Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday Game Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Quite like Marty and Canning.
    Tom Carr has been shocking. Firmly rooted to cliche and missing obvious stuff. "James ODonoghue seems to have a shoulder or elbow hopefully not too serious and can continue". Who would not know about his shoulder problem?
    Then he wouldn't stop saying "Intensity".

Carr was just awful yesterday and the buck in the game before (can never remember his name) was just as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Jayop wrote: »
    Carr was just awful yesterday and the buck in the game before (can never remember his name) was just as bad.

Carney?
    Martin Carney?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

Its not Kerrys fault Dublin couldnt get there in those thirty years.

And while Dublin were struggling to get to finals, in fact struggling most years to even win leinster they did meet kerry along the way.

2004, after losing in leinster to westmeath, kerry hand out a seven point defeat.
    2007 first time since 1985 both are provincial winners when they meet. Two point win for Kerry
    2009. The startled earwigs game. 17 point win for Kerry.
    2011 a one point win for Dublin after trailing for 65 minutes.
    2013 semi final. Dublin get two late goals to add gloss to a seven point win. Still the greatest exhibition of pure football i ever watched live. Stunning game.

2015? Could meet in the final, i hope so.

So, i wouldnt be so quick to go running your mouth. Dublin have two all irelands from this current team. ( from 02 when gooch started) Kerry have five.

Dublin are hyped because they are Dublin. Kerry are hyped because they deserve it.

You forgot 2001

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Please forgive my bad manners earlier today Fireball I was rude to have been short with you like that.

Personally I don't think he talks any rubbish he speaks his mind you either like it or you don't. People I believe are ridiculing him because it's fashionable. Cahill shows little class trying to make him look foolish.
    You make a good point about RTE employing him because of his "character" value. That could be it.

See, I don't mind people speaking their mind, that's fair enough.

It's not that I don't agree with what he's saying, it's the fact I don't really know what he's trying to say at all. Did you actually understand what he was saying about Fianna Faíl and the church, etc? It was a pretty poor analogy, it seemed like he was trying to be funny, but falling flat.

I don't particularly like Cahill as a presenter, his questions are generally inane, but I would have asked him what he was on about too.

The majority of people watching the Sunday Game will be fairly clued-in GAA wise, they're going to know the basics; pundits should be adding insight beyond what the average punter will say, use the technology available to them, use the time they're given to watch the videos and bring something to the table. I wouldn't be the biggest fan of Donal Óg, for example, I feel he has a certain agenda for/against certain people and can't see past that but he does do his homework, you can't fault him in that regard.

I don't think any of the football analysts last night are anything more than average, but I found Curran painfully bad. Dolan is alright but I do find it to be a problem across all sports- that pundits don't bring anything beyond what I would say to someone down the pub. The exceptions are seen as the best pundits by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Dara Moloney is peerless as a commentator bur agree Marty is quite unfairly derided at times.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Dara Moloney is peerless as a commentator bur agree Marty is quite unfairly derided at times.

I like Moloney too. It's the cocomentators that are the big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I don't think any of the football analysts last night are anything more than average, but I found Curran painfully bad. Dolan is alright but I do find it to be a problem across all sports- that pundits don't bring anything beyond what I would say to someone down the pub. The exceptions are seen as the best pundits by a mile.

Preach it - When you consider the access they have to the match footage, the technology, the players/setups and the fact that pretty much every one of them has been an intercounty player and/or manager and are getting generously paid for it, the the level of insight they provide is pretty minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Dara Moloney is by a country mile the best GAA commentator.The most insightful analysts on TSG are Ciaran Whelan and Tomas O Se although they are the ha'penny when compared to Jim McGuinness on SKY.

James Horan is of a similar vein to McGuinness on SKY and Newstalk.No bland pub talk analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

seligehgit wrote: »
    Dara Moloney is by a country mile the best GAA commentator.The most insightful analysts on TSG are Ciaran Whelan and Tomas O Se although they are the ha'penny when compared to Jim McGuinness on SKY.

James Horan is of a similar vein to McGuinness on SKY and Newstalk.No bland pub talk analysis.

i find James Horan very very boring to be honest, ive yet to see him say anything interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

The Sky commentators Mike Finnerty and i cant recall the guy from Setanta who also commentates on the 2nd Sky game ,both are poor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

seanhynes wrote: »
    The Sky commentators Mike Finnerty and i cant recall the guy from Setanta who also commentates on the 2nd Sky game ,both are poor

It's one of the lads from Today FM Newstalk. Name escapes for the minute.

On Horan I have to say I enjoy him. Not a patch on Jim McG, but no-one really is.

EDIT: Dave McIntyre is the other commentator.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Magill46

seligehgit wrote: »

I must admit I enjoy the Sky coverage. I don't care for the bloke who interviews Peter Canavan. I don't think it would be too hard to catch all the balls he ever kicked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mullyboyee

I agree the RTE panel are miles behind SKY in terms of analysis and giving a deeper insight into teams, but the commentators on SKY are atrocious.

whenever iv watched The Championship on the BBC they have done a good job and analysts like mcconville and jarlath burns have been more worthwhile listening to at ht than the Sunday game lads

Horan has a boring voice but he knows his stuff.

Magill46 wrote: »
    I must admit I enjoy the Sky coverage. I don't care for the bloke who interviews Peter Canavan. I don't think it would be too hard to catch all the balls he ever kicked!

Brian Carney he is pretty clueless,more knowledgeable on oval ball matters.Played both codes of rugby.

Agreed both commentators on SKY are atrocious.

Jayop wrote: »
    Horan has a boring voice but he knows his stuff.

He really does know his stuff but that monotone delivery I'm sure puts a lot of people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Magill46

whenever iv watched The Championship on the BBC they have done a good job and analysts like mcconville and jarlath burns have been more worthwhile listening to at ht than the Sunday game lads

There was a classic scene at the Ulster Final. The camera swung to the Monaghan bench and Dick Clerkin, the longest serving player currently playing this season and Drew Wylie, 2 time All Star nominee, were shown. Drew had his hand in front of him obstructing his number. Marty Morrissey said "There's Dick Clerkin"BBC - "There's Drew Wylie and Dick Clerkin". BBC is just better.

Mike Finnerty is never out of work, commentates late enough into the year for Midwest Radio on club championship games,does all Mayo league games on Midwest and near all games on Setanta,some hurling then Sky for the summer and on Mayo championship games on Midwest

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mike Finnerty is never out of work, commentates late enough into the year for Midwest Radio on club championship games,does all Mayo league games on Midwest and near all games on Setanta,some hurling then Sky for the summer and on Mayo championship games on Midwest

And edits the Mayo News Sports section while he is at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭doc_17

I agree with the second part of your comment 100%. Wasn't he brought in midway through last year? As far as I can recall it was only Rachel Wyse to start with? I think she is very poor and needs all the help she can get.

As regards TSG live I always listen to the radio now and have the tv turned down if Carney or Carr are on. Parkinson/Horan are excellent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

doc_17 wrote: »
    I always listen to the radio now and have the tv turned down

That doesn't work, the radio and tv are never in sync.

the old portables used be handy theyd always be in sync with the radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

doc_17 wrote: »
    As far as I can recall it was only Rachel Wyse to start with? I think she is very poor and needs all the help she can get.

Rachel is brilliant and should be on our screens a lot more :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty fast

There was a classic scene at the Ulster Final. The camera swung to the Monaghan bench and Dick Clerkin, the longest serving player currently playing this season and Drew Wylie, 2 time All Star nominee, were shown. Drew had his hand in front of him obstructing his number. Marty Morrissey said "There's Dick Clerkin"BBC - "There's Drew Wylie and Dick Clerkin". BBC is just better.

Did you know that the two Wylie brothers are protestant? A credit to themselves and Monoghan gaa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Did you know that the two Wylie brothers are protestant? A credit to themselves and Monoghan gaa.

How is their religous belief anyway relevant to the GAA??

That doesn't work, the radio and tv are never in sync.

Download the radio apps and pause/amend the tv and it'll work every time. If you have a smartphone and sky that is. Fairly simple

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭timmyntc

danganabu wrote: »

I feel sorry for Rachel. She looks as though she's being held captive by the broadcasters and forced to star in coverage of some crappy B-list sports.

Seriously though, she seems incredibly unenthused by it all, kind of undermines all the hard work the rest of the panel put in to their analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty fast

How is their religous belief anyway relevant to the GAA??

Not relevant but is good to see.

• Advertisement

Brilliant? How so? Think her reading of games and questioning is quite limited

Advertisement