Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average take home pay of 25-49 year olds in Ireland is €790!!!???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

leonidas83 wrote: »
    There's plenty of people in there doing f**K all though on nice salaries, eating up a large part of the budget, contributing to the high taxes in this country which stunt investment.

Without the private sector, there is no public sector

A government party that cuts the public sector, cuts their wages substantially, reduces income tax & taxes on SME's has my vote. Unfortunately, I'm unlikely to see a party in Ireland with the backbone needed to implement something like this in the near future.

You realise that public sector employees pay tax also, or would that not fit with your argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Get Real

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read this to mean that people who are working should earn less because others are out of work. This is a ridiculous outlook imo.

Well yeah. If there is a guy who can do a job, and only he can do it then say he gets paid 50,000 a year.

If there are 10 unemployed people who can also do this job, and some are willing to do it for 40k a year, thats the market rate. He can take a cut, or be replaced.

If Ireland had full employment, companies would need to attract workers/ retain existing and give higher pay (and/or benefits)

But with a huge pool of unemployed people to choose from/people feeling lucky to have a job, theres no need to pay them as highly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Nice wide range there of people just out of college right up to people at the peak of their earning potential. Data is obviously skewed. However, if I had 800 quid a week to spend on whatever I liked I'd be ****ing delirious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Get Real wrote: »
    But with a huge pool of unemployed people to choose from/people feeling lucky to have a job, theres no need to pay them as highly.
    Except our unemployed are largely unskilled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭world_weary

Averages are incredibly inaccurate and misleading. It's like how so many people falsely claim that most adults in the dark Ages died in their 30s - utter bull. Infant mortality drags the average way down but in reality most adults lived into their 60s.

Also a typical 40 year old will seriously out-earn the typical 28 year old anyways so it's too broad a category to begin with.

especially this past six years as those with around ten years service under their belt in the public sector , effectively pulled up the ladder behind them and left new entrants in the teaching and nursing sector etc to make do with drastically reduced conditions

nurses and teachers over forty in ireland are on about fifty grand per year even today where as those under twenty are on around half that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, all incomes of all members of household.

Equivalised data per person is also published.

Median disposable equivalised income = 17,374 per person

Oh right. Thanks man.

Anyone want to do the maths for the Median when excluding people for whom social welfare is their sole source of income? Only counting people in employment. Apparently there were 215,000 people unemployed and 530,000 pensioners in ireland in 2013. So if those 745,000 were removed from the figure crunching what would it work out at? Would be higher but how much so? I can't maths good myself.

Edit: Actually they had a table thing that helped me out. Median just for people in employment is 22,304.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Where the **** are they getting that figure from...
    I'm 33..an IT Help desk Admin... I take home 400 a week.
    I spend 120 a week on diesel and tolls... The gubberment gets plenty of tax off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I spend 120 a week on diesel and tolls... The gubberment gets plenty of tax off me.

What's that, 24k? You need to shop around, you should be earning more than that.

What's that, 24k? You need to shop around, you should be earning more than that.

Level 2 tech/Admin....25k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    There was a thread on here at one stage asking if €700 was a good take home wage and it was amazing the amount of people who wouldn't be able to live on that.

I know, I live in Dublin on half that. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

Skatedude wrote: »
    I'm 42 and a maintenance tech with a big mutli national. No one i know in the factory are on anything close to that. the vast majority of the techs would be on app 29 to 30k a year before tax.

Where do they come up with these figures?

As someone else said its people like teachers, librarians,nurses and third level lecturers who push up the average figure.

Level 2 tech/Admin....25k

Just realised you're not in Dublin. That would be the absolute minimum you'd expect for Helpdesk in Dublin, but further out it's more middling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Caliden wrote: »
    Average wage is useless, median wage should be the measure.
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    The median is the key thing alright. And I wouldnt be listening to anyone other than the CSO on income stats. Only they have the true picture.
    anncoates wrote: »
    A lot of people just don't really grasp what average wage means.

I wish people would elaborate a bit here rather than just stating this! Some of us are thicks when it comes to statistics. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Greyian

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I wish people would elaborate a bit here rather than just stating this! Some of us are thicks when it comes to statistics. :pac:

Average is simply total amount/number of people.
    e.g. Tom earns €60, Henry earns €65, Paul earns €70, John earns €80, Bob earns €1000.
    The average would be €1275/5 => €255.

The median is the "middle" number, if you order them from smallest to largest. So 60, 65, 70, 80, 1000.
    The median is €70, which we can see is more reflective of a "normal" person in society.

Edit: The median is more relevant when you have a small subset of values that would shift the average otherwise.
    Imagine you had 1000 people earning €10,000 each, and 1 person earning €10,000,000.
    The total would be €20,000,000, so the average would be €20mil/1001 =>€19,980, which doesn't really tell us anything about this fictional group.
    The median would be €10,000, which is clearly more relevant for a normal person in this scenario.

Greyian wrote: »
    Average is simply total amount/number of people.
    e.g. Tom earns €60, Henry earns €65, Paul earns €70, John earns €80, Bob earns €1000.
    The average would be €1275/5 => €255.

The median is the "middle" number, if you order them from smallest to largest. So 60, 65, 70, 80, 1000.
    The median is €70, which we can see is more reflective of a "normal" person in society.

Edit: The median is more relevant when you have a small subset of values that would shift the average otherwise.
    Imagine you had 1000 people earning €10,000 each, and 1 person earning €10,000,000.
    The total would be €20,000,000, so the average would be €20mil/1001 =>€19,980, which doesn't really tell us anything about this fictional group.
    The median would be €10,000, which is clearly more relevant for a normal person in this scenario.
    well explained

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭ted1

120 a week on diesel and tolls? And only 400 a week.

You need to look in the mirror and ask yourself what your doing with your life. There's no need to be spending that amount. That's 520 a month, it'll get you a place closer to where you need to be

ted1 wrote: »
    120 a week on diesel and tolls? And only 400 a week.

You need to look in the mirror and ask yourself what your doing with your life. There's no need to be spending that amount. That's 520 a month, it'll get you a place closer to where you need to be

Maybe they bought a place "only an hour from Dublin" because they cannot afford a place in Dublin, or maybe they are living with parents/family and commuting. I have a colleague who spends over 100 a week on fuel/tolls commuting to Dublin, thats €20 a day. Everyones circumstances are different. I know someone else who commutes 200 miles a day round trip as his wife has a job in a different part of the country. Thats life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭ted1

malibu4u wrote: »
    Maybe they bought a place "only an hour from Dublin" because they cannot afford a place in Dublin, or maybe they are living with parents/family and commuting. I have a colleague who spends over 100 a week on fuel/tolls commuting to Dublin, thats €20 a day. Everyones circumstances are different. I know someone else who commutes 200 miles a day round trip as his wife has a job in a different part of the country. Thats life.
    A 200 mile daily cummute is not a life.

ted1 wrote: »
    A 200 mile daily cummute is not a life.

agreed, I would not do it, I live not too far from work in Dublin, but I know others who commute and put up with it. Life is not ideal or perfect for many people. Sometimes hard to get the employment you want where you want. And some people have property in the arse hole of nowhere they cannot get rid of,for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

I know a good few lads working at operator level in Biopharma companies. Most of them would be on €900 gross. That would include shift premium.

• Advertisement

A cousin in a factory on non-shift work is taking home about €500 per week. Given that average gross industrial wages ( before tax) is only thirty something thousand a year, its hard to believe "Average take home pay of 25-49 year olds in Ireland is €790". As someone else said the median would be far more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

malibu4u wrote: »
    A cousin in a factory on non-shift work is taking home about €500 per week. Given that average gross industrial wages ( before tax) is only thirty something thousand a year, its hard to believe "Average take home pay of 25-49 year olds in Ireland is €790". As someone else said the median would be far more interesting.
    So his gross is probably 35k then. Add in shift,if he were to do shift, at 33% and that brings the figure up to 46,500.

€790 would be a easily achievable/believable in a manufacturing setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Surely they mean €790 before tax?? To take home 790, you'd want to be on close to 1,400 gross per week, such is the crippling level of tax anyone over 32k is paying. Which would equate to nearly 70k gross per annum which not that many "average" workers are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I am so confused by this thread. Is the figure for households or individuals? If it's for households sure that's grand. Myself and my boyfriend, who are in our mid twenties, would be on quite a bit higher between us.. But individuals...ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I am so confused by this thread. Is the figure for households or individuals? If it's for households sure that's grand. Myself and my boyfriend, who are in our mid twenties, would be on quite a bit higher between us.. But individuals...ha!

If you are in your mid twenties, you would be expected to be on the low end of the scale. Someone of 49 is likely to be making a lot more, having gained experience and worked their way up the salary chain. So this average doesn't really tell us much really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Considering 10 years ago a call center job wages was 24k + and now its less then 20k , Ireland is suffering.
    Another way to notice is go into McDonalds. Nearly all the staff are Irish:pac:
    Boom wages shouldn't be considered indicative of a healthy economy.

Just realised you're not in Dublin. That would be the absolute minimum you'd expect for Helpdesk in Dublin, but further out it's more middling.

Live in athlone... Commute to galway daily.

Live in athlone... Commute to galway daily.

Wow, that's some commute. How long is the round trip?

Probably wouldn't take much longer to commute to Dublin and you could probably add 4-5k to your salary. Something to consider anyway. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Lia_lia wrote: »

Wage earnings are published here:

http://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/earnings/

Incomes (not the same as earnings) are here:

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/socialconditions/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Average wage earnings 2013

Year Average Annual Earnings Average Annual Other Labour Costs Average Annual Total Labour Costs

2012 36,079 5,582 41,661
    2013 35,830 5,603 41,433

Annual change % -0.7 +0.4 -0.5

Advertisement