Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New minister for Education?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

As a school steward for 7 years I left the ASTI the day after the third Croke Park/Haddington Road vote. I don't have time for unions that run elections in an atmosphere of intimidation.

They'll roll over on JC reform - liked they rolled over on everything else.

Useless bastards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Let's stay on topic, please.

If people have any opinions on the new Minister, let's hear them.
    If people want to slag off unions, make a new thread.
    If people want to slag off each other, please read the charter and resist the temptation.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Wicklowleaid

I wish Jan O'Sullivan all the best in her new role, I am delighted to hear of her commitment to the new Junior Cycle Specification!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I wish Jan O'Sullivan all the best in her new role, I am delighted to hear of her commitment to the new Junior Cycle Specification!

Sooo you are happy that she has decided to carry on exactly as RQ without consulting teachers? (And don't forget the introduction of performance league tables, whats the story there... who asked for this, wheres the research)
    Don't you think it strange that she has no mind of her own?
    Do you know who are her advisors?

I just wish her all the best and am delighted that new the new junior cycle specification will proceed. Happy weekend, have a good one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I just wish her all the best and am delighted that new the new junior cycle specification will proceed. Happy weekend, have a good one :)

I have yet to meet a teacher who is happy with the spec. Are you one of Jan's new advisers????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Troll-dont feed.

MOD. Warning.

Please report posts as Mods usually get them quicker than checking all threads at the end of the day.

Do not respond to this post

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

MOD Warning:

This is primarily a discussion forum, so if members wish to post inflammatory statements without discussing then it goes against the charter (flame baiting).

I just wish the poster all the best with their infraction and am delighted that this discussion may proceed.

Happy weekend, have a good one.

Do not respond to this post.
    :)

Edit: infraction subsequently reversed as member qualified statement and didn't intend to flame.

<Mod Snip>

Off-topicness may occur... (I know, I'm guilty sometimes too!)

However, gentle nudges will occasionally be given (See Mod Post #126 for gentle hint).

There's loads of space on this forum for new threads too.

Member has been warned.

So.... let's talk about the New Education Minister.

Wow, you guys have been busy since I was last on! To clarify I do wish the new minister all the best I know nothing about her as a proud Fianna Fail supporter but our profession will be watching her and her performance, it's too important a task to fail. I am a HUGE supporter of the new junior cycle, I know a lot of people are not and I do not want to drag this thread off discussion into the new framework for junior cycle.

And to wish you ALL a happy weekend, it's July :):)

• Advertisement

Mod Snip (again!)

Mrwhite1970: Your reply was deleted as you came late to class after mod warning #123 which asked members not to post things which you did. Hence I didn't entertain talk of the fight that took place in the yard before the class had started.

killbillvol2 and Mrwhite1970, I've deleted the personal interactions between both of ye. Both had valid points of rebuttal etc. so I think it wouldn't be fair to delete one post and not the other.

sorry for the censorship but I think it was the fairest way of dealing with off topic personal discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭doc_17

Has the new Minister met with the new Union top brass yet? I listened to an interview she did on the radio and while she was fairly clear that the JCSA would proceed she did hint at a more lenient approach toward small rural schools. Although as a friend of mine in one such school told me, most of the damage has already been inflicted at this stage and some of those schools may not recover.

As regards the JCSA I'm not sure how she will proceed. I believe an appointment has already been made for someone to oversee how schools are marking their students, that is to ensure consistency across the board. So maybe that will be an immediate source of difficulty for her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

You know what guys I think we're being a tad naive here .While Quinn no doubt had some 'hobbyhorses/agendas' eg reducing influence of religion/religious in schools there cant be much doubt that at the end of the day he was told SAVE MONEY/SPEND LESS ,simple as .All the talk since 2008 has been on 'efficiency/streamlining' ie 'save money'.Id imagine the senior civil servants and top four or five politicos in the country are running the show in this and most departments.At the end of the day Quinn got the boot , he was the monkey not the organ grinder (of course following on that analogy we're the fleas on the monkey!).Jan will do what shes told to do ,give or take one or two 'hobby horses'...Education like Health etc etc (heck THE COUNTRY) is being run on a 'business model' ,its not about people or providing services/support/protection now ,its about money .(for WHOM!?)

Wow, you guys have been busy since I was last on! To clarify I do wish the new minister all the best I know nothing about her as a proud Fianna Fail supporter but our profession will be watching her and her performance, it's too important a task to fail. I am a HUGE supporter of the new junior cycle, I know a lot of people are not and I do not want to drag this thread off discussion into the new framework for junior cycle.

And to wish you ALL a happy weekend, it's July :):)

Any specific detail on why you like it? I will be honest and still say you are taking the piss but lets see the details you like?

2011abc wrote: »
    You know what guys I think we're being a tad naive here .While Quinn no doubt had some 'hobbyhorses/agendas' eg reducing influence of religion/religious in schools there cant be much doubt that at the end of the day he was told SAVE MONEY/SPEND LESS ,simple as .All the talk since 2008 has been on 'efficiency/streamlining' ie 'save money'.Id imagine the senior civil servants and top four or five politicos in the country are running the show in this and most departments.At the end of the day Quinn got the boot , he was the monkey not the organ grinder (of course following on that analogy we're the fleas on the monkey!).Jan will do what shes told to do ,give or take one or two 'hobby horses'...Education like Health etc etc (heck THE COUNTRY) is being run on a 'business model' ,its not about people or providing services/support/protection now ,its about money .(for WHOM!?)

I agree with you but there are also neo educationalists who think active learning is the be all and end all and see this JC as the only way to get us to teach differently ie unless the exam changes nothing changes. They believe its all about the journey and not the destination blah blah. ie with goggle who needs to know anything? All nonsense of course. Anyway-we need to grow a pair or this will be pushed through. I still have hope we will fight.

This my friends and occasionally misguided trolls from the garden county is where we will get our facts
    http://www.spiked-online.com/review_of_books/article/exploding_seven_myths_about_education/15162#.U9T9WvldUTA

Advertisement