Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average take home pay of 25-49 year olds in Ireland is €790!!!???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Skatedude wrote: »
    I'm 42 and a maintenance tech with a big mutli national. No one i know in the factory are on anything close to that. the vast majority of the techs would be on app 29 to 30k a year before tax.

Where do they come up with these figures?

Household income.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm 42 and a maintenance tech with a big mutli national. No one i know in the factory are on anything close to that. the vast majority of the techs would be on app 29 to 30k a year before tax.

I work for a big multinational. It's a 4 story building. First floor is a call centre. Average take home would be about 28-30k.

The fourth floor is all analysts. Most would be on 60k+. The starting wage there is about 50k.

Most of the building would be under 50 years old,

The figures in the indo would easily reflect where I work.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

It's definitely true that some people can't live on any amount of money. 10 years ago I was taking home 3500 euros every two weeks. I was single and my apartment (all inclusive) cost 1k a month. So 6k a month was my disposable income in a relatively cheap European city. I saved a lot but blew a lot too. Now my take home is half that....but apt is still the same price, and I have bills too. It's hard to scale back on the crap you got used to when you had money to burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I worked as IT maintenance person for a few months 2 years ago in a telecom company in Dublin, the HR person left down her laptop to get looked at and left the contractors salary information spreadsheet open;)

So had a quick look and saw that all the 10 radio engineers were on rolling contracts of 105k pa (these were the nerdy looking guys who would look at the floor when you'd say hello) I was on a 35k and fixing their laptops :mad:

I'm in a new job and doing better but not going to get those wages any time soon, anyway what I'm trying to say is there is a lot of people out there getting paid very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Average wage is useless, median wage should be the measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I worked as IT maintenance person for a few months 2 years ago in a telecom company in Dublin, the HR person left down her laptop to get looked at and left the contractors salary information spreadsheet open;)

So had a quick look and saw that all the 10 radio engineers were on rolling contracts of 105k pa (these were the nerdy looking guys who would look at the floor when you'd say hello) I was on a 35k and fixing their laptops :mad:

I'm in a new job and doing better but not going to get those wages any time soon, anyway what I'm trying to say is there is a lot of people out there getting paid very well.

RF electronics is a huge clusterfook of black magic. There aren't that many people capable of doing such a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

fizzypish wrote: »
    RF electronics is a huge clusterfook of black magic. There aren't that many people capable of doing such a job.

I was an infrastructure engineer at Motorola for seven years back in the day, and as far as I was and am concerned, RF is Ninjitsu. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The median is the key thing alright. And I wouldnt be listening to anyone other than the CSO on income stats. Only they have the true picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

A lot of people just don't really grasp what average wage means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

what does it mean?

i work for a very big company, and i know many of the pay scales, and theres a huge difference, ranging from 27k to 150+..even many of my friends, with degrees etc, aint pulling home 800 euro take home pay..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

chrysagon wrote: »
    what does it mean?

i work for a very big company, and i know many of the pay scales, and theres a huge difference, ranging from 27k to 150+..even many of my friends, with degrees etc, aint pulling home 800 euro take home pay..

A degree will get you in the door as a cabbage-looking grad earning entry-level salary. A degree in computer science will get you in the door as a cabbage-looking rookie Java programmer (most likely) earning a somewhat better entry-level salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yeah, at those frequencies all kinds of normally irrelevant aspects of the physical layout of circuits start to take on huge significance. Same goes for very high voltage or current applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Dáil bar? Hillwalking on the Silver Spear and picking magic mushrooms?

Left nipple, funny handshake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Left nipple, funny handshake?

They refuse to turn left. RF engineers must obey the right hand rule!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This time around (cause it IS starting again - I know personally of one person who got a call from the bank lately asking if they can do anything for him, and we recently had a mail go around from AIB offering 8am mortgage appointments!) I WILL be accepting every cent they offer me - the loans, the credit cards, maybe even a "pre-approved" mortgage

Why? Because NOT doing so last time left me screwed over anyway and paying for those that did and while I have had to deal with the Wild West that is the private rental sector since, such people can rest securely that the chances of them being turfed out for non-payment is virtually nil!
    Interesting that this appears to be the lesson we've learned from the last bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Daith

Interesting that this appears to be the lesson we've learned from the last bubble.

House prices go up means Ireland is A-Ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I haven't read all the thread but you'll find alot of contractors (particularly working in IT) will earn those types of wages. I would fall under this bracket as I am a contracting in IT.

Now, contracting is not great for job security nor is it viable for long term so I know that even perhaps later in this year that I will not have those types of wages (and am saving as much as I can). You also do not get paid for holidays or sick.

If I move to a permanent job, the pay could be 30-40% less for the same type of work but i'll at least get more security, benefits, holidays, sick leave etc. There is the balance between contracting and being a permanent staff. It's great if you have no major commitments such as a mortage and you can save huge amounts in a short time.

Currently you'll find quite alot of big companies are using contractors & I think you'll find that contracting also helps contribute to this higher average wage even though it's not a "permanently" viable income.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭HAMMERCURRENT

Agree!
    They refuse to turn left. RF engineers must obey the right hand rule!

Possibly wasted on most people! but funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

CSO household income data from 2012

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/silc/2012/silc_2012.pdf

Table 4b

Average household earned income = market income =

PLUS social transfers = gross income = 52,265

LESS direct income taxes = disposable income = 40,505

Disposable income, CSO data, 2012

Note: disposable = earned + social benefits - direct taxes

Mean = 40,505 per household

Median = 33,113 per household

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Geuze wrote: »
    CSO household income data from 2012

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/silc/2012/silc_2012.pdf

Table 4b

Average household earned income = market income =

PLUS social transfers = gross income = 52,265

LESS direct income taxes = disposable income = 40,505

I tried pointing this out a number of times, nobody's listening. ;)

2013 data out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

I suppose IT companies such as facebook, google etc. are all massive payers that would be pretty big employers of that age group!

http://www.joe.ie/news/heres-how-much-money-people-who-work-at-facebook-earn/481849

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

tacofries wrote: »
    I suppose IT companies such as facebook, google etc. are all massive payers that would be pretty big employers of that age group!

http://www.joe.ie/news/heres-how-much-money-people-who-work-at-facebook-earn/481849

but probably 98% of people do not work for facebook or google.

Outside Dublin 25 to 30 thousand is a very good take home wage for many skilled qualified people in the private sector, and many have no pension or security either. My sister works for an American multinational, has a degree and takes home less than 30,000 per year, even with years of experience.

malibu4u wrote: »
    My sister works for an American multinational, has a degree and takes home less than 30,000 per year, even with years of experience.

Note that wages are typically quoted gross.

5000 pm gross could, in some cases, turn into 3,000 take-home.

2013 SILC published today

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/silc/surveyonincomeandlivingconditions2013/#.VL-pKkesWSo

Household income

Median gross = 38,721 - that includes welfare payments but before tax

Median disposable, after income tax = 33,810

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Sounds about right. Ireland isn't suffering. People just like a good whinge.

Considering 10 years ago a call center job wages was 24k + and now its less then 20k , Ireland is suffering.
    Another way to notice is go into McDonalds. Nearly all the staff are Irish:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Geuze wrote: »
    2013 SILC published today

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/silc/surveyonincomeandlivingconditions2013/#.VL-pKkesWSo

Household income

Median gross = 38,721 - that includes welfare payments but before tax

Median disposable, after income tax = 33,810

Maybe a silly question but, household income is both people's income taken together if we're talking bout a couple living together? Like, income per residence or what's the craic? What about 5 friends sharing a gaff? Is that one household income? Or is it only families? Or only married couples? Are non married couples living together counted as one household? Two married people living apart? Two friends living together? Or is each individual a household for some reason? What's going on? Are those my feet?

strobe wrote: »
    Maybe a silly question but, household income is both people's income taken together if we're talking bout a couple living together? Like, income per residence or what's the craic? What about 5 friends sharing a gaff? Is that one household income? Or is it only families? Or only married couples? Are non married couples living together counted as one household? Two married people living apart? Two friends living together? Or is each individual a household for some reason? What's going on? Are those my feet?

Yes, all incomes of all members of household.

Equivalised data per person is also published.

Median disposable equivalised income = 17,374 per person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Averages are incredibly inaccurate and misleading. It's like how so many people falsely claim that most adults in the dark Ages died in their 30s - utter bull. Infant mortality drags the average way down but in reality most adults lived into their 60s.

Also a typical 40 year old will seriously out-earn the typical 28 year old anyways so it's too broad a category to begin with.

Advertisement