Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoT Illiterate Season 4 finale *HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

DeVore wrote: »
    Thing is.... this ISNT the season finale... its only a mid-term break. That may explain why people don't feel the same about it. We're only half way through the season.

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

quad_red wrote: »
    As for the Hound - he really became an awesome character as a foil to Arya. Not sure how he would have fared without her.

He was becoming a pretty kickass character before meeting Arya to be fair.

"Fúck the King":pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thing is.... this ISNT the season finale... its only a mid-term break. That may explain why people don't feel the same about it. We're only half way through the season.
    Not GoT :)

The seasons are short, unlike other shows which are twenty episodes. No more GoT until April 2015.

This was probably deliberate to stretch it out into as many seasons as possible without having to add a tonne of filler into each season (which wouldn't be hard tbh). Fewer episodes creates a bigger frenzy, which means that ad space between them is more expensive. It also keeps viewer attention for longer, as it's easier to keep pace with the story. Whereas if you missed 3 episodes in the middle of a 20-episode season you would be left running to catch up and you might just drop off and stop watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I still don't understand Shae.

I took the reason she testified so spitefully against Tyrion in court was her being afraid of her life combined with her taking Tyrion's words against her (whore etc.) as being sincere (rather than him trying to get her to safety).

So are we to take it now that Shae never meant any of it? That the 'my lion' stuff was just her giving Tyrion what he wanted?

But that doesn't make sense because in S3 Varys tried to get Shea to safety and offered her bag of precious stones and a full setup across the narrow sea. And if she was purely selfishly motivated surely she would've taken the offer then?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

bopper wrote: »
    If you're able to go along with the notion of skeletons coming to life in the first place, you really shouldn't have a problem with suspension of disbelief for the rest.

Ah, I've never bought this argument.

Just because 24 has some far fetched things, doesn't mean that it would be reasonable for Jack Bauer to use an invisibility device, or a gun that shrinks his enemies to the size of tumb-tacks.

Or if in Breaking Bad it turned out that Gus Fring was using Sky Blue to fund the building of a giant cannon on the moon that could be used to blow up the earth. The fact that Gus Fring's enterprise is a bit unrealistic wouldn't make that okay.

I'm fine with skeletons being controlled like puppets... but this didn't seem to be the case. Who are the puppeteers and what are the rules on their usage? If the skeletons are sentient, that throws up a whole different set of questions...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,173 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

seamus wrote: »

The seasons are short, unlike other shows which are twenty episodes. No more GoT until April 2015.

This was probably deliberate to stretch it out into as many seasons as possible without having to add a tonne of filler into each season (which wouldn't be hard tbh). Fewer episodes creates a bigger frenzy, which means that ad space between them is more expensive. It also keeps viewer attention for longer, as it's easier to keep pace with the story. Whereas if you missed 3 episodes in the middle of a 20-episode season you would be left running to catch up and you might just drop off and stop watching.

HBO tend not to do the whole 20 episodes a season thing anyway, plus the show is probably too expensive for them to stretch it out anymore. It's a shame in some ways, I really think it would benefit from a bit more breathing space sometimes, even an extra 2 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

As Mance said, he wanted no more bloodshed of his people (Wildlings). He explained to Jon that they were trying to head south before winter comes around again (and presumably the walkers). They were only attacking Castle black because they needed to herd everyone through the tunnel to go south of the wall. If Stannis captures them all as prisoners and takes them south anyway, why put up a fight?
    Didn't he also say he'd sent thousands off to climb the wall? I forget how many he actually said.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,173 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Didn't he also say he'd sent thousands off to climb the wall? I forget how many he actually said.

400 I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

going against the grain here but i didn't like that episode too much
    wasn't too bad but not overly brilliant.

some silly stuff annoyed me.

the hound losing to brienne - like fcuk that.
    The hound kicked everybody's ass so far and loses to her...ffs.

tyrion guilty of killing the king , teh night before his execution - escapes from his cell the night before execution and has the time to stop off to kill whores and have a heart to heart with dad.
    and nobody notices...

and then varys , the smoothest operator in kings landing, still hangs about waiting on him.

pull the other one.:rolleyes:

I miss the wilding one who went off with bran's brother . She was always tastier than the red head wildings. Jon snow can keep his red head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Necromancy. The skeletons are put in place to guard the entrance to the underground dwelling. This is why they cannot enter it and why they only 'wake up' when someone is close to it. They aren't controlled by anyone but themselves and the sense of vibrations in close proximity.

I thought this was a given...

I haven't read the books....... so maybe I'm wrong and they're a special type of underground skeleton that traverse the 7 kingdoms likes moles.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

You see, this is the weird thing about this screen adaption. They cut out so much, and rush so many of the plotlines along, they are quickly running out of content.

Bran's plot is pretty much up to date with the books. Maybe one episode behind! If book 7 doesn't get released soon they will have to write Bran's plot before George RR Martin!

More or less the same situation with a couple of other characters.

Unless the writers for GOT go back to content that they skipped and elaborate on the war, then they'll simply run out...

Not sure how'd they'd do that though... and the fact that they had Daenerys take Mereen in what... 3 minutes flat... makes me skeptical about their desire to do so.

Probably just get lots of Cersei-Jamie and Dany-(that guy who leads the Second Sons whose name I forget) romance filler. :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Brienne is six three and a bad ass. She's already beaten Ser Loras and Ser Jaime in hand to hand, both of whom are popularly considered to be amongst the most skilled fighters in the seven kingdoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Mickeroo wrote: »
    400 I thought.

I'm not 100% on this did he say at least 400 would make it over the wall

going against the grain here but i didn't like that episode too much
    wasn't too bad but not overly brilliant.

The hound was gradually becoming weaker from the infected bite on the beck that he refused to let Arya disinfect with fire.
    tyrion guilty of killing the king , teh night before his execution - escapes from his cell the night before execution and has the time to stop off to kill whores and have a heart to heart with dad.
    and nobody notices...

and then varys , the smoothest operator in kings landing, still hangs about waiting on him.

It wasn't Varys waiting at the top of the steps. It was one of his agents. But Tyrion goes AWOL and ends up turning up at Varys' quarters unexpectedly. Hence he ****s the escape plan and Varys is forced to improvise. He then relies he is too exposed and his role likely revealed. Hence he leaves on the same ship as Tyrion.

Brienne is six three and a bad ass. She's already beaten Ser Loras and Ser Jaime in hand to hand, both of whom are popularly considered to be amongst the most skilled fighters in the seven kingdoms.

To be fair - both Jaime and the Hound were weakened. Jaime had been tied to a post for months and the Hound was sick with the infected neck wound...

mightyreds wrote: »

Oh maybe that's what he said so, was late when I watched it last night but I definitely remember him saying 400 but yeah maybe that's how many he expected to make it across.

We were wondering about the fight between her and Gregor, it seemed needlessly long and brutal, but my wife made the good point that the intention was probably to show her mask dropping.
    Whereas she holds herself up as this good and honourable fighter, and that's who she wants to be, Gregor is the polar opposite and has no interest in a clean or a fair fight. He will be brutal and dirty and dishonourable.
    Rather than killing him, she holds her sword to his neck to give him the option of surrender, and she almost loses her life for making that mistake.

When faced with the potential of losing, we see that she can be as dirty as the best of them and lose her temper/composure just as well.
    mightyreds wrote: »
    Yeah, he said 400.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

To be fair - both Jaime and the Hound were weakened. Jaime had been tied to a post for months and the Hound was sick with the infected neck wound...
    Even the more reason for Brienne winning to be a realistic outcome.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Oh maybe that's what he said so, was late when I watched it last night but I definitely remember him saying 400 but yeah maybe that's how many he expected to make it across.

Given that there were only what, fifty or so crows left, then any substantial amount of wild lings over would have given victory.

There could have only be 20 max left on top of the wall. Once they held the top of the wall they could go at the gate with maximum force.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Eh? This was mostly the final half of the third book from what's been said to the press. Some elements of other books apparently but this isn't a season that ends mid-way through a book.

Certainly played like a season finale too.

walshb wrote: »
    Bit of a tame finale. Getting fed up with the Khaleese story. Her just answering queries from the people she freed. The Bran story is also a bit stale now.

If you genuinely think that was a tame finale I'm lost for words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Necromancy. The skeletons are put in place to guard the entrance to the underground dwelling. This is why they cannot enter it and why they only 'wake up' when someone is close to it. They aren't controlled by anyone but themselves and the sense of vibrations in close proximity.

I thought this was a given...

I haven't read the books....... so maybe I'm wrong and they're a special type of underground skeleton that traverse the 7 kingdoms likes moles.

:pac:

I thought the same thing. Like in Harry Potter when Harry and Dumbledore enter the cave and all the bodies are in the water to prevent them from getting to and from the island in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Was it wrong that I kinda laughed when Brann thought he was gonna be able walk again and the weird old tree man just went "You'll never walk again" - crushing Branns heart:pac:
    Degag wrote: »
    He was becoming a pretty kickass character before meeting Arya to be fair.

"Fúck the King":pac:

He also had such great lines as:
    Hound: Only cúnts name their swords..
    Ayra: Lots of people name their swords..
    Hound: Lots of cúnts..

And the classic:

Hound: I'll have two chickens..

I took the reason she testified so spitefully against Tyrion in court was her being afraid of her life combined with her taking Tyrion's words against her (whore etc.) as being sincere (rather than him trying to get her to safety).

So are we to take it now that Shae never meant any of it? That the 'my lion' stuff was just her giving Tyrion what he wanted?

But that doesn't make sense because in S3 Varys tried to get Shea to safety and offered her bag of precious stones and a full setup across the narrow sea. And if she was purely selfishly motivated surely she would've taken the offer then?
    Aye, I think she did have feeling for him - possibly even loved him - but she didn't get that Tyrion said those things to save her and took it for the truth.. going and tesifying against him and banging his dad (a man she knew he hated) was rough though..
    Remember The Hound had been slowed down due to his infected bite - Ayra was going on about how he was "walking slower" - I say this had a big impact. Plus Brienne is no slouch - she bet Loras Tyrel in a duel infront of Renly if you remember?
    and nobody notices...
    I'll admit this one alright, no guards for the hand was bit odd.. you could make the argument that Tywin sent them away due to him banging Shae but I don't really buy that myself..
    Remember durying the trial Varys said "I never forget a thing" - guess he was indicating that he'll save Tyrion??

I miss the wilding one who went off with bran's brother . She was always tastier than the red head wildings. Jon snow can keep his red head.
    aye she was hot alright, she is gone with the youngest Stark (name escapes me)
    Had to laugh at Jojen, he got super killed. Stabbed like 8 or 9 times, then throat sliced, then fire grenaded.

tumblr_mpsyp814U91sap74ho1_250.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Why didn't Arya kill the hound ? He was on her list, they had gotten pretty close and he was suffering. Why just walk away ? Thought that was strange, didn't know whether she couldn't kill someone she had grown close to or really hated him and wanted him to suffer. Her heading off to Bravos was pretty well expected too.

The fight between the Hound and Brienne was really well done. I initially though, how does a woman beat the Hound ? But then she beat Loras, he gave Jamie a run for his money. And she's tough as nails. The part at the end with her beating the head off him with the rock was good.

Thought the Bran story line was a bit of a dud. Literally went nowhere the entire season. It ended with us knowing what we already knew. He can control animals, he'll probably control a dragon. Bar the skeletons which reminded me of Golden Axe I thought it was all weak compared with the rest of the episode.

Stannis's arrival at the wildling camp was brilliant. Finally he's doing something ! I think too he's learned his lesson and wont go direct to Kings Landing but will conquer the North as Rob did. With the Boltons in control after selling out the Starks the other houses will back Stannis.

Tyrion's escape and flight was great too. Thought for sure Jamie was sending him to his death at the bequest of Cersei. One last cruel display of his family ****ing him over. Didn't see the Shae and Twin thing coming. Varys leaving on the ship was interesting. I recall him saying that kings had come and gone but he was always there. I think he realised its all f*cked with Tywin dead.

Daenerys locking up the dragons coupled with her dealing with the slaves who wanted to go back to their masters was interesting too. Really seems her interesting in retaking the Iron throne is pretty much gone.

All in all a great episode and good finale for wrapping up old storyline/setting up new tangents. Have to say four seasons down and its not only not losing quality its maintaining it and even possibly getting better. I think it is without doubt the best TV show I have ever watched. Roll on season 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I think she meant all of it with Tyrion and was hell bent on revenge. She didn't take the harsh goodbye as a means to protect her at all.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oops, you're right. I knew it wouldn't be back until April but I thought it was just a sort of mid-season break rather than a season being only 10 episodes.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/ratings/hbos-game-of-thrones-closes-with-7-1-million-viewers-sunday-1201221238/

Quite annoying tbh...

Grimebox wrote: »
    I think she meant all of it with Tyrion and was hell bent on revenge. She didn't take the harsh goodbye as a means to protect her at all.

I just don't get it though. It doesn't make sense. She begged Tyrion to go to Volantis with her. She didn't mind when he was stripped of his role as the hand after he almost got offed at the blackwater.

It seemed real. And it's one thing to be spiteful. But to make up a big story about him and Sansa plotting to kill Jeoffrey and then going and bonking his father with exactly the same 'loving' phrases (my lion) is pure weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Arya was definitely leaving the hound to suffer. He wanted her to put him out of his misery and finish him quick but it seems she decided to let him die a slow death. She has become pretty ruthless and cold and wants to be seen this way. Leaving the hound to suffer was a great way to show this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Pugsly wrote: »
    Stannis's arrival at the wildling camp was brilliant. Finally he's doing something ! I think too he's learned his lesson and wont go direct to Kings Landing but will conquer the North as Rob did. With the Boltons in control after selling out the Starks the other houses will back Stannis.

That's not why he is there though. Go back and watch the few Stannis bits this season again, then look at the very last person you see at Castle Black. Then think about the grand scheme of what is actually going on in the North and it is all too apparent why he is there. If he was going to conquer the North he would not have needed to go beyond the wall.

It seemed real. And it's one thing to be spiteful. But to make up a big story about him and Sansa plotting to kill Jeoffrey and then going and bonking his father with exactly the same 'loving' phrases (my lion) is pure weird.
    She was angry about his marriage to Sansa and thought that she had been spurned, that the attempt to send her to Volantis was to just get her to piss off.
    In comes Tywin with his money and then later a chance to get revenge on Tyrion and Sansa and she jumps at it. That's why calling her a "whore" cut Tyrion so deeply, because Tywin had effectively proven to Tyrion for a second time that the woman he loved could be bought into anyone's bed with enough money.

Tywin did the same thing when Tyrion was a teenager with a prostitute he'd fallen in love with except that he paid the woman to have sex with soldiers and forced Tyrion to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Loved that feeling of finally getting closer towards End Game of this. King's landing is fooked, glad that it's Tyrion as well considering it would have fell without him before Tywin came back.

Advertisement