Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoT Illiterate Season 4 finale *HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Does anyone know where the mountaintop scenes with Arya, The Hound, Brienne were filmed? Was it Ireland? If so, which mountains?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Does anyone know where the mountaintop scenes with Arya, The Hound, Brienne were filmed? Was it Ireland? If so, which mountains?

You won't find him there ;P it's too late..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Looking at it again, it looks more like Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Read this wiki, in the notes section, but only specifically about this episode. It doesn't spoil anything, but it does explain fully the reasons for Tyrion doing what he did.

I dissagree. If you are refering to what that wiki says about his motivation to go fins Tywin. That is the book motivation. I don't think it has any relation to the tv show at all.

In the tv show, I'm taking it that Tyrion goes to the tower of the hand because he knows his father is having him executed even though he is innocent. I think he was pretty stupid though, he should have just left, but in the end it works out well for him, kind of!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think the glow was mainly supposed to be from the fire, the glow from a fire that size would easily have been visible from where they were even with the wall there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63mh7htd5OI
    They can quite clearly see the fire from the other side of the wall. The Warg wasn't necessary for that.

• Advertisement

jebidiah wrote: »
    I dissagree. If you are refering to what that wiki says about his motivation to go fins Tywin. That is the book motivation. I don't think it has any relation to the tv show at all.

In the tv show, I'm taking it that Tyrion goes to the tower of the hand because he knows his father is having him executed even though he is innocent. I think he was pretty stupid though, he should have just left, but in the end it works out well for him, kind of!
    Whether Tywin really was going to allow Tyrion to be executed or not, Tyrion certainly believed Tywin was going to do so. Why would he seek him out? To kill him? He only seemed to be enraged enough to kill his father after finding Shae. Still not sure why he went walkabout in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Whether Tywin really was going to allow Tyrion to be executed or not, Tyrion certainly believed Tywin was going to do so. Why would he seek him out? To kill him? He only seemed to be enraged enough to kill his father after finding Shae. Still not sure why he went walkabout in the first place.

I agree! I'd of legged it.

But then again he is tywins son, hear me roar and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Yeah but this was the last he was going to see of his family. He probably couldn't leave without confronting his father that had sentenced him to death even knowing he was innocent. He seemed very confused and hurt over the fact Tywin was happy to see him dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It was a bit like the ending of Heat when De Niro is on the way out of the country and suddenly decides to turn back to square things with the guy who betrayed him.

It's just the desire for closure no matter what the risk is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I think it's in Iceland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

They can quite clearly see the fire from the other side of the wall. The Warg wasn't necessary for that.

Looks like we're both right, the warg says "it's time" as the owl on the wall has seen what's happening, they all look up and can see the glow from the fire. It's funny what bits you remember and what you don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

Ah, I've never bought this argument.

Just because 24 has some far fetched things, doesn't mean that it would be reasonable for Jack Bauer to use an invisibility device, or a gun that shrinks his enemies to the size of tumb-tacks.

Or if in Breaking Bad it turned out that Gus Fring was using Sky Blue to fund the building of a giant cannon on the moon that could be used to blow up the earth. The fact that Gus Fring's enterprise is a bit unrealistic wouldn't make that okay.

I'm fine with skeletons being controlled like puppets... but this didn't seem to be the case. Who are the puppeteers and what are the rules on their usage? If the skeletons are sentient, that throws up a whole different set of questions...

That's not really the same thing at all. 24 and Breaking Bad both have a questionable premise, but they're still set in the same universe that we are. Plus, what you're saying is that just because a show is far fetched, that doesn't mean you can introduce something entirely unrealistic and not humanly possible. Which I agree with, but that's different to what we're talking about here. Skeletons coming to life is already something completely unrealistic, but we can forgive that because this is a fantasy adventure show. It seems strange then to get hung up on something like how the skeletons can see, when you're already going along with the fact that they're alive in the first place!

bopper wrote: »
    That's not really the same thing at all. 24 and Breaking Bad both have a questionable premise, but they're still set in the same universe that we are. Plus, what you're saying is that just because a show is far fetched, that doesn't mean you can introduce something entirely unrealistic and not humanly possible. Which I agree with, but that's different to what we're talking about here. Skeletons coming to life is already something completely unrealistic, but we can forgive that because this is a fantasy adventure show. It seems strange then to get hung up on something like how the skeletons can see, when you're already going along with the fact that they're alive in the first place!
    Nobody's hung up on that. Who put them there and why are the questions. Magic is magic, but we expect motivation to be exactly the same as in our universe, otherwise there is nothing to relate to in a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

Nobody's hung up on that. Who put them there and why are the questions. Magic is magic, but we expect motivation to be exactly the same as in our universe, otherwise there is nothing to relate to in a show.

Actually the post I originally replied to is.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

So why did they send the Warg up onto the rooftop then?

Also, they can see the glow from the fire in the night sky. They cannot see the fire itself. And none of them looked up until the Warg said "It's time".

We don't know why he was seeking him out. We would have found out but he found Shae in his father's bed, something he was not expecting to find, and whether or not that changed his plans we do not yet know. Perhaps he will reveal his reasoning next season when speaking to another character.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Lemlin wrote: »
    We don't know why he was seeking him out. We would have found out but he found Shae in his father's bed, something he was not expecting to find, and whether or not that changed his plans we do not yet know. Perhaps he will reveal his reasoning next season when speaking to another character.

I think it definitely changes his reasoning. He only gets the crossbow after killing Shae. Although I'm not quite sure what he was planning - was he just going to talk with his father and expect him to let him escape? I still don't think that Tywin was going to let him be executed but at the same time, Tyrion could not be sure.

Degag wrote: »
    I think it definitely changes his reasoning. He only gets the crossbow after killing Shae. Although I'm not quite sure what he was planning - was he just going to talk with his father and expect him to let him escape? I still don't think that Tywin was going to let him be executed but at the same time, Tyrion could not be sure.

We don't even know though if he planned to speak to his father. For all we know, he was going to the room to grab a valuable possession.

After all, Tyrion likes his vices and he is facing the prospect of leaving with nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

It was a good episode but it was very rushed and a little disappointed.

At the start when the army started attacking I thought great another brilliant battle. Hadn't a clue who it was, could have been the white walkers, could have been the Boltons, could have been Stanis....Could have been a mixture of everyone but the battle was over in about 3 minutes. Where were the 100,000 wildlings? Where were the giants? You can't defeat an army that quickly just because you've a few horses and if it was so easy for Stanis to get North of the wall why couldn't the wildlings build a boat themselves to go south?

The Calisi story is starting to bore me. She gets a couple of minutes per episode and it's always the same thing. She has 3 dragons, why did she only lock up 2?

Loved the fight with Brienne and the Hound but wasn't happy to see him killed off. Thought himself and Arya made a good team and they'd work together till they eventually fought and them she killed him. Still hoping he makes a return after she's had more training from the other guy she's going to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Lemlin wrote: »
    We don't even know though if he planned to speak to his father. For all we know, he was going to the room to grab a valuable possession.

After all, Tyrion likes his vices and he is facing the prospect of leaving with nothing.

Maybe, don't see why he entered his room unless he was going to speak to him.
    The Calisi story is starting to bore me. She gets a couple of minutes per episode and it's always the same thing. She has 3 dragons, why did she only lock up 2?

One has gone AWOL.

• Advertisement

Yeah, if he was after something valuable wouldn't he have gone to his own quarters? He knew he'd run into Tywin, even if not Shae, since that's who's room he went to. And since he was convinced Tywin was going to let him be executed, he must have been going there to kill him all along.

One was reported to her as being seen flying off somewhere. Presumably Bran will get his warging on that one first. Can Bran and Dany come to a pact long term though, with him staying north of the wall and somebody who isn't a complete looney as king? Hope Dany keeps those two locked up dragons well fed for when Bran needs them.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

I agree with some of the poster above regarding the ease at which Stannis could defeat 100,000 wildlings. Since season 2, the nights watch have been getting warnings about Mance building an huge wildling army, but they surrender to Stannis without much of a fight. Will be interesting to see what Stannis will do with the captured wildlings now. Does he want to recruit them for an attack on Kings Landing or the white walkers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    I agree with some of the poster above regarding the ease at which Stannis could defeat 100,000 wildlings. Since season 2, the nights watch have been getting warnings about Mance building an huge wildling army, but they surrender to Stannis without much of a fight. Will be interesting to see what Stannis will do with the captured wildlings now. Does he want to recruit them for an attack on Kings Landing or the white walkers?
    I think the surrender has a lot do do with Mance wanting to save the wildings not get them killed needlessly.

Yeah, if he was after something valuable wouldn't he have gone to his own quarters? He knew he'd run into Tywin, even if not Shae, since that's who's room he went to. And since he was convinced Tywin was going to let him be executed, he must have been going there to kill him all along.

Not if he's looking for something that is kept in the quarters of the Hand of the King. Or perhaps he has no access to his own room through the tunnel system so goes to the Hand's.

My own theory is that he planned to confront him. His hope was that he would have one last chance at staying. I can't see Tyrion being very happy without the riches of his family. I can see him risking his life to try and keep those.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,279 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The entire wildling army likely wasn't located in that one camp though. They were probably spread out a bit along the Wall in separate camps and used wargs or something to communicate with each other. It'd make no sense to have the whole wildling army in one place. But once Stannis attacked, there was no point in trying to fight. They were caught completely off-guard, they're not as well trained, armoured or experienced as Stannis' army, and they'd already lost a lot of men in the attack on the Wall and didn't want to lose more unnecessarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

They were caught unaware on both flanks by mounted cavalry. They would have been butchered had they not surrendered and Mance knew it which is why to gave the order to stand down.

By the sounds of it though Stannis will recruit them and possibly come to some arrangement giving them land in the north swearing fealty to him and fighting for him to take the kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Pugsly wrote: »
    They were caught unaware on both flanks by mounted cavalry. They would have been butchered had they not surrendered and Mance knew it which is why to gave the order to stand down.

By the sounds of it though Stannis will recruit them and possibly come to some arrangement giving them land in the north swearing fealty to him and fighting for him to take the kingdom.

I highly doubt they will swear fealty to Stannis considering their big thing is not kneeling to any king in the south. I could see them defending the wall if Stannis trusts them after talking with Mance though. Not for land, but to avoid the white walkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Feed me Seymour

I watched the episode a 2nd time last night, and I'm hoping someone could help me with a query I have.

Where did Arya go: Bravos or the North? I had originally presumed it was Bravos, but when I viewed it again last night, the coast line was to the left, which would mean she is heading North (I presume the Vale is on the East coast and she hardly travelled to the other side in a few minutes on her own).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

I watched the episode a 2nd time last night, and I'm hoping someone could help me with a query I have.

Where did Arya go: Bravos or the North? I had originally presumed it was Bravos, but when I viewed it again last night, the coast line was to the left, which would mean she is heading North (I presume the Vale is on the East coast and she hardly travelled to the other side in a few minutes on her own).

The assumption would be Bravos. The coin she gave the Captain was from Jaqen H'ghar, the assassin bloke from an earlier series. The deal was if she ever needed to meet him again to give that coin to anyone from Bravos and they would take her to him.

Advertisement