Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday Game Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

doc_17 wrote: »
    Brilliant? How so? Think her reading of games and questioning is quite limited

I think he means she is very easy on the eye! Yeah her knowledge of our gaelic games is very limited to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Magill46

Did you know that the two Wylie brothers are protestant? A credit to themselves and Monoghan gaa.

The whole family are a credit to themselves and the GAA. They are involved in everything with our club, Ballybay, and seek praise for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Bill o Herlihy was regarded as a legend for leaving the actual analysis to the experts, so how is Rachel bad when she does similar ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty fast

Magill46 wrote: »
    The whole family are a credit to themselves and the GAA. They are involved in everything with our club, Ballybay, and seek praise for nothing.

Yes it is great to see. There is nothing like sport to break down these imaginary barriers that unfortunately plague this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭doc_17

seligehgit wrote: »
    I think he means she is very easy on the eye! Yeah her knowledge of our gaelic games is very limited to put it mildly.

Just wanted him to confirm it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

To be honest I have never heard a word she says :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭doc_17

Bill o Herlihy was regarded as a legend for leaving the actual analysis to the experts, so how is Rachel bad when she does similar ?

The analysis was always shi*e there though compared to Jim and Peter. People just watched it for the comedy gold it was and the late, great Bill lobbed in the grenades and watched the sparks fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Moloney is safe though, Marty is more colourful.

I thought the cliche about FF, the GAA and the Church was well known, the 3 pillar organisations in tradiitional rural Ireland, maybe better known in politics.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

danganabu wrote: »
    How is their religous belief anyway relevant to the GAA??

Ideally it shouldn't but it would be naive to dismiss it particularly in the 6 counties.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

timmyntc wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Rachel. She looks as though she's being held captive by the broadcasters and forced to star in coverage of some crappy B-list sports.

Seriously though, she seems incredibly unenthused by it all, kind of undermines all the hard work the rest of the panel put in to their analysis.

Not sure if I can stretch it so far as to feel sorry for her,SKY pay her salary and she can't cherrypick her role.I get the impression that her very visible lack of enthusiasm is a manifestation of her dislike for been forced to front coverage of what she perceives to be B list sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

seligehgit wrote: »
    Not sure if I can stretch it so far as to feel sorry for her,SKY pay her salary and she can't cherrypick her role.I get the impression that her very visible lack of enthusiasm is a manifestation of her dislike for been forced to front coverage of what she perceives to be B list sports.

I dunno, she used to (maybe still does) write an article in the Indo where she would hold forth about whatever sport she felt like that week, and very often wrote about hurling and football. You were never any the wiser about the sport after reading it if I'm honest. But to be honest, as a presenter I don't see the problem, knowing the sport inside out isn't her job, it's JJ Delaney's or Jim McGuinness's or whoever. Her job is to draw them out through interviewing skills. I think she does OK at it.

It's a difficult job, we've all seen how bad it can be when someone sub-par is doing it, like when Pat Spillane took over presenting the Sunday Game. His knowledge wasn't much use to him then, because presenting is an art that has nothing to do with the sport. Darragh Moloney showed us how it should be done while Michael Lyster (who is also fantastic) was out sick. Des Cahill is a constant reminder of what can go wrong but he has his moments and genuinely conveys a love of the game too.

Same with Marty in the commentating: he's not perfect but he captures the spirit and the enthusiasm for the game, there's a kind of innocence about Marty's love of a good match. I always find Ger Canning quite insincere in comparison. That might be unfair but, combined with how much he gets wrong and his constant use of a vocabulary that's totally alien to the sport ("looking for latitute", "look at that in reprise" etc etC), I just can't warm to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

danganabu wrote: »
    How is their religous belief anyway relevant to the GAA??

How many GAA grounds are named after Catholic priests or bishops? How many of these same grounds (and club facilities) have been blessed by a Catholic priest only? Aren't GAA clubs based around Catholic parishes? The GAA and the Catholic church were/are hand in glove for years. There is no bar to any other religious playing GAA but you would be under no illusions as to the strong links between the two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

citykat wrote: »
    How many GAA grounds are named after Catholic priests or bishops? How many of these same grounds (and club facilities) have been blessed by a Catholic priest only? Aren't GAA clubs based around Catholic parishes? The GAA and the Catholic church were/are hand in glove for years. There is no bar to any other religious playing GAA but you would be under no illusions as to the strong links between the two.

So? That was a response to 600 years of British imperialism. If you want to go back to that so be it, but I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

So? That was a response to 600 years of British imperialism. If you want to go back to that so be it, but I don't.

Dont worry I don't want to go anywhere. I dont think the Brits want us either so we're safe there. This is about non-catholics playing GAA of which there are very few.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

citykat wrote: »
    This is about non-catholics playing GAA of which there are very few.

I thought it was about the Sunday Game :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

K-9 wrote: »
    Ideally it shouldn't but it would be naive to dismiss it particularly in the 6 counties.

Monaghan?? ;)

Jayop wrote: »
    Monaghan?? ;)

You couldn't resist. I was waiting for someone to say it. :pac:

Monaghan?? ;)

Bit like Donegal I'd have thought.

Used to live in an area that had significant other denominations and participation in GAA sports was minimal enough, not through malice or anything, just not being brought up with GAA in the household type stuff. Had some craic going to big Donegal matches though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ah the Laggan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

K-9 wrote: »
    Moloney is safe though, Marty is more colourful.

I thought the cliche about FF, the GAA and the Church was well known, the 3 pillar organisations in tradiitional rural Ireland, maybe better known in politics.

The three boxes you need ticked to get to heaven - or so I've heard.

• Advertisement

You couldn't resist. I was waiting for someone to say it. :pac:

I did have a flick though the other posts to see if someone else went there, but no, it had to be me.

I did have a flick though the other posts to see if someone else went there, but no, it had to be me.

I was teetering on the edge I was almost going to do it but I thought, nah, sure everyone knows what he means. You've made a real show of yourself here today pulling poor K-9 on such a trivial oversight. ;)

I was teetering on the edge I was almost going to do it but I thought, nah, sure everyone knows what he means. You've made a real show of yourself here today pulling poor K-9 on such a trivial oversight. ;)

I know. I feel like such a bollox now.

Sorry K-9

(if it wasn't a mod I wouldn't be apologising:pac:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Protestants wouldn't wish to play Gaelic games anyway as most of them wouldn't be of gaelic ancestry, it is not the Catholic priests, etc you need to worry about, it is how the GAA keeps closely associating itself with history that is wrong. Clubs names after medieval gaels like Clontibret O'Neills, Eoghan Rua and what not

Protestants wouldn't wish to play Gaelic games anyway as most of them wouldn't be of gaelic ancestry, it is not the Catholic priests, etc you need to worry about, it is how the GAA keeps closely associating itself with history that is wrong. Clubs names after medieval gaels like Clontibret O'Neills, Eoghan Rua and what not

Yeah, that's not what bothers any protestant I've heard discussing the issue. It's the naming of teams and stadiums after nationalist figures of the modern era. And the sense they have that it is essentially a priest ridden organisation

Yeah, that's not what bothers any protestant I've heard discussing the issue. It's the naming of teams and stadiums after nationalist figures of the modern era. And the sense they have that it is essentially a priest ridden organisation

National anthem at games possibly?

National anthem at games possibly?

Yeah, any number of things could be listed before you'd hear any one complain about the use of medieval gaels' names.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I never said that the names did bother the protestants but I am saying that they may feel that is not a part of their culture as the GAA seems to wish to keep itself strongly linked with irish history unlike other sports, could you imagine if the Ulster-Scots had a sport and it was strongly linked with Scotch-Irish history, would you wish to play it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

So I guess St OP/Eoghan Rua playing in Martin Savage park, just off the Martin Savage roundabout would be an issue. Such lack of vision. It's improving though. Everything it Oak view and Pine way now

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    So I guess St OP/Eoghan Rua playing in Martin Savage park, just off the Martin Savage roundabout would be an issue. Such lack of vision. It's improving though. Everything it Oak view and Pine way now

Good job I failed to have my son called Wolfe, might have held him back .

What are you talking about?

Advertisement