Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average take home pay of 25-49 year olds in Ireland is €790!!!???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

ScumLord wrote: »
    I can see your point but these were people that had their own businesses to run so it's not like they needed to start up any other business that wouldn't even be as profitable as the building work they're doing. everyone at the time was encouraged to invest in houses, there wasn't really any great pushes to start a business that wasn't somehow related to construction.

What makes you think there will be another boom?

OK,

I think there will be another boom in Dublin and the coummuter belt.

From what I can see, the government and some of the other experts are trying to revive the building and development game which crashed so spectacularly. Is this the correct strategy to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

ScumLord wrote: »
    What makes you think there will be another boom?
    It is pretty standard stuff, boom bust cycles are the nature of things.

When a boom occurs things are over priced and during the bust things are under priced. House prices in Dublin are showing what happens when the market begins to come back. Undervalued property has gone is some areas but still about but harder to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    There was a thread on here at one stage asking if €700 was a good take home wage and it was amazing the amount of people who wouldn't be able to live on that.

As someone who survives on less than 400 a week take home in Dublin, this dismays me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Its a massive age range to use for a survey like that and therefore its largely meaningless. But sure why let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Wooo.. another average wage thread... and i'm still below average..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I must say though, I do absolutely adore the first line of the article.
    Research has found that older people own more property and have higher savings than younger people.

First rate research there guys, there's so much we wouldn't know if it wasn't for researchers!

Meanwhile, here's an advanced snippet of tomorrows lead article....
    Scientists reveal that inhaling while drinking water is bad for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Its pretty good money if you re single, renting a room etc. But if you re the only earner in your family, have a mortgage taking about 50% of your take home up. Sure you could get the wife to work and donate her earnings to childcare but the disposable income figure would look better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Tarzana wrote: »
    You're joking, right? An insult to anyone struggling to find work.

They're not part of this survey Righteous-Anger Boy.

Keep up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

What sickens me is the fact that a lot of lads in the boom who were on 1500 euro + a week would have got out of bed for 600-700 a week. Then they lost their jobs and started slating teachers/nurses and civil servants who opted for a lower wage but job security rather than wads of cash.

These people had their cake and eat it. They really can't have it both ways.

Lads I knew would touch a public sector job with a barge pole back in 02/03 and probably still wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Tarzana wrote: »
    You're joking, right? An insult to anyone struggling to find work.

How?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ray Palmer wrote: »

When a boom occurs things are over priced and during the bust things are under priced. House prices in Dublin are showing what happens when the market begins to come back. Undervalued property has gone is some areas but still about but harder to find.

Not really the best way to run a country though. Look at France and Germany, no boom and bust there. Sure there might be light increases and decreases but overall its fairly stable and predictable. There won't be another celtic tiger again in Ireland anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Im 42. Working since I was 21 and I am still not near that take home wage. That is after 3 promotions. I would love to know who these people are :):) I want a job there.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greyian

To give people an idea of why this doesn't mean people have much more money than the average industrial wage

€35k pay income tax of 7330.80= net salary 27669.20 or 20.95% tax

€65k pay income tax of 22930.80=net salary 42069.20 or 35.28% tax

so somebody getting paid 85% more before tax but actually only get 34.23% higher net income

They're actually getting 52% higher net income (27669.20+14400.00 = 42069.20, and 14400.00 is 52% of 27669.20).
    While it's still quite a difference in tax load (considering they were getting 85% more pre-tax), it's not quite as bad as you made out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

ongarboy wrote: »
    I know...I thought disposable meant after you had paid absolute essentials such as mortgage/rent/heat/electricity etc.

Heating is part of my disposable income considering I have hot babes over for drinks :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Yay, confirmed I am slightly below average for my age.

I cant wait to let all the ladies know

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

snubbleste wrote: »
    On average, Irish people have less than two legs

Errr no they dont?
    Unless you believe that more than 51% of the population has less than 2?

I havent done a full survey, but I'm pretty sure there are no 3 legged Irish people balancing things out.
    (despite them having excellent balancing abilities if the were to exist)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I would say the average wage is €340 to €450 euro a week. Alot of people working on min wage in this country (330 per week) and lets be honest, how many jobs are willing to pay you 20 euro an hour? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Umadbrah? wrote: »
    Tbh I don't know how someone could survive let alone "get by" on only €790 a week

I Know! Roysh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I am 33, have a degree in Finance and have completed CIMA accounting exams. My take home pay (monthly) is just under €4000. Many of my classmates are on higher. My sister works for Bank of Ireland and is on €50000 a year and she only has a leaving cert. So yes, it is possible that many people are on those amounts, but no way is it the average. There are many, many people in my company that don't earn anywhere near that amount. It is however, possible that it is about right for the average take home pay for people with university degrees and higher. There is also a lot of confusion here as to what disposable income is, to me that was always what you have left for discretionary spending, i.e. beer.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Errr no they dont?

I havent done a full survey, but I'm pretty sure there are no 3 legged Irish people balancing things out.

If we have 3,999,999 people with 2 legs, and 1 person with 1 leg (because of some freak accident or whatever), that'd mean there's 7,999,999 legs (3,999,999*2 + 1) between 4 million people.

That would mean that there are 1.99999975 legs per person in Ireland, or the average number of legs is 1.999999975. I think that was his entire point, the average (edit: in this case) isn't indicative of the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

GreeBo wrote: »
    Errr no they dont?

By average I think meant the mean, rather than the modal or median number of legs. Indeed, one of the problems with the article is the use of such a vague word.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

OK,

I think there will be another boom in Dublin and the coummuter belt.

From what I can see, the government and some of the other experts are trying to revive the building and development game which crashed so spectacularly. Is this the correct strategy to take?
    Of course not, it's stupid and doomed to failure, although the guys promoting it will make their money and scarper like the last lot did.
    They're not the nature of things, I don't think nordic countries went through these boom bust cycles. The only reason we have boom bust cycles is because people can profit out of it on both the boom and the bust. so this cycle suits them.

It's certainly not a natural cycle, at this stage it's an engineered money making cycle.
    When a boom occurs things are over priced and during the bust things are under priced.
    If things in general were under priced entire markets would fall apart as companies make products for less than they get paid.
    House prices in Dublin are showing what happens when the market begins to come back. Undervalued property has gone is some areas but still about but harder to find.
    I blame planning for that to be honest, most cities take housing developments a bit more serious than we do here.
    There's no reason why the government couldn't put together some sustainable development plan with transport in mind instead of letting developers throw up buildings without a second thought to what it will be like cramming a few thousand extra people into an already failing infrastructure. Then ending up building to many and prices all over the place. It's simple miss management.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Greyian wrote: »
    If we have 3,999,999 people with 2 legs, and 1 person with 1 leg (because of some freak accident or whatever), that'd mean there's 7,999,999 legs (3,999,999*2 + 1) between 4 million people.

That would mean that there are 1.99999975 legs per person in Ireland, or the average number of legs is 1.999999975. I think that was his entire point, the average (edit: in this case) isn't indicative of the norm.

Correct-and-right. And that, boys and girls, is statistics, a.k.a. the Principia Mathematica Taurus Mammarium.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

OP (or anyone)
    Do a poll and ask what people here in AH earn disposable each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Greyian wrote: »
    I think that was his entire point, the average (edit: in this case) isn't indicative of the norm.

Both the median and modal number of legs is 2, which would be the norm. Both of those are averages, and in this case, much better ones.

The word 'average' doesn't explicitly refer to the mean, which is why it shouldn't be used in these kinds of articles. I hate when people, especially journalists, fail to be concise.

Both the median and modal number of legs is 2, which would be the norm. Both of those are averages, and in this case, much better ones.

The word 'average' doesn't explicitly refer to the mean, which is why it shouldn't be used in these kinds of articles. I hate when people, especially journalists, fail to be concise.

I'm aware that the median and modal number of legs is 2, and they are both averages, but the most commonly usage of the word average is in relation to the mean.

And, as you've said, that really is the problem with these articles. They almost certainly mean the mean, but use average, which is
    1) Open to interpretation by people who know what mean, mode and median are.
    2) Not properly understood by so many people in this country, who believe that the average can't be that high because they're not earning it (i.e., they don't understand that there's always people above and below any average).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'm not sure why they've set the comparison against age? What's that got to do with anything.

I'm in that age bracket, working in the public sector taking home slightly more than that, until 1 September when I take up a position with a private sector firm earning a decent bit more with better conditions.

My main reason for leaving are nothing to do with people the same age as me earning more, it's to do with people with comparable, even lesser, qualifications & experience earning considerably more than what I'm paid in the public sector.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

ongarboy wrote: »
    Surely this can't be correct per the Indo article today. The average take home disposable income after tax/prsi is paid is €790 per week for Irish workers aged between 25 and 49. That would mean their gross wage (for a single person) would have to be €63,000 a year. Are average salaries really that high for that age bracket??

It's true people aged between 25/49 in employment do earn that wage,I know....Ive asked all 10 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Green Mile wrote: »
    OP (or anyone)
    Do a poll and ask what people here in AH earn disposable each week.

not sure how reliable the information on ah would be.....
    the nice pretty researcher whose managed to get you to stop and answer a few questions on the street, however sure who d exaggerate their earnings in that case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

why'd they use that age range? its the indo.. maximum outrage

Advertisement