Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday Game Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty fast

What's with all this hatred for Curran? He's as good as any of the rest afaic and more than entitled to be a sg pundit. He's drawing ire from good lot here for the life of me I just don't see why. He was correct with what he said last night so why all the disdain? He was only articulating what the dogs on the street already know which is the lack of funding from HQ. I like the guy and think he deserves a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Any reason that they chose to talk about Dublin scoring averages instead of discussing the Kerry game? We got 2 minutes of analysis and 5 minutes of Dublin talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Any reason that they chose to talk about Dublin scoring averages instead of discussing the Kerry game? We got 2 minutes of analysis and 5 minutes of Dublin talk.

I thought it was interesting.
    We know Dublin have been walking the Leinster SFC for the last few years, I didn't know the margins are getting wider.

There was plenty discussion on Kerry as well, strong in attack and defence, cleaned up at midfield, lots of kick-passing etc.
    Not much more to say really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Magill46

What's with all this hatred for Curran? He's as good as any of the rest afaic and more than entitled to be a sg pundit. He's drawing ire from good lot here for the life of me I just don't see why. He was correct with what he said last night so why all the disdain? He was only articulating what the dogs on the street already know which is the lack of funding from HQ. I like the guy and think he deserves a break.
    I think the problem is that Sunday Game already has one village idiot. It doesn't need another, even if he occasionally stumbles onto a good point.

Magill46 wrote: »
    I think the problem is that Sunday Game already has one village idiot. It doesn't need another, even if he occasionally stumbles onto a good point.

I agree with you on Tomás O'Sea but at least Curran is willing to actually speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

What's with all this hatred for Curran? He's as good as any of the rest

Why the hatred? Because the man is a clown from head to toe, every time he speaks on live TV, 10s of 1000's of people around the country are baffled by what he is trying to say.

He has zero charisma, zero tv likeability and zero reason to be there. above all else, he just waffles and rants without having anything to say

His opinion is worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Why the hatred? Because the man is a clown from head to toe, every time he speaks on live TV, 10s of 1000's of people around the country are baffled by what he is trying to say.

He has zero charisma, zero tv likeability and zero reason to be there. above all else, he just waffles and rants without having anything to say

Great quote from Des Cahill, he knows what the viewers awant to know!:

"But Shane, what does that have to do with Fianna Fáil or the Catholic church? Or ostriches even?"

What are you on about with your tens of thousands?

So a few mopey Mary's on here don't like him and that equates to tens of thousands?

I'd call it good old fashioned envy because his own county Roscommon is not chic enough or not as successful as others thus he's deemed like he doesn't know what he's talking about. Gaa snobbery well on display here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

So a few mopey Mary's on here don't like him and that equates to tens of thousands?

I'd call it good old fashioned envy because his own county Roscommon is not chic enough or not as successful as others thus he's deemed like he doesn't know what he's talking about. Gaa snobbery well on display here.

Don't be ridiculous. Westmeath are not exactly the aristocrats of the GAA either, yet Dessie Dolans contributions to TSG have been widely praised. It's got nothing to do with where he is from, or snobbery and everything to do with what is coming out of his mouth. The manager of the London football team even took him to task for his comments about them a few months ago. He hardly qualifies as "a mopey Mary on here" does he?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Nothing to do with GAA snobbery. He talks utter crap. There are plenty big name players from counties who have won loads of All-Irelands that I wouldn't like listening to either.

Someone mentioned something about getting proper GAA journalists on to talk which might be a good idea, although some of them are pretty bad too. But the good ones might be interesting.

Just because you were a good player doesn't mean you have a clue what you are talking about. But I've seen Curran on it twice now and he has been awful both times. I'm sure there are hundreds of Roscommon people who could do a better job than him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with GAA snobbery. He talks utter crap. There are plenty big name players from counties who have won loads of All-Irelands that I wouldn't like listening to either.

Someone mentioned something about getting proper GAA journalists on to talk which might be a good idea, although some of them are pretty bad too. But the good ones might be interesting.

Just because you were a good player doesn't mean you have a clue what you are talking about. But I've seen Curran on it twice now and he has been awful both times. I'm sure there are hundreds of Roscommon people who could do a better job than him.

Wooly from Newstalk/Laoise fame would be good. Was one once I think he said and never asked back.

TSG employ him so they deem him adequate enough. It's none of my business whether he's kept on or not but it seems petty enough for so many to be on his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Jayop wrote: »
    Wooly from Newstalk/Laoise fame would be good. Was one once I think he said and never asked back.
    he's good on the radio.

Very much a players perspective on things.

which in a sense is what Curran is doing too, i.e. without engaging the brain too much on practicalities of whats possible, "more" should be done for coaching for clubs and "less" given to Dublin.
    But like a lot of players and fans, theres no thinking of what the number look like.

So just so we are on the same wavelength, Dublin get a special "Dublin development" fund of 1.4million of the 9million total fund.
    http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/annual_reports/GAA007_GAA_annual_report_2014_financial_section.pdf
    Grand, follow Currans suggestion to kill that grant and give it to all other countys instead and you have 43grand per county (to each of the 32 irish counties, excluding abroad)
    That'd get you one full time officer per county, which in all honestly is NOT going to narrow any gap and make the likes of Leitrim into all Ireland contenders.

And anything beyond that will need some serious funding
    Theres 2126 clubs in Ireland, so say we want a coaching officer per 5 clubs, so the coach spends one work day at each club, thats 425 full time officers which roughly @45grand a head cost (say thats wages and travel) thats 19 million euro to be distributed by HQ.
    Where though in the name of god is this 19 million (or other 8 figure sum) of brand new cash to come from ?

EDIT: and if you did have 19million and did have more coaching, would it REALLY negate the fact that theres multiples of number of players in Donegal or Mayo than Fermanagh or Leitrim. Maybe having better more athletic players with more natural skill that comes from drawing from a larger pool of potential county players is an unchangeable factor that coaching kids cant compensate for

he's good on the radio.

Very much a players perspective on things.

which in a sense is what Curran is doing too, i.e. without engaging the brain too much on practicalities of whats possible, "more" should be done for coaching for clubs and "less" given to Dublin.
    But like a lot of players and fans, theres no thinking of what the number look like.

So just so we are on the same wavelength, Dublin get a special "Dublin development" fund of 1.4million of the 9million total fund.
    http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/annual_reports/GAA007_GAA_annual_report_2014_financial_section.pdf
    Grand, follow Currans suggestion to kill that grant and give it to all other countys instead and you have 43grand per county (to each of the 32 irish counties, excluding abroad)
    That'd get you one full time officer per county, which in all honestly is NOT going to narrow any gap and make the likes of Leitrim into all Ireland contenders.

And anything beyond that will need some serious funding
    Theres 2126 clubs in Ireland, so say we want a coaching officer per 5 clubs, so the coach spends one work day at each club, thats 425 full time officers which roughly @45grand a head cost (say thats wages and travel) thats 19 million euro to be distributed by HQ.
    Where though in the name of god is this 19 million (or other 8 figure sum) of brand new cash to come from ?

We could sell Cluxton to Real Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

TSG employ him so they deem him adequate enough. It's none of my business whether he's kept on or not but it seems petty enough for so many to be on his case.

How is it petty? People think he is talking rubbish, which he is. And to be honest, I'm not sure TSG are the best judges of pundits judging by some of their other choices. Who knows whether they even bothered looking for someone else, maybe they just appointed Curran because he's a 'character'.

There is a stark contrast between some of the analysts on RTE- I find Liam Sheedy, for example, very good. Pat Spillane, on the other hand, is well past. Cliché-ridden, very little actual analysis done.

I don't like repeating myself.

Dammit, my witty one liner was lost at the bottom of the last page. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Patww79 wrote: »
    That's a different sport you're describing. By all means start it up and see where it goes, but don't reduce football to that.
    It would remove the physical aspect but increase the skillful aspect of the game. Its a big divide in opinion. Personally I like players who avoid contact and defenders who tackle the ball. Technically by the rule book you cannot run at a set defender or do those aggressive hits at arms when tackling. If only the steps rule could be enforced. So many high profile big physical players would be replaced. Guys 15 stone don't usually have the skills of smaller players. Bar exceptions like Murphy/OShea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

How is it petty? People think he is talking rubbish, which he is. And to be honest, I'm not sure TSG are the best judges of pundits judging by some of their other choices. Who knows whether they even bothered looking for someone else, maybe they just appointed Curran because he's a 'character'.

There is a stark contrast between some of the analysts on RTE- I find Liam Sheedy, for example, very good. Pat Spillane, on the other hand, is well past. Cliché-ridden, very little actual analysis done.

I have actually watched it back and he was embarrassing himself.
    His attempts at humourous analogies was like something that you'd hear from the annoying, loudmouth, know-it-all lad who exists in every local pub.

In the space of the last hour there have been over fifty visits to my profile page.:eek:

• Advertisement

Please forgive my bad manners earlier today Fireball I was rude to have been short with you like that.

Personally I don't think he talks any rubbish he speaks his mind you either like it or you don't. People I believe are ridiculing him because it's fashionable. Cahill shows little class trying to make him look foolish.
    You make a good point about RTE employing him because of his "character" value. That could be it.

Currans point was describing how even successful institutions can have inherent weaknesses. Hence Catholic Church/FiAnna Fail. I believe his point stands. The distribution of resources needs to be balanced in a fair way.
    Then his point on where will GAA be in 20 years if we just coast along as is.
    There's a new Irish phenomenon to jump on the bandwagon and feign puzzlement at any point that requires a not that complex leap in logical association. Martin McHughs joke on bringing Kerry women up to Monaghan. Probably not the place for it but with herd thinking there was a lot of "I have no idea what he means" thrown around for what was a straightforward joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Curran seems like like he's much better suited to a text-based medium or even possibly radio wherein he would have more time to properly think before he speaks. Some of his analogies I could get by reading between the lines, (At least I think I know what he was trying to say) however there's no denying that he made a complete balls of his argument on the national broadcaster.

He did bring up some good points, like the Catholic church or Fianna Fail way back when, nobody really would have foreseen their current state and their decline. I think Curran is saying simply that if the GAA doesn't address some of it's issues sooner rather than later, we could see a big decline in the organisation and in gaelic games in decades to come. Of course it could be entirely speculation, and if not it doesn't necessarily mean he knows his stuff (A broken clock is right twice a day etc.)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Martin McHughs joke on bringing Kerry women up to Monaghan. Probably not the place for it but with herd thinking there was a lot of "I have no idea what he means" thrown around for what was a straightforward joke.
    There certainly was. It had to be explained here too, and it was on the journal about it being in someway cryptic. It was funny and you say it coming too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

timmyntc wrote: »
    Curran seems like like he's much better suited to a text-based medium or even possibly radio wherein he would have more time to properly think before he speaks. Some of his analogies I could get by reading between the lines, (At least I think I know what he was trying to say) however there's no denying that he made a complete balls of his argument on the national broadcaster.

He did bring up some good points, like the Catholic church or Fianna Fail way back when, nobody really would have foreseen their current state and their decline. I think Curran is saying simply that if the GAA doesn't address some of it's issues sooner rather than later, we could see a big decline in the organisation and in gaelic games in decades to come. Of course it could be entirely speculation, and if not it doesn't necessarily mean he knows his stuff (A broken clock is right twice a day etc.)
    Part of the problem is an unskilled oaf in Cahill unable to tease out the subtleties of the point he was (crudely) trying to make. Anything apart from "Dublin were great, weren't they" or "isn't the Gooch/James O'Donoghue just fantastic " veers from the script & can't compute on the Dessie Processor 2.0.

You know who doesn't get enough praise? Marty Morrissey.

He's an excellent commentator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Easily the best in the business. Never sounds like he's filling time with meaningless nonsense and seems to know everything about every player.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Agreed. Not only does he know his stuff better than anyone, something about his commentary genuinely makes the games more enjoyable and exciting. You take it for granted until you have to watch a match on Sky and the atmosphere just seems terrible (granted some of the games they shows are fairly low attendance qualifiers, but even the big games are made so dull by whoever sky have conscripted into their studio)

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Easily the best in the business. Never sounds like he's filling time with meaningless nonsense and seems to know everything about every player.
    Quite like Marty and Canning.
    Tom Carr has been shocking. Firmly rooted to cliche and missing obvious stuff. "James ODonoghue seems to have a shoulder or elbow hopefully not too serious and can continue". Who would not know about his shoulder problem?
    Then he wouldn't stop saying "Intensity".

Advertisement