Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average take home pay of 25-49 year olds in Ireland is €790!!!???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Wow, that's some commute. How long is the round trip?

Probably wouldn't take much longer to commute to Dublin and you could probably add 4-5k to your salary. Something to consider anyway. ;)

50 min each way.
    It wouldn't be worth my while working in dublin.
    Takes longer to get to and would spend more on diesel and tolls.

Wow, that's some commute. How long is the round trip?

Probably wouldn't take much longer to commute to Dublin and you could probably add 4-5k to your salary. Something to consider anyway. ;)

Athlone - Galway is a handy enough commute. Motorway all the way 40 to 50 mins depending on how brave you are with the right foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Sounds about right. Ireland isn't suffering. People just like a good whinge.

Is that you Enda? Enough of the codology please.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Average earnings, prelim data for 2016 q2

21.93 per hour

704 per week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Geuze wrote: »
    Average earnings, prelim data for 2016 q2

21.93 per hour

704 per week

Presumably this is gross, not net? Or....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Gross.

If the average is €700 per week after tax where the hell are all those jobs.

€22 per hour is about €570 per week after tax.

Gross.

That's what I thought, must be gross, but the start of this thread stated that the average take-home pay from 25-49 year olds was €790 a week.

I'm calling bull**** on that one.

Or... maybe it is the average but very skewed from a few seven figure income types. The median income would be a better guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

This thread is depressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    This thread is depressing :(

It's also 2 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

That's what I thought, must be gross, but the start of this thread stated that the average take-home pay from 25-49 year olds was €790 a week.

Or... maybe it is the average but very skewed from a few seven figure income types. The median income would be a better guide.
    I haven't read the entire thread, but I did a quick calculation on the pwc website based on a married couple with one earning 50k gross and the other not earning at all and the net take home after a pension deduction of €2,500 was €730 per week.

That age group would have a high proportion of married couples in it. Whether one or both are earning would be a factor, but that's what I came up with.

• Advertisement

Gross.

Wages are always quoted gross.

Plus these are means, not medians.

I can get you median household income, if you like.

See the CSO SILC.

2014 median household incomes

gross = 40,338

disposable = 34,796 after taxes paid and social benefits rec'd

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/silc/surveyonincomeandlivingconditions2014/

I haven't read the entire thread, but I did a quick calculation on the pwc website based on a married couple with one earning 50k gross and the other not earning at all and the net take home after a pension deduction of €2,500 was €730 per week.

That age group would have a high proportion of married couples in it. Whether one or both are earning would be a factor, but that's what I came up with.

I guess in that scenario the unemployed half of the marriage doesn't technically have a take home pay, so the 730 would stand, but the average income then would be 365 in that case.

Like I saw somewhere before, averages can be meaningless, the average person has one testicle and one ovary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Pac1Man wrote: »
    It's also 2 years old.
    Does that make it uplifting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Gross.

Most people have a salary, not an hourly rate.

smash wrote: »

Yes but most people have a 'standard working week' in cases where it's salaried, 39 hours a week for 40K/yr or whatever (usually with some sort of clause that wiggles extra hours out of them for free) which you'd be able to work out a nominal hourly rate from.

Geuze wrote: »
    I can get you median household income, if you like.

See the CSO SILC.

2014 median household incomes

gross = 40,338

disposable = 34,796 after taxes paid and social benefits rec'd

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/silc/surveyonincomeandlivingconditions2014/

Using that median, and assuming 52 weeks a year, we're now down to approx €669 net a week (I refuse to use "disposable" in this instance, surely disposable is what's left after you've paid your rent/mortgage and bills and essentials?).

I'd say that's a bit closer to the truth of it.

smash wrote: »

Not in my experience.

In any case it's very easy to work out. Divide gross salary by 52, then 39 for a flat week hourly rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It's amazing what you can need to live on if you get used to it coming in.

I was taking home three times as much ten years ago as I am now, probably better off now though when all is said and done.

Same. If I hadn't been paying huge rent I'd have some lovely savings :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Not in my experience.

In any case it's very easy to work out. Divide gross salary by 52, then 39 for a flat week hourly rate.

39 hour week? Must be great to have 3 days off every week.

• Advertisement

lawlolawl wrote: »

There's always an arsehole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's a standard 9-6 Monday to Friday, to be fair.

I'm payed an hours rate but I put in more hours than I get payed for. Answering call and emails all time up to 11 and all weekends.

Only get payed extra overtime if I'm on site.

That's a standard 9-6 Monday to Friday, to be fair.

Actually do 8-4 4 days and 8-3 one day with 1 15min break a day.

Actually do 8-4 4 days and 8-3 one day with 1 15min break a day.
    That's 37.5 hours.

Using that median, and assuming 52 weeks a year, we're now down to approx €669 net a week (I refuse to use "disposable" in this instance, surely disposable is what's left after you've paid your rent/mortgage and bills and essentials?).

I'd say that's a bit closer to the truth of it.

Note that's household income, not per person.

Also note that the accepted use of disposable by the CSO / ESRI, etc. is after taxes and social benefits.

I realise that the general public think of disposable as being after bills, rent, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Holy sh*t is everyone thick as a double ditch here and the author of the article included. Lol. Anyone with half a brain would realise the figures relate to combined income of couple's living together aswell bringing the average way up and distorted since the thicko writing it hasnt even a clue what he is writing, what disposable income is nor what a calender is lol. Jesus. Ye think you'd be able to put two and two ffs. I guess his missus does the money minding in his house l o f*cking l

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

I'm payed an hours rate but I put in more hours than I get payed for. Answering call and emails all time up to 11 and all weekends.

Only fools and slaves work for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Holy sh*t is everyone thick as a double ditch here and the author of the article included. Lol. Anyone with half a brain would realise the figures relate to combined income of couple's living together aswell bringing the average way up and distorted since the thicko writing it hasnt even a clue what he is writing, what disposable income is nor what a calender is lol. Jesus. Ye think you'd be able to put two and two ffs. I guess his missus does the money minding in his house l o f*cking l

Nice meltdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Then you Sir/Madam are a fool/slave. Never ever work for free. If you work for free you create a bigger problem for everyone as employers look for those that volunteer to be slave. Free labour!

Advertisement