new years with some people, because i apparently can't spend it alone. Its sac religious!!!!

I feel your pain. I'm being dragged along to my brother's wife's aunt's New Year's Party, mainly because I'm the driver. To say I'm not really looking forward to it would be an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

handbagmad wrote: »
    Wilberto wrote: »
    I feel your pain. I'm being dragged along to my brother's wife's aunt's New Year's Party, mainly because I'm the driver. To say I'm not really looking forward to it would be an understatement.

That sucks guys, sorry to hear it.

Wilberto wrote: »

Im perfectly content to watch tv that night with maybe a takeaway by myself. Why is this so hard to understand.

That's a tricky one. Are the courses closer to home the same type or are they as good?

Your problem was loneliness, not the course and your course may dictate your career. Tricky tricky.

Your health is obviously the most important thing. I wonder is there anything you could do without having to move closer to home?

No, courses are completely different. I was doing BA English & History, it was a four year degree. There are a few PLC courses locally that I'm looking at, I know in my heart and soul I wouldn't be able to move away again. No way would I be able to afford the fees either.

I live in Mayo so not many options locally. I just wanna do something like, everyone around me is in college or finished and working and I just feel like a failure if I don't do something.

• Advertisement

I went to college for the first time in September, dropped out in October. Honestly have no plans to still be around to go back next September.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement