Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****2014 LC English Paper Two 2014 - Higher Level - Before and after discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 courtney95

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I did the struggle for power between Macbeth and Banquo and Macbeth and Duncan. I would have loved to have written about LAdy macbeth I know her so well but I couldnt really see how she was struglling for power with macbeth, same with the witches.

Overall nice paper tho!! Yeats came up:D

I've just asked my English teacher from the institute and he said Lady Macbeth, Banquo and the Witches were perfect for that q. thank god :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

aleatorio wrote: »
    I said that her and Macbeth were struggling for power in the relationship, like being the dominant figure, and talked about how she manipulated him which impacted on the outcome of the story significantly, but then the dynamic changed and she became marginalised and Macbeth became the dominant figure
    And then I did Macbeth and Banquo and said how Banquo and he had a power stuggle because Banquo had the power to usurp him and eventually caused macbeths downfall, and Macbeth felt Banquo threatened his power because of the witches prophecies

That is exactly what I wrote :eek:

Except I added 2 small paragraphs on Malcolm in the end but other than that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 giraffegoat

Kevink7501 wrote: »
    I tied a bit of kingship into the Macbeth question talking about his relationship with Duncan Edward and Malcolm is that ok :L

yeah that's what i just said above...like kingship is what the question meant. the use of the term power struggle in the question made me assume it was about Macbeth's lust for kingship and his relationship with those in the way of him getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Kevink7501 wrote: »
    I tied a bit of kingship into the Macbeth question talking about his relationship with Duncan Edward and Malcolm is that ok :L

Well I don't really think Macbeth had a relationship with Edward. Nor Malcolm really.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahkiely125

I said that her and Macbeth were struggling for power in the relationship, like being the dominant figure, and talked about how she manipulated him which impacted on the outcome of the story significantly, but then the dynamic changed and she became marginalised and Macbeth became the dominant figure
    And then I did Macbeth and Banquo and said how Banquo and he had a power stuggle because Banquo had the power to usurp him and eventually caused macbeths downfall, and Macbeth felt Banquo threatened his power because of the witches prophecies

I wanted to talk about Macduff too but ran out of time :(

I literally did the exact same thing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Okay..let's hope the three of our papers aren't corrected by the same person :D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

The macbeth question was open for interpretation. As long as you backed up your points with valid arguments you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I did Lady Macbeth for 2 paragraphs, Banquo, Macduff and the Witches for one. Backed each up I think so should be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

yeah that's what i just said above...like kingship is what the question meant. the use of the term power struggle in the question made me assume it was about Macbeth's lust for kingship and his relationship with those in the way of him getting it

If it was about kingship specifically they would have put more emphasis on that - the marking scheme will probably say 'accept any treatment of the word 'power'' like it always does for ambiguous questions :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    That is exactly what I wrote :eek:

Except I added 2 small paragraphs on Malcolm in the end but other than that :eek:

That said, my post just there was probably more eloquent than the bull**** I wrote in the exam, so :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

That said, my post just there was probably more eloquent than the bull**** I wrote in the exam, so :o

Same thing happened with me.. It was like every word I learned after my 9th birthday just left my brain for 3 and a half hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahkiely125

courtney95 wrote: »
    I've just asked my English teacher from the institute and he said Lady Macbeth, Banquo and the Witches were perfect for that q. thank god :)

I love you for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SassyCastiel

a0ifee wrote: »
    did anyone do the second macbeth question? I'm just curious as to what ye said because I wouldn't even know how to start that question :pac:

I did that one and now I'm scared I shouldn't have :( But I wrote about Foreshadowing, Pathetic Fallacy, Situation Irony and Dramatic Irony and I'm not sure if they're right lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dudenaite

I only did barely 4 pages on Macbeth?
    I feel like my hopes for an A are GONE. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 42 K6Y

That was better than paper 1 imo. I hope oppression/lack of freedom counts as a 'difficulty/crisis' for the cultural context question, because that's all I wrote about!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mayo4sam14

I wrote about lady macbeth, banquo and macduff. Is that ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I honestly have no idea how I did in English. Could of got a B could of failed. I can't afford to fail :(

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

Mayo4sam14 wrote: »
    I wrote about lady macbeth, banquo and macduff. Is that ok?

Done the exact same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

I was thrilled to see Yeats come up but that was about as difficult, obscure and esoteric a question as they could have chosen to throw at us about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DamoSquad

I wrote about Lady Macbeth, Duncan, Banquo, MacDuff and Malcolm. Did I over dilute? I got 6 pages

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

I'm a bit worried about the Dickinson question hearing how everyone thought it was grand, did ye all manage to answer the dramatic techniques part well?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

If it was about kingship specifically they would have put more emphasis on that - the marking scheme will probably say 'accept any treatment of the word 'power'' like it always does for ambiguous questions :P

Yeah I kinda interpreted it differently ! LIke I said Banquo had a lust for bringing the power of justice upon the murderer of duncan which threatened Macbeth

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rachie24

Dudenaite wrote: »
    I only did barely 4 pages on Macbeth?
    I feel like my hopes for an A are GONE. :(

Only wrote 4 pages for Macbeth last year and I came out with an A...once you stuck to the question then you'll be fine...quality not quantity :)

K6Y wrote: »
    That was better than paper 1 imo. I hope oppression/lack of freedom counts as a 'difficulty/crisis' for the cultural context question, because that's all I wrote about!

Of course it does :p Guys nobody has a wrong opinion in english. If you think somethings right and you give reasons for it then you cant be marked down for it:)

Rachie24 wrote: »
    Only wrote 4 pages for Macbeth last year and I came out with an A...once you stuck to the question then you'll be fine...quality not quantity :)

Me too I did 3.5 and got A1

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

Did a quality answer on Dickinson.. wrote around 4 and 1/2.
    Completely messed up Macbeth after doing so much work for it.
    Comparative was ok. Did the cultural context in the end after studying GVAV all morning.
    The unseen was tricky enough I thought, but I think I managed it ok.

Anyways, did much better in paper 1 enough. I think paper two will reflect what I did in the past 2 years. Which is pretty much nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I just did Macbeth's relationship with Lady Macbeth and Macduff :/ damn the witches would have been a brilliant one! I was going to do Banquo but then decided on Macduff as I thought he would be better but now idk! Hope it went ok :/

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

That paper was amazing, Yeats and cultural context, my favourite two from both sections!

I wrote about Lady Macbeth and the witches in the Macbeth question, hopefully that's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 123corby

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    I just did Macbeth's relationship with Lady Macbeth and Macduff :/ damn the witches would have been a brilliant one! I was going to do Banquo but then decided on Macduff as I thought he would be better but now idk! Hope it went ok :/

Same! Ah sure we be grand! No more english again anyways :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

Shane15 wrote: »
    That paper was amazing, Yeats and cultural context, my favourite two from both sections!

I wrote about Lady Macbeth and the witches in the Macbeth question, hopefully that's okay.
    Did all of what you posted. Didn't like the Yeats question but can't complain, if I was picking a paper all of what came up today would have been in it.

Advertisement