Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average take home pay of 25-49 year olds in Ireland is €790!!!???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Sounds about right. Ireland isn't suffering. People just like a good whinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Perhaps a few mega-rich 25-49 year olds are causing the average to be so high?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

i would like to see the private sector average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

There was a thread on here at one stage asking if €700 was a good take home wage and it was amazing the amount of people who wouldn't be able to live on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

I think you misread it and it meant if you add the wages of 25 fourtynine year olds together you get that wage, they're actually averaging €31.60 each per week.

(I'm in that bracket and I have no problem believing this to be the average)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

ongarboy wrote: »
    Surely this can't be correct per the Indo article today. The average take home disposable income after tax/prsi is paid is €790 per week for Irish workers aged between 25 and 49. That would mean their gross wage (for a single person) would have to be €63,000 a year. Are average salaries really that high for that age bracket?? The same survey says 16-24 year olds take home €418. Who says Ireland is suffering??!!

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/majority-of-over-50s-have-house-paid-off-and-cash-in-the-bank-30348393.html

418 in my hole hah! Wouldn't see that sort of shít in years and I'm 19!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It's just when you see jobs advertised (eg retail managers managing 20+ people etc) with a salary barely scraping 30k if that, you wonder how well people are being paid in the real world. Even well paying IFSC/finance companies, you'd have to be working a lot of years and various promotions to start getting that sort of take home pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Sounds about right. Dublin isn't suffering. People just like a good whinge.

FYP there. No way is that an average take home pay anywhere else and tbh I doubt its even that good in the capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The average really isn't a good measure when you want to know the typical anything. Very easily skewed by numbers in the higher end of the scale.

They hardly state the median wage?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

They mean per annum, after all the new taxes and charges are taken out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    There was a thread on here at one stage asking if €700 was a good take home wage and it was amazing the amount of people who wouldn't be able to live on that.

It's amazing what you can need to live on if you get used to it coming in.

I was taking home three times as much ten years ago as I am now, probably better off now though when all is said and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

€790 per week disposable....
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I'm 26 and nobody I know is on that wage. It would be interesting to see what people age 20-30 earn. 25-49 is quite a big span of people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

€790 per week disposable....
    lol

I know...I thought disposable meant after you had paid absolute essentials such as mortgage/rent/heat/electricity etc.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Sounds about right. Ireland isn't suffering. People just like a good whinge.

Jesus, when were you frozen? I'm assuming you were just defrosted this morning:D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

This can't be right? This is more than double my pathetic private sector salary and I am 32.. on a side note,, why do we insist on paying universal benefits to high earners.. child allowance,, now free health care for under 6 year olds?

Anyone moaning on 63k should get the boat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It's just when you see jobs advertised (eg retail managers managing 20+ people etc) with a salary barely scraping 30k if that, you wonder how well people are being paid in the real world.

Whats so special about a retail manager that requires a higher salary?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Average weekly earnings in the public sector in 2013 were €916 compared to €607 in the private sector.

Sounds about right. Doesn't mean it is right though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

superman28 wrote: »
    This can't be right? This is more than double my pathetic private sector salary and I am 32..

I think we have conclusive proof here.

Scrap the research findings - they could have saved loads of time by just asking you.

I was taking home three times as much ten years ago as I am now, probably better off now though when all is said and done.

Ok, this is gonna take a bit of explaining. You are better off now, even though your wages are down 66%. I'm down about 25% and it's killing me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Was wondering how long it would take before it'd be about public vs private.

I'm 30, public sector, and take home 350 a week. I'd fcuking cream myself if I was to get even 500 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Average weekly earnings in the public sector in 2013 were €916 compared to €607 in the private sector.

Private sector has a much larger proportion of part time workers. Also public sector has virtually no people on the minimum wage whereas a lot of the private sector would be on or close to minimum wage.

You can't compare two groups like that when there are massive differences between the top and bottom in each. What proportion of the top 1000 earners were in the public sector I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I'm 26 and my take home pay is only €100 per week less than that, I know lots of others on a good bit more so I think those numbers are fairly believable.

I don't think that's a high wage, if my partner didn't also work we would manage but it would be far from comfortable, if we had kids it would be a serious struggle, especially living in Dublin.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

leonidas83 wrote: »

You're not comparing like with like though. Nobody's flipping burgers in the public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The age range is very large at 25-49. No where near it at 25 but at 40 well above it so averaging it out would be right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Surely this can't be correct per the Indo article today. The average take home disposable income after tax/prsi is paid is €790 per week for Irish workers aged between 25 and 49. That would mean their gross wage (for a single person) would have to be €63,000 a year. Are average salaries really that high for that age bracket?? The same survey says 16-24 year olds take home €418. Who says Ireland is suffering??!!

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/majority-of-over-50s-have-house-paid-off-and-cash-in-the-bank-30348393.html

The reason it seems bizarre is because they took a bizarre age groupings and presented the information oddly.

I'll admit that I haven't read the article, but I'd be guessing they're also looking at 25-49 year olds, and 16-24 year olds, who are working full time.

So if you take the younger group, you have to account for the fact that most people under 21 are not working full-time - they're generally in full-time education or training. That leaves 21-24 as approximately the real age group, which means that graduates and workers, with say 3 years unskilled experience, are on €400 or so a week for full-time. That's a pittance. And when you account for the fact that at that level of pay very little tax is paid so that's near enough what they're grossing. That's BARELY enough to live off in a house share in Dublin. Barely enough. Be clear that that is NOT what 16 year olds are taking home from their 10 hours work in the local shop at the end of the week.

Then take the older group. 25-49? Seriously? That literally spans from people in entry level graduate positions to people who are highly senior in their career. There is not a damned thing that can be realistically taken from that figure other than "some people are working". You could infer, if you wanted to, that anyone aged 25-early 30's who's working here is in a decent enough position to make it more worthwhile to stay rather than to emigrate, so there's a bit of a skew in there at the lower end because so so many people in their 20s are just gone. Of my graduating class (40 or so) I think there are maybe 5 of us still in the country - but they're all on holidays, right? cos they went on working holiday visas to oz :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

You're not comparing like with like though. Nobody's flipping burgers in the public sector.

Nobody's sweeping the streets in the private sector either.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes. The point though was you're not comparing like with like. It was admittedly, a rather glib way of pointing that out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

There's plenty of people in there doing f**K all though on nice salaries, eating up a large part of the budget, contributing to the high taxes in this country which stunt investment.

Without the private sector, there is no public sector

A government party that cuts the public sector, cuts their wages substantially, reduces income tax & taxes on SME's has my vote. Unfortunately, I'm unlikely to see a party in Ireland with the backbone needed to implement something like this in the near future.

• Advertisement

I don't know, I reckon you could squeeze a few more clichés about public sector workers in there if you tried harder.

Advertisement